Blowout Cards Forums
Hot List

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
hockeyjunkie99

Question Best Credit Card to Apply for right now????

I know its going to be hard because of the economy today. What do you guys think the best Credit Card to apply for is. "None" is not the answer I'm looking for......lol

I've got pretty good credit. I think its above the average credit score in the nation and it keeps going up every month. I would like to apply for one credit card and go from there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

checkoutmycards.com/Users/hockeyjunkie99
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

this is going to be good. im going to bookmark this thread and check it out again in 6 months.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
156neon

none,pay Cash!!!!!! Credit Cards Are The Route To All Evil!!!!!
156neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
hockeyjunkie99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
this is going to be good. im going to bookmark this thread and check it out again in 6 months.
I don't want your advice!!!!.....lol I don't plan on Bohica'ing like you did...............

Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Texansfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156neon View Post
none,pay Cash!!!!!! Credit Cards Are The Route To All Evil!!!!!
Although this is true.....lol
My opinion is Capitol One. From what my dad says, they only except high credit scores, and offer all kinds of reward options. They also dont have an annual fee if you qualify.
Me....huh, still paying off my old ones.....
Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
vortekv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie99 View Post
I know its going to be hard because of the economy today. What do you guys think the best Credit Card to apply for is. "None" is not the answer I'm looking for......lol

I've got pretty good credit. I think its above the average credit score in the nation and it keeps going up every month. I would like to apply for one credit card and go from there.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Nick, first you did answer your own question in the first part of your statement. Next, never have "and go from there" in your mind when it comes to credit cards. It just leads to more and more.

Anyway, I would stay away from Citi. They just raised their APR on all cards because they are in so much trouble right now. Bank of America treats me really well and you also can sign up for their "rewards" benefits which can get you some really nice items (I turned some of my points into an auto of Jack Nicklaus and an auto of Davis Love III which was cool).

Always Looking For Zetterberg Patch Autos
vortekv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
deboesports

Send a message via Yahoo to deboesports

go to walmart.....buy a cash card.....put all your money on that card.....and make yourself think its a credit card, just one you dont got to pay back lol
Old 02-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
marino5084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan View Post
Although this is true.....lol
My opinion is Capitol One. From what my dad says, they only except high credit scores, and offer all kinds of reward options. They also dont have an annual fee if you qualify.
Me....huh, still paying off my old ones.....
Capital One and Chase are both good cards. I don't pay annual fees on either. Rewards are great. Customer service from Chase is better. I have personal and Buisness accounts with both. I actually prefer Chase. Stay away from Citi.
marino5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
fm8418

Send a message via AIM to fm8418

I like my citi card, dislike my chase.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #10
mwheeler27

American Express is my card of choice. It has a great rewards program, (not unlike many others though), and you have to pay it off every month. The one you should get anyway. I do have Chase, Citibank, Discover, and Capital One as well as I like to play them against each other every now and then and get "free" credit each time.

Don't listen to anyone here tell you that you shouldn't get a credit card. There's no better way to build your credit, and credit is a very good thing when used responsibly. When you get a credit card, make yourself pay it off every month. THIS IS A MUST! Every 3-6 months, ask for a credit line increase. After a while, apply for another card and repeat.

ABOVE ALL...Pay them off every month, and you will have perfect credit! I'm talking about the kind of credit where you can borrow money for 6-12 months for FREE! The kind of credit where credit card companies give you lines of credit at 1.9% until your balance is paid off in full, and so on.

Trust me, being responsible can take you a long way.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Quote:
I don't want your advice!!!!.....lol I don't plan on Bohica'ing like you did...............
ok. dont take my advice... let us know how this works out for you in 9 months.

bet you 20 bucks you'll be within 500 bucks of your max line in 9 months.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
keggobelly

HJ if you are a member of a Credit Union try them first. My CU has great rates for members and no rate increases for late payments until its 60 days late. Discover will jack your rates up if its 24hrs late. Just follow MWheeler's advice and pay 'em off ASAP

RIP PAPAJIM
keggobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #13
Highcheese4U

I have USAA and my local FCU, both cannot go wrong even in these times..but if you cannot afford to buy with cash then you probably shouldnt be having a CC in the first place!

Last edited by Highcheese4U; 02-19-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:59 AM   #14
anusinha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
American Express is my card of choice. It has a great rewards program, (not unlike many others though), and you have to pay it off every month. The one you should get anyway. I do have Chase, Citibank, Discover, and Capital One as well as I like to play them against each other every now and then and get "free" credit each time.

Don't listen to anyone here tell you that you shouldn't get a credit card. There's no better way to build your credit, and credit is a very good thing when used responsibly. When you get a credit card, make yourself pay it off every month. THIS IS A MUST! Every 3-6 months, ask for a credit line increase. After a while, apply for another card and repeat.

ABOVE ALL...Pay them off every month, and you will have perfect credit! I'm talking about the kind of credit where you can borrow money for 6-12 months for FREE! The kind of credit where credit card companies give you lines of credit at 1.9% until your balance is paid off in full, and so on.

Trust me, being responsible can take you a long way.

This is the best advice, but treat your CC like cash, only buy what you can afford to pay off at the end of each month. If you start paying interest, then youre doing it wrong.
anusinha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

actually there is a flaw in wheelers post. If you have to much revolving credit it can actually hurt you.

But nick it really depends on why you want one. If its to boose your credit score I would personally say don't do it. But in that same breath as long as you pay it off find one that has what your want (online banking, rewards, low APR, etc). There used to be a really good website for this. Best card I had was 2+ years ago. I got 2% back on all purchases, cash, which was credited towards my bill every month. My guess is its very similar to paypals credit card. I've got just about every one you can imagine. Citibank has been very good to me, but I think Discover was the best. I liked their online programs, but they are a bear to work with (I tried to get my APR lowered after I missed a payment by a day or two and they wouldnt work with me, so I canceled the card). I like my Cabelas Card for its reward program, but they've changed the offers you use to get (they'd hold 2-4 members weekends every year and I'd get 40 bucks free just for driving the 2+ hours to go down....sign a buddy up get another 40..this adds up quick, one weekend I had 200 in free money to spend down there...granted before it was all said and done I dropped 1000+ so they still made money, but I left with a truck full of goodies Hard to beat cash rewards though. Spends anywhere.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #16
Boo

I like my Citi Card...great rewards program. My wife and I put everything on the CC to get points. In the last 3 years we've gotten gift cards to buy...our digital camera, dvd camcorder, refrigerator and all of our Christmas presents. The thing is though...WE PAY OUR BALANCE EACH AND EVERY MONTH!!!!!!!!!! If you can't pay your balance each month, don't get one.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #17
jbellis74

Send a message via AIM to jbellis74

Nobody mentioned Discover yet.....strange....

I have two credit cards one from Discover and one from Citi. The Discover card gives me miles towards airfare and the citi card was 0% interest for 12 months.. Even with excellent credit I can't get another card that is 12 months 0%, I can only seem to find 6 months but thats mainly because of the economy.

I wouldnt go with American Express as most of their cards come with an annual fee unless you get the blue card.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #18
hockeyjunkie99

Default Thank you all for all of you advice

I've decided to wait until September before I choose to do anything. I may be unemployed by the end of September. Depending on "Budget Cuts" in our County.

If I still have my Job after September, I will probably buy a house in December if all goes well. I'm planning on saving alot(for me) of money from the end of April trough the end of September(to have $$$$ security if I do get layed off).

Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
thekramers5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
actually there is a flaw in wheelers post. If you have to much revolving credit it can actually hurt you.
Actually, Wheeler was correct. "Having" too much revolving credit doesn't hurt you, "using" too much revolving credit hurts you.

When deriving credit scores, unused credit simply shows that you have available credit that you are not using - this doesn't scare the credit agencies and financial companies. In layman's terms...shows responsibility.

On the other hand, having much less revolving credit, but actually "using" most of it in terms of balances - red flag, especially in today's economy. Most cc companies are currently lowering their credit lines based on aggressive review of credit scores combined with the economy. For example, if you have multiple cards and you've used most of your credit cards' available balances...have a credit line of $20,000 and a balance of $16,000 ... don't be surprised to see your credit line dropped to $18k or $17k (depending on the company, of course).

Just an FYI...
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #20
FINS4LIFE

If you do deside to get a cc. keep it at a certain limit. If they raise your line of credit. call them and ask them to lower it back to the original line. Take it from someone that has 2 of them for along time. They easily rack up quickly. Especially when you need a quick fix at your LCS. Or anywere for that inpulse buy. I have been on a mission to pay them off and get rid of all but one. It will come in handy for emergences. But controll Grasshopper is a very hard thing. I think everyone who has them would agree with me.
FINS4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
jacobbigshow

HJ I would suggest Chase Freedom. I get 1% on all purchases and 1.5% on gas stations and I think 3% on certain stores. Just pay off the entire balance every month, those credit card rates stink.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #22
frozenntimesports
Inactive Account

Quote:
I've decided to wait until September before I choose to do anything. I may be unemployed by the end of September. Depending on "Budget Cuts" in our County.

If I still have my Job after September, I will probably buy a house in December if all goes well. I'm planning on saving alot(for me) of money from the end of April trough the end of September(to have $$$$ security if I do get layed off).
After 5815 posts, finally some intelligence.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
hockeyjunkie99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Thank you Kimosabee

Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #24
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Come on Fish, my posts never have flaws in them. Well...um...never mind.

In this case however, there is no flaw in what I said, and I'm speaking from experience, so I know what I'm talking about.

I think what you're referring to is "using" too much revolving credit. The number 2 rule, (the one immediately following paying off your card entirely each month), is to never carry more than half your available credit on any card. Keeping a balance that's less than half of your available balance shows responsibility that's rare these days. Very few people do it, and credit card companies, will reward you handsomely as all 3 credit rating companies will give you a high credit score.

Again, I'm speaking from experience. I currently have exactly 119,000 in available credit spread over only 5 credit cards, AND this does not count my American Express which allows me to spend in excess of $100,000 per billing cycle as I have done a few times. If I wanted to leave the country, I could go on one heck of a spending spree first because I followed the very advice I'm giving you here.

Trust me, follow what I have laid out for you, and you will have credit card companies sending you extremely low interest to "free money" offers each and every month. Everyone should be doing it.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #25
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
geezus christ 5815 posts? LOL