View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
dab282

Thanks for running it Trouts, here are my two cents:

Keeper vs Dynasty

A keeper league is a league where we keep a small number of players, dynasty would be closer to half your team. I've been in 2 dynasty leagues where we kept 10 major leaguers and 2 minor leaguers. You have to establish ALL keeper rules prior to a draft.

Minor leaguers to be kept between seasons have to have established guidelines: ie hitter has 150 career MLB AB, pitchers get an innings limit or appearances limit. Also, players who are MLB doing rehab in minor leagues cannot be placed in minor league spots. International signings like Yu Darvish are also not eligible for minor leagues unless they begin their career there (think Aroldis Chapman).

In the league with higher keepers we have more starting spots, I actually designed the 12 team 10 keeper league to reflect a major league roster with 25 active spots and 8 bench spots (didn't go to 40 because the player pool gets too thin).

Scoring:

I personally prefer points as opposed to categories. However, if you want to do categories...

batting:
Hits R 2B 3B HR RBI BB SB AVG

BB should be replaced with OBP and hits should be replaced with 1B as you will get double credit for the other categories (2b,3b,HR).

pitching:
IP H ER BB K W L SV HD ERA WHIP

ER and ERA is redundant, IP is not necessary. Unless you intend on adding more pitching spots, there is also no need to include Holds. Another few decent categories for pitchers are K/9 and K/BB.

However you do the categories, you need to even up pitching and hitting categories.

For points based you are able to give bonuses for things like cycles, grandslams, shutouts, complete games, etc.

The other thing I see is the number of pitching slots, I think it should be at least 8.

Also, daily lineups or weekly lineups?