Blowout Cards Forums
Bryce harper

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
dallasstars29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 730
Default Anyone a member of the Hobby Insider Forum - Fake Forsberg Patch Thread

So I pulled a redemption at my LCS for a 15-16 Ultimate Peter Forsberg Autographed Jumbo Materials /5. Sent the redemption to UD and a few weeks ago got back card 5/5 with a "Western Conference" patch. This looks like the logo from the 1996 All-Star game. Listed the card on Ebay and yesterday started getting Ebay messages about the patch being fake (and how I was ruining the hobby) because the "experts" over at Hobby Insider had deemed it so. I tried to check out the thread so I could at least stand up for myself, but I'm not a registered member there yet. I registered, but was wondering if anyone on here could send me what it says in the thread while I'm waiting to get registered.

I know I don't have the highest iTrader on BO (but do have a perfect Ebay rating over 3800), but hopefully most on here that have dealt with me know that I would never fake a patch.
__________________
Looking for Marty Turco auto cards, Dallas Stars RC/Auto/GU, and Dallas Cowboys RC/Auto/GU.

Majority of cards are 75%+ off!
checkoutmycards.com/Users/dallasstars29
dallasstars29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
BestRCs
Member
 
BestRCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gardena, CA
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasstars29 View Post
So I pulled a redemption at my LCS for a 15-16 Ultimate Peter Forsberg Autographed Jumbo Materials /5. Sent the redemption to UD and a few weeks ago got back card 5/5 with a "Western Conference" patch. This looks like the logo from the 1996 All-Star game. Listed the card on Ebay and yesterday started getting Ebay messages about the patch being fake (and how I was ruining the hobby) because the "experts" over at Hobby Insider had deemed it so. I tried to check out the thread so I could at least stand up for myself, but I'm not a registered member there yet. I registered, but was wondering if anyone on here could send me what it says in the thread while I'm waiting to get registered.

I know I don't have the highest iTrader on BO (but do have a perfect Ebay rating over 3800), but hopefully most on here that have dealt with me know that I would never fake a patch.
If that's the case I wouldn't worry about anything. Don't justify yourself to idiots. There are a bunch of people like that, that swear they know stuff. Zero proof, just negative conjecture.
BestRCs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
capsfan30
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manassas, VA, USA
Posts: 39
Default

I am a member there, and the main issue is with the patch itself. It just doesn't look like a patch used on an actual game-used jersey, but of one from a replica jersey. Perhaps you could attach an image here and let other members see for themselves?
__________________
I collect Washington Capitals RCs and RC Parallels, Bobby Hull Autographs, and 1999-00 Upper Deck Exclusives /100!
A Fan of the Washington Capitals
capsfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
TanguayFan
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsfan30 View Post
I am a member there, and the main issue is with the patch itself. It just doesn't look like a patch used on an actual game-used jersey, but of one from a replica jersey. Perhaps you could attach an image here and let other members see for themselves?
I am a member there as well.

The person who raised the flag in no way, shape or form implicated you as having faked the patch, (and stated as such) but showed pretty good evidence that it is not a patch from an authentic game worn NHL jersey. In fact, according to the thread, he asked you for a scan of the back of the card to confirm what the verbiage was that UD used on the card. He is a hardcore former Forsberg and Avalanche collector, his evidence is pretty solid.

In reading the whole thread, the only negative thing that was posted about you as a seller was your rather inappropriate response to one of the people who inquired. I don't know how their question to you was worded, so perhaps you were justified. Other than that, not a single person questioned your integrity.

Last edited by TanguayFan; 01-05-2017 at 12:41 PM.
TanguayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
k13
Member
 
k13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,454
Default

Expected from HI...but who really knows what UD does...they don't care.
k13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
capsfan30
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Manassas, VA, USA
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
Expected from HI...but who really knows what UD does...they don't care.
And what, exactly, do you mean by that?
__________________
I collect Washington Capitals RCs and RC Parallels, Bobby Hull Autographs, and 1999-00 Upper Deck Exclusives /100!
A Fan of the Washington Capitals
capsfan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Inferno
Member
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 615
Default

I'm a member there also and posted in the thread that I would not touch the card. I believe you, OP, when you say the card was a redemption straight from UD. Unfortunately a patch that size was not used on any actual game-worn jerseys (and evidence shows it likely came from a replica Avalanche jersey that had the small AS logos embroidered on the jersey hem) so it would appear UD used a questionable jersey to make your card.

Hopefully your membership will be accepted soon so you can come over and discuss it.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Inferno
Member
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
Expected from HI...but who really knows what UD does...they don't care.
Easy to say when you were banned from there
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
k13
Member
 
k13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Easy to say when you were banned from there
Banning someone because they say that Rick Nash will never be relevant in this hobby ever again is...

I had a few friends banned from there for silly reasons.

No biggie to me but they should remember that any person even remotely interested in this dying hobby is a plus as long as they are not a scammer.
k13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
Jedi
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Alberta
Posts: 8
Default

OP - there's no point in defending yourself over on Jeremy's personal hobby board (HI) as UD can never do anything wrong. UD is the greatest, don't you dare try to smear them in anyway.

His entourage of brown nosers and gulpers have already placed you in the category of a patch faker. Only the rarest shining beacons of the hockey collecting world are allowed such privilege as to own a HI membership.
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
Inferno
Member
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
Banning someone because they say that Rick Nash will never be relevant in this hobby ever again is...

I had a few friends banned from there for silly reasons.

No biggie to me but they should remember that any person even remotely interested in this dying hobby is a plus as long as they are not a scammer.
Yeah, it wasn't just one silly post about Rick Nash and you know it. You were banned for constant negativity, which is something you do on every forum including this one. Some forums have more patience for it than others I guess
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
rustyisin
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasstars29 View Post
So I pulled a redemption at my LCS for a 15-16 Ultimate Peter Forsberg Autographed Jumbo Materials /5. Sent the redemption to UD and a few weeks ago got back card 5/5 with a "Western Conference" patch. This looks like the logo from the 1996 All-Star game. Listed the card on Ebay and yesterday started getting Ebay messages about the patch being fake (and how I was ruining the hobby) because the "experts" over at Hobby Insider had deemed it so. I tried to check out the thread so I could at least stand up for myself, but I'm not a registered member there yet. I registered, but was wondering if anyone on here could send me what it says in the thread while I'm waiting to get registered.

I know I don't have the highest iTrader on BO (but do have a perfect Ebay rating over 3800), but hopefully most on here that have dealt with me know that I would never fake a patch.

if you have a screenshot of your redemption with dates that would be cool. You could post that on your ebay auction and tell the doubters to stick it.
rustyisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #13
dallasstars29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanguayFan View Post
I am a member there as well.

The person who raised the flag in no way, shape or form implicated you as having faked the patch, (and stated as such) but showed pretty good evidence that it is not a patch from an authentic game worn NHL jersey. In fact, according to the thread, he asked you for a scan of the back of the card to confirm what the verbiage was that UD used on the card. He is a hardcore former Forsberg and Avalanche collector, his evidence is pretty solid.

In reading the whole thread, the only negative thing that was posted about you as a seller was your rather inappropriate response to one of the people who inquired. I don't know how their question to you was worded, so perhaps you were justified. Other than that, not a single person questioned your integrity.
Thanks for the recap. Yes, an Ebay member did request a scan of the back of the card. I haven't provided one as I was busy going to the Stars game last night. I'll provide scans of the front and back tonight to the Ebay member and this board.

The other Ebay member that "inquired" about it started by calling me names and accusing me of faking it myself so yes, he got a not so kind response. I was probably wrong to do that, but sometimes I have a low tolerance for ignorance.

Again, thanks for the recap, I just hate that the term "fake" is being used in the thread. That term in itself implies that someone (most likely the seller) did something shady with the patch. I'm not sure why someone would fake a patch on a card of this type/value though. Saying it's not game used is one thing, calling it fake another.
__________________
Looking for Marty Turco auto cards, Dallas Stars RC/Auto/GU, and Dallas Cowboys RC/Auto/GU.

Majority of cards are 75%+ off!
checkoutmycards.com/Users/dallasstars29
dallasstars29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
dallasstars29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyisin View Post
if you have a screenshot of your redemption with dates that would be cool. You could post that on your ebay auction and tell the doubters to stick it.
I'll do this as well.
__________________
Looking for Marty Turco auto cards, Dallas Stars RC/Auto/GU, and Dallas Cowboys RC/Auto/GU.

Majority of cards are 75%+ off!
checkoutmycards.com/Users/dallasstars29
dallasstars29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
Soxrule111
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: DeKalb
Posts: 5,616
Default

Did the card sell, or you pull it down?
__________________
Reminiscing on the old days... Collecting 2000-2005
Trying to Sell off everything in my COMC Port, Starting at 4,051. Send offers on anything you like, or PM.
***200 Cards Sold, still 3,000+ Left to move**
Soxrule111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
dallasstars29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxrule111 View Post
Did the card sell, or you pull it down?
Well, it sold for my BIN price, but the buyer hasn't paid. I just wonder if he thought he was doing a service by "buying" it so it wouldn't be listed for some other unsuspecting buyer.

I've contacted UD to see what they say about this as well.
__________________
Looking for Marty Turco auto cards, Dallas Stars RC/Auto/GU, and Dallas Cowboys RC/Auto/GU.

Majority of cards are 75%+ off!
checkoutmycards.com/Users/dallasstars29
dallasstars29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #17
Inferno
Member
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasstars29 View Post
Well, it sold for my BIN price, but the buyer hasn't paid. I just wonder if he thought he was doing a service by "buying" it so it wouldn't be listed for some other unsuspecting buyer.

I've contacted UD to see what they say about this as well.
I'd be very curious to know what, if anything, UD replies back with. Their wording on the back of the memorabilia cards pretty much covers their butt no matter what goes into a card. "The memorabilia is certified to us as having been used in an official NHL game." In other words, "someone else promised us it was legit so blame them instead."
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #18
dallasstars29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 730
Default

Here are scans of the front and back of the card in question:




__________________
Looking for Marty Turco auto cards, Dallas Stars RC/Auto/GU, and Dallas Cowboys RC/Auto/GU.

Majority of cards are 75%+ off!
checkoutmycards.com/Users/dallasstars29
dallasstars29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #19
TanguayFan
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
Default

I hope you get it all sorted out.

And thanks for the polite, rational response. Looks like there are a couple others on here who could learn a thing or two from you about diplomacy.
TanguayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #20
Triple B
Member
 
Triple B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Planet Toronto
Posts: 842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13 View Post
Banning someone because they say that Rick Nash will never be relevant in this hobby ever again is...

I had a few friends banned from there for silly reasons.

No biggie to me but they should remember that any person even remotely interested in this dying hobby is a plus as long as they are not a scammer.
You say a lot of silly things here too, and it hasn't gotten you banned. You SURE that's the reason you got tossed? Maybe it's because you're a negative Nancy...?

To the OP, this has nothing to do with you and everything to do with whomever UD bought the jersey from. Unfortunately, it's out of your hands. This will get me booed, but if I were you, I'd just sell it and leave the verbiage on the back of the card as your "out". You did nothing wrong except pull the card. However, you'll have a small minority up the back of your pants about it. Tough position to be in, but not your problem if it's not a card you intend to keep.
__________________
Wanted Dead or Alive!
1. 1997 Bowman's Best Jose Cruz, Jr Atomic Refractor Autograph
2. 1997 Fleer Ultra Jose Cruz, Jr. Platinum Medallion RC /200
Triple B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #21
Internazionale
Member
 
Internazionale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary,Canada
Posts: 2,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
You say a lot of silly things here too, and it hasn't gotten you banned. You SURE that's the reason you got tossed? Maybe it's because you're a negative Nancy...?

To the OP, this has nothing to do with you and everything to do with whomever UD bought the jersey from. Unfortunately, it's out of your hands. This will get me booed, but if I were you, I'd just sell it and leave the verbiage on the back of the card as your "out". You did nothing wrong except pull the card. However, you'll have a small minority up the back of your pants about it. Tough position to be in, but not your problem if it's not a card you intend to keep.
Who will buy the card in question? It's not a good thing to have stuff like this floating around on ebay and other forums. Fortunately we have alot of detectives in the hobby, and we get answers sooner rather than later. It sucks that UD would do something like this, but selling it should be the last thing he should do. I'd love to hear a response from Upper Deck on this card.
__________________
I'd prefer to use my COMC US mailbox address for shipping. Collecting mostly 90's stuff now (mid-high end Football - anyone really), MJ, KOBE, Timmy D in basketball. Hit me up any time if you have anything you'd sell or trade
Internazionale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #22
Triple B
Member
 
Triple B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Planet Toronto
Posts: 842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
Who will buy the card in question? It's not a good thing to have stuff like this floating around on ebay and other forums. Fortunately we have alot of detectives in the hobby, and we get answers sooner rather than later. It sucks that UD would do something like this, but selling it should be the last thing he should do. I'd love to hear a response from Upper Deck on this card.
This is it exactly. Upper Deck needs to address this. "Will they?" is the next question. This should in NO WAY fall on the collector.
__________________
Wanted Dead or Alive!
1. 1997 Bowman's Best Jose Cruz, Jr Atomic Refractor Autograph
2. 1997 Fleer Ultra Jose Cruz, Jr. Platinum Medallion RC /200
Triple B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #23
yzerberg
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyisin View Post
if you have a screenshot of your redemption with dates that would be cool. You could post that on your ebay auction and tell the doubters to stick it.
i second this. it would go a long way with the everyone regardless of which hobby boards they are members of.

Sean.
yzerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #24
thorn
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Oulu
Posts: 133
Default

Let's see what Upper Deck has to say. :O
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #25
Cavaliercards
Member
 
Cavaliercards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 13,025
Default

Sorry you are having to deal with this OP
__________________
Always Buying: Vintage and Tobacco Cards

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.