Blowout Cards Forums
April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:11 AM   #1
jewcer2k5

Default What is holding you back???

So after seeing all of the people coming out of the woodwork for a free contest in curious what holds you back from being more involved in the forum.

1. Many folks said they read everything but never say anything. Why is that?

2. Some people said they buy/sell/trade on eBay and at local shows but not here. Why is that?

I'm always trying to figure out how we can grow the card collecting community so I'm really excited to hear some insight on what is holding people back from being more active in one they passively participate in.

Last edited by jewcer2k5; 12-27-2016 at 04:55 AM.
jewcer2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
bubbs11

The longer I've been a member, the less I post. I think there are some really terrific people on this forum and some people who's sole existence is to try and prove other people wrong. I think folks just choose the lesser of two evils and stay quiet.
bubbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:34 AM   #3
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
The longer I've been a member, the less I post. I think there are some really terrific people on this forum and some people who's sole existence is to try and prove other people wrong. I think folks just choose the lesser of two evils and stay quiet.
But does that stop you from buying and selling as well?
Old 12-27-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
MNmoose78

One of the things that bothers me about looking at posts, for instance when someone shows off their box breaks and say "nothing for sale or trade at this time", and to no fail you scroll down and someone asks 'how much" for a particular card. I don't do a ton of buying and selling on here but have done some and most of the time it works out great, but no matter what you write in your OP someone will not read it and ask questions that can be answered by simply reading the OP.
MNmoose78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #5
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNmoose78 View Post
One of the things that bothers me about looking at posts, for instance when someone shows off their box breaks and say "nothing for sale or trade at this time", and to no fail you scroll down and someone asks 'how much" for a particular card. I don't do a ton of buying and selling on here but have done some and most of the time it works out great, but no matter what you write in your OP someone will not read it and ask questions that can be answered by simply reading the OP.
Totally agree that people don't read posts. They just skip a lot of what is written and say what they want to say regardless of what is written. I see that is something that holds you back from posting a lot but does it also hold you back from buying/selling/trading?
Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
rcmb3220

I'd love to buy sell and trade here. But I mostly have and collect PSA graded hof rookies from the 70s and 80s which is pretty much a dead zone here.
rcmb3220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:39 AM   #7
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmb3220 View Post
I'd love to buy sell and trade here. But I mostly have and collect PSA graded hof rookies from the 70s and 80s which is pretty much a dead zone here.
I think that's becoming a much hotter market, but that is good info. Do you most of your dealings on places like net54 or just eBay/local shows.

I know those kinda of cards (especially graded) aren't super common at shows.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
TarjetasBéisbol

Quote:
That is a big problem here and many of those who don't bother to read the entire posts want others to give them the cliff notes version.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:50 AM   #9
MNmoose78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewcer2k5 View Post
Totally agree that people don't read posts. They just skip a lot of what is written and say what they want to say regardless of what is written. I see that is something that holds you back from posting a lot but does it also hold you back from buying/selling/trading?
Not so much. When you sell on BO you deal with the same thing on Ebay, people asking whats the least you will take for something, it sold for this and that but I would rather deal with people on BO as their is less likely to be the issues that can come with selling on Ebay as far as scammers and low life's. The one thing that does kind of bother me is the people who insist on paying 10% less then what you want for a card because "Thats what you would pay ebay'. I have done many great and successful deals on BO and really can't remember any of them being bad. I'm in the military so I travel a ton and deploy once a year, so hopefully when I retire and get into a steady civilian job next year it will give me more time to buy, sell and trade. I will say probably my favorite part of BO is the group breaks. Ive had some great luck and some not so good, but it helps me enjoy the hobby!
MNmoose78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Hess687

I originally started out when joining doing nothing but commenting in the Baseball/Basketball/Football sections. After awhile, those sections became nothing more than constant bickering back and forth of "Who's the better player" "Why you're wrong and I'm right" and a LOT of rehashed topics. Only been a member for a couple of years now, but I can't tell you the number of repeated threads I've seen here and when you post a link to that thread, it's completely ignored and the duplicate thread continues.

Now I just stay in the hockey section and mainly read (no posting) as they are a lot more friendlier over there and the "Off Topic" section and pick and choose when to post and what threads to stay away from.

As for BST, I view this more as option number 2. I take a 9% hit by selling on eBay but that 9% is worth avoiding some of the hassle of selling on here. I mainly use this to dump lots I wouldn't be able to get much for on eBay and am just looking to get rid of for cheap.

I just don't understand why I need to sell "Below eBay". If a card is worth $50 on eBay why should I discount it on here? I get that I only make $45 on a $50 sale at eBay's 10% fee but why should I pass that discount on? The whole reason to sell off eBay is to avoid their fees, but now I'm having to tack on that fee to sell it on here? I'll just sell it on eBay where I have more "eyes" on my item.
Hess687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #11
enbambam6986

I think a small discount is acceptable on blowout. The biggest perk about this site is that Houdini will take action if a buyer tries to screw over the seller. Can't say the same about eBay...
enbambam6986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 AM   #12
jewcer2k5

Some great insight from people that are actively posting and involved. Looking to hear more from the lurkers that are traditionally not involved.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #13
Big35Hurt

Quote:
So after seeing all of the people coming out of the woodwork for a free contest in curious what holds you back from being more involved in the forum.

2. Some people said they buy/sell/trade on eBay and at local shows but not here. Why is that?

I'm always trying to figure out how we can grow the card collecting community so I'm really excited to hear some insight on what is holding people back from being more active in one they passively participate in.
#1 doesn't apply to me, so I will skip that.

#2 will depend what side of the transaction you are on. As a buyer, I buy more lower end items than high end items. Shipping costs come into play as a single $5 card becomes $8 with shipping. If I can hold out and hope to find it a a card show for $5, then I will go that route. I still do a decent amount of buying online, but mostly it's on Ebay as the search format is 100x better than here as well as a broader selection. For selling, it's a combination of getting tired of being chiseled by people who want prices much lower than eBay, or people with unrealistic expectations. What I mean by the expectations is that too many buyers want a full unquestioned return policy if the item won't grade as a gem, or want to be able to return the card if the values decline. Greed has become such a big part of this hobby, that at times I have considered quitting altogether. If I do decide to sell, it will be at card shows or local Craigslist deals.

Edit: As far as trading, I haven't done that since I was a pre-teen. Back then, my best friend (who collected as well), decided to make his own price guide with some really unrealistic prices. I was focused on building sets at that time, and god forbid if I needed any Tigers cards as that was his favorite team. He would put trade values of 20x the true value. Needless to say, it turned me off to trading permanently, lol.

Last edited by Big35Hurt; 12-27-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Big35Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #14
Big35Hurt

Quote:
I had that happen a couple of months ago with a box break I posted. Sure enough, I had posted nothing for sale at this time but someone came along and asked if I was interested in selling. With the next box/case break, I put it in red and bold.
Big35Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #15
Keyser Soze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big35Hurt View Post
#1 doesn't apply to me, so I will skip that.

#2 will depend what side of the transaction you are on. As a buyer, I buy more lower end items than high end items. Shipping costs come into play as a single $5 card becomes $8 with shipping. If I can hold out and hope to find it a a card show for $5, then I will go that route. I still do a decent amount of buying online, but mostly it's on Ebay as the search format is 100x better than here as well as a broader selection. For selling, it's a combination of getting tired of being chiseled by people who want prices much lower than eBay, or people with unrealistic expectations. What I mean by the expectations is that too many buyers want a full unquestioned return policy if the item won't grade as a gem, or want to be able to return the card if the values decline. Greed has become such a big part of this hobby, that at times I have considered quitting altogether. If I do decide to sell, it will be at card shows or local Craigslist deals.

Edit: As far as trading, I haven't done that since I was a pre-teen. Back then, my best friend (who collected as well), decided to make his own price guide with some really unrealistic prices. I was focused on building sets at that time, and god forbid if I needed any Tigers cards as that was his favorite team. He would put trade values of 20x the true value. Needless to say, it turned me off to trading permanently, lol.
No disrespect at all, but you have 3,500 posts and 50 Itrader, so he wasn't really asking you.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:05 AM   #16
thebrett

I am waiting for the PEOTUS to make Americans great again
Old 12-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #17
JohnRyno
Banned

OP had an Ace of Base cover band at his Bar Mitzvah.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #18
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrett View Post
I am waiting for the PEOTUS to make Americans great again
And you don't like interacting with human beings over the interwebs.

Edit - or in person
Old 12-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #19
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyno View Post
OP had an Ace of Base cover band at his Bar Mitzvah.
Had a DJ bro. Good story.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #20
JohnRyno
Banned

I saw the sign.
JohnRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #21
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRyno View Post
I saw the sign.
First CD I ever owned...Now back on topic....Lurkers???????
Old 12-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #22
scottbdoug

Quote:

i trade on Zistle, its so much easier than anywhere else.
scottbdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #23
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbdoug View Post
i trade on Zistle, its so much easier than anywhere else.
What is zistle?
Old 12-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #24
tkraft24

To make the lurkers feel more comfortable, I suggest they use JohnRyno as a vehicle for their voice. Simply send him a PM with your thoughts and he'll relay to this thread anonymously....
Old 12-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #25
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkraft24 View Post
To make the lurkers feel more comfortable, I suggest they use JohnRyno as a vehicle for their voice. Simply send him a PM with your thoughts and he'll relay to this thread anonymously....
Or he will just post a gif to summarize what is said to him.