Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping

Notices

Ebay/COMC/Online Selling/Shows/Paypal/Shipping Share online or show selling experiences. Ask questions about eBay, Paypal, COMC, shipping, etc...

Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #126
sportsheroes
Banned

i need 10 cards to finish my 2007 topps 52 gold refractor sets; rookie and veterans, one for the veterans, francisco cordero # 10, in the rookies # 6 jesus flores, 16 braun, 24 barker, 33 kuwata, 35 lincecum, ungraded, 36 saltalammachia, 67 morrow, 79 kendrick, 91 gallardo and 95 chamberlain, ungraded preferred, send asking price or will trade or sell anything on comc.com, thanks
sportsheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #127
sportsheroes
Banned

Default working the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
It worked for me...

Cards matching: Tim Lincecum - CheckOutMyCards.com

EDIT...

Ah... I see. The problem isn't doing a player search, the problem is clicking on their player link on the left side under "Matching Players". It seems like the graded cards disappear when you use their player links.
the intracacies of using the site, thanks for the idea of using the signature too. i still haven't figured out the image upload from comc.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #128
37Jetson

A port refers to the sellers entire group of cards. When someone encourages an offer on their port, they are looking to sell all of their cards at once.

The quickest way to view a full port is to go to put one of the seller's cards in your basket and go to Make an Offer and click on the Add all Cards from this seller button. You will see the total asking price for all of the cards and will be able to make an offer of up to 50% off.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsheroes View Post
and what exactly does port stand for the way its used here? make an offer on your port?
Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #129
sportsheroes
Banned

instant sell of entire collection, that's amazing, what a great feature i never even knew of. thanks.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #130
cardsrus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
It worked for me...

Cards matching: Tim Lincecum - CheckOutMyCards.com

EDIT...

Ah... I see. The problem isn't doing a player search, the problem is clicking on their player link on the left side under "Matching Players". It seems like the graded cards disappear when you use their player links.
And using the "Players" link at the top of the page, which is likely used the most for player searches. That is how I do my searches for individual players.

I get the feeling that Tim no longer reads this thread as he rarely logs in anymore, he has not posted in over a month.

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
I can always be contacted through AOL.com
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #131
sportsheroes
Banned

burnout, vacations, griping sellers like me, and its a whole new business without guidelines or a book on how procedures should be run. i just hope they are making money so we are all successful, i know september could not have been a great month for anyone. it feels like more of a national economy slowdown as nothing has changed on comc except better bulk shipping and a better discount box on the front page, so you can't say its the shipping cost or anything comc has done wrong, cards on ebay seem to be down and continuing the buyer's market theme, even strong cards seem to be down to 33 percent of book. of course on ebay shipping is always the problem, or waiting 7 to 10 days for the auction to end while the seller has wasted his b-i-n option with a well over the top price. maybe its all those unemployment checks running out or the unemployment rate taking away "discretionary income" from the hobby, but if anything it should just drive more people to comc eventually. another advantage to the lower cost of shipping is that comc screens cards for the most part by having everything sent to them so when i hear of a new buyer getting a ding on a newer card that concerns me because we don't want any negative experiences for buyers. this is not ebay.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #132
h4auto
Banned

I think buyers that take delivery is getting the short end of the stick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsheroes View Post
.......... another advantage to the lower cost of shipping is that comc screens cards for the most part by having everything sent to them so when i hear of a new buyer getting a ding on a newer card that concerns me because we don't want any negative experiences for buyers. this is not ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad68to96 View Post
I got my first order from COMC today. I ordered 3 low end McCutchen cards I needed. The shipping was fast and professional, but one fo the cards was pretty badly dinged. The bottom right corner is showing alot of white on a blue surface. I'm not trying to complain, it was only a $2-3 card. However, the photo did not show the degree of damage I received.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto
The "handling" is unknown. I also would like to know the storage policies. I think they might be storing the cards Unsleeved. I got my 450 cards 99% unsleeved and its just fine. But the chrome and refractors i got are SCRATCHED up. I didnt complain to Tim because i have no idea if the sellers are sending in unsellable cards to COMC or it all got damaged at COMC.
Some problems:
1- Have a patch card, the back had "writing indentations $20" I suspect the original seller sent this card in cause it is definitely not selling condition on Ebay or anywhere else. NOT COMC fault.

2- I bought some chromes (20-$40 bv range) which i cannot sell due to the scratches, Dont know if sellers sent it in or it was damaged during handling,shipping or ????? unknown cause.

Will just check out none glossy cards for now, Tim if your reading this, i would like to know how the cards are being handled(sleeved or non sleeved after scanning). I can see how some sellers might be sending unsellable cards to COMC and due to flipping and stuff can never trace the damage to the original seller. Food for thought.

Tim, if you are storing the Chrome cards UNSLEEVED, you gotta handle them a little better cause when packed tight with other unsleeved cards they get scratched up easy. Just some suggestions. It may seem like i am complaining, but to took over 1000 cards in had so far, so i only got like 10-15 cards that i see problems with(not that bad) but almost all the chrome type cards had pretty bad scratches, so i see a problem that a casual buyer might be turned off by one purchase and never come back.

Also Tim, remember that most the people here are "flippers"(nothing wrong) so they dont see the condition first hand after purchase. Eventually, if a card gets flipped 5 times,etc,etc.. and the final person takes physical delivery of the card in a condition not as scanned(like the previous post), that would be a turn off for first time buyers.

I am not complaining, i am giving suggestions to better your site(i really like the concept of COMC) from a "shipped" Buyer of cards.
h4auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #133
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
I think buyers that take delivery is getting the short end of the stick...
ugh, not another one of your uninformed rants, please.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #134
DaClyde

So what's the drill at COMC for cards that they don't already have checklists for? Do they build the checklist on the fly as people submit cards? Where do they get checklists for recent minor league sets or foreign issues...or unlicensed sets? Beckett doesn't cover any of those anymore.
DaClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #135
ohiomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
So what's the drill at COMC for cards that they don't already have checklists for? Do they build the checklist on the fly as people submit cards? Where do they get checklists for recent minor league sets or foreign issues...or unlicensed sets? Beckett doesn't cover any of those anymore.
For the most part, if its not recognized by Beckett, COMC will not process it. Beckett doesn't need to price it though, only have it be included in their database. For minor league team issue singles for example, COMC will list the book value as "N/A". If you are considering any sets that Beckett not only doesn't price but also don't even have them cataloged, I would e-mail or call COMC and see what they say before submitting.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #136
h4auto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradolson View Post
ugh, not another one of your uninformed rants, please.
I am just one person with this problem. I am sure other buyers that take cards in delivery have problems and dont post it. Its better Tim sees the problems early and correct them. I still buy cards on COMC, just not chrome type cards. Not fun taking delivery of $40-80 chrome refractors that are scratched up.

Did you take delivery of any chrome cards? Remember, i take delivery of 400+ at a time and they are packed tight with no sleeves.

AGAIN. COMC is a great concept. Hope COMC takes the "Constructive" criticism better then the sellers that only flip and never see the cards condition when they reach the buyers. I read some other posts complaining about cards being in LESS then good condition upon delivery. It is a problem.

No happy buyers = No happy sellers.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #137
cardsrus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4auto View Post
I am just one person with this problem. I am sure other buyers that take cards in delivery have problems and dont post it. Its better Tim sees the problems early and correct them. I still buy cards on COMC, just not chrome type cards. Not fun taking delivery of $40-80 chrome refractors that are scratched up.

Did you take delivery of any chrome cards? Remember, i take delivery of 400+ at a time and they are packed tight with no sleeves.

AGAIN. COMC is a great concept. Hope COMC takes the "Constructive" criticism better then the sellers that only flip and never see the cards condition when they reach the buyers. I read some other posts complaining about cards being in LESS then good condition upon delivery. It is a problem.

No happy buyers = No happy sellers.
I have come to the conclusion that they simply ignore problems and do not want to hear about them. All of the cards I dropped off at the National were late being uploaded. I have E-mailed them and tried to PM Tim through here. I have yet to get a response. I had similar problems with a bunch of errors that they refused to correct for two months. The last thing we need is for them to go the UD route with customer service, I would prefer the ITG route with E-mails answered within hours seven days a week.

Buying 2002-03 BAP Signature Series Short Print autos I need.
I can always be contacted through AOL.com
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #138
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
I would prefer the ITG route with E-mails answered within hours seven days a week.
Isn't ITG, (the parent company of Sportkings), a great company!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #139
Cactuspies

off the topic of comc's customer service and packing skills (sort of), I have been wondering if anyone here has gone the route of listing a card from their port on ebay or somewhere else for that matter (amazon, sportlots, etc) If so did it work out? Was the selling price better than what you were listing on comc? Was the shipping done in a timely manner and were there any complaints? I'm guessing that only high end cards would be worthwhile for listing somewhere else.
Patriots 6 time Champs
catching up to johnmabry47: are you on my ignore list too? 76 and counting
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #140
h4auto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
off the topic of comc's customer service and packing skills (sort of), I have been wondering if anyone here has gone the route of listing a card from their port on ebay or somewhere else for that matter (amazon, sportlots, etc) If so did it work out? Was the selling price better than what you were listing on comc? Was the shipping done in a timely manner and were there any complaints? I'm guessing that only high end cards would be worthwhile for listing somewhere else.
ebay and comc have good deals. But to list a card from your port and not knowing the exact condition is playing with fire. I have gotten cards from COMC delivered with "writing" indention,scratched up fronts,less then good condition etc. But same goes for cards on ebay.. But with ebay transactions you have the seller or post office to be suspects of damage. With Comc you dont know what person/persons/postal/storage/packing/original sender/scanner/etc/etc/etc.. etc.. that is responsible for the damage so i have no idea who to start with. But its is just part of the system, accept the 5% damage rate. But this is with cards booking under $300 most being $10-60 so it is semi a non-issue. If it was Jordan autos etc, i would be furious.

No perfect system. COMC and ebay are the best so far. both have pros and cons, but dont rely on any one as the sole supplier or outlet for you hobby. If ebay keeps on being crappy for sellers, then i would look else where for selling. If Comc becomes less favorable for buyers, then i would be looking else where for buying. Nothing is 100% perfect.

Last edited by h4auto; 10-06-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #141
DaClyde

Quote:
I sell on Sportlots and am using my September Sportlots income to pay the submission fees for a lot of 83 cards I just send into COMC. I do OK on Sportlots, but it's almost entirely low end stuff. I rarely manage to unload a card listed for more than $5, so I'm moving those over to COMC.

And with Sportlots, a problem I've had is that I travel a lot for work, and since I have to do all my own shipping and order processing at Sportlots, I have to put my inventory on hold for a week at a time whenever I leave. As a result, I'm not able to sell anything that month. That REALLY bites when I've added inventory for a set that has been newly added to the Sportlots database because all new sets with new listings get posted on their weekly "Latest Sets" page. I've had a case where I had several Japanese, minor league and oddball sets added to the system, only then to have to go on the road for 2 weeks and have to suspend my account. So now there are lots of sets getting more exposure, but all of my cards are now unavailable because I'm not home to ship them. Which means I make almost nothing that month after fees, due to extremely low order volume.

I'm hoping COMC can make up for that since my inventory can always be online. It's definitely not as timely as adding to Sportlots, but we'll see how the sales work out. As I've helped expand the capacity of Sportlots to accomodate Japanese sets, I'm hoping to help COMC do the same (since Beckett stopped including new Japanese sets as of about 2004).
Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #142
tedsports

I love the concept of COMC. It works out perfectly for me...but I think my usage is different than most COMC users.

I simply do not have time to do a lot of cards on ebay(only more expensive stuff when I have it).

COMC is great if you have the time to just sit back and let them do the work....and are not as concerned about how fast you get your money or your cards if purchasing. It has been great for me as I can send stuff in that has sat around for years and not have to lift a finger.

I currently have about 11,000 cards available for sale-Will soon have about 17,000 as I just sent in another 6000. After I make some more sales I will send in about another 5000 cards. My only "expense" is that I started by sending in, I believe, $150 for the first batch.

For the buying side of things- I have only bought and taken delivery of a few things, but I agree that the way things are stored, packed, and shipped are a concern.
tedsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #143
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsports View Post
I love the concept of COMC. It works out perfectly for me...but I think my usage is different than most COMC users.

I currently have about 11,000 cards available for sale-Will soon have about 17,000 as I just sent in another 6000. After I make some more sales I will send in about another 5000 cards. My only "expense" is that I started by sending in, I believe, $150 for the first batch.
Do you worry at all about the $170 per month it will cost you to have 17,000 cards listed on the site, or do you think your monthly sales will easily take care of this "storage" fee?
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #144
Cactuspies

I think I may have confused everyone here. I currently have nearly everything thing I own on COMC at this point (april 2008 was when I started). I use sportsbuy and amazon for the stuff that I don't send in to COMC, I am always happy when something moves from those places. My real question was, has anyone tried to sell one of their cards which is listed on COMC on one of the other sites out there. I'm sure that more exposure is good, but there seems to be a lot at risk, such as the card selling to someone else on COMC, the shipping take a long time, etc. Just tossing it out there. I have not seen many or any postings that have gone too deep into this method.
Patriots 6 time Champs
catching up to johnmabry47: are you on my ignore list too? 76 and counting
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #145
ohiomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
I sell on Sportlots and am using my September Sportlots income to pay the submission fees for a lot of 83 cards I just send into COMC. I do OK on Sportlots, but it's almost entirely low end stuff. I rarely manage to unload a card listed for more than $5, so I'm moving those over to COMC.

And with Sportlots, a problem I've had is that I travel a lot for work, and since I have to do all my own shipping and order processing at Sportlots, I have to put my inventory on hold for a week at a time whenever I leave. As a result, I'm not able to sell anything that month. That REALLY bites when I've added inventory for a set that has been newly added to the Sportlots database because all new sets with new listings get posted on their weekly "Latest Sets" page. I've had a case where I had several Japanese, minor league and oddball sets added to the system, only then to have to go on the road for 2 weeks and have to suspend my account. So now there are lots of sets getting more exposure, but all of my cards are now unavailable because I'm not home to ship them. Which means I make almost nothing that month after fees, due to extremely low order volume.

I'm hoping COMC can make up for that since my inventory can always be online. It's definitely not as timely as adding to Sportlots, but we'll see how the sales work out. As I've helped expand the capacity of Sportlots to accomodate Japanese sets, I'm hoping to help COMC do the same (since Beckett stopped including new Japanese sets as of about 2004).

That has been my basic philosophy over the past year on COMC and almost 2 years on Sportlots... put the low end / set builder stuff on sportlots and the mid-range / higher end stuff on COMC. The two sites work pretty well in covering what the other one lacks. The key to being successful on sportlots is having a TON of inventory, inventory that others don't have, and lots of time to process the daily orders. Their fees are pretty reasonable if you can manage $100 or more in sales each month, considering there is absolutely no upfront risk involved. Since I joined in Feb '08, I've never had a month of sales less than $100, and have had months as high as $600. But I also worked hard to get a lot of inventory listed early, and try to add new stuff every week. Sportlots and COMC work very well between them to cover probably 90% of the cards I'd want to sell. Ebay is still around for bulk items as well as cards that are hot and spiking in price for a short period of time, and ebay is always there for the quick sales if you find yourself needing them. But I'd say in the last 2 years I've cut back in volume on ebay to about 20-25% of where I used to be... and not only has business been better but the hobby has been more fun as a result.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #146
tedsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Do you worry at all about the $170 per month it will cost you to have 17,000 cards listed on the site, or do you think your monthly sales will easily take care of this "storage" fee?
I do have to admit that I am rethinking the storage fee thing. At first, I felt that my sales would easily take care of it, which they have. I have not kept track exactly, but I would say the last few months I have averaged about $400-$500 per month in sales. Just this past week, I think my storage fee was about $75. When I first started sending things in, I was not opposed to the storage fee. Now that I am paying it, of course, I do not like it......but to me in the short term it is worth it.

The last 30-45 days or so, I have been going in, using the bulk editing tool, and reducing pricing to continue to move stuff out. I will never be as low priced as others on comc as I do not feel the need to "dump" base star players for 92% off and stuff like that.

I am looking at a move next year and will not pay a moving company to move all this stuff. I have been paying for climate controlled storage for the last three years-so I am getting away from that with COMC. Not to mention I have been giving a bunch of stuff to the neighbor kids. Moved to Houston about 3 years ago and moved close to 750,000 cards down here....amazing how happy you can make kids with some Bagwells and Biggios!!

Anyways, I just keep manuevering my pricing to keep things moving, offset the storage fees, send more stuff in. I really like my results so far with so little time invested. I am now ready to start taking some of my "profits" out for the holidays.
tedsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #147
DaClyde

Quote:
My real question was, has anyone tried to sell one of their cards which is listed on COMC on one of the other sites out there. I'm sure that more exposure is good, but there seems to be a lot at risk, such as the card selling to someone else on COMC, the shipping take a long time, etc.
If you had multiple copies of the card I could understand seeing how it would do on multiple sites, but if a single card is listed in your COMC account...you don't have posession of the card to sell anywhere else. Just seems like a huge risk to list a card on COMC and then attempt to sell it outside the system at the same time.

I've already made that mistake by accidentally trading a card from my Sportlots inventory over on TheBench, and then not removing it from Sportlots fast enough, so someone attempted to buy the card. As a result, I took a ding on my order filling accuracy because I had to refund the sale.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #148
hockeycards

Quote:
I think I may have confused everyone here. I currently have nearly everything thing I own on COMC at this point (april 2008 was when I started). I use sportsbuy and amazon for the stuff that I don't send in to COMC, I am always happy when something moves from those places. My real question was, has anyone tried to sell one of their cards which is listed on COMC on one of the other sites out there. I'm sure that more exposure is good, but there seems to be a lot at risk, such as the card selling to someone else on COMC, the shipping take a long time, etc. Just tossing it out there. I have not seen many or any postings that have gone too deep into this method.
i sold some of my cards from my comc inventory on ebay a while ago without any problems. maybe their shipping isn't as good for large quantities, but single cards are shipped in sleeve, top loader and bubble mailer. that's what i would be doing anyway.
hockeycards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #149
sportsheroes
Banned

Default listing on other sites

Quote:
i think you miss this part of the service, if you have a big card on comc it should show up in a google search, eventually, and give you that big exposure. then there is the issue of putting a big card on another site, if its ebay you have less time or more costly fees and therefore more risk. even if they are giving more favorable rates the whole point is to push the card into an auction where it will sell at some price and make ebay money even if you were unhappy with the selling price. and the bigger the selling price their fee just goes up. the time element is putting the squeeze on you to sell where at comc you have to pay a penny a month after 3 months. when it comes to comparing costs as far as fees on ebay or sportslots vs. a penny a month its not even close. If more ebayers knew we were here we would sell more big cards. its just a matter of time. the whole point of selling on comc is not buying shipping materials, spending 8 hours a day packaging cards and scanning them, collecting from buyers and then paying huge ebay and paypal fees. and even on big cards you could have buyer problems where they downgrade your seller rating because they thought you charged too much for shipping or didn't give it free.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #150
sportsheroes
Banned

if you are shipping right from comc you should be ok if you sent the card in to comc to begin with but if you are flipping it without seeing it thats a little tougher especially a bulk shipping. selling the same card twice on both sites how often does that happen? actually its not a bad idea for more exposure i just hate giving ebay the sale when i want everyone on comc. i like sportsbuy but its just more of the same quality problems with cards you can't inspect in person.