Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
duplechien

Default Your opinions on sticker autos

Wanted to get your opinions on cards with sticker autos as opposed to on-card autos. Do you think they bring down the value of a card? I can see the logic behind using them (i.e. ease and not damaging the cards) but it seems like it takes away from the personal effect of knowing the player handled the actual card. Your thoughts?
duplechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
tristan20
Banned

Stickers suck, especially when you get a redemption with sticker autos

They spoil the cards, look at all those ugly kobe sticker autos on some really good cards from this years redemptions.
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
gman71

I despise them. Nothing turns me off a card more than seeing a sticker slapped right in the middle of a card
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
duplechien

Lately when I search for autos on ebay, I only look at on-card autos.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
yepperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by duplechien View Post
Lately when I search for autos on ebay, I only look at on-card autos.
I do the same. Lucky for me, out of the 2 Panini boxes I've purchased there has only been one sticker auto. I hope it stays that way.
yepperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
n1nesports

I agree that it does take away from the card. Plus it's stupid knowing the player probably doesn't even know what the card the sticker is going on looks like. They could make him sign 1000 stickers and keep them and use them for 20 different sets lol.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
duplechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nesports View Post
I agree that it does take away from the card. Plus it's stupid knowing the player probably doesn't even know what the card the sticker is going on looks like. They could make him sign 1000 stickers and keep them and use them for 20 different sets lol.
They will take 1000 sticker autos, put them on an exquisite or black product that is numbered to 100 and it book for $200 yet that same sticker will be placed on a product like SPGU numbered to 25 and only be booked at $80!?!? I just dont understand Whatever happened to "supply and demand"??
Old 02-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
ctozzi

personally dont like em or collect them , however a good option for those who cannot afford the higher end stuff. Black looks cool tho here is the only one i have:
Roy SPX/299 picture by ctozzi - Photobucket
ctozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 AM   #9
mwheeler27

I can't stand sticker autos. I won't buy sticker autos. I think in the future, all sticker auto cards will bring significantly less money. People want the real deal, and sticker autos are not it.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #10
midnight_show

An auto is an auto, they dont look as good as on card, but they still an auto.
midnight_show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
yepperz

I was going to ask if anyone has been able to tell if the sticker auto's are just on the higher # parallels?

But after looking at my Toney Douglas auto sticker card it was #/50. Speaking of these parallels, there seems to be way too many. I'm going to start another thread about this issue.
yepperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #12
boxbreaker88
Banned

i know everyone complains about sticker autos but i could not care less. IT is still an authentic autograph. yeah when buying a michael jordan or kobe auto i would hope it is on card but for the most part i do not care
boxbreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
bmc398

Here's my 2 cents (which may be all its worth, really): What would you rather have...a perfectly maintained sticker auto or an on card auto that has faded 5 years from now. The topps stickers are really good at taking and preserving the auto. Id much rather have this than bubbled and faded on card autos.
bmc398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #14
bballcardheaven

To me it depends on how well the sticker is placed. If the sticker is in a good location and it looks nice, then I don't have too much of a problem with it. But if the sticker isn't clear or is terribly placed, then I hate it. I always prefer on-card autos to sticker autos, but sometimes I don't mind as much.
bballcardheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
cb4rules

plain and simple sticker autos suck!
cb4rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
suki24

almost every panini product has been sticker autos, I'm going to assume that they have stored away thousands of autos for future cards, this really is disappointing, I might stop supporting them
suki24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
kyle1707

Hate them

Makes the card company look lazy IMO

Back in early to mid 2000's

Had some of the best auto checklists in every sport and everything was on card.

If they can't do on card i wish they would do the white paper cut look
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #18
duplechien

I think stickers take away from the hands on experience of knowing that the player actually handled the card you now have.

http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/af329/duplechien
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
JellyMolly

Before, I don't mind as much when company used stickers on low-end releases as long as the autograph is not cut-off.

But now I'm sick of seeing Panini using them because it seems like they try to piss you off by putting the sticker on the worst spot possible on the card (dark background, etc).

And it's just wrong to use stickers on high-end releases (TT, absolute, National Treasures, etc)

I really miss exquisite and UD black...
JellyMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #20
IronMonkey415
Banned

I have no problem with them.
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #21
bled11qb

I don't mind stickers at all. The card still has the player's Auto on it. Think about it like this, people hate redemptions, but with stickers it can help cut down on redemptions. Of course, not all the time, but just imagine they never used stickers. You would have numerous more redemptions. Also, as for the player actually handling the card. I could care less. I don't buy a card because he handled it. I just want the Auto. Actually, think about this, he didn't handle the card, but the pen he used to sign the Auto touched the sticker. Plus, when cards have to be shipped numerous times to a player & then back to the company or from numerous players (for multi signed cards) & then back to the company, imagine how many times those cards could get lost or damaged. Everyone hates damaged cards, but wit having to ship all of these cards numerous times there will always been damage to these cards. And, my last point. If they have players sign many stickers, they can have a good supply of Auto's to use in many different products & for thos instances when it is an old time player, if he dies, they could still have a good supply of Auto's before they have to start using some of those god awful cuts used. So, stickers aren't all that bad. Either way, are you going to actually complain if you pulled a Michael Jordan sticker Auto when you could've pulled an on card Auto of some no name Rookie who averages 1 minute a game & last no more than 1 year in the league?

Last edited by bled11qb; 05-22-2010 at 08:58 PM.
bled11qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #22
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bled11qb View Post
I don't mind stickers at all. The card still has the player's Auto on it. Think about it like this, people hate redemptions, but with stickers it can help cut down on redemptions. Of course, not all the time, but just imagine they never used stickers. You would have numerous more redemptions.
Not true for all companies. I know of at least one product that's 100% on-card autos with zero redemptions. It can be done. Stickers suck, plain and simple. Any excuse as to why they are necessary is exactly that...an excuse.

Quote:
Plus, when cards have to be shipped numerous times to a player & then back to the company or from numerous players (for multi signed cards) & then back to the company, imagine how many times those cards could get lost or damaged. Everyone hates damaged cards, but wit having to ship all of these cards numerous times there will always been damage to these cards.
Just because you have on-card autos, doesn't mean the cards have to be damaged. It's called "quality control". Now, I know this word is barely in the vocabulary of some companies let alone in their business practices, but it does exist in other companies.

Quote:
And, my last point. If they have players sign many stickers, they can have a good supply of Auto's to use in many different products & for thos instances when it is an old time player, if he dies, they could still have a good supply of Auto's before they have to start using some of those god awful cuts used. So, stickers aren't all that bad. Either way, are you going to actually complain if you pulled a Michael Jordan sticker Auto when you could've pulled an on card Auto of some no name Rookie who averages 1 minute a game & last no more than 1 year in the league?
Stickers have brought the value of autographs down. They are too plentiful. They are the lazy man's way of making a profit, and they are hurting the industry. You might not see it right now, but you will most definitely see it in the future.

The time for sticker autos is fading quickly, and the cards containing them will only go down in value as a whole. Nearly everyone admits they would much rather have on-card autos. The card companies need to take the time and do it right. That's what the collectors want.

Hard to fit some of these autos on a sticker. Notice how good of shape the cards are still in? I would say Mint and Gem Mint cards with on-card autos are a nice addition to anyone's PC.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #23
BroncosFAN#1
Banned

I saw somebody earlier say that they put the stickers on Exquisite and black and then use them on other products. I only collect fotball and I know in Black and Exquisite football cards, they are all on card autos so that isnt true, In some cases, you wouldnt have autos at all without stickers so I dont mind them. I would rather have an on card auto but Im not gonna throw my card out just because it has a sticker auto on it, its still an autograph
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #24
UltimateDeron

My own personal preference is that I would much rather have an on card auto than a sticker auto, but there are sets that a sticker auto works well.

I have always liked how UD uses a design that easily incorporates a sticker in SPX and Topps always did a nice job with Topps Chrome, and I think those cards look very good with a sticker auto.

I have always wondered why the card manufacturers don't just have the players sign jersey pieces or patches, instead of the stickers. There are hardly any sets that have on jersey and/or on patch autos and I think that would be a great alternative. UD always made Scripted Swatches in Exquisite, but there is no reason why other card companies can't do the same.

Last edited by UltimateDeron; 05-23-2010 at 12:46 AM.
UltimateDeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
MFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDeron View Post
My own personal preference is that I would much rather have an on card auto than a sticker auto, but there are sets that a sticker auto works well.

I have always liked how UD uses a design that easily incorporates a sticker in SPX and Topps always did a nice job with Topps Chrome, and I think those cards look very good with a sticker auto.

I have always wondered why the card manufacturers don't just have the players sign jersey pieces or patches, instead of the stickers. There are hardly any sets that have on jersey and/or on patch autos and I think that would be a great alternative. UD always made Scripted Swatches in Exquisite, but there is no reason why other card companies can't do the same.

Have you seen some of the 09-10 Topps Letter autos? That could be why. The two CDRs I have, you can barely tell they are auto'd. But if you look at the Hot Prospects letter autos from 08-09, the CDRs are much better. Manufactured letters though. *shrug*
MFM is offline   Reply With Quote