Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GAMING

Notices

GAMING Post Your Gaming Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #26
longisland

Good luck tonight comrades!
Old 07-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #27
swowannabe

Played in 2 prereleases yesterday. Typing from my phone, so please forgive any missed typos!

At noon my buddy opens a Bolas and Locus God, the two cards I wanted. Ugh. My pool isn't bad, Rhonas's Last Stand turned out to be a great turn 2 or 3 play. I got some just dumb draws with hooded brawler and gust walker, and jammed as many untap combat tricks I could get. Went 2-1-1, drawing final round to have time to eat. My opponent final round had a foil Rhonas, foil Torment of Hailfire, and a Razzkath or whatever that stupid demons name is. I probably would have lost.

At 6 the tables turned and I opened Samut PW, Vizzier of the Menagerie, and Uncage the Menagerie. Had decent removal in red and a good curve between green/red I went for it. Resilient Khenra and Mouth//Feed were the other two rares I included. I had really good removal in white and black too, I could have made two decks. Went 2-1-1 again because the new gods are just that good if your opponent untaps with them. Got a bonus pack for no apparent reason, so give prize packs. Nothing earth shattering in the prize packs, except for this...

Keep your fancy gods and dragons that kill everything with a flex of a finger. I'm good with this.

Also, Chandra's Defeat is whatever is above an A+ for sideboard cards. I had two in my second pool and just smiled when I saw my opponents play a mountain game 1.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #28
longisland

I opened a Bolas, Lily, and Samut in the same pre-release.

Screw you Scarab God for ruining my night!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #29
swowannabe

Holy jeebus, three planeswalkers!? That's... Absurd. I mean, Samut - 7 to fetch Bolas and Lilli, GG... But.... Dayum. I guess I had 3 mythics, so it isn't unheard of... But wow. Yes, the scarab god is beyond good.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #30
mcguirem13

Wow sounds like you guys got some great pulls and had a lot of fun! My pulls in my pre-release packs weren't anything too special but I managed to go 2-0-2 at the midnight release and got 4 prize packs. I also play 2 two headed giant tournaments which is my favorite format. In the first 2 HG tournament my partner and I went 4-0 and won the tournament thanks to Torment of Hailfire which we cast for X=4 every game. That card is busted in 2 HG. I ended up pulling a Bolas and Scorpion God in my prize packs! The other 2 HG tournament didn't go so well. We went 1-2 thanks to a round 3 bye.. But we did get one prize pack which netted me a Locust God! I had a blast this weekend but man does it hurt to pull deserts as my promo card in 2/3 pre-release packs. I wish they didn't put so many crappy deserts in the rare slot for this set.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #31
Pot Roast

My lackluster strek continues for prereleases.
I went 2-2 first prerelease winning my first two games and losing my second two games.
Didn't pull anything really exciting, but the pirze packs netted me a thoughtsize and Samut, so pretty happy with that.

Prerelease number 2:
Djerux2 Had four total white creatures in the pool. Jundbeatstick.deck got me to a 3-1. That mythic Chymera is great with all the bears with keywords in this set, though it doesn't get afflict which is weird.

Prize packs: meh.

2HG: My teammate opened strong black and green as did I, but we lacked a serious bomb besides mirage mirror(which we never saw.). We ended up going 2-2 and both losses were close, we were pleased considering how one game he drew 14/16 lands, and one game i drew my 4th on t9. We got two packs again nothing great. But getting a mirage mirror made it worth my time. I think that card is going to be stupid expensive in the future.

Had a blast playing magic, and cannot wait to see the pro tour and hope to see some awesome lists.
Shane Ray Prizm 1/1, Demaryius Thomas 2015 prizm /10
Pot Roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #32
swowannabe

Wait, so you also opened a thoughtsieze invocation? Hot DAWG dude, I don't even want to think of the odds of two Blowout members pulling the thoughtsieze invocation from prize packs during HOU pre-release. Astronomical.

Pre-releases are just so much fun. Except those effing gods and that stupid demon. Just... they're godly. Straight up godly (in Limited).
Old 07-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #33
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swowannabe View Post
Wait, so you also opened a thoughtsieze invocation? Hot DAWG dude, I don't even want to think of the odds of two Blowout members pulling the thoughtsieze invocation from prize packs during HOU pre-release. Astronomical.

Pre-releases are just so much fun. Except those effing gods and that stupid demon. Just... they're godly. Straight up godly (in Limited).
Yeah the Thoughtsieze definitely saved my breaks, I'm not really as high on this set for draft but I'm excited for new blood in draft this weekend. Hoping to finally snag my first god from the set!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #34
swowannabe

I think it'll be fine for drafting. It should be slightly less aggressive so red isn't auto win.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:44 PM   #35
Cujobyte

Hit a Desolation Angel in a Russian box, pretty happy with the box as I'm an EDH player for the most part but slowly getting into standard. Good luck all busting!
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #36
Pot Roast

Quote:
I think it'll be fine for drafting. It should be slightly less aggressive so red isn't auto win.
Izzet machine gun is a thing. I got 4 fireband archers and machine gun'd my way to 2-1 losing to only the person who got first and that's because he got to drop his demon and I didn't have anything big enough to deal with it. Only dropped two games. Feels good to unsommon a creature and have the person take 4.

I could have gotten five but I thought it would be too many, but nah. If i see red/blue spells open I'll rock it everytime, you can just blow people up.

This set is more fun to draft then I originally thought.lol
Old 07-15-2017, 06:49 PM   #37
swowannabe

I've been toying with a Boros variation of the "Budget Mono-red aggro" netdeck in Standard. I realized that Adorned Pouncer as a 1/1 double striker for W is potentially very solid. It could very easily attack T2 for 8 or even more if it isn't blocked (I don't know how common 1 drops are in standard, my guess is not very). Combo with some Pathmaker Initiate, combat tricks and other great things to jam damage in fast, I feel like it could have potential!

But probably not, because I don't actually understand the meta. Oh well. I might try and build it depending on the price tag and try and play in Game Day. But probably not, because I think Game Day is like the 5th or 6th of August, which is the day before Part 1 of the ABR Board Exam for me. Yuck.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #38
Pot Roast

Quote:
I've been toying with a Boros variation of the "Budget Mono-red aggro" netdeck in Standard. I realized that Adorned Pouncer as a 1/1 double striker for W is potentially very solid. It could very easily attack T2 for 8 or even more if it isn't blocked (I don't know how common 1 drops are in standard, my guess is not very). Combo with some Pathmaker Initiate, combat tricks and other great things to jam damage in fast, I feel like it could have potential!

But probably not, because I don't actually understand the meta. Oh well. I might try and build it depending on the price tag and try and play in Game Day. But probably not, because I think Game Day is like the 5th or 6th of August, which is the day before Part 1 of the ABR Board Exam for me. Yuck.
full-out aggro is having a hard time now there's 795959550550050 different sweepers in the format. Not impossible but without ways to get your creatures back from the g/y your at the mercy of your opponent drawing.

I'm going to GP Minneapolis with some friends, curious to see what the pros break in standard.