BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
EricInCT
Banned

ov 94 2nd half cavs + cavs pk
EricInCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
brandonlec

Where do you guys bet at? I'm looking to get into it.
I'd just be wanting to bet with and against the spread

-Brandon
brandonlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #28
EricInCT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlec View Post

-Brandon
I bet with a local guy.....friendly advice: don't start.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #29
EricInCT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInCT View Post
over celts 1st half 94
This looks like my best play of the night (most relaxing at least), I needed something to go right to offset the horrible Wash and over pick for the game lol.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #30
LeonfromNC

I usually dont watch the games i bet on but i cant help myself lol
LeonfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #31
EricInCT
Banned

Washington stinks up the joint just enough to blow my 2nd half bet on the side, and scores 1 fg in the last 6 minutes of the game to kill the game and 2nd half overs.

Nice start to the season.

Celts ov 93 in 2nd half.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
Knicker_Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlec View Post

-Brandon
i use betUS ... putting parlays on the games definitely makes the games you don't really care about a lot more interesting!! lol...but as someone else said...its a slippery slope...
Knicker_Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #33
EricInCT
Banned

Quote:
Washington stinks up the joint just enough to blow my 2nd half bet on the side, and scores 1 fg in the last 6 minutes of the game to kill the game and 2nd half overs.

Nice start to the season.

Celts ov 93 in 2nd half.

I am conceding the celts for the game play and take miami -1 in the 2nd half.....I am sure the celts will proceed to do what Wash did to Clev tonight....score the first 14 pts of the 4th.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
Pejarox7620
Banned

Quote:
I wish you the best but teasers in the NBA in my opinion have very little value and are very volatile compared to betting straight. I only like teasers in football and do quite well with them. Also, maybe we don't see the game the same way but Dallas +16 is more enticing.

Good luck!
7 Point Teaser (3 Teams) 10/30/12 04:03 ET
bet XX to win XX Result: Pending
Celtics(Boston)
Heat(Miami) 10/30/12(20:00 ET)
Heat(Miami) +0.5

Mavericks(Dallas)
Lakers(LA) 10/30/12(22:30 ET)
Lakers(LA) -2

Wizards(Washington) 17
Cavaliers(Cleveland) 17 10/30/12(19:15 ET)
Wizards(Washington) +12.5

well it looks like my first game worked with my Teaser
Pejarox7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #35
mcgahee21nfl
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
I put a 155 GBP (about $230) bet on the NBA today. I bet that the Heat, Lakers or Thunder would win the championship at odds of 1.41 (so, $230 x 1.41 = $324, i.e. $94 profit if the Heat, Lakers or Thunder win). I get my money back if the Spurs or Celtics win.
The big 3 line I saw was -345.

Where did you place the bet at to get 1.41? And how do you get money back if Spurs/Celts win?
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
mcgahee21nfl
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejarox7620 View Post
Celtics(Boston)
Heat(Miami) +0.5

Mavericks(Dallas)
Lakers(LA) -2

Wizards(Washington) 17

well it looks like my first game worked with my Teaser
teasers are free money for bookies. i would book you with bonus's galore
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #37
jt16

Quote:
I am conceding the celts for the game play and take miami -1 in the 2nd half.....I am sure the celts will proceed to do what Wash did to Clev tonight....score the first 14 pts of the 4th.
You are the worst gambler I even seen. Unless you are betting a few dollars a game you will never make money. The juice alone will kill you.
jt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #38
Pejarox7620
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
teasers are free money for bookies. i would book you with bonus's galore
This is actually my first time using teasers for Basketball, just wanted to give it a try. I was perfect last weekend for NFL on teasers...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #39
jt16

Quote:
Not to mention you left yourself open for a middle and could lose the celtics bet and the heat -1 2nd half bet.

You didn't post a celtics line but it was 6.5
So in order to WIN your second half heat bet they have to win by 10.

Heat was up 8 at half and they were -1 to that's 9.
So you got the Heat -9 and Boston +6.5 (maybe 7) for the game.

Real smart move. If you post on thread I will call your stupid plays out for everyone to see.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #40
EricInCT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejarox7620 View Post
I have these bets

Celtics(Boston)
Heat(Miami) +0.5

Mavericks(Dallas)
Lakers(LA) -2

Wizards(Washington) 17

5 Point Teaser (2 Teams) 10/30/12 04:03 ET
Celtics(Boston)
Heat(Miami) -1.5

Celtics(Boston)
Under 191

Straight Wager 10/30/12 04:02 ET
Celtics(Boston)
Heat(Miami) -6.5
One is a loss and one hasn't even played yet, you can easily go 0-2.

Hope you at least split man.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #41
EricInCT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt16 View Post
Not to mention you left yourself open for a middle and could lose the celtics bet and the heat -1 2nd half bet.

You didn't post a celtics line but it was 6.5
So in order to WIN your second half heat bet they have to win by 10.

Heat was up 8 at half and they were -1 to that's 9.
So you got the Heat -9 and Boston +6.5 (maybe 7) for the game.

Real smart move. If you post on thread I will call your stupid plays out for everyone to see.

Well thank you. Aren't you a ray of sunshine, do I have to send you paypal for your services?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #42
jt16

Quote:
Well thank you. Aren't you a ray of sunshine, do I have to send you paypal for your services?
Not all, I just think you are full of sh!t. I posted this on the football forum, maybe it will help somebody here also. Good Luck.
NOT ALL OF THIS WILL APPLY TO BASKETBALL

-Bet straight....If you think a team can't cover a spread, don't tease it, just bet the other side, teasers, parlays, reverses, etc are sucker bets.

I remember when I was in college and I bet like a sucker, VT was playing BC on a Thursday night. I think the spread was 17. I "needed" the action so I was going to bet the favorite (like I always did). So I thought to myself lets open a teaser, na still laying 11. Lets open a 3 team teaser! Na still laying 7....Then it came to me if I didn't think VT would cover 11 or 7 why the hell I am not betting BC +17. I bet BC and won and learned a lesson.

-Don't chase....if you bet every week, you WILL lose some weeks. It is ok to lose, it happens. Pay your debt and move on to the next week. The Monday night get even trap is for people who don't understand how to be successful at gambling. Only bet games you like, don't bet to get even. So many people try to get even on Monday night so they don't have to pay their bookie. If you don't want to pay your bookie DON'T BET.

-Manage your money, I usually have 2 amounts, one for normal plays and one for big plays. Thats it. This kinda goes with chasing. If I lose 5 plays in a row I don't change my amounts, At some point I hope to get hot and win 5 in a row.

-Don't be afraid to bet underdogs.....It takes balls to put your money on bad teams. The house always wins right? Well who do you think the house is backing every week? UNDERDOGS. There is this theory out there, that Vegas/Bookies want 50/50 action on games and just want to collect the juice. That is completely wrong. If you think the books get 50/50 action on games you are crazy. The majority of gamblers bet favorites. Vegas sets the lines as they see fit, not to get 50/50 action. Eagles are favorites this week over Atlanta. Vegas set that line according to their system not to how people will react. Green Bay was giving 4/5 to the Rams last week, you think books had 50/50 action on that?

-Shop for lines if possible, don't settle for a crap line if you can get down somewhere else. Bears were 6/6.5 on Monday. If you bet the Bears at 6.5 for 50 and lost 55 when you could have pushed. If that happens a couple times over the course of a year it adds up.

-Try to stay away from betting just for action. I know that is hard but it is exactly what the books want. Hit your best play and lose the 3 TV games because you wanted to watch the game. I know it is hard to do but only bet games you like.

-Try to have your games picked out by Friday, have a plan. If you have your games picked out ahead of time, it is easier to stick to your plan. If you find yourself betting when the ball is on the tee you might have a problem.

-Don't listen to other gamblers, don't buy picks, don't take advice from some random dude on a forum. They know nothing that Vegas doesn't already know. Ohio St -10 over Miss....Ohio St has the best rushing attack in NCAA and Miss has the worst rushing defense in NCAA. You will hear that stat 50 times if your looking for info on the internet. IT DOESN"T MATTER...Vegas knows that stat, and it has been factored into the line.

-I don't look up stats or trends, I think they are useless. Stats are put in the make up of the line, trends---things in the past have no bearing on what will happen today. Just the way I think about things. I will get more info from asking the neighborhood loser his best bets this week. I will call the bookie and ask him who everyone is taking and then bet the opposite. I like to look at hints vegas gives when they release the lines.

Texas Tech gets killed by Oklahoma
WV beats Texas as an underdog
The next week WV is -3 to Tech, really only 3?? Geno Smith is the best player in NCAA and Tech lost by 21 to OK. How can the line be 3??

Tech beats WV by 35. Games like that are out there every week. I like to bet them. I don't always win but I think it is the right side.

-Don't let ESPN, Fox, CBS etc mess with your head. Do not pay attention to anything they say. Look at the big picture. Those media outlets only focus on what it going on right now.

Just my opinions on stuff I learned over the years. I used to be the guy that posted every play on SBR Forums or Covers.com. I learned by losing a lot of money. Hope this helps somebody. Good Luck! (sorry for spelling and grammer at work and rushed)

Last edited by jt16; 10-30-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #43
EricInCT
Banned

What part is so hard to believe, am I missing something here? I am not putting in teasers in NBA, perhaps you have me confused with someone else.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #44
jt16

Quote:
What part is so hard to believe, am I missing something here? I am not putting in teasers in NBA, perhaps you have me confused with someone else.
I find it hard to believe that you are stupid enough to bet both sides of a basketball game with a 2 point middle where you can lose both sides. I think anybody betting real money would not bet all three sides, all three totals and all 6 halftime games in a night where there is only three games. The juice on any real bets will eat you alive over time and you couldn't turn a profit by the end of the year. Lets say you are betting 100 per game, (which we know isn't possible because you like to be 40x the normal play) you would lose 10 on every losing bet. Also most halftime lines might have 20 cent juice so you could be losing more.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #45
LeonfromNC

Quote:
Not all, I just think you are full of sh!t. I posted this on the football forum, maybe it will help somebody here also. Good Luck.
NOT ALL OF THIS WILL APPLY TO BASKETBALL

-Bet straight....If you think a team can't cover a spread, don't tease it, just bet the other side, teasers, parlays, reverses, etc are sucker bets.

I remember when I was in college and I bet like a sucker, VT was playing BC on a Thursday night. I think the spread was 17. I "needed" the action so I was going to bet the favorite (like I always did). So I thought to myself lets open a teaser, na still laying 11. Lets open a 3 team teaser! Na still laying 7....Then it came to me if I didn't think VT would cover 11 or 7 why the hell I am not betting BC +17. I bet BC and won and learned a lesson.

-Don't chase....if you bet every week, you WILL lose some weeks. It is ok to lose, it happens. Pay your debt and move on to the next week. The Monday night get even trap is for people who don't understand how to be successful at gambling. Only bet games you like, don't bet to get even. So many people try to get even on Monday night so they don't have to pay their bookie. If you don't want to pay your bookie DON'T BET.

-Manage your money, I usually have 2 amounts, one for normal plays and one for big plays. Thats it. This kinda goes with chasing. If I lose 5 plays in a row I don't change my amounts, At some point I hope to get hot and win 5 in a row.

-Don't be afraid to bet underdogs.....It takes balls to put your money on bad teams. The house always wins right? Well who do you think the house is backing every week? UNDERDOGS. There is this theory out there, that Vegas/Bookies want 50/50 action on games and just want to collect the juice. That is completely wrong. If you think the books get 50/50 action on games you are crazy. The majority of gamblers bet favorites. Vegas sets the lines as they see fit, not to get 50/50 action. Eagles are favorites this week over Atlanta. Vegas set that line according to their system not to how people will react. Green Bay was giving 4/5 to the Rams last week, you think books had 50/50 action on that?

-Shop for lines if possible, don't settle for a crap line if you can get down somewhere else. Bears were 6/6.5 on Monday. If you bet the Bears at 6.5 for 50 and lost 55 when you could have pushed. If that happens a couple times over the course of a year it adds up.

-Try to stay away from betting just for action. I know that is hard but it is exactly what the books want. Hit your best play and lose the 3 TV games because you wanted to watch the game. I know it is hard to do but only bet games you like.

-Try to have your games picked out by Friday, have a plan. If you have your games picked out ahead of time, it is easier to stick to your plan. If you find yourself betting when the ball is on the tee you might have a problem.

-Don't listen to other gamblers, don't buy picks, don't take advice from some random dude on a forum. They know nothing that Vegas doesn't already know. Ohio St -10 over Miss....Ohio St has the best rushing attack in NCAA and Miss has the worst rushing defense in NCAA. You will hear that stat 50 times if your looking for info on the internet. IT DOESN"T MATTER...Vegas knows that stat, and it has been factored into the line.

-I don't look up stats or trends, I think they are useless. Stats are put in the make up of the line, trends---things in the past have no bearing on what will happen today. Just the way I think about things. I will get more info from asking the neighborhood loser his best bets this week. I will call the bookie and ask him who everyone is taking and then bet the opposite. I like to look at hints vegas gives when they release the lines.

Texas Tech gets killed by Oklahoma
WV beats Texas as an underdog
The next week WV is -3 to Tech, really only 3?? Geno Smith is the best player in NCAA and Tech lost by 21 to OK. How can the line be 3??

Tech beats WV by 35. Games like that are out there every week. I like to bet them. I don't always win but I think it is the right side.

-Don't let ESPN, Fox, CBS etc mess with your head. Do not pay attention to anything they say. Look at the big picture. Those media outlets only focus on what it going on right now.

Just my opinions on stuff I learned over the years. I used to be the guy that posted every play on SBR Forums or Covers.com. I learned by losing a lot of money. Hope this helps somebody. Good Luck! (sorry for spelling and grammer at work and rushed)
Well said... i especially agree with staying away from teasers!!!
LeonfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #46
EricInCT
Banned

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that you are stupid enough to bet both sides of a basketball game with a 2 point middle where you can lose both sides. I think anybody betting real money would not bet all three sides, all three totals and all 6 halftime games in a night where there is only three games. The juice on any real bets will eat you alive over time and you couldn't turn a profit by the end of the year. Lets say you are betting 100 per game, (which we know isn't possible because you like to be 40x the normal play) you would lose 10 on every losing bet. Also most halftime lines might have 20 cent juice so you could be losing more.
2-0 for the game at the half.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #47
Bosco

bleh... good game. Celtics need to work on their defense. It looks like KG is completely done.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #48
Pejarox7620
Banned

Quote:
One is a loss and one hasn't even played yet, you can easily go 0-2.

Hope you at least split man.
I can go 2 for 3 for the day. I like having LA -2 instead of -9 though.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #49
jt16

Quote:
2-0 for the game at the half.
Haha, best outcome for that Heat game was to lose 10% of your bet...You risked 2.2x to lose 0.1x. Nice job!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #50
EricInCT
Banned

Added Over 94 on the Dallas 1st half.