April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
paul06901
Banned

Question LIFETIME BAN for Shaq?!...

Shaquille O'Neal calls Detroit man with rare disorder he insulted online; read former NBA star's message | MLive.com

C'mon Silver, crack that whip and let's see you act swiftly and with harsh consequences as per your "style" of action...

OK maybe not a ban from the NBA, but this guy Shaq is a public figure on TNT now ... is TNT OK with this? Is the NBA OK with this?

Like I said, Silver opened a giant can of worms ... now live with the consequences and let's see your "EQUALITY" in judgement on cases across the board!

*WE ARE ONE* ...
paul06901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Sikkcaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul06901 View Post
Shaquille O'Neal calls Detroit man with rare disorder he insulted online; read former NBA star's message | MLive.com

C'mon Silver, crack that whip and let's see you act swiftly and with harsh consequences as per your "style" of action...

OK maybe not a ban from the NBA, but this guy Shaq is a public figure on TNT now ... is TNT OK with this? Is the NBA OK with this?

Like I said, Silver opened a giant can of worms ... now live with the consequences and let's see your "EQUALITY" in judgement on cases across the board!

*WE ARE ONE* ...
1) Paul
2) Osmium
3) Iridium
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
BrandonBarnett

Quote:

*WE ARE ONE* ...
Wouldn't Larry Johnson be the first he would go after?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
IronMonkey415
Banned

NBA on TNT don't need him.

I want Webber, Ernie, Jet, and Charles
or
Payton, Ernie, Jet, and Charles
or
Webber, Payton, Ernie, Jet, and Charles
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
thenwhatjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkcaden View Post
1) Paul
2) Osmium
3) Iridium
This is fantastic
thenwhatjk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
columbusbuckeye
Banned - PBM

How is making a personal statement in your own home any worse that what Shaq did right there? It just goes to show his maturity level.

This seriously makes me sad to see. Shaq is someone kids see often on TV and I'm sure is a role model for some.

If you're going to ban a guy for a remark he made in the privacy of his own home, then you better make sure you ban Shaq as well since it appears he did this for everyone to see and knew he was doing it...

Shame on you Shaq. People with disorders and disabilities like this already have enough to worry about in their lives. They deal with constant ridicule and bullying. I helped tutor kids with disabilities while in high school and it really sucked the way people treated them. SMDH Shaq.
columbusbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
siebertb

Shaq is kind of a dumbass.... Anyone who watches TNT knows this. I'm guessing he just didn't know there was something wrong with the guy and he made fun of his appearance. Not saying what he did was OK. It's definitely wrong, and he apologized, which was the right thing to do.

Now comparing this to Donald Sterling is completely ludicrous. One picture on Instagram and he apologized. Compare this to minutes of audio and no apology/statement whatsoever from Sterling. People harping about the Larry Johnson tweet also makes no sense. It really is no comparison. One tweet vs recorded statements of discrimination. Not taking Shaq's side here. I personally don't like him on TV. But there is obviously a huge difference here and I think you know that.
siebertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
dwest13cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusbuckeye View Post
How is making a personal statement in your own home any worse that what Shaq did right there? It just goes to show his maturity level.

This seriously makes me sad to see. Shaq is someone kids see often on TV and I'm sure is a role model for some.

If you're going to ban a guy for a remark he made in the privacy of his own home, then you better make sure you ban Shaq as well since it appears he did this for everyone to see and knew he was doing it...

Shame on you Shaq. People with disorders and disabilities like this already have enough to worry about in their lives. They deal with constant ridicule and bullying. I helped tutor kids with disabilities while in high school and it really sucked the way people treated them. SMDH Shaq.
Does Shaq own a team? Does he have a direct effect on NBA revenue with that ownership. When Shaq does, please re-post and lets have a discussion.
dwest13cavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
teosdesserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest13cavs View Post
Does Shaq own a team? Does he have a direct effect on NBA revenue with that ownership. When Shaq does, please re-post and lets have a discussion.
Does Donald Sterling have a job where he is in the public eye, for everyone to see and hear?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
XARZY

Quote:
/thread

Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
XARZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by teosdesserts View Post
Does Donald Sterling have a job where he is in the public eye, for everyone to see and hear?
This has nothing to do with thenba and everything to do with Shaq's employers TNT
Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
columbusbuckeye
Banned - PBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siebertb View Post
Shaq is kind of a dumbass.... Anyone who watches TNT knows this. I'm guessing he just didn't know there was something wrong with the guy and he made fun of his appearance. Not saying what he did was OK. It's definitely wrong, and he apologized, which was the right thing to do.

Now comparing this to Donald Sterling is completely ludicrous. One picture on Instagram and he apologized. Compare this to minutes of audio and no apology/statement whatsoever from Sterling. People harping about the Larry Johnson tweet also makes no sense. It really is no comparison. One tweet vs recorded statements of discrimination. Not taking Shaq's side here. I personally don't like him on TV. But there is obviously a huge difference here and I think you know that.
I honestly don't see a huge difference between the two.

Silver set a new precedent in the way the Sterling case was handled. What Sterling said was absolutely wrong and there really is no place for racism in the world today, it's a sad, sad thing.

However, when you're job and livelihood is affected because of something you said in the confines of your own home, you're opening the door to all kinds of new problems. It's not like Sterling said something directly to a player or someone in the organization. He said something in his own home without knowledge of being recorded. I'm in no way condoning what he said, it was appalling, but how would you feel if you were out with friends or something and made a racist remark, a coworker or someone you know overheard you and blasted it on social media or something. The next day you loose your job. That would be terrible.

The fact of the matter is racism is still alive in this country, especially with the older population. They grew up with it, so it's hard to break them from stereotypes and thoughts they have on people from another race.

Now back to Shaq...Just because he apologized to the guy doesn't make this right at all. If you have spent time around people with disabilities and disorders like this you would know that they are generally some of the NICEST people you will ever meet. It's just really sad to me that someone like Shaq would do something like this. He knew what he was doing regardless if you think he is dumb or not.

Sorry I just get a little irritated when people do stuff like this to people who already have enough problems in their life, and don't need the whole damn country looking at them because of the actions of an inconsiderate person.
columbusbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
XARZY

I think people forget Shaq had a show dedicated to poking fun at people a'la ridiculousness
Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
freethrowtommy

Couple of things...

Shaq wasn't aware that the guy had a disorder. Not condoning what he did at all, but lets set some context here. Mocking most certainly can be hurtful and rightfully so, so the backlash is deserved.

Secondly, Shaq CALLED the guy directly to apologize for what he did. Didn't hide behind lawyers or at home.

Thirdly, this isn't something that Shaq has done previously. It doesn't appear that it was intended to be hurtful, but I am glad that he saw his mistake and owned up to it.

I am not saying he shouldn't be punished, but calling for a LIFETIME ban every time someone screws up is going to get really frickin' old. I mean, it has only been a week and I am sick of this calling "double standard" crap to everything.

Larry Johnson should be punished, Shaq should be punished... cool... but be realistic.
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
wilsunshines

Will someone please link me to Sterling's heartfelt apology, or Shaq's longtime history of disrespecting the disabled so we can verify that these two stories are in any way equivalent? I'm having trouble finding either.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
freethrowtommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkcaden View Post
1) Paul
2) Osmium
3) Iridium
I see what you did there...
freethrowtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
xavieronly1

How much money does NBA lose from Shaq's post?

How much money does NBA lose from Sterling's comment?

You go figure the amount and you tell me why this is a business decision. Stop thinking NBA is a courtroom or something. NBA will go where the money goes.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
paul06901
Banned

Quote:
Shaq owns a lot of things. Shaq is employed by TNT.

Shaq should be criticized just the same, and stripped of everything he owns.

It's funny how people are so much less outraged at this vs. the racial Sterling issue.

White guilt? Or just stupidity? Which is it?

Shaq exploited a disabled person, to millions of people, yet a simple apology should be OK?

OK, I get it, it's like comparing apples to oranges, right?

Most of you defending Shaq's case and "standing up" against Sterling must not have any black or disabled friends. And you'd also make horrible attorneys with some of the ridiculous, derailing points being made.

Sterling is racist so let's give him the maximum punishment.
Shaq is just "dumb sometimes" so his apology is sufficient.

(p.s.: Really nice to see the two trolls in here who literally are attached to this site 24/7 ... you two should buddy up and go on a date away from your computer once in a while or something )
Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #19
wilsunshines

This is real dumb.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #20
pga-ink

Was there really even any need for this topic/thread??
pga-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #21
paul06901
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethrowtommy View Post
Couple of things...

Shaq wasn't aware that the guy had a disorder. Not condoning what he did at all, but lets set some context here. Mocking most certainly can be hurtful and rightfully so, so the backlash is deserved.

Secondly, Shaq CALLED the guy directly to apologize for what he did. Didn't hide behind lawyers or at home.

Thirdly, this isn't something that Shaq has done previously. It doesn't appear that it was intended to be hurtful, but I am glad that he saw his mistake and owned up to it.

I am not saying he shouldn't be punished, but calling for a LIFETIME ban every time someone screws up is going to get really frickin' old. I mean, it has only been a week and I am sick of this calling "double standard" crap to everything.

Larry Johnson should be punished, Shaq should be punished... cool... but be realistic.
First thing: Irrelevant, who cares. Stay off Instagram then if you're a celebrity and also trying to be a self-made comedian...

Second thing: You ever get into a car accident and the guy who hit your car tries to give you cash before you call the police/insurance company? Sketchy right?

Third thing: DOES NOT MATTER! There's no "3 strikes and you're out" rule to these types of things.

Everyone, please answer me this.

IF ERNIE JOHNSON HAD POSTED A PICTURE OF A BUNCH OF BLACK GUYS RUNNING AWAY FROM SOMETHING AND POSTED A COMMENT LIKE "FATHER'S DAY IN THE HOOD!" ... SHOULD HE BE CRITICIZED AND BANNED, IF HE APOLOGIZED FIRST?

The double-standard is APPALLING.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
paul06901
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pga-ink View Post
Was there really even any need for this topic/thread??
Was there even a need for your post?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #23
paul06901
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsunshines View Post
Will someone please link me to Sterling's heartfelt apology, or Shaq's longtime history of disrespecting the disabled so we can verify that these two stories are in any way equivalent? I'm having trouble finding either.
DOES NOT MATTER!

It's the precedent set by the Sterling situation.

Wow, some of you guys are really numb today

Old 05-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #24
wilsunshines

So, are you incorrectly trying to say this was Sterling's first incident involving race?

Quote:
Third thing: DOES NOT MATTER! There's no "3 strikes and you're out" rule to these types of things.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #25
wilsunshines

This is really, really a terrible comparison for any number of reasons. But go right ahead with your coffee-fueled rampage.