Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
mt27

Thumbs down FAKE Signed Photo Seller on eBay...

This guy is selling absolutely fake signed photos, and he's getting some people. BRYCE HARPER Autograph Photo | eBay
Bryce Harper autograph photo | eBay

I hate people like this...
Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
JohnnysBench

This is horrible...how do you report a seller? I only know how to report an auction....
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
tonedef2oo8

wait till feedback is left and contact whom ever leaves feedback and let them know.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
VeedonFleece

Forgive my ignorance but how do you know it is fake? It looks less fake than his USA Baseball autos!
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
JohnnysBench

Looks less fake? Something cannot be less or more fake. These are forgeries, that's a promise...Besides being poor examples, look at the vague wording of the title ect...this is a red flagger for sure...
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
crabbygraphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeedonFleece View Post
Forgive my ignorance but how do you know it is fake? It looks less fake than his USA Baseball autos!
None of them are even close. First flag is why get them all on 4x6's. Second flay is that he has all the top players (Harper, Trout, Luck, Newton). He is new to ebay (probably have been banned before and this is a new name).
Pittsburgh Steelers game used/autographs
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Afton9444

look at every auto he has sold...so bad even the trout auto looks horrible mike does not sign his M that way. This guy is a complete FAKE
Afton9444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Cuddy Collector

Serious question here, below is what you will find on the majority of eBay Autograph Auctions. Why does the collecting community feel the need to warn of every Tom, Dick and Harry seller of potential "fake autographs" when eBay clearly lays out the below before you submit your bid?

If an item, as you have posted, is so fake, its the buyers fault for not doing the research (see below), and no one elses. Just my $.02 worth.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Autograph Buying Tips: eBay requires sellers who promote listings with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) to provide details about the certificate including the name of the issuing party. Listings that don’t comply are in violation of eBay policy and may not be covered by eBay services such as feedback and purchase protections.

Before you buy, use this checklist to help you get the autograph that you want!

# Read the listing carefully. Make sure you’re comfortable with the description and image of the item.

# Get an Expert opinion. Before you buy, use the "Quick Opinion" service to get the opinion of a qualified expert (for a nominal fee).

# Seek a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from a prominent authenticator. Some authenticators are considered more credible with the industry and collectors. At a minimum, make sure the COA issuer has a proven track record of experience and integrity.

# Check the seller's feedback rating and ask questions. Don’t hesitate to ask the seller about their reputation or how they came to possess an item.

# Be aware of "reprints". Sellers may sell reproductions of original autographs, but are required to disclose that they are reprints. Look for other reprint names like “print” or “copy” in the item description.

# Do your research. Find out what an athlete’s signature looks like and remember, “If it seems too good to be true,” it probably is.
Cuddy Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
nhsportsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddy Collector View Post
Serious question here, below is what you will find on the majority of eBay Autograph Auctions. Why does the collecting community feel the need to warn of every Tom, Dick and Harry seller of potential "fake autographs" when eBay clearly lays out the below before you submit your bid?

If an item, as you have posted, is so fake, its the buyers fault for not doing the research (see below), and no one elses. Just my $.02 worth.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Autograph Buying Tips: eBay requires sellers who promote listings with a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) to provide details about the certificate including the name of the issuing party. Listings that don’t comply are in violation of eBay policy and may not be covered by eBay services such as feedback and purchase protections.

Before you buy, use this checklist to help you get the autograph that you want!

# Read the listing carefully. Make sure you’re comfortable with the description and image of the item.

# Get an Expert opinion. Before you buy, use the "Quick Opinion" service to get the opinion of a qualified expert (for a nominal fee).

# Seek a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) from a prominent authenticator. Some authenticators are considered more credible with the industry and collectors. At a minimum, make sure the COA issuer has a proven track record of experience and integrity.

# Check the seller's feedback rating and ask questions. Don’t hesitate to ask the seller about their reputation or how they came to possess an item.

# Be aware of "reprints". Sellers may sell reproductions of original autographs, but are required to disclose that they are reprints. Look for other reprint names like “print” or “copy” in the item description.

# Do your research. Find out what an athlete’s signature looks like and remember, “If it seems too good to be true,” it probably is.
Let me re-phrase your opening statement so you can see the ridiculousness of it...
Why do people who care about their hobby feel the need to post threads to warn other people, perhaps those less-informed, about scams?

Seriously bud, why would you ask that?! Are you really that obtuse that you can't see why people in a community are trying to take care of each other?!

Last edited by nhsportsguy; 09-13-2012 at 12:32 PM.
nhsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
RedSoxFan28

All of them are fake, I just love this Braun auto Ryan Braun Autograph Photo | eBay
Old 09-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Cuddy Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
Let me re-phrase your opening statement so you can see the ridiculousness of it...
Why do people who care about their hobby feel the need to post threads to warn other people, perhaps those less-informed, about scams?

Seriously bud, why would you ask that?! Are you really that obtuse that you can't see why people in a community are trying to take care of each other?!
You must have skipped every single bullet point above, this one in particular, "Do your research. Find out what an athlete’s signature looks like and remember, “If it seems too good to be true,” it probably is."

If as a buyer you are "less informed" then you should not be shelling out your hard earned dollars, or mommy and daddys, without some sort of research. That sir is what is ridiculous.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
TXGunslinger

Quote:

Are these your auctions?

I don't understand why people shouldn't be warned. The purpose of a community is to help each other out. It is the buyer's responsibility to do research but the problem is with the seller. If your parents/girlfriend/other important person in your life knew that you really wanted a Mike Trout auto and bought you one of these you would be happy? It would be their fault and not the sellers is what you are saying?

The community gets scumbag sellers like this removed from eBay so that the inexperienced buyers are more protected.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
RedSoxFan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybcollins View Post
Are these your auctions?

I don't understand why people shouldn't be warned. The purpose of a community is to help each other out. It is the buyer's responsibility to do research but the problem is with the seller. If your parents/girlfriend/other important person in your life knew that you really wanted a Mike Trout auto and bought you one of these you would be happy? It would be their fault and not the sellers is what you are saying?

The community gets scumbag sellers like this removed from eBay so that the inexperienced buyers are more protected.
I was thinking the same thing, and they are getting really defensive of it
Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Cuddy Collector

LOL, yeah, they are my auctions <rolling eyes>

EDIT: For the conspiracy theorist on here, I live in Minnesota, these auctions are in California

I just have an opinion that we live in a society of waaaaaay too much hand holding .
My girlfriend/wife/mother/sister/brother/uncle/cousin/(insert anyone here you want) would not buy anything for me without doing their research first. You know why? Because I have educated them enough that they know there are fakes abound out there no matter where you purchase them from.

I just had a simple question and opinion, in no way was I getting defensive or sticking up for the seller. Others here have made the huge stink about it. I was merely looking at it from a different angle/perspective, looking for thoughts on the other side of the coin. But I get it, I am the "new guy" with only 14 posts, so I must be the seller or a scammer or some idiot cohort of the seller. Gotta love the "jump on the new guy" mentality of forums.

Last edited by Cuddy Collector; 09-13-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
VeedonFleece

I agree with everything you've said Cuddy.

That said, they're MY auctions!
VeedonFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
friarbolt

Quote:

EDIT: For the conspiracy theorist on here, I live in Minnesota, these auctions are in California

I just have an opinion that we live in a society of waaaaaay too much hand holding .
My girlfriend/wife/mother/sister/brother/uncle/cousin/(insert anyone here you want) would not buy anything for me without doing their research first. You know why? Because I have educated them enough that they know there are fakes abound out there no matter where you purchase them from.

I just had a simple question and opinion, in no way was I getting defensive or sticking up for the seller. Others here have made the huge stink about it. I was merely looking at it from a different angle/perspective, looking for thoughts on the other side of the coin. But I get it, I am the "new guy" with only 14 posts, so I must be the seller or a scammer or some idiot cohort of the seller. Gotta love the "jump on the new guy" mentality of forums.
How about the fact that it's still wrong? Are you suggesting we let him continue to do it because Ebay warns people about fakes? Like that makes it okay to try and defraud people because they didn't do their homework?

Nobody is defending the buyers, but it's wrong either way.
friarbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
nhsportsguy

Quote:
You must have skipped every single bullet point above, this one in particular, "Do your research. Find out what an athlete’s signature looks like and remember, “If it seems too good to be true,” it probably is."

If as a buyer you are "less informed" then you should not be shelling out your hard earned dollars, or mommy and daddys, without some sort of research. That sir is what is ridiculous.
I certainly hope 'you' is meant in the abstract, and not actually me. In fact, I'll go ahead and assume it is, in order to keep a level head when talking to you.

No one here will ever argue with 'caveat emptor', but, seeing as how this a community, what is wrong with helping each other out? Think about it, if you knew someone was about to purchase a car that you knew to be on it's last legs, wouldn't you warn them? Or would you just mumble to yourself, what an idiot that guy is. If your choice is the latter, you sir, should not be here.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
RedSoxFan28

Quote:

If they are really your auctions then it was pretty stupid of you to say so
Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
BeingJustin

Quote:

Your first impression is worth alot in this community, the first impression I get from you is "quick, block this idiot". Don't get bent outta shape but its just a impression. People only jump on others with ridiculous post as was your first in this thread.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
Cuddy Collector

OK, I will play the other side of the coin here, just for debating sake, not because I am the seller, support the seller, am in cahoots with the seller, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friarbolt View Post
How about the fact that it's still wrong?
* - Show me 100% proof that the Bryce Harper linked is 100% fake. Did anyone here do a quick opinion? Or is everyones "opinion" just that, an opinion?

Are you suggesting we let him continue to do it because Ebay warns people about fakes?
* - Im not suggesting you or anyone on Blowout warn the community, or not warn the community about this purported "fraud". My point was, eBay prompts buyers before placing that bid to be leery of fakes, frauds, reprints, etc of athletes autographs. Isn't that enough of a warning to a buyer to either 1) place that bid because they are confident in that it is real or 2) stop, think about what you were just warned, hit the back button and go and do some research.

Like that makes it okay to try and defraud people because they didn't do their homework?
* - Again, I never suggest that it was OK to defraud anyone. I am putting the onus on the buyer to do their research. If they are lazy and dont want to do their research and they get burned, is that their fault or Blowouts Communities fault for not warning them??

Its fine and dandy that communities want to warn others, I just think it is over redundant to post everytime someone "thinks" a seller is selling fake autographs. Unless there is 100% proof, it is just an opinion, not a fact.
Again, just the other side of the debate folks.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
TXGunslinger

Quote:

Has nothing to do with you being the "new guy" but everything to do with defending a dirtbag seller.

Quote:

And thank you for identifying yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
I certainly hope 'you' is meant in the abstract, and not actually me. In fact, I'll go ahead and assume it is, in order to keep a level head when talking to you.

No one here will ever argue with 'caveat emptor', but, seeing as how this a community, what is wrong with helping each other out? Think about it, if you knew someone was about to purchase a car that you knew to be on it's last legs, wouldn't you warn them? Or would you just mumble to yourself, what an idiot that guy is. If your choice is the latter, you sir, should not be here.
Agree 100%
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #22
Cuddy Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingJustin View Post
Your first impression is worth alot in this community, the first impression I get from you is "quick, block this idiot". Don't get bent outta shape but its just a impression. People only jump on others with ridiculous post as was your first in this thread.
I would never get "bent out of shape" in a forum, I have bigger issues in life to get bent out of shape from, baseball cards and public forums is no where near the top of that list.

Not sure how my post could be construed as "ridiculous" when it was a matter of questioning the other side of point of view. Yes, there are always two sides to every POV. If you think I am an idiot for bringing up the other side, then block me, I promise to not lose sleep over it or get "bent out of shape".
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
Cuddy Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybcollins View Post
Has nothing to do with you being the "new guy" but everything to do with defending a dirtbag seller.
Please quote me where I was defending the seller?

If its this quote, "its the buyers fault for not doing the research", where you are suggesting I am defending the seller, then you are reading waaaaaaaaaaay too deep into that line.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
BeingJustin

Quote:
I would never get "bent out of shape" in a forum, I have bigger issues in life to get bent out of shape from, baseball cards and public forums is no where near the top of that list.

Not sure how my post could be construed as "ridiculous" when it was a matter of questioning the other side of point of view. Yes, there are always two sides to every POV. If you think I am an idiot for bringing up the other side, then block me, I promise to not lose sleep over it or get "bent out of shape".
Point proven that your just on a troll-a-thon, defending scumbag sellers must be on the top of your list huh?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Cuddy Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingJustin View Post
Point proven that your just on a troll-a-thon, defending scumbag sellers must be on the top of your list huh?
See above one post.
Show me where I am defending this seller.

I never once defended this or any other seller, I put the research on the buyer to ensure what they were buying was legitimate. If you all want to report a seller for selling "fake" autos, are you required to provide proof to eBay that these are in fact "fake"? If so, how do you go about proving its a fake? Do you do a quick opinion and provide the reply back? I'm am 100% serious with those questions.

Last edited by Cuddy Collector; 09-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.