Hot List

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

Notices

COINS & CURRENCY Post your Coins, Currency, & Precious Metals Hobby Talk

Old 06-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #301
smackvay

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingpacks View Post
Who is telling the public "how much gold" is actually mined to this date? Hope you can believe all the sources.

Its not like a regulated amount of shares available. Its all hearsay and actually worst then the already badly manipulated stock market.

I sold all my gold 2 years ago. bought cards. lol
Their is no way of knowing how much actual gold or silver is on or in this earth.
I Would be interested in knowing that is for sure
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #302
amazingpacks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
Their is no way of knowing how much actual gold or silver is on or in this earth.
I Would be interested in knowing that is for sure
Why hoard or collect gold? Because "someone" said too? It is a highly controlled market and manipulated like everything else but worst.

160,000 , 200,000 , 400,000 tons? How does one calculate value without knowing supply(some unkown source says we have a certain amount, REALLY)? the financial world makes "numbers" so important when calculating value but with gold it does not matter?

I understand just buying and selling, but hoarding?
amazingpacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #303
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
The London silver 'fix' is going away soon, most of the original participants in the London gold 'fix' have resigned due to the investigations of manipulation by the German regulator. The banks are being sued by investors for the futures contract dumps that crush the prices of silver/gold in seconds. It's beginning to unravel. Every fiat currency collapses. Every. Single. One. It will not "be different this time".
Pretty much.

Once the dollar was unpegged from gold it was a matter of time.

Quote:
I'm not sure what I do is considered hoarding, but it's part of my retirement strategy. I'm 37 and I figure I have 15 years of full-time private practice before I move on.

Of my retirement, I'm putting 20% in precious metals, 40% in the market (15% US, 15% Europe, 10% APAC), 10% in a withdraw without penalty CD (emergency fund more than anything) and the remaining 30% in my real estate ventures.

You don't put all your eggs in one basket... I have an 800 count box of Pat Falloon rookies in the office to remind me of that.

Last edited by frozenntimesports; 06-09-2014 at 10:29 AM.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #304
smackvay

Quote:
Why hoard or collect gold? Because "someone" said too? It is a highly controlled market and manipulated like everything else but worst.

160,000 , 200,000 , 400,000 tons? How does one calculate value without knowing supply(some unkown source says we have a certain amount, REALLY)? the financial world makes "numbers" so important when calculating value but with gold it does not matter?

are you saying im hoarding a bunch of gold or asking a general question?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #305
fullmetal
Banned

I'll preach my sermon.

Precious metals can earn profits in the short term if you have the time, the means and energy (I think smack and jerry are quite versed in these practices.) For the long, they are terrible; history has shown it over and over again. Hoarding in expectation of long term price gains is poor investment strategy. Even in the short, I would feel more comfortable in junk bonds than precious metals.

Not trying to be a debby downer, just don't get blinded by the shiny stuff. I don't care to make stabs at timing the market and that is what you must do perfectly if you invest in gold for the long.

The tortoise and the hare: I'll take my 8-12% annualized, inflation adjusted returns over 50 years. Remember: the cost of holding gold during periods of low interest rates is much lower than when interest rates are high. Interest rates are soon to rise.

Food for thought:
Gold purchased in 1979, when adjusted for inflation didn't break even until 2009. Just to come out with no net profit/loss an investment in gold in 1979 took 30 years.

Last edited by fullmetal; 06-09-2014 at 08:53 PM.
fullmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #306
smackvay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
I'll preach my sermon.

Precious metals can earn profits in the short term if you have the time, the means and energy (I think smack and jerry are quite versed in these practices.) For the long, they are terrible; history has shown it over and over again. Hoarding in expectation of long term price gains is poor investment strategy. Even in the short, I would feel more comfortable in junk bonds than precious metals.

Not trying to be a debby downer, just don't get blinded by the shiny stuff. I don't care to make stabs at timing the market and that is what you must do perfectly if you invest in gold for the long.

The tortoise and the hare: I'll take my 8-12% annualized, inflation adjusted returns over 50 years. Remember: the cost of holding gold during periods of low interest rates is much lower than when interest rates are high. Interest rates are soon to rise.

Food for thought:
Gold purchased in 1979, when adjusted for inflation didn't break even until 2009. Just to come out with no net profit/loss an investment in gold in 1979 took 30 years.
how much of your money is in metal? like a percentage?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #307
fullmetal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
how much of your money is in metal? like a percentage?
Zero

I own a handful of silver dollars for the fun of it. Jewelry metal/gems nothing unusual
Old 06-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #308
John91C

Invest in junior mining companies! You can make a killing!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:54 AM   #309
Benziger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
Invest in junior mining companies! You can make a killing!
any suggestions?
Benziger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #310
Incarnadine

After getting crushed down to $18.80 or so silver has slowly been nibbling its way back up to the mid 19's, until today. Gold and silver are both having a really good day, silver up $0.92 to $20.83 and gold up $39.51 to $1317.35.

Who knows how long this run will last but it sure is nice seeing the metals moving in the upward direction for a change.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #311
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
After getting crushed down to $18.80 or so silver has slowly been nibbling its way back up to the mid 19's, until today. Gold and silver are both having a really good day, silver up $0.92 to $20.83 and gold up $39.51 to $1317.35.

Who knows how long this run will last but it sure is nice seeing the metals moving in the upward direction for a change.

I had an analyst tell me silver should hit $50 this year... but he predicted May 2014. I think it sits around where it is until QE stops, then bar the door. $18 is a solid floor, I'm not scared of buying at $20.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #312
amazingpacks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
I had an analyst tell me silver should hit $50 this year... but he predicted May 2014. I think it sits around where it is until QE stops, then bar the door. $18 is a solid floor, I'm not scared of buying at $20.
use caution.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #313
XL5

Quote:
use caution.
No chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
I think silver is a decent bet for $40 by the end of the year regardless,
Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #314
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
use caution.
I said I'm not afraid of buying at $20. No way I buy much above $20. I do see it at $40 by the end of the year, but you don't ever put all your eggs in one basket.

I'm not aliens pointing the death beam at earth confident, I'm Jonathan Papelbon (Phillies 2014 version) on the mound in the 9th inning confident.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #315
HBMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post

People are wigging out over the situation in Iraq, what better place to dump scared money than PM's.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #316
fullmetal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMC View Post
People are wigging out over the situation in Iraq, what better place to dump scared money than PM's.
I believe the movement in the latter portion of the week can be attributed to irrational response to the Fed's Wednesday meeting. Nothing unusual happened, only what we already knew, but some people react without rational intent.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #317
amazingpacks
Banned

Lithium ----
Old 06-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #318
Incarnadine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal View Post
I believe the movement in the latter portion of the week can be attributed to irrational response to the Fed's Wednesday meeting. Nothing unusual happened, only what we already knew, but some people react without rational intent.
That, and someone bought 90 tonnes of gold in less than a 5 minute span.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #319
Arius

So Germany has given up on getting its gold back.....?

Germany Gives Up On Trying To Repatriate Its Gold, Will Leave It In The Fed's "Safe Hands" | Zero Hedge

Peter Boehringer was quick to respond:

Head Of German Gold Repatriation Initiative Responds To Bloomberg Story About Repatriation Halt | Zero Hedge

either way they cant get back what the fed doesn't have.
Arius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #320
amazingpacks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arius View Post
So Germany has given up on getting its gold back.....?

Germany Gives Up On Trying To Repatriate Its Gold, Will Leave It In The Fed's "Safe Hands" | Zero Hedge

Peter Boehringer was quick to respond:

Head Of German Gold Repatriation Initiative Responds To Bloomberg Story About Repatriation Halt | Zero Hedge

either way they cant get back what the fed doesn't have.
Its all a mystery.
Glenn Beck Exposes the Private Fed; Gets Fired by Fox - YouTube
Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #321
smackvay

That gold is long gone^^^^^
they should have known when it was melted down that was a bad sign
Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 AM   #322
Arius

Arius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #323
amazingpacks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arius View Post
Now take your gold and go around town trying to spend it on food,gas and water. LOL

That deflated paper dollar is still king.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #324
Futbol_Cards

Quote:
Now take your gold and go around town trying to spend it on food,gas and water. LOL

That deflated paper dollar is still king.
I wasn't around back then but during the oil crisis of 1979, weren't gas stations taking payment in silver coins?

Hell some places still are: Oregon Gas Station Accepting 90% Junk Silver as Payment
Futbol_Cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #325
smackvay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futbol_Cards View Post
I wasn't around back then but during the oil crisis of 1979, weren't gas stations taking payment in silver coins?

Hell some places still are: Oregon Gas Station Accepting 90% Junk Silver as Payment
that was back in 2011
their is a diner about an hour from me that has a 90% menu price column where all the prices are in 90% junk silver