Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 100

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 01-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #126
daviswr7

What about this "made to order" statement. I thought that was interesting. No excess will be made?
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #127
Dewman

Aren't all Star Wars releases kind of like that? They are just publicizing it to create some buzz and generate more pre-orders?
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #128
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
What about this "made to order" statement. I thought that was interesting. No excess will be made?
Ehh I find that hard to believe, because day they have a ton of high name autos of this and a bunch of scrubs and more than enough to fill 2 hits/box, do they hold hits back or load the boxes up?

However isn't that what happened with galaxy a few times? That was before I started collecting.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #129
Dewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113877 View Post
Agreed. I suggested to them on that conference call last month that they take this approach. Make the second hit spot not a guaranteed manufactured hit but possibly a mix of everything available.

Way less frustrating opening a case this way.
Yeah. Odds are you will still get mostly, if not all, medallions, but at least there is a chance to get an extra value hit or two.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #130
daviswr7

Honestly I just kind of yawn and move on when looking at solicitation for upcoming products. But the wordage was just out of the ordinary. I guess Topps is trying to be more upfront about expectations. Well see.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #131
PoPCulture

Honestly, what I took from the print to order comment was Topps basically saying that when the order deadline hit last week they were not happy with the order qty coming in (after so many poor releases in a row) so they re-opened ordering for one more week and made a comment to generate buzz. I could be wrong but that was my thought when I received the e-mail.
PoPCulture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Honestly, what I took from the print to order comment was Topps basically saying that when the order deadline hit last week they were not happy with the order qty coming in (after so many poor releases in a row) so they re-opened ordering for one more week and made a comment to generate buzz. I could be wrong but that was my thought when I received the e-mail.
Hopefully that's the case. Better for collectors with the lower amount made.
113877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #133
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post

Or is it a lie to drum up sales by people thinking one case now will yield better hits since easier odds if truly print to order? I find it very hard to believe.

Id rather have set print runs like the widevision sets, you get an auto and sketch and full base set.

The inserts lately have been very lackluster, Rogue One used the same heroes and villains template that has been used twice before, but at least the other inserts were cool new art in rogue one. Or do like widevision and include a few inserts where you'd need to buy a case to make the full set, or something like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #134
aggie4ever

The "made to order" statement doesn't mean a whole lot, since distributors will typically put in plenty of orders, so I would never expect another situation like Galaxy 6. So the only difference it will make, is the difference between like 1000 cases if pre-orders are low, and like 1500 cases if pre-orders are high. But we really need Topps to set production at around 500-700 cases and allocate them to make a real difference nowadays, since there are so many sets per year.

Obviously still better if there are 1000 cases versus 1500 cases, since that will mean a chance at an extra hit or two per case, and better odds on numbered stuff.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #135
richo

I imagine it's just to try to drum up preorders.

On another note, my assumption here is that the signers will be ANH only. I don't see Daisy, Driver, Serkis etc in this one, much as I would love them to be. Would be great if there were a Ltd amount of big names from other future films, especially wth the base covers the entire films. Thoughts?
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 AM   #136
gerry609

.......but doesn't this also mean if 2000 cases are ordered, that's what will be produced?
gerry609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #137
richo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry609 View Post
.......but doesn't this also mean if 2000 cases are ordered, that's what will be produced?
Is it really that different from now? I just assumed print run is always roughly based on distributor orders, not retail and customer orders. Hopefully though second hits are now not always medallions without fail, it makes box breaking rather boring when that's the case. If they are changing that recent trend, then that's a positive.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #138
daviswr7

This product needs some cut autographs.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #139
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
This product needs some cut autographs.
I'd support this^
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #140
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
I read on facebook that it seems the sketches might be originals and no duplicates but only from A New Hope,
I saw an artist posting on FB yesterday and he said this same thing. Not sure how I feel about the limitation to only A New Hope, but any step away from the assembly line of dupe sketches is a step in the right direction.

Keep hope alive!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #141
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Ehh I find that hard to believe, because day they have a ton of high name autos of this and a bunch of scrubs and more than enough to fill 2 hits/box, do they hold hits back or load the boxes up?

However isn't that what happened with galaxy a few times? That was before I started collecting.
Yes, Galaxy was the series where preorders soared up and crashed down, creating a rollercoaster of dry product (5 and 7) and loaded boxes (6)

I cannot imagine with what we've said on this thread, and what we know to be true about the fanbase, that 40th Anniversary will be under-produced in any way. 30,000 boxes here we come (and I'm still going to buy at least one case)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #142
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
I saw an artist posting on FB yesterday and he said this same thing. Not sure how I feel about the limitation to only A New Hope, but any step away from the assembly line of dupe sketches is a step in the right direction.

Keep hope alive!

Also good to have a focused set. Mission briefing seemed like such a cop out using movies past a new hope and now with rebels adding so much more backstory mission briefing would've been better off a year or two from now, but obviously it needed to be out before rogue one dropped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #143
HiltonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Also good to have a focused set. Mission briefing seemed like such a cop out using movies past a new hope and now with rebels adding so much more backstory mission briefing would've been better off a year or two from now, but obviously it needed to be out before rogue one dropped.
Journey was cool because they used the 1977 graphic design style, yet maddening because virtually no TFA images were allowed.

I totally swore off Mission Briefing because having experienced the TFA series, I knew that without the nostalgic feeling of the Journey graphic design, I wouldn't care for it.
I am enjoying the Series One base card design - it is very much in the style of Topps' movie property sets (e.g. Terminator, Indiana Jones, etc) I have the same gripes as most though with the missing numbering, lack of substantial text on the backs, and the just-a-different-color parallels.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #144
joudenjouden

Default First Buzz: 2017 Topps Star Wars 40th Anniversary trading cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
I'd support this^
As of a couple months ago, Lucasfilm/Disney had not allowed Topps to do cut autos. That's why there were none in MW2...

I doubt that has changed, thought it makes no sense. I'll ask Mark on twitter though
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #145
MisterX

Am I the only one who thinks the new auto design looks horrendous?
MisterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #146
tier1dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterX View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the new auto design looks horrendous?
no,

it's really telling that they chose to make an arched box to house the square auto sticker. Guessing we see a lot of overlapping and sloppy applications one auto cards.
tier1dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #147
Cujobyte

The auto design is OK.

I'm not preordering any, they'll be a billion preorders most likely and prices will fall despite it possibly being the best auto list of any SW set.

IF you guys don't order a billion cases, and they just do 600-800 cases, it'll be a HUGE hit. But this prolly won't happen.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #148
richo

I strongly suspect a big case run. I am interested to know if the auto line up will be just ANH, as per the anniversary, or will it be wider, like the base set will be. I suspect just ANH based on what they have shown.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:18 AM   #149
jamesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
I strongly suspect a big case run. I am interested to know if the auto line up will be just ANH, as per the anniversary, or will it be wider, like the base set will be. I suspect just ANH based on what they have shown.
Sketches are restricted to ANH only, so I'd suspect the same for autos. Here's hoping they can sneak a few gems in there ... I know a John Williams auto would be a huge hit.
jamesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #150
Ferg1945

40th is starting to heat up.

Monday.... $615

Wednesday... $675

Friday... $750

Still roughly 2 months from release. ( May 3rd )
Ferg1945 is offline   Reply With Quote