Blowout Cards Forums
pokemon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

Notices

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
mwheeler27

Exclamation Did you see this sale? WOW! It's SK, and it's a horse!

I know there are a few people in this forum that like to knock Sportkings. They like to knock them for several reasons. Some of which are:

- I would hate to pull a card with a horse on it.

- I would hate to pull a card with a manufactured SK logo patch on it.

- The re-sale value is terrible.

- There is no future investment value for an unlicensed product.

Well, did you guys see the ending sale price of this card?

Ebay item number: 200527511644

It sold for over $1K, and 4 bids were $750 and above.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
cruiserdaddy7

Anyone see what the newest Sportkings, Famous Fabrics, and Ringside boxing wax is selling for? BRUTAL! Some Wheeler guy on here said these would be good but they keep going down. Anyone see those sales?
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Anyone see what the newest Sportkings, Famous Fabrics, and Ringside boxing wax is selling for? BRUTAL! Some Wheeler guy on here said these would be good but they keep going down. Anyone see those sales?
Give it time.

Any comment on the above sale for the "horse" from Series A?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
mightbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Give it time.

Yeah, in the interest of full disclosure did you buy it?

It's just a manufactured patch and stamped "1/1"? Really? I thought only UD pulled S#!T like that.
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post

It's just a manufactured patch and stamped "1/1"? Really? I thought only UD pulled S#!T like that.
Well now, I couldn't let this one get away when I know how treasured it is by others. Notice how other people bid over $750 for it.

Upper deck has never done this to my knowledge. If they could, and their cards would pull this kind of money, I bet they would do it. LOL.

Upper deck inserts manufactured patches that resemble what's worn in sporting events that make unsuspecting collectors think they were actually worn in a game. Does anyone actually think these sports figures from SK ever wore the SK logo in an actual sporting event?

SK puts their logo into these cards. I think of it as a type of "brand recognition", and apparently I'm not the only one willing to spend money on them.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
mightbe

Actually, I forgot UD makes all those goofy patches for Premier but at least they try to be somewhat clever about them. Once in a while I'd get one that was so dumb I just had to keep it.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
chipmaster

Quote:
Give it time.

My comment is anyone that spends $1k+ on a manufatcured patch is a freakin' idiot, and should have their manhood cut off......

But hey, that's just my opinion
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #8
37Jetson

Matt, did you ever consider that the entire Ebay community could be shill bidding you knowing that you are possibly the only person on the planet willing to pay $500 for that card, let alone $1,075?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe View Post

Last edited by 37Jetson; 10-12-2010 at 10:02 AM.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
ND3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Matt, did you ever consider that the entire Ebay community could be shill bidding you knowing that you are possibly the only person on the planet willing to pay $500 for that card, let alone $1,075?
Jetson, let me fix this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Matt, did you ever consider that the seller did shill bid the item knowing that you and only a few other maniacs are possibly the only people on the planet willing to pay $500 for that card, let alone $1,075?

myslabs.to/flordiaguy72
ND3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
jstapleton71
Banned

Good lord, serioulsy? $1,075 for a stinking made up card of a dead horse??? Dude, I know where we can get you into a donkey show for like $50. Given, not the same satisfaction of buying a horse card, but when you take in consideration the fun for the donkey? Money well spent.
jstapleton71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
chipmaster

Seriously, that's about the dumbest freakin thing I've seen money wasted on in a LOOOONNNNGG Time......

You have some serious underlying issues....
Old 10-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
mgugs46

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
I have a serious comment. Had I bought a box of Series A, and pulled this, I would have been livid, and seriously bummed. However, had I bothered to even throw it on Ebay, and it sold for even half of what you wound up paying for it, I would be THRILLED, obviously.

So, to sum it up - I still think horse cards and the like are awful, and are the main reason I dont buy SK, A&G, etc - however, seeing this and some other sales, I may have to reconsider since both products that I just mentioned I do not like have a pretty serious core following/collector base.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
mgugs46

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Um, one other comment.

From the auction
Quote:
In discribing this great athlete I think Secretariat.com states it the best
Sorry, a horse [or any other animal] is not an athlete.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Zerokruel

I remember years back that Beckett did an article on a guy who claimed himself to be the #1 Jim Thorpe collector. He would purchase every Thorpe cut card that hit Ebay, and any unique item that could be certified as worn by him or signed by him. Well, the article was cool and all - but once people read it they figured out how they could take advantage of him and bid up everything he was buying. Honestly, people would list Thorpe Cut cards knowing he would be bidding on them - and then they would just shill the hell out the cards. I thinkin he eventually just stopped buying off Ebay or stopped collecting. This reminds me of that a lot.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
mwheeler27

Shill bidding or not, the seller did well.

I don't buy all SK cards that hit ebay. If people are considering shill bidding, they better watch out, or they're going to be costing themselves or others some money before too long.

FYI, I know the 2nd highest bidder, and he happens to be a very serious SK collector. He has outbid me on several high-dollar cards. I'm certain this auction was not shill bid, but you guys can stay in denial if you like.

PS: I knew this thread would be interesting to start. You guys have fun with it.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
chipmaster

Quote:

I don't buy all SK cards that hit ebay. If people are considering shill bidding, they better watch out, or they're going to be costing themselves or others some money before too long.

FYI, I know the 2nd highest bidder, and he happens to be a very serious SK collector. He has outbid me on several high-dollar cards. I'm certain this auction was not shill bid, but you guys can stay in denial if you like.

PS: I knew this thread would be interesting to start. You guys have fun with it.
Was Dr. Price trying to buy it back?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Zerokruel

Quote:

Not trying to have fun with anything. I remembered a gentlemen who boasted about his collection, and it ended up costing him. This thread reminded me of that article and the effects of it.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #18
marino5084

Matt, two of the bidders have very low or no feedback and look in all appearances to be shilled. However the second highest bid does not.

All that matters here is that you are happy with the purchase, and I know that you are. Congrats.
RIP PAPAJIM
Sabrina Cortellessa
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #19
lemur01

Hey Wheeler.
I noticed on COMC that some of your SK cards have "The Wheeler Collection" printed on them. How do you get the grading co to do that?

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #20
37Jetson

I move that the Blowout Boards ban the Wink Smilies

How much further do the Series D SK Boxes need to drop before you purchase them all? You say that thousands of boxes do not remain, but enough remain stagnant on Blowout's shelves to keep the price going down.

Quote:

Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
chipmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur01 View Post
Hey Wheeler.
I noticed on COMC that some of your SK cards have "The Wheeler Collection" printed on them. How do you get the grading co to do that?
He sent them a picture of his inflated head, and BGS decided "WTF, let's make his head even bigger" - thus the designation
Old 10-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
cruiserdaddy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
He sent them a picture of his inflated head, and BGS decided "WTF, let's make his head even bigger" - thus the designation
BGS wanted to seperate the normal collectors from the crazy Sportkings collector. I love to poke and prod on this topic, mainly the wax standpoint since its something Ive argued for a while and Wheeler just wont admit that its terrible. I dont however knock the way he spends his money. If its worth $1,075 to him then so be it. We should be wishing that was our auction.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
aggie4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur01 View Post
Hey Wheeler.
From the Beckett grading website:

Beckett Grading Services is now offering a Personalized Label option on Grading and Authentication.

For a $3 additional fee per card (minimum 10 cards, quantity discounts available for 50+ cards), in addition to standard grading fees, customers may now add a single line of text (up to 28 characters) to their grading labels. This option applies to either fully graded cards or Authentic-Only services.

Some examples of personalized text may include the submitter's name/pedigree ("The James Smith Collection"), greetings ("Happy 50th Birthday, Dad!"), awards ("Dallas League Champions"), specific factory serial numbers ("Jersey #34/50", "#1/10,000"), or other descriptions. Text may not be offensive or misleading, nor suggest an artificially limited nature of the product. Beckett Grading Services reserves the right to reject any personalizations at our discretion.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #24
mightbe

I don't know why you guys are bagging on this...it means the recession is over! Or the coming of the apocalypse. It's clearly one or the other.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #25
clocsta2323

Quote:

i think you are lying
clocsta2323 is offline   Reply With Quote