This just in

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
allhockey

Send a message via Yahoo to allhockey
Default Ovechkin signs mulityear deal with Caps

"Alex Ovechkin agreed to a $124 million, 13-year contract extension Thursday with the Washington Capitals, working out the details himself in negotiations with owner Ted Leonsis and general manager George McPhee"

looks like that may thankfully makes him a life long Capital. $9.53 mil per year -whoa..........guess this means tix prices are going up and they better get some home playoff games real soon and real quick. Less money to spend on cards and collectibles................
allhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
hockeyron

I think this is a solid move for the Caps ...
no need to have to worry about Alex going anywhere's and they can now work on getting him some better surrounding players ...
I like the idea of guys sticking with their original teams ...

ron
hockeyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

This may be the trend in the NHL. Mike Richards, Rick DiPietro, and I heard all that nonsense about Sidney Crosby taking a below market deal, well Ovechkin could have held out and gotten close to $11M going elsewhere with the expected salary cap increase, so time to give him some credit for being a team player.

Now to get Backstrom on a long term deal, bring back Zubrus, sign a few more scorers and make a run for the cup. Easier said than done I guess.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #4
CapsNut

This was a no-brainer for Ted. If he didn't find a way to get it done, he might as well sell the team and throw himself off a cliff.

If they keep stringing together wins, they may just take the division, then the conference, and then finally the CUP!
CapsNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
EGRHOCKEYFAN

The Caps cannot sign Backstrom until he is in the final year of his three year entry level deal. The deal can be completed as early as 2009 . Remember, these deals could not be completed without the GMs begging the owners to change the CBA . The old rule in the current and past CBA agreements stated that the player must become a restricted free agent before he could be signed after finishing the final year of his entry level feal. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
EGRHOCKEYFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRHOCKEYFAN View Post
The Caps cannot sign Backstrom until he is in the final year of his three year entry level deal. The deal can be completed as early as 2009 . Remember, these deals could not be completed without the GMs begging the owners to change the CBA . The old rule in the current and past CBA agreements stated that the player must become a restricted free agent before he could be signed after finishing the final year of his entry level feal. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
I think you are able to sign an extension that would start at the end of the entry level contract at any time. It doesn't benefit the player much unless it is significant. In two years we could be talking about the top playmaker (I think we will) in the NHL, so trying to make a deal would be good for Washington.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
mma138

hey guys i just got into hockey. why is crosby's cards more popular. ovechkin seems to have the better stats.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
allhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
hey guys i just got into hockey. why is crosby's cards more popular. ovechkin seems to have the better stats.
rut row can of worms now open.............

seriously this might be better served as its own thread cause I have thought about opening debate on this subject as well. Besides the gross overproduction issue with 5/6 UD series one and series two, it certainly is an interesting topic.........................
Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Vintage Collector

9.5 million a year is going to look like a bargain in a couple of years.

Also the politically uncorrect answer is the Ovechkin is Russian and Crosby is from Canada.

And players from Canada have a bigger fan base.

Ovechkin will however over the years close the gap but will never surpass Crosby Collectibility wise.
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
Crosby is the (gag) better overall player right now, Ovechkin is the better goal scorer. I expect Ovechkin to pass Crosby because Ovy's passing skills should improve while I don't expect Crosby's goal scoring ability to improve much more and his size (lack of) will limit is his defensive ability while Ovechkin is very good defensive player (when he wants to be) who can throw one hell of a check.

They are both incredible players with two different styles and both are worth the price of admission. As far as popularity, Euro players tend to be less popular here while North American players tend to be less popular in Europe.

Ovechkin is the kind of person who could break that trend. I don't know if he's funny, but he sure thinks he's funny. He's the kind of fellow that you laugh with when he gets going and you don't know why.

I haven't had a chance to meet Sid, they say he's a little more reserved.

BTW, I think Nicklas Backstrom could be the best player in the NHL in five years. Now I've opened the can. Tell me he doesn't look like a younger, meaner (ok really meaner) version of Peter Forsberg. If the kid stays healthy watch out.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #11
mma138

so 05/06 ud series 1 and 2 was over produced ?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
allhockey

Quote:
so 05/06 ud series 1 and 2 was over produced ?
05/06 UD series is everywhere and was produced at least 4/5 times the rate of the 5/6 UD series one, if you want a fun break pick up some boxes or a case from Chris here at Blowout......series II is still more than affordable, but with the strinking hockey marketplace ( in very large part to mass overproduction by UD with most if not all of their hockey products since, despite claims to the contrary) I think it will still be some years before the market absorbs all the 5/6 UD 2 produced ..............
Old 01-19-2008, 04:09 AM   #13
mma138

yeah i notice that series one is way more money the 2
Old 01-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
mma138

this just makes no sense to me. ovechkin is playing great. yet when i look through the beckett i see the arrow signs going down ?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
solt0131

Quote:
this just makes no sense to me. ovechkin is playing great. yet when i look through the beckett i see the arrow signs going down ?

Because there is not as big of a market for star Russian players as there is for star Canadian players and American players.
solt0131 is offline   Reply With Quote