AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #26
Hellfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Keep in mind also that the bulk of this new series is comprised of all new hand-painted art-- nearly 90 new pieces.
I trust that you have one of your top selling artists (Ted Dastick Jr.) from the 2012 set doing base cards? Shame on you if not! SHAME!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #27
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
I trust that you have one of your top selling artists (Ted Dastick Jr.) from the 2012 set doing base cards? Shame on you if not! SHAME!
Our roster for the base set is:

-Ed Repka (album cover artist and NECA toy designer)
-Earl Norem (legendary pulp cover artist)
-Joe Jusko (Marvel Masterpieces)
-Greg Staples (Judge Dredd)
-Glen Orbik (pulp comic cover artist, most recently provided covers for Stephen King's crime stories)
-Eric Peterson (Magic: The Gathering)
-Tom Kidd (M:TG)
-Ron Spears (M:TG)
-Jim Nelson (World of Warcraft)
-David Palumbo (M:TG and much more)
-Alex Horley (MTG)
-Dan Brereton (Nocturnals)
-Sanjulian (Vampirella)
-Ralph Horsley (MTG)
-Jeff Miracola (MTG)

There may be one or two i'm missing here, but as you can see, the names involved all have a very high pedigree, from MTG, comic book covers to living legends like Earl Norem and Joe Jusko. Each one brings a unique sensibility to the set, as well, but all have a distinct "pulp" feel.
ALevine - Topps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #28
jadams
Inactive Account

Quote:
Our roster for the base set is:

-Ed Repka (album cover artist and NECA toy designer)
-Earl Norem (legendary pulp cover artist)
-Joe Jusko (Marvel Masterpieces)
-Greg Staples (Judge Dredd)
-Glen Orbik (pulp comic cover artist, most recently provided covers for Stephen King's crime stories)
-Eric Peterson (Magic: The Gathering)
-Tom Kidd (M:TG)
-Ron Spears (M:TG)
-Jim Nelson (World of Warcraft)
-David Palumbo (M:TG and much more)
-Alex Horley (MTG)
-Dan Brereton (Nocturnals)
-Sanjulian (Vampirella)
-Ralph Horsley (MTG)
-Jeff Miracola (MTG)

There may be one or two i'm missing here, but as you can see, the names involved all have a very high pedigree, from MTG, comic book covers to living legends like Earl Norem and Joe Jusko. Each one brings a unique sensibility to the set, as well, but all have a distinct "pulp" feel.
Do the sketch card guys have blanks yet?
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Do the sketch card guys have blanks yet?
I don't think so.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #30
jadams
Inactive Account

Quote:
I don't think so.
Have invites been sent out?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #31
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Have invites been sent out?
I don't think so. Any other questions?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #32
ricksam

next Q .. why dont u add jadams to the roster?
check out his UD marvel premiere work

ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #33
jadams
Inactive Account

Quote:
I don't think so. Any other questions?

Do you like okra?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Do you like okra?
Not really. My vegetables of choice are spinach or collared greens.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
jadams
Inactive Account

Quote:
Not really. My vegetables of choice are spinach or collared greens.
Fair enough.

Would you kill two pandas to save a whale?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #36
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

For those interested, you should check out the run-down posted here:

2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion Checklist, Set Info, Boxes, More

There are still a few additional details we'll announce, but this is the set, complete with ratios! Any changes will be additions to this.

We've been having a lot of fun creating this set, from writing the story to designing new art and trying to be creative with chase cards and hits. It was very important that this set be a bit different, and not just "same old same old."

Reviving Mars Attacks is not just Topps' way of bringing back an old classic or creating a new home-grown franchise, it's also about doing something innovative and different, and while we are absolutely focused on making collectors happy with parallels and hits, we also want to make a set that is truly fun (and fun to collect!)... and we really want to try to bring new fans into the hobby with this one.

-AL
Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #37
MarsAttacks

Quote:
For those interested, you should check out the run-down posted here:

2013 Topps Mars Attacks Invasion Checklist, Set Info, Boxes, More

There are still a few additional details we'll announce, but this is the set, complete with ratios! Any changes will be additions to this.

We've been having a lot of fun creating this set, from writing the story to designing new art and trying to be creative with chase cards and hits. It was very important that this set be a bit different, and not just "same old same old."

Reviving Mars Attacks is not just Topps' way of bringing back an old classic or creating a new home-grown franchise, it's also about doing something innovative and different, and while we are absolutely focused on making collectors happy with parallels and hits, we also want to make a set that is truly fun (and fun to collect!)... and we really want to try to bring new fans into the hobby with this one.

-AL
The pre-release details look pretty good and my interest is now peaked further. Personally, as someone that went heavy on the Heritage release, especially the sketch cards, I have my reservations about this new release so soon because I hope it doesn't negatively impact the Heritage release.
MarsAttacks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #38
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsAttacks View Post
The pre-release details look pretty good and my interest is now peaked further. Personally, as someone that went heavy on the Heritage release, especially the sketch cards, I have my reservations about this new release so soon because I hope it doesn't negatively impact the Heritage release.
If anything, I suspect it will have a positive effect on the Heritage set-- anyone who did not go in on it might be prompted to seek it out when they see "Invasion."

New collectors who come in (we are going beyond the hobby with press and media) might be interested to check out the original release, which is most easy to obtain via Heritage.

We will also continue to talk about the original '62 set to help push "Invasion" as the history and legacy of the original is important to the new set.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #39
Hellfish

Quote:
New collectors who come in (we are going beyond the hobby with press and media)
I really hope to see you at Nashville Comic Con in October. Nashville just opened a new bad-ass convention center and I'm hoping more card companies will sign up.

This set looks really nice. I can't wait for the release!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
I really hope to see you at Nashville Comic Con in October. Nashville just opened a new bad-ass convention center and I'm hoping more card companies will sign up.

This set looks really nice. I can't wait for the release!
Thanks, HF.

Sadly, traveling and setting up at shows outside of the NY area is costly and time consuming for us. I wish it were not the case, I would love to travel to Nashville, Seattle, Chicago and all the other great comic cons.

We still try to find ways to create some kind of presence beyond New York Comic-Con, such as the exclusive card we're giving away at IDW's booth during SDCC.

Maybe we can do something similar for Nashville.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #41
ChrisM

Will you be doing any fun NYCC event this year?
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #42
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Will you be doing any fun NYCC event this year?
Definitely-- just trying to figure out in what way. I like to give a bit of insight, as you know, to the inner workings, so here's my take on show appearances...

Last year we set up shop at NYCC with a big booth. NYCC is easy because we're local so we don't have to spend on air fare or hotels, but a booth is still pricey when your marketing budgets are small-- so last year we convinced our commerce group to do it.

They sold some product, they did the sketch-a-thon. But the show was certainly not profitable, so they're not going to want to do it again. If we're going to do it ourselves, we have to make sure we cover our costs, which may mean we do something more modest.

The sketch-a-thon, while seemingly a success on the surface, quickly turned into the same 4-5 guys getting most of the sketches (and sold on ebay before the show was over-- which we expected, of course), and our booth personnel had a hard time turning people away (it's a lot easier said than done).

What i'd like to do this year is get a smaller booth, do a sketch-a-thon or a creator signing that's a little better run to keep out the riffraff, and figure out what kind of NYCC exclusives we could do that could help us cover our costs while not gouging people. The exclusive comic last year didn't do it, like we thought it would.

But we'll be doing something there for sure. Trying to set up a MARS ATTACKS panel, too, with some big guests.

An NYCC exclusive card would be fun, of course.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #43
Spider-Fan

Alvin - The sketch-a-thon was awesome. I was really hoping you guys would have that again at Philly NSCS. I only got one card at NYCC - David Gross asked me to take some pictures while he was working to show is girlfriend I didn't realize at the time that people were just getting back in line and getting several cards done a day. I thought it was an understood "1 per person" type of deal, until I saw what some people were posting. It would be great if you figured out a way to politely stop that, since I had to wait like 2+ hours for my card, missing Zapata's Window. The Gross card is still awesome though. And the thought of you doing that again, and getting 1 card a day, is partly why I already bought a 3 day pass to NYCC.

I can tell you what disappointed me at the booth last year. (1) It was right around release for GPK BNS1 and you didn't have it at the booth. I can understand that you can't sell it at the booth before it gets shipped to your customers, but that probably would have been a great seller. (2) There was a really big display set up for a Star Wars printing plate set, but the set wasn't available for purchase yet. (3) I didn't think the sealed box prices (Wacky Packages, GPK Flashback 3, Mars Attacks) were very competitive. I could have bought any of them online with shipping for less than at the show direct from the manufacturer.

I see the "Topps Vault" stuff on eBay. Can you get stuff like that for sale at the booth? Graded cards from some of the original series, original card art, uncut sheets, etc... would be cool show exclusives. You see how well Simko, Zapata, etc.. returns sell on eBay. Maybe commission them to do some top notch cards in advance for sale at the booth. Just some things for you to think about as you're planning for the show.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #44
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Prices ARE an issue, but believe me, there are reasons we price boxes the way we do.

My plan was (and still is) to make the sketch-a-thon a regular, annual event at NYCC. But we have to do a little better: I saw cards on ebay with drawings by Jim Lee, Michael Turner, Herb Trimpe-- people had obviously been stealing blank cards, and we can't let that happen. Right there, that's grounds for us to cancel the entire event.

The issue with sales though, is a company thing: if commerce sells them, it doesn't help my group-- who's paying for the show.

One idea was to start charging for the sketch cards, but I won't do that, unless it was like, a dollar a card. Even then, it kind of takes the fun out of FREE SKETCH CARDS!

Last edited by ALevine - Topps; 07-07-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #45
ChrisM

Those are all good points. I was on the line often, but only because there were different artists at different time/days and I wanted something by each artist. Those times when there was a "new" artist I was in line for, but another artist there, whose card I did get, I sometimes got another... however I still own EVERY card I had drawn for me. It's a moral thing for me.

I recall some guy who was the "big" GPK fan, and was always getting sketches done; I know I saw his sketch cards on eBay.

One thought, and this is most likely difficult, but Mezco is making 3 3/4" Mars Attacks figures. A NYCC exclusive with an exclusive trading card (or even a pre-packed sketch card) would be neat, and I think people would pay for that. They're local too.

Also to cut down on the bone-heads, you could punch a hole in the peoples pass (one hole/shaped hole per day or artist.
ChrisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #46
webjon

Quote:
One idea was to start charging for the sketch cards, but I won't do that, unless it was like, a dollar a card. Even then, it kind of takes the fun out of FREE SKETCH CARDS!
If I recall right back in the day Inkworks would give out tickets -- say at 10 AM -- for sketches at 2 PM, 1 ticket per person. I think that helped control the repeat 'customers.'

Wish we could see something like this in Chicago.
webjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #47
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
One thought, and this is most likely difficult, but Mezco is making 3 3/4" Mars Attacks figures. A NYCC exclusive with an exclusive trading card (or even a pre-packed sketch card) would be neat, and I think people would pay for that. They're local too.
That's a great idea (and one we talked about) but very complicated-- a lot of factors go into something when you're working with a third party, even a partner like Mezco. Being local really isn't an issue for a manufactured item like an action figure, which are produced in China, too.

We'll figure something out, i'm sure.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #48
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Blowout and other places have boxes listed at 64.95. Hopefully this eases concerns of a significant price jump from Heritage!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #49
patzee

Quote:
Blowout and other places have boxes listed at 64.95. Hopefully this eases concerns of a significant price jump from Heritage!

pre-order case price is hovering around $499.95 about $165-$180 more per case more than Heritage.
patzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #50
MarsAttacks

Quote:
Heritage cases were and are at $350 and presell cases here are at $500 so I'd call that increase significant. While this new product appears to have different hits, I am certainly going to be very wary of ordering a more expensive product considering the two cases I opened of Heritage were honestly crap. I still feel burned. I bought all my sketches and other hits on the secondary market and built a far better collection that way.
MarsAttacks is online now   Reply With Quote