HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Wolves4Life

Default Hart trophy nominees

Giroux

Getzlaf

Crosby

Discuss.

Grioux SHOULD win the award but Crosby is the NHL's meal ticket so he will win, Flyers without Giroux getting hot don't make the playoffs in my opinion. Pens had injuries but without Crosby they will have Geno and are still a top 3 team.
Wolves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
RBKSNIPZ

Getzlaf should win it. He has more heart then both those punks.
RBKSNIPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
ejs23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolves4Life View Post

Grioux SHOULD win the award but Crosby is the NHL's meal ticket so he will win, Flyers without Giroux getting hot don't make the playoffs in my opinion. Pens had injuries but without Crosby they will have Geno and are still a top 3 team.
it's not even close this year.

without Crosby the Pens have Malkin? Malkin missed over a quarter of the season injured. Crosby won the scoring title while leading a team that suffered over 500 man-games worth of injuries... which includes a significant amount of games missed by Malkin, Neal and Dupuis.

Crosby was involved in something like 45% of all Pens goals... most in the league. he had more time on ice than any other forward in the league. he took more faceoffs than any other player in the league. he led a roster full of AHL talent to 2nd in the east and into the playoffs.

we get it. people either hate Crosby and don't want to see him win it or think their guy deserves it because he was the best player on their team... but take an unbiased look at the stats and it's an obvious choice.

Last edited by ejs23; 05-01-2014 at 12:49 PM.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
RBKSNIPZ

Personally I feel like Toews is the Lebron James and Cindy is the Kevin Durant.

Anybody with me on that?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
ejs23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBKSNIPZ View Post

Anybody with me on that?

i guess Rangers fans will find out starting tomorrow night.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
RBKSNIPZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs23 View Post
i guess Rangers fans will find out starting tomorrow night.
Oooooo I'm scared lol.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
k13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBKSNIPZ View Post

Anybody with me on that?
LOL

Not even close.

Maybe if lebron averaged like 14.7 PPG and 5 RPG and 3 app.

Maybe like Tony Parker or something.
k13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
DetectiveChrome

Tough. All have a case for it.

I gotta say Crosby though.

Scoring title, better on draws (getting better each year), a ton of injuries to overcome to his team....Still played 80 games too.

For shipping purposes: I'm from Toronto (Canada)
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Wolves4Life

Quote:

without Crosby the Pens have Malkin? Malkin missed over a quarter of the season injured. Crosby won the scoring title while leading a team that suffered over 500 man-games worth of injuries... which includes a significant amount of games missed by Malkin, Neal and Dupuis.

Crosby was involved in something like 45% of all Pens goals... most in the league. he had more time on ice than any other forward in the league. he took more faceoffs than any other player in the league. he led a roster full of AHL talent to 2nd in the east and into the playoffs.

we get it. people either hate Crosby and don't want to see him win it or think their guy deserves it because he was the best player on their team... but take an unbiased look at the stats and it's an obvious choice.
As injured as Pens have been even without Crosby they are still a good team. They have a ton of depth that helped when the injuries happened, EVERYONE outside of Flyers fans wrote the Flyers out of any hope for the playoffs with their 3-9-0 start. Giroux got hot and turned the Flyers hopeless chance into making the Stanley Cup playoffs, He might have no showed in the playoffs but MVP is awarded for regular season play and he deserves it more than Crosby or Getz who has a HOF'er on his side.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
Craig

Tough call for me between Crosby and Getzlaf.

As much as I root against the Penguins, Crosby had a great year offensively and didn't stink it up on the back end. I know he didn't really light it up in the first round of the playoffs, but I also know that's not considered.

Getzlaf led Anaheim to a spot close to the top of a much tougher conference, and the guy is a leader. Does everything well, and points don't come close to telling the whole story for him.

My vote would go to Getzlaf, although I don't think the choice of Crosby is by any means a bad one.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
ncm7772

Crosby
Getzlaf
Giroux

All deserving, for sure. I choose Crosby because without him, the Pens are a slightly below average team. With his play this year, they got the 2nd seed in their conference.

Amazing how a pro sports discussion is seemingly incapable of people having conversations, and invariably has at least half the posts being of the red-faced, gritted teeth-typing insults by homers varieties.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
rippit

Quote:

This.

I think it's hilarious this is even a discussion. People hate Crosby so much that they'll look for any reason to say it should go to anyone else. Every national outlet I've seen, including Yahoo, TSN and Sports Illustrated, many of whom actually have votes, has Crosby at the top of their ballot. Even Sam Carchidi, the FLYERS BEAT WRITER for crying out loud, has Crosby at the top of his ballot. He'll not only win it, he'll win it in a landslide.
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
ncm7772

Dude, that post will make those people I mentioned earlier BEET RED!
Old 05-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
rippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Dude, that post will make those people I mentioned earlier BEET RED!
It's funny, all I do is state facts and people get mad. And the fact is, every voter who has publicized his ballot has Crosby #1. I'm not even going to make an argument for him because ej summed it up very nicely and I couldn't improve on it.

In any other year it would be Getzlaf, and I'll think he'll win one in the next few years. As far as Giroux, I absolutely can't stand him, but I can understand why he'd be a finalist. Personally, I thought the three finalists should have been Crosby, Getzlaf and Varlomov.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #15
cinnakaok

Well i won't disagree with the fact that Crosby will win it and should win it. I will disagree with using the argument that he plays on a team with a bunch of AHL talent. If his teammates weren't good enough to be in the NHL they wouldn't be. That's my only disagreement.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
GoJays

Ryan Getzlaf is the best player in the world IMO, and I think he should win the award.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
Wolves4Life

No one is saying Crosby isn't good but he's not the MVP this year (though I agree he will sadly win). Giroux helped a team dead in the water rebound and reach the playoffs. Award is Most Valuable, Yes Crosby is valuable but is he Most Valuable? Pens have 2 MVP 's on their team, Giroux was 3rd in the NHL in scoring and no one outside of Philly gave the team a chance to do anything especially after last year. In my opinion not as a homer but as a hockey fan none of the other 2 were more valuable to the success of their team than Claude Giroux was.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
This.

I think it's hilarious this is even a discussion. People hate Crosby so much that they'll look for any reason to say it should go to anyone else. Every national outlet I've seen, including Yahoo, TSN and Sports Illustrated, many of whom actually have votes, has Crosby at the top of their ballot. Even Sam Carchidi, the FLYERS BEAT WRITER for crying out loud, has Crosby at the top of his ballot. He'll not only win it, he'll win it in a landslide.
Again, I think you're letting the comments of a select few create an apparent persecution complex. Most of us, even those who don't like the Pens, have no hatred towards a guy who is arguably the best player of his generation. In my opinion, nobody has been better since 2005, and I am a huge Toews fan.

I think many Pens fans are tilting at windmills when it comes to Crosby. You have a team with two out of this world talents. Stop worrying about the comments, which don't reflect majority opinion, that you're always going to hear about guys like Crosby, Lebron, Brady, etc. and just enjoy the show!
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #19
rippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnakaok View Post
Well i won't disagree with the fact that Crosby will win it and should win it. I will disagree with using the argument that he plays on a team with a bunch of AHL talent. If his teammates weren't good enough to be in the NHL they wouldn't be. That's my only disagreement.
Gibbons, Megna, Pyatt, Kobasew, Zach Sill, Chris Conner. All of them played at least 19 games for the Pens this year, and all but Sill and Conner played more than 30. Gibbons, Megna, Sill and Conner were all AHL callups. Pyatt was a waiver wire pickup. Kobasew is washed up and spent quite a bit of time injured or in the AHL this year. That's 6 AHL-caliber or true AHL players. Add to that the fact that Malkin missed 22 games, Neal missed 25 games, Dupuis missed 43 games, Martin 45 missed games, and Letang missed 47 games. Crosby carried the team this year.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
Wolves4Life

Quote:
Gibbons, Megna, Pyatt, Kobasew, Zach Sill, Chris Conner. All of them played at least 19 games for the Pens this year, and all but Sill and Conner played more than 30. Gibbons, Megna, Sill and Conner were all AHL callups. Pyatt was a waiver wire pickup. Kobasew is washed up and spent quite a bit of time injured or in the AHL this year. That's 6 AHL-caliber or true AHL players. Add to that the fact that Malkin missed 22 games, Neal missed 25 games, Dupuis missed 43 games, Martin 45 missed games, and Letang missed 47 games. Crosby carried the team this year.
I think it's more good coaching and guys called up producing then it's just Crosby "carried" them. Pens without Crosby are still a top 3 team, But sadly voters are biased to the meal tickets of the league so Crosby will win no one disputes that.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #21
rippit

Quote:
I think it's more good coaching and guys called up producing then it's just Crosby "carried" them. Pens without Crosby are still a top 3 team, But sadly voters are biased to the meal tickets of the league so Crosby will win no one disputes that.
Okay, let's look at their production:

Gibbons - 39 GP, 5G, 10A
Megna - 34 GP, 5G, 4A
Pyatt - 33 GP, 4G, 0A
Kobasew - 32 GP, 2G, 0A
Sill - 20 GP, 0G, 0A
Conner - 19 GP, 4G, 1A

Yep, bunch of all stars there.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #22
Wolves4Life

Quote:
Okay, let's look at their production:

Gibbons - 39 GP, 5G, 10A
Megna - 34 GP, 5G, 4A
Pyatt - 33 GP, 4G, 0A
Kobasew - 32 GP, 2G, 0A
Sill - 20 GP, 0G, 0A
Conner - 19 GP, 4G, 1A

Yep, bunch of all stars there.
5 guys on Pens scored 20 or more goals
7 guys had 20 or more assists
6 guys had 40 or more points

Seems like Crosby had some good protection there.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #23
rippit

Quote:
5 guys on Pens scored 20 or more goals
7 guys had 20 or more assists
6 guys had 40 or more points

Seems like Crosby had some good protection there.
Well, let's see how the Flyers did:

7 guys with 20 or more goals
8 guys with 20 or more assists
6 guys with 40 or more points

I guess Giroux wasn't a one-man show after all -he had more protection than Crosby did!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #24
ejs23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnakaok View Post
If his teammates weren't good enough to be in the NHL they wouldn't be.
well, the only reason they were in the NHL this season for that length of time is because of injuries. arguably they weren't good enough or they would have been on the roster already.

Quote:
Giroux helped a team dead in the water rebound and reach the playoffs.
i don't know, is 3-9 really dead in the water in an 82 game season? though i don't dispute that Giroux is good and may be the most valuable player to his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I think many Pens fans are tilting at windmills when it comes to Crosby. You have a team with two out of this world talents. Stop worrying about the comments, which don't reflect majority opinion, that you're always going to hear about guys like Crosby, Lebron, Brady, etc. and just enjoy the show!
it's definitely easy to develop a defensive reflex. i think it's a conditioned response to the constant, and often absurd, anti-Crosby "discussions." i mean it's ok to not like the guy or to argue that another player is better.... but it just gets ridiculous at times. meanwhile i don't really see Pens fans bashing Toews, Getzlaf, Giroux, etc. i think they're all great players.... just not as good as Crosby

excellent point you make though. better to sit back and enjoy it.

Quote:
it was cool to see those guys step up and contribute as they could. but you're right... Crosby was there to carry that team along.

Last edited by ejs23; 05-01-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
cinnakaok

Quote:
To me it still comes down to well they may not be all-stars they still where good enough to get called up. I mean to use that argument wouldn't the MVP have to come from a team that has one superstar and no one else?

I mean not every team in the league has other All-Star's and or another superstar on it on it.