Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #326
rippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenntimesports View Post
Isles in 7.

This war has been going on for about 10 years now. The heat between Pitt and the NYI is hotter than when Pitt and Philly get together. Somewhere Jason Blake is snickering about the war he helped start.

Glad to see the Isles back in the playoffs. I'm not following them to Brooklyn, but their fans have suffered for a long time and unlike Pittsburgh fans, they can tell you about the team before 2005-06.

Hopefully Crosby is at 100%, you don't want to see the Penguins bow out because of injury, you want to beat them at full strength.
And by the way, I can probably name more Islanders off the top of my head from the 1980-84 dynasty team than you can
rippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #327
ncm7772

It's official, no Sid. Sonofabitch. Looks like (unfortunately) some of us were right. Wish we weren't.

But, on a plus note, Tyler Kennedy appears to be a scratch! He skated on the 5th line w/ Sid and Justin Deffrey, and wasn't on his usal spot w/ the 2nd PP! Perhaps Danny B is finally seeing the light!

Last edited by ncm7772; 05-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.
ncm7772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #328
solt0131

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippit View Post
And by the way, I can probably name more Islanders off the top of my head from the 1980-84 dynasty team than you can
People that live on Long Island don't even realize they have a hockey team much less name one player on the current team.

There's a reason why this team was bottom 5 in attendance for the last 20 years and why they are moving.

It's an embarrassment of an organization.
solt0131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #329
rippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
People that live on Long Island don't even realize they have a hockey team much less name one player on the current team.

There's a reason why this team was bottom 5 in attendance for the last 20 years and why they are moving.

It's an embarrassment of an organization.
Well, they won't have one for much longer. Kind of a shame what happened to that organization. But that's what happens when they spend so much time playing with their Wangs.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #330
ncm7772

Quote:
Well, they won't have one for much longer. Kind of a shame what happened to that organization. But that's what happens when they spend so much time playing with their Wangs.
Yeah, now all their 1st round playoff games are sold out. Talk about bandwagoners. I dare say worse than the Caps bandwagon.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #331
crabbygraphs

NHL.com - Crosby out for Game 1 - Penguins vs Islanders - 2013 SCP Conference Quarterfinals
Pittsburgh Steelers game used/autographs
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #332
ncm7772

All the idiots at the Pens board are already theorizing his return date (although I was right about him not playing to start Game 1, I guess I still held some hope. So I'm certainly disappointed that he's not. But I did have to remind them that I was right, as most dudes there hate me cause I think logically and w/ an open mind ). It's useless to speculate at this point. We all saw where that got us 2 years ago in the 10-11 playoffs. Sid had been skating and practicing for 2 months, but was never cleared to play. I say, we sit back, cheer for the team, and drink many beers while doing so. The Pens can do themselves a HUGE favor by winning tonight. MUCH less pressure to get Sid back if we put the Isles in an early hole. GO PENS!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #333
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
Doubtful.

As far as Islander fans being bandwagoners, that's unfair. There is a contingent of about 8,000 - 10,000 people who are in the Coliseum every game. The problem is that the Coliseum is not built for the modern era, there are few, if any, luxury boxes and they aren't generating a profit, which is what businesses have to do.

I bailed because I won't go to Brooklyn ever and it seems unlikely that I'll ever leave the Philly burbs. My kids are Flyer fans and now I don't have a team... besides, you can't call me a bandwagoner, I switched this year, when the Flyers were awful.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #334
Koppper

Is Crosby going to be able to play in this series??
Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #335
TASS

Quote:
Doubtful.

As far as Islander fans being bandwagoners, that's unfair. There is a contingent of about 8,000 - 10,000 people who are in the Coliseum every game. The problem is that the Coliseum is not built for the modern era, there are few, if any, luxury boxes and they aren't generating a profit, which is what businesses have to do.

I bailed because I won't go to Brooklyn ever and it seems unlikely that I'll ever leave the Philly burbs. My kids are Flyer fans and now I don't have a team... besides, you can't call me a bandwagoner, I switched this year, when the Flyers were awful.
Some of these guys may not have been old enough to remember when the Isles were the 'elite' of the NHL.

I was fortunate to have a college roommate who's family had season tickets back in the early 80's and went to a few playoff games vs. Buffalo and the Flyers out on the island, those were some great teams and all out wars!

Was great to see Ken Morrow after he won the Gold medal, and was a fan of Butch Goring and Billy Smith from their day's playing for the Springfield Indians in the AHL!

I'm sure their will be a few of 'those' fans attending these games and seeing playoff hockey back on the island for the last time.

Who can forget the 'Easter Epic' (4) Overtime game that ended at 2:00 AM Easter Sunday!!

This should be a fun series to watch as the Isles have a good young team, that can put the puck in the net.

Last edited by TASS; 05-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.
TASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #336
efish44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Some of these guys may not have been old enough to remember when the Isles were the 'elite' of the NHL.

I was fortunate to have a college roommate who's family had season tickets back in the early 80's and went to a few playoff games vs. Buffalo and the Flyers out on the island, those were some great teams and all out wars!

Was great to see Ken Morrow after he won the Gold medal, and was a fan of Butch Goring and Billy Smith from their day's playing for the Springfield Indians in the AHL!

I'm sure their will be a few of 'those' fans attending these games and seeing playoff hockey back on the island for the last time.

Who can forget the 'Easter Epic' (4) Overtime game that ended at 2:00 AM Easter Sunday!!

This should be a fun series to watch as the Isles have a good young team, that can put the puck in the net.
Stop you're bringing back unwanted memories
efish44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #337
ncm7772

I didn't mean to call all isles fans bandwagoners. I respect the true fans very much. I just meant that not so long ago, Nassau was struggling to sell 8000 tix for a game, now they're selling out. Just like the Pittsburgh bandwagoners.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #338
longisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisle View Post
Since there is no Isles Thread.... Go Isles!!!
Not enough of us to steal the thread.

That was a tough goal to take this early.

PITT 1 - 0 with 16 min 1st Period.
longisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #339
ncm7772

In all seriousness, I hope Nabokov is ok. He took a close-ish range Iginla blast to the head. He's certainly still rattled, hope he's not concussed.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #340
ncm7772

Oh Jesus, Neal is hurt again.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #341
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

I can't get the game here, what the hell is going on that got Marty Reasoner 17 PIMs? Another war?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #342
ncm7772

Reasoner deserves a suspension for that knee. More proof the Isles are a joke of an organization. Hope Jokinen is ok. Would be a shame for him to miss time over a cheap shot from a borderline-NHL scrub.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #343
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncm7772 View Post
Reasoner deserves a suspension for that knee. More proof the Isles are a joke of an organization. Hope Jokinen is ok. Would be a shame for him to miss time over a cheap shot from a borderline-NHL scrub.
I saw the video, what knee hit? Skate touched skate. Reasoner meant to do it but it wasn't a knee on knee Marchment hit.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #344
ncm7772

The KNEEING call. He stuck his knee out, made contact with the lower leg. This is not meant to start poop, but at the very least, it was a very dirty, dangerous "trip" with the leg.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #345
TASS

Quote:
The KNEEING call. He stuck his knee out, made contact with the lower leg. This is not meant to start poop, but at the very least, it was a very dirty, dangerous "trip" with the leg.
Here in Boston we call that kind of hit a 'Samuelsson' , and hopefully it does not turn out to be a serious injury to Joiknen.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #346
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
It was a bad call.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #347
solt0131

Quote:
Mark Madden posted that he heard thru the locker room, that neither injury is serious and/or bad, so that's good news. We'll see what kind of cheap, busch league antics the Islanders break out for Game 2......guess if you can't beat e'm, just cheap shot 'em.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #348
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by solt0131 View Post
Mark Madden posted that he heard thru the locker room, that neither injury is serious and/or bad, so that's good news. We'll see what kind of cheap, busch league antics the Islanders break out for Game 2......guess if you can't beat e'm, just cheap shot 'em.
I guess winning 5-0 isn't enough to keep the Penguins from whining about a glorified tripping penalty.

You've seen what happens when the Islanders play dirty, I think you'd better get over it because the Islanders are better at nasty than the Penguins are.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #349
rippit

Speaking of winning 5-0...

No in-depth analysis needed - if you watched the game, you know. Domination. Forget losing the faceoff battle, forget being outhit (or even on hits, whatever it ended up). Every Pens fan know that the only way they lose a series in the playoffs is if Fleury implodes, the PK implodes, or they run into a hot goaltender. Well, Fleury has a shutout, Nabokov gets pulled, and the Isles are 0 for 4 on the PP. Oh, and Taveres didn't have a shot on goal.

It's only one game, but you really couldn't have a better start.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #350
solt0131

Quote:
I guess winning 5-0 isn't enough to keep the Penguins from whining about a glorified tripping penalty.

You've seen what happens when the Islanders play dirty, I think you'd better get over it because the Islanders are better at nasty than the Penguins are.
But that's what you expect from a team that nobody cares about and with the worst fan base in hockey.