Blowout Cards Forums
NFL Draft

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

Notices

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
dbhoops5002

Default How to get started

After reading many success stories, I think this would be awesome to do. However, I have no idea where to begin. What do i send? Does it have to be a card? Do I send a sharpe or pen? I am really interested in HOF baseball players who I have met. i.e. Bob Feller, Gaylord Perry, Ryne Sandberg, Fergie Jenkins, etc. I also do custom mcfarlanes and I think a signature would look great with some of my pieces. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
dbhoops5002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
iuhoosierbb

You do not have to send cards. Many people send pictures or baseballs to get signed as well. Magazines are also popular. You can send to whoever you like, I would just be aware that the HOFers you mention typically want a donation if they sign. Especially baseball HOFers. Of the players you mentioned writing to, I think you might have a chance at Sandberg, although I have heard that those sending a $20 donation to "Ryno Kid Care" have been having success. I think Feller wants a $10 donation, Gaylord Perry $15 for flats and $25 for balls, and I think Fergie Jenkins is $20. Make sure you include a SASE with whatever you send. Sending a sharpie or pen is up to you...I rarely do this, but some do. Good luck!!
iuhoosierbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
dbhoops5002

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhoosierbb View Post
You do not have to send cards. Many people send pictures or baseballs to get signed as well. Magazines are also popular. You can send to whoever you like, I would just be aware that the HOFers you mention typically want a donation if they sign. Especially baseball HOFers. Of the players you mentioned writing to, I think you might have a chance at Sandberg, although I have heard that those sending a $20 donation to "Ryno Kid Care" have been having success. I think Feller wants a $10 donation, Gaylord Perry $15 for flats and $25 for balls, and I think Fergie Jenkins is $20. Make sure you include a SASE with whatever you send. Sending a sharpie or pen is up to you...I rarely do this, but some do. Good luck!!
Great. After looking at the success with picture, where do I get them, and do you ship them in a manila envelope?With a sase inside?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks
dbhoops5002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
danmecum51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhoops5002 View Post
Great. After looking at the success with picture, where do I get them, and do you ship them in a manila envelope?With a sase inside?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks
no, its a little confusing and all the guys want to help because we love hearing and finding out who signs.

If you are going to send a pic, you will obviously have to either print out the pic, have it printed from a store (watch out for copyright issues) or buy them on ebay. Then send the photo with your SASE in a nice envelope. Also, with the photos I would ask them to personalize it, as some stars dont want people to turn them for a profit. If it is personalized, they know its going to you. I would always suggest writing a nice handwritten letter with all photo requests, card requests could be typed, you will always have better luck wiht a handwritten letter. With photos, include a sharpie for them to sign with. Silver sharpie on Black and white photos looks amazing! Black is generally going to show up good.

any other questions, ask away.

For addresses, I cant stress to you how easy Startiger.com is to use and how much it has helped me!!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Jacquo1972
Banned

I have only been doing TTM autos for about six weeks, and the one thing that's helped me out the most is Startiger.com. Joining the site will save you time, postage, and cards/photos. You can input the individuals you're interested in and see what other peoples responses were. You'll find out who you have a chance with, what fees may involved, and who is a longshot. The site is also a good way to track what you've sent and what you've received back.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. It seems like folks on the TTM board are happy to help. Good luck.

Last edited by Jacquo1972; 03-25-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Jacquo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
JohnfromtheBay

For return envelopes/SASE, do you guys typically use stamps (If so, how many stamps do you usually slap on ?)or do you just purchase the postage online via paypal ? I'm new to this and I'm not sure what route I should go when it comes to postage. I am probably going to start out by mailing out some 8x10 photos.
JohnfromtheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
iuhoosierbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnfromtheBay View Post
For return envelopes/SASE, do you guys typically use stamps (If so, how many stamps do you usually slap on ?)or do you just purchase the postage online via paypal ? I'm new to this and I'm not sure what route I should go when it comes to postage. I am probably going to start out by mailing out some 8x10 photos.
For regular envelopes with 2-3 cards being returned I just put a regular stamp on. For the large manilla envelopes with 1-2 8x10 photos and a really thin piece of cardboard for support, postage for me is $1.05...the same as it costs to send. I bought a bunch of .17 cent stamps to go with 2 regulars and wahlahh! Good luck!
iuhoosierbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #8
Jacquo1972
Banned

I'm relatively new to this too, so some of the others might have different opinions, but when I send cards, I don't send them in sleeves or toploaders. I just sandwich them between the letter and SASE and hope for the best. From my experience, the individual doesn't want to mess with getting the card out of some form of protection. I also didn't want a signed toploader back either. So far, my cards have came back fine. There may have been a corner dinged somewhere, but the signature is what's important to me, not the grade of the card.
Jacquo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
danmecum51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnfromtheBay View Post
I would take the envelope down to the post office and have them figure out the cost. I have seen some go as cheap as $1.05 and some up to $1.95. With the 8x10s dont skimp by with a cheap thin support thinking that you will save .54 cents postage. Include a nice thick cardboard support because you dont want a big crease in your photo you know... good luck!