April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
REDSOX2011
Banned

Default Sox VP and Assistant GM discusses Doubront 2/29/12

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Brian O'Halloran participates in Webcast Wednesdays - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Fast forward to 18:00 min in, if you're interested to see what the current VP and Assistant GM, Brian O'Halloran has to say about Felix Doubront.

I also heard from someone who was just down in camp that the Sox plan to use him out of the pen and as a spot-starter this year, but groom him for the rotation in 2013. I was also told by someone with inside knowledge that he was NOT out of shape last ST. It's amazing how the media can make people believe nearly anything they want.

I hope he gets a spot this year with a strong ST. This is not because I have the gem auto rainbow, but I think he'll do awesome and help the team once in the rotation and gets some steady experience under his belt. I hope it's Beckett-Lester-Buccholz-Doubront-Bard, with Aceves as the swing-man, which he is vital as.

GO SOX! C'MON FELIX!
REDSOX2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
astrosox

I know he had some rough outings early last year that totally messed up his numbers, but he had some pretty solid outings too that people seemed to conveniently overlooked. I saw him several times throughout 2011 and really like his game.

That rotation you have sounds great to me. I think Lester should still be no. 1 though. It might be:

Lester
Beckett
Buchholz (obviously needs to stay healthy)
Aceves (needs to pitch as if it's not a start)
Bard (needs to not flame out in late in the season, listen to his arm, stay in shape, etc.)
astrosox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Craiggysanford

Buccholz needs to get traded for a real ace.... Lester should be above Beckett for sure.... And bard is going to be the man if he just relaxes and utilizes a 3rd pitch. Thats my 2 cents. Lol.
Craiggysanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
dlab85

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosox View Post
I know he had some rough outings early last year that totally messed up his numbers, but he had some pretty solid outings too that people seemed to conveniently overlooked. I saw him several times throughout 2011 and really like his game.

That rotation you have sounds great to me. I think Lester should still be no. 1 though. It might be:

Lester
Beckett
Buchholz (obviously needs to stay healthy)
Aceves (needs to pitch as if it's not a start)
Bard (needs to not flame out in late in the season, listen to his arm, stay in shape, etc.)
Everybody in Red Sox Camp seems convinced that Bard will be the #4... Diasuke will be back at some point this year and don't underestimate the impact of Bobby V on Daisuke. Bobby understands the culture of Japanese pitchers. Daisuke is also pitching for a contract and is only 31. Many pitchers come back stronger from TJ surgery. Unless the #4 and 5 blow everyone away, (let's be real here, we're hoping for a sub 5 ERA to keep us in some ball games, John Lackey won 12 games with a 6.41 ERA) One of them is keeping the seat warm for Dice.

Miller is out of options, so he figures to be in the rotation or get sent packing. Doubront is also out of options, has control problems, and is likely trade bait unless he can get it figured out. We'll see for ourselves on Saturday night when Doubront takes the mound against BC.

I like Aceves, but his track record indicates he won't be the #5, has been great out of the pen and not so great as a starter.

uStream link - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dlab85-case-breaks
dlab85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
MattGurski

I too believe that Bobby V will have a positive impact on Dice I'm just thankful Lackey isn't in the equation this year!!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
JDK16

anyone collect superfractors
JDK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
astrosox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab85 View Post
Everybody in Red Sox Camp seems convinced that Bard will be the #4... Diasuke will be back at some point this year and don't underestimate the impact of Bobby V on Daisuke. Bobby understands the culture of Japanese pitchers. Daisuke is also pitching for a contract and is only 31. Many pitchers come back stronger from TJ surgery. Unless the #4 and 5 blow everyone away, (let's be real here, we're hoping for a sub 5 ERA to keep us in some ball games, John Lackey won 12 games with a 6.41 ERA) One of them is keeping the seat warm for Dice.

Miller is out of options, so he figures to be in the rotation or get sent packing. Doubront is also out of options, has control problems, and is likely trade bait unless he can get it figured out. We'll see for ourselves on Saturday night when Doubront takes the mound against BC.

I like Aceves, but his track record indicates he won't be the #5, has been great out of the pen and not so great as a starter.
--Good call about Daisuke. Agreed. There have been grumblings in the past that letting him do his own thing would have helped him be successful, instead of shoe-horning him into the status quo or whatever. Remains to be seen, but at this point I think we're all happy to give him a chance. Spot on that Bobby V with his experiences managing in Japan might be just the thing.

--So happy not to have to think about Lackey right now.

--The camp's thinking Bard is the no. 4 is like last year's thinking Salty should be the starting backstop. Bard is a flamethrower. Watching him throw off speed late in 2010 made me cringe. It definitely improved in 2011, but if he can't go one inning every few games all season long without getting roughed up in September, I have my doubts about his longevity. Don't get me wrong; I hope I'm wrong. When he's on, he's very good. More innings though never seem to favor the pitchers.

--I forget about Miller. I saw him a few times last year, and he had a few moments.

--I want Doubront to succeed, but I think you may be right.

--Aceves was my favorite part of the 2011 Sox. He came out there and gave us a fighting chance in so many situations. I feel like without Aceves, September would not have even been an issue; we wouldn't have even been contenders.
astrosox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
WilsonValdez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK16 View Post
anyone collect superfractors
Lol...but seriously, does this really need a thread. I mean I realize Felix Doubront is important...but not really.