Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Notices

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

Old 12-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #1
crazy8parlay
Banned

Default Group Box Break Issues

After my first 2 group breaks a couple thing came of concern to me.

The first being the time after the items are shipped. Half of my items went out on Saturday the 18th of December. The other half went out on the 20th of December. All of my packages were shipped with delivery confirmation so they could be tracked.

Because of the post office's inability to handle packages correctly or in a timely manner, I had to wait a week and a half after shipping them to do another break. And these were sent PRIORITY!

My problem with this is after the packages are dropped off at the post office, what happens with them is completely beyond my (the breaker) control.

So, with tracking being on these boxes, I feel that a break host should be able to introduce another break as long as all of their packages have tracking and in that tracking it is showed that the PO has received the item. (Because some people print at home and wait 2 days to give it to the PO.) I would be happy to provide links for all packages delivered in the thread for the break it was issued. Much better than waiting a week and a half to start another break.

The second issue!

The one thing I do not see mentioned in the rules of group breaks is who is accountable for lost or damaged shipments. The final shipment today that was received by Tyler looked like it was run over by a truck or the PO played soccer with it during the Christmas Eve Party at the sorting center. (Seriously, check out the pic he provided here: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/c...twisted-8.html)

Now, being the breaker is limited in his profit or lack of any, what would happen if the cards in that package were completely destroyed? What if he had $100 worth of lots in that box? What if he had $100 worth of lots, but inside that box was a $500 card? What if the package was lost?

I have to ask, because I don't see any mention of it, but who's accountable?? Really the only person making any money in all of this is Blowout.

I look forward to the response!
crazy8parlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
deboesports

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

Well being a member that has hosted tons of group breaks I always ask the ones with bigger case hits or pricey hits if they would like to add a Buck or two for insurance on there item. And on your first statement.....what is your reasons for wanting to do back to back breaks with no time to take a break. I like to consider myself a GB vet and I even need a break between breaks.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
crazy8parlay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboesports View Post
Well being a member that has hosted tons of group breaks I always ask the ones with bigger case hits or pricey hits if they would like to add a Buck or two for insurance on there item. And on your first statement.....what is your reasons for wanting to do back to back breaks with no time to take a break. I like to consider myself a GB vet and I even need a break between breaks.
Usually the time it takes to fill all the slots, get payment, and wait for the product to arrive is a good break. A week and a half break is just too long. I'm on my college break and need something to do. Really the only hard part is the sorting. Everything else is fun.

I agree with the insurance part, but it should be address in the rules.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
deboesports

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

Plus you sent them during a very busy time to mail stuff. I try to avoid December breaks
Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #5
jlzinck

For the insurance issue

I did a 4 way break on an 8 box case on Certified.

I totally forgot about insuring packages when making the price.

I asked 2 of the guys to kick in an extra $2.50 for the insurance. 1 did and 1 did not.

It is on the breaker to make sure the items arrive in the condition they were pulled in.

Now if my case I insured the packages for $150, the entry price of the break.

I really think that is the only amount you can ethically insure for as that was the price paid for the item(s)
jlzinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
rudyjustinfarrell

You are talking ethics in the sports card hobby? As the breaker, you can insure the card/s for any amount you want... but if a $500 card gets ruined and the breaker only insured it for the slot price (for arguments sake, $150), then the breaker is at fault and is responsible. charging an extra .30-.40 per person for S&H can help defray the cost of a few packages that need a few dollars INS tacked on to their S&H. Since it could potentially be anybody, the pain is usually shared in my group breaks. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
jlzinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjustinfarrell View Post
You are talking ethics in the sports card hobby? As the breaker, you can insure the card/s for any amount you want... but if a $500 card gets ruined and the breaker only insured it for the slot price (for arguments sake, $150), then the breaker is at fault and is responsible.

OK then you go sell something (in this case a GB slot) for $150 then insure it for $500 and see what you receive if the item is lost or damaged.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
bigdaddyblue73

I have an issue with box breaks.

I recently participated in one in which the team I was randomly assigned had only 2 base cards in the entire set. So that means all I have the chance of getting is base. Nothing more. THey did not have a single insert, auto, RC, game used or anything.
And I honestly feel kinda cheated. Shouldn't the person soponsoring the break exclude teams that offer nothing in the set? Because I basically spent my money to buy cards for other participants. Now i understand not everyone is going to get huge pulls from a box break, but for the money i spent I could have done far better with a few retail packs of cards. Had i realized there was the chance I would spend money for nothing I wouldn't have even participated.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
mgugs46

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Group breaks are like playing the lottery. Some people win, ie, they get the good teams/players/slots - and the rest lose. Its your responsibility as a participant to decide whether xx amount of money is worth the chance at being stuck with a team that has no hits.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
rudyjustinfarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
OK then you go sell something (in this case a GB slot) for $150 then insure it for $500 and see what you receive if the item is lost or damaged.
knock on wood, I have not had any high dollar item from my GBs lost or damaged. But I have shelled out the extra funds (sometimes got help from the BO member receiving expensive item) and made sure that everything was covered on MY end. As mentioned above, we cannot control the delivery system. but if you do not do your 110% best to keep this fun and deliver a nice product, i doubt you will be a GB host for long.

as for paying for other people's slots? that is the risk of joining a TEAM break. i am not a big fan of them, but other people love them. Personally I like doing a "hit" type break, at least everyone gets something.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Ultimately the breaker is responsible for making sure the slot holder gets their cards safely. If you feel the need to insure, then factor it in your pricing. Most breaks your looking at low end slot prices so this price will skew them and probably not worth it (or it may skew the costs high enough guys wont sign up). IMHO any break where your reaching 100 a slot, I know I have and will factor in insurance. Group breaks hosts can make a profit on a break. Part of that is essentially to help cover themselves in case of an issue. Its really not there to pay for their time and effort.

The reason for not allowing more than 2 group breaks is they can be done simultaneously and its really done just as a precautionary measure to minimize risk to the host and recipients. Take for example an The Cup, Exquisite or National Treasures break. You could very easily be talking $10,000 or more. Thats a lot to risk both as a slot holder and as a host. By minimizing the number of break a host has ongoing and as a slot holder, we feel this this best way to handle this.

Your allowed 2 breaks, given your looking at typically 2 weeks for a break to be started and completed, 2 breaks should be ample and while mistakes do happen, I see no reason to increase this number.

Did I cover everyone's questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
For the record..while you may insure it for 500, you need to prove the value of the item before any insurance claim is paid out. So you need a receipt that that is what you paid, or you'll have to prove that it was worth that. Fraud within the federal government isnt something most want to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyblue73 View Post
I have an issue with box breaks.

I recently participated in one in which the team I was randomly assigned had only 2 base cards in the entire set. So that means all I have the chance of getting is base. Nothing more. THey did not have a single insert, auto, RC, game used or anything.
And I honestly feel kinda cheated. Shouldn't the person soponsoring the break exclude teams that offer nothing in the set? Because I basically spent my money to buy cards for other participants. Now i understand not everyone is going to get huge pulls from a box break, but for the money i spent I could have done far better with a few retail packs of cards. Had i realized there was the chance I would spend money for nothing I wouldn't have even participated.
As this one, its hard to judge honestly. Each product is different, each break is different. Those signing up for breaks need to assess their risks as well as the breaker does. But given we're dealing with sealed products with unknown quality and quantity (not to mention many of times no history on the product), its hard to judge. As stated above, lots of this is risk/reward and a gamble.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Quote:
Had i realized there was the chance I would spend money for nothing I wouldn't have even participated.
You must have jumped on that boat without even verifying that it wouldn't sink!
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
jlzinck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
For the record..while you may insure it for 500, you need to prove the value of the item before any insurance claim is paid out. So you need a receipt that that is what you paid, or you'll have to prove that it was worth that. Fraud within the federal government isnt something most want to deal with.
Which is why when I did my certified break I insured each package for $150 as that was the cost.

Yes one package had a Tebow FF Mirror Gold but I could not insure it for what it sold for.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
bigdaddyblue73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
You must have jumped on that boat without even verifying that it wouldn't sink!
Well I did not look at the checklist when I signed up no. After my team was assigned I discovered that the team i has randomly assigned had only 2 base cards in the entire set.

So the best i am gonna do is get a handful of copies of 2 base cards.

I am not trying to stir up trouble. That is why i am not listing the break I was in, but I do think if someone is going to run a case break they need to take a better look at what all participants are going to get.

I have to check and make sure, but I don't think they are even sending the base cards out.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #15
skeen
Inactive Account

for group breaks (team breaks ) not everybody ends up with a card , most of the time only half of the paid slots get hits . base on your group break calculation everyone has paid of shipping fees , paypal fees and othere expenses like toploaders etc ... so if half gets the hits and half doesnt have anything to be shipped you have some extra money to deal with . you can use that extra money to ship via signature confirmation , priority shipping etc and i guess you wont be hurt specially if you are shipping a high value card, its better to be safe than to be sorry
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
skeen
Inactive Account

Quote:
Well I did not look at the checklist when I signed up no. After my team was assigned I discovered that the team i has randomly assigned had only 2 base cards in the entire set.

So the best i am gonna do is get a handful of copies of 2 base cards.

I am not trying to stir up trouble. That is why i am not listing the break I was in, but I do think if someone is going to run a case break they need to take a better look at what all participants are going to get.

I have to check and make sure, but I don't think they are even sending the base cards out.

its not upto the host to do that , but most of the time most youtube breaks or blogtv breaks take away weakest teams out of the product . but some do not . So if you are joining a break and see that the total slots are complete you must do your research as you have definitely that random chance to come up with a weak team. And most of the breakers dont send base cards unless you request them, some dont bother to send at all so know who is hosting the break and ask questions before getting a spot . some do joiin breaks by impulse
skeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
boxbreaker88
Banned

for one of my group breaks did not ship a package DC since it only had base and inserts (no card over 4-5 dollars) and was out 75 dollars since it got lost
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
Tyler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbreaker88 View Post
for one of my group breaks did not ship a package DC since it only had base and inserts (no card over 4-5 dollars) and was out 75 dollars since it got lost
DC is 19 cents. That is entirely your own fault.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
DC is 19 cents. That is entirely your own fault.
DC is 80 cents if you pay at the post office. I know you must know that so why are you assuming everyone prints their own shipping labels?
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
crazy8parlay
Banned

Quote:
DC is 80 cents if you pay at the post office. I know you must know that so why are you assuming everyone prints their own shipping labels?
20 packages per break @ $.61 per package = $12.20. Do 10 breaks and you waste $122.00. That $122.00 can buy a nice Dymo Labeler. That will save time and money for all the remaining breaks.

I have the Dymo Twin Turbo. LOVE IT!!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #21
boxbreaker88
Banned

it is 80 cents per package plus the extra trip to the post office
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
crazy8parlay
Banned

Quote:
Even more reason to get a Dymo Labeller!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Tyler
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Why would you pay at the post office? All the money the host collects is in the host's PP account. Use PP Multi-Order Shipping tool, DC is .19, the money comes directly from you PP account. You can print out labels on regular old 8.5 x 11 paper (inkjet or laser printer, doesn't matter), take 4 seconds to cut them out...and BAM. Package is ready to get squished by bigfoot on its way to the recipient.

Tell me again why you pay at the post office guys?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #24
Dacubs

I love team breaks, but I understand the risks...sometimes I pay for everyone elses cards, sometimes they pay for mine...

just like hit breaks where 1 slot gets base...

you have to know what you are getting into, before you join
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote