Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Topps Now & The Living Sets

Notices

Topps Now & The Living Sets Post your Topps Now Hobby Talk

Old 01-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #26
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoemay View Post
Well they gave out 20 random cards last year that were signed (Good luck trying to find one or get one if you didn't receive it from Topps)...it was more of a promotion I think. Anyway, if you didn't buy the #100 Crawford, you didn't get it...but only 10 people got them and it was random. I got one (as a huge buyer at the time I thought that was why)...when the Ichiro came out #154 had 10 autographed versions...I didn't get one. Topps told me that if I got one it was highly unlikely I would get another one, so I figured that all 20 went to different buyers (by design). Will they do it again?? I don't think so...but they may and if you don't buy through Topps only the dealers and flippers with get those.
Or the random lucky guy who buys one Ichiro and gets the Ichiro signed card! ...I'm not jealous...seriously I'm not
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToppsNow
joejoemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #27
joejoemay

If I was a betting man though I wouldn't worry about Topps giving away autographs again. It was nice but I think it was how they tested the market. At least one Crawford changed hands at over $1000 and I don't think I've seen an Ichiro up for less then $10K (though none have sold as far as I know). They tested the relic market with the Hosmer AS game card and realized what they could get for these cards by watching the secondary market....they have only underestimated the Bryant / Rizzo (Bryzzo) card so far....as it seems it is the only relic that has been a money maker for flippers.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
joejoemay

Okay back to 2017 Talk...if you didn't catch it on the 16' thread, Topps said (to me via Facebook): "It's a new season so it will be a new design. We will have more details about Topps Now soon."
So new design...I had asked about numbering but I think it can be assumed by their reply that it is a given that the numbering will be new and starting at 1...not 666 as I had hoped. :-) Not a Satanist, I just wanted the numbering to continue like a comic book would...continuing to tell the story of baseball. But alas as Mick Jagger wisely stated "You can't always get what you want." You Millennials should listen to that wisdom.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #29
armstrong
Banned

Quote:
If I was a betting man though I wouldn't worry about Topps giving away autographs again. It was nice but I think it was how they tested the market. At least one Crawford changed hands at over $1000 and I don't think I've seen an Ichiro up for less then $10K (though none have sold as far as I know). They tested the relic market with the Hosmer AS game card and realized what they could get for these cards by watching the secondary market....they have only underestimated the Bryant / Rizzo (Bryzzo) card so far....as it seems it is the only relic that has been a money maker for flippers.
I think it's safe to say, Topps and Fred will never give autos away for free again. Although, there is something they can do for FREE. They could give out original Printing Plates from 2016 Topps Now cards.

It's:

1. Something they don't need anymore.
2. Has value to us, but not to them.
3. Can be a bonus for buying directly from topps....placed and sent RANDOMLY to Topps Now Baseball orders THROUGHOUT THE SEASON.
4. Would be awesome to collect and see....can you imagine getting the printing plate for /10 Ichiro auto? Or the Brizzy Dual Auto? Or Kris Bryant / Trout dual auto? Obviously these wont come with autos, but still, it's NICE!
5. ENSURES US they will never remake a 2016 Topps Now card again (per our blood agreement).

Last edited by armstrong; 01-26-2017 at 04:04 PM.
armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
I think it's safe to say, Topps and Fred will never give autos away for free again. Although, there is something they can do for FREE. They could give out original Printing Plates from 2016 Topps Now cards.

It's:

3. Can be a bonus for buying directly from topps....placed and sent RANDOMLY to Topps Now Baseball orders THROUGHOUT THE SEASON.
4. Would be awesome to collect and see....can you imagine getting the printing plate for /10 Ichiro auto? Or the Brizzy Dual Auto? Or Kris Bryant / Trout dual auto? NICE!
5. ENSURES US they will never remake a Topps Now card again (per our blood agreement).

if they have the plates, they'd do well making a foil stamped factory set
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #31
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
Boo hiss!

Though it wouldn't bother me so much anymore, I think it would drive the program down...especially if they made it limited edition to a certain number of sets.

I never seen them redo eTopps cards...they do all sorts of years in 5x7's etc but not eTopps. Perhaps they will keep their blood oath!
Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #32
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Boo hiss!

Though it wouldn't bother me so much anymore, I think it would drive the program down...especially if they made it limited edition to a certain number of sets.

I never seen them redo eTopps cards...they do all sorts of years in 5x7's etc but not eTopps. Perhaps they will keep their blood oath!
Perhaps, but always remember.... Topps will Topps!

#ThanksTopps
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #33
armstrong
Banned

Quote:
Fred and his minions at Topps Now know already, reprinting Topps Now cards, is violation of our sacred blood oath, and a strict no-no.

All of Topps Now's heavy buyers stand firm on this

Old 01-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #34
NorCalSCM

Ahh another year. Another thread. Is it spring training yet?
NorCalSCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:25 PM   #35
notoriousrmb

Yay.

Had to get it in there somewhere

Once again this year I'll be buying all Cardinal cards as well as any events that appear to be historically significant. I had no interest in the so-and-so goes 3-4 with a homer cards, but a 20k game, a no-no, 3000 hits, etc are the ones I'll pick up every time!
notoriousrmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #36
Ericlingy

@LCM1223 Same lol Great thread guys. Topps is my all-time favorite card company anyways. When I saw some of my favorite acting instructors recommend them, I was like this is it? This is my brand. Most don't know this but actors love collecting baseball cards.

Last edited by Ericlingy; 07-21-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Ericlingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #37
TimBuckTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCM1223 View Post
You had me at Jessica Alba
Jessica is SMOKIN' HOT !!!
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #38
vwnut13

Quote:

It's:

4. Would be awesome to collect and see....can you imagine getting the printing plate for /10 Ichiro auto? Or the Brizzy Dual Auto? Or Kris Bryant / Trout dual auto? Obviously these wont come with autos, but still, it's NICE!
5. ENSURES US they will never remake a 2016 Topps Now card again (per our blood agreement).

Are these even printed with plates? With such short print runs I don't know if it would make sense to burn plates to make these cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if these are printed in house with an industrial inkjet printed.
vwnut13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #39
Carrbeaz

Quote:
As much as you keep saying it, it won't ever happen.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #40
kpete42

Anybody going to go after completing an entire 2017 set?
kpete42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #41
armstrong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpete42 View Post
I will have this much respect <------------------ -----------------> for the person who can achieve that.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #42
kpete42

Quote:
I will have this much respect <------------------ -----------------> for the person who can achieve that.
Yeah, that strategy would have to be buying from the pre sellers at around $6/card, but even then....man.....
kpete42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #43
RossOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
Are these even printed with plates? With such short print runs I don't know if it would make sense to burn plates to make these cards.

I wouldn't be surprised if these are printed in house with an industrial inkjet printed.
Yeah, these are definitely printed digitally, so no printing plates.

Also, I doubt they'll recycle the 2017 Topps design for this year's Topps NOW. I'm glad, too, because the 2017 flagship design is beyond ugly. I'm sure after a year of it, they've learned what kind of stuff they'll have to plan for and allow the design to accommodate all of the various interations (combo cards, autos, call-ups, etc.). Last year's definitely felt rushed but they did a decent job on the fly.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #44
ToppsCollector1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206 View Post
Im not really into Topps now, but I might want to start gettings all the Mets cards they put out. How many do you think that will be per year? Also how much are Topps Now cards?
Neither am I.

If anything ill buy the Cubs ring / trophy card if its made.

And possibly any throwback uniform card. There were only a handful last year. I think 6 by june? Can someone find a total?

Last edited by ToppsCollector1; 01-26-2017 at 08:02 PM.
ToppsCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:53 AM   #45
fulltritty

Quote:
OK here it is, figured I would start it since I post the most in the last one. Please keep the conversation to Topps Now Baseball....I will start threads on other pages for other Topps Now Products.

Here is to another great year!
Thank you so much.
fulltritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #46
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpete42 View Post
Most likely will continue...I keep saying I will pick only ones I really like but will most likely be buying from Paul at Rockledge Sports Cards. He seems to have the best deal going.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #47
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppsCollector1 View Post
Neither am I.

If anything ill buy the Cubs ring / trophy card if its made.

And possibly any throwback uniform card. There were only a handful last year. I think 6 by june? Can someone find a total?
There was only the one throw back uniform card (For the day they did it), might have been a few others printed the same day but the photos come from the day of the event so I can't see any having Throwback uniforms other then the day they did it.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #48
fulltritty

I'll continue to only purchase the Yankee cards, I thought about maybe call-up cards for big names, but with this being the second year, you have to think print runs on those would be a lot higher.
fulltritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #49
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltritty View Post
I'll continue to only purchase the Yankee cards, I thought about maybe call-up cards for big names, but with this being the second year, you have to think print runs on those would be a lot higher.
I am not sure they will be crazy high...the average last year was in the 800 range so I think we will see plenty of 400ish and lower cards...but not on call up's and rookies most likely
Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #50
ToppsCollector1

Quote:
There was only the one throw back uniform card (For the day they did it), might have been a few others printed the same day but the photos come from the day of the event so I can't see any having Throwback uniforms other then the day they did it.
Across all teams in the league there were a few. Theres a Kendrys Morales card in may, and then some white sox cards

Kendrys Morales -May 15

#270 - July 20th -MLB Turn Back the Clock

Last edited by ToppsCollector1; 01-29-2017 at 01:24 PM.
ToppsCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote