Blowout Cards Forums
2017 bb hot prospects

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

Notices

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (Pre-1980's)

Old 07-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Ryansito1

Default Old real photo postcards

I acquired a large collection about 20 years ago have had them sitting since I never really knew any information on them. So now that I'm member of the blowout cards I figure I come to the community and ask you guys if you know of any values or, any other way I can determine a date range of these postcards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryansito1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
mjohnatgt

Can you show the backs? They might be Exhibit cards or part of a team set. They don't look like "Real Photo" to me, they look printed. Real photo postcards have an actual photograph front that's glossy. But you can normally tell the date on them because of the stamp box on the back. Here's a great reference:
https://www.playle.com/realphoto/
mjohnatgt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Ryansito1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
Can you show the backs? They might be Exhibit cards or part of a team set. They don't look like "Real Photo" to me, they look printed. Real photo postcards have an actual photograph front that's glossy. But you can normally tell the date on them because of the stamp box on the back. Here's a great reference:
https://www.playle.com/realphoto/

Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Ryansito1

They have a gloss to the front that matches my family photos from the 40-50's

Old 07-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
mjohnatgt

Yeah, Kodak dates them to the 50s or 60s. Looks like they were photographs of photographs, not from the playing days. Still cool, but not worth much.
mjohnatgt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:37 AM   #6
sbfinley

As an aside, "gloss" is not the tell of a real photo postcard. A lot of RPPC's have gloss - some don't. There are printed PC's that are glossy. Doesn't make them RPPC. RPPC simply means it was printed by photographic means from the negative. Use a loupe or magnifying glass. Little dots = plain Jane pc. Solid colors = RPPC.
sbfinley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Leon

Here is what a Real Photo Postcard will look like.

www.luckeycards.com
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Mark70Z

Default Postcards

I'm not an expert, but I'd say from the '60's or later. They look like some of the postcards that I have from that period. They look to be photo's of photo's, but as stated use a loupe to know for sure. Still cool!
Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #9
discostu

I assume that they are Brace era prints of George Burke / George Brace postcards.

They worked together and were located in Chicago, so the fact that the Chicago teams appear in home uniforms seems to jive.

Also...a "common" format.

How many do you have? Some of the photos are more rare than others. They experimented with a couple different formats for postcards...including a colorized variation with a name in a text box on front. Most either had a white border, or borderless like yours.

Of note, it was Burke who provided a lot of the pictures for the 1930's Goudey cards.

Definitely cool. And some value...but without the contact information on the back, they don't appear to be the earlier generation of a Burke era print.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
Ryansito1

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I assume that they are Brace era prints of George Burke / George Brace postcards.

They worked together and were located in Chicago, so the fact that the Chicago teams appear in home uniforms seems to jive.

How many do you have? Some of the photos are more rare than others. They experimented with a couple different formats for postcards...including a colorized variation with a name in a text box on front. Most either had a white border, or borderless like yours.

Of note, it was Burke who provided a lot of the pictures for the 1930's Goudey cards.

Definitely cool. And some value...but without the contact information on the back, they don't appear to be the earlier generation of a Burke era print.

Thank you for this information much helpful since these were acquired in Chicago about 1996 from a collection. Could never part with them because lack of info on them

Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
crazy4kinsler

Also, you might check out the Net54 forums. They're very knowlegable on vintage stuff.
crazy4kinsler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
Ryansito1

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post

Sorry I forgot to respond earlier, I have 31 postcards players identified as Lloyd Waner, Bob Feller, Paul Waner, Pie TRAYNOR, BILL TERRY, COAKER TRIPLETT, RIGGS STEPHENSON, RED RUFFING, AL SIMMONS, BOB SMITH, Andy PAFKO, Roy Parmlee, Lyn Nelson, Mel Ott, Chuck Klein 2 different poses, Rabbit Maranville, Freddie Lindstrom, frank Frisch, John Gill, Charlie Grimm, Don Hurst, Bill Dickey 2 poses, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Kiki Cuyler, Dizzy Dean, Zeke Bondra ?, Earl Averill