Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 100

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
cndbbfan

Default 150000 cards, WOW!

Watching an old episode of auction kings, and I got a kick out of a guy that was selling 150000 or more cards. Some peeps here might have seen it (it's on you tube) Apparently he said there was cards from the 60's on up.
Now I am thinking junk wax era, it is quite common for somebody to have that many cards.
Now with this auction it sold for $700, I am thinking that is a really great deal, maybe not so much it if it's all 1989 topps bb, 1991-92 pro set hockey etc..., but this guy said he didn't know what was in there and there was cards from the 60's on up, from the sounds of that guys selling them, he didn't "Cherry pick" The cards.

Personally, my collection is about 15000 or so cards, and I think that is alot. Mind you 80 percent of what I have is junk era cards (80's, 90's)

Anybody here have large collections 100000+ or more, I read somebody had something like a half a million cards.

I guess some people have quality over quantity, like maybe complete sets of baseball 1957 and 1968 topps, OPC hockey 71-72, rookie cards of R.Jackson, M.Jordan, W.Gretzky. Not a lot in numbers, but a good quality collection.

I am thinking about maybe dumping my junk era, and focusing on "good" cards.
I imagine there is people here that have done that LOL.

It is really too bad, the amount of money some teenagers spent in the 80's and 90's on wax boxes and packs, and look at what those cards are worth now, sometimes, depending what they are, they are difficult to "give away"
cndbbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
jubjub47

The more people junk their junk era stuff the more value it gains. There is going to be a point where it becomes valuable again.
jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
TheHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
The more people junk their junk era stuff the more value it gains. There is going to be a point where it becomes valuable again.
I hear ya but is it worth it to sit on until they become valuable?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
thebrett

I just completed a project where I converted 120,000 cards (mostly 86-92 junk) into around 12,000. What I did was go thru each box and save every KC Royal, all of the rookies of guys worth noting, any cards with sentimental value from my younger collecting days ('86 Topps Doug Decinces that is the 1st card I ever remember opening from a pack) and anything odd ball.

The next step will be to get everything of note sorted, added to Photobucket and stored the way I like.

My ultimate goal is to have a bulk Royals section of my closet (5,000ct jumbo boxes) 1 5,000ct box of misc junk era, some sets that have significance and my PC.

My PC's are sleeved, cased, team bagged, scanned to PB and placed in Super Shoes. I have more than I would like currently, but I'm transitioning out.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Lopez11Cards
Banned

id say i have close to 8,000 cards and 7,500 are base/inserts. its the 500 that counts tho
Lopez11Cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Cactuspies

I "sold" 6 or 7 5000 count boxes to a flea market buddy or $5/box a few years back. it was basically all 1980's to early 90's stuff. he was going to do those little brown bags or whatever for kids to buy for $1 placing one good card on top and back. most of that stuff from back in the day is kindling. heck I just got some 1994 Flair series 2 from here for a promo and the SRP is $4.99 a pack! 19 years later they are now about 1.25 a pack (Arod Rookies in there boosting it up.) I now have 4 boxes worth of cool looking cards, but no one wants them. Sad thing is I currently have 3 5k boxes, 2 3k boxes and a few other random rubermaid tubs and other small boxes loaded w/cards.
if you can find the threads here, a few guys took pictures of where they store their cards. some look like warehouses!
Patriots 6 time Champs
catching up to johnmabry47: are you on my ignore list too? 76 and counting
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
oldgoldy97

As I sit and write this, I am surrounded by 50 5000 count boxes. And I have smaller boxes that could probably fill another 7-8. I also have a reasonably decent high quality collection, too.

I'd love to figure out how to get rid of almost all of the 5000 counts without having to throw them away or basically donate them. I know if I spent the time to dig through all of them that you would find cards worth much more than $5. Heck, the other day I found a Trout Topps Update RC sitting loose in one of them.

The best part of visiting Wisconsin? Leaving.
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
dthimesch

Quote:
Lol. Sorry man but this deserves the:

Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
obenheimer

I know I started collecting in 1989 and at one point I had over 250,000 total cards. I have binders of sets from all sports and 5000 count boxes galore. When my mom decided to sell her house, I ended up just throwing most all of the sets and junk cards in a dumpster. I just didn't want to deal with trying to find someone to take them all, because I knew they were cheap.
obenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
Moyni

I easily have over 100,000 cards. I remember throwing away about 5 5000 ct boxes of 88 and 89 Topps a few years back just to clear space.

You Tube Channel: Baseball Collector
Moyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
jubjub47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
Lol. Sorry man but this deserves the:

I know it sounds stupid now, and it would be a long wait to achieve a decent value. Look at the prices of vintage checklists that were marked and trashed. History will eventually repeat itself with the junk era.
jubjub47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
85GoCards

I'd guess I have at least 15,000-20,000 "junk" cards from the early 90's. I haven't looked through them in at least 15 years.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
jimssouvenirs

Quote:
I keep hearing people say this. Have been since it became "junk". And because a ton of people actually BELIEVE it, they keep holding onto the cards. Pretty hilarious.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
hmmdecloth

Quote:
Topps is still printing 88 & 89 cards.
hmmdecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #15
cndbbfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
if you can find the threads here, a few guys took pictures of where they store their cards. some look like warehouses!

Hehe, now that I see your message, I'm going to look for that.

Also, to add to the thread, I really don't think the 80's and 90's will ever be valuable again, people are saying when collectors throw them out, etc. but, in all honesty there is some people that just won't throw them out, plus I've heard that there is still millions of upopened product from that era. There is SO MUCH of this stuff in peoples basement IMO.

For those that didn't collect from 87-93 or so, it was ridiculous, sports cards everywhere, I could understand the MAJOR overproduction!
cndbbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
1989FF

True there is a ton of unopened still out there. The ratio of what's avail. vs. what gets lost to natural disaster/trash etc is so different that I dont see them becoming valuable in our lifetime. Maybe when one of my sons is near retirement they will become valuable. I used to think that when alot of the "junk era" generation dies off, many cards will get tossed. But now due to TV and interent, everyones a expert or collector or have the knowledge at their fingertips so I assume alot less will get tossed that would have otherwise.

I collected from '87 on and remember buying '90 D boxes for $14 at Costco and it seemed like a deal. Unsure how well known Costco is, but it's a huge bulk warehouse. In hindsight, a pallet of boxes or seeing packs at every convenience store should have got the gears turning that there was alot made but being around 15 all I could think was "Wow I'd love to have all those boxes!" Wish I had taken a pic. of those Costco pallets. Pretty neat sight for me as a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndbbfan View Post
Hehe, now that I see your message, I'm going to look for that.

Also, to add to the thread, I really don't think the 80's and 90's will ever be valuable again, people are saying when collectors throw them out, etc. but, in all honesty there is some people that just won't throw them out, plus I've heard that there is still millions of upopened product from that era. There is SO MUCH of this stuff in peoples basement IMO.

For those that didn't collect from 87-93 or so, it was ridiculous, sports cards everywhere, I could understand the MAJOR overproduction!
1989FF is offline   Reply With Quote