Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

Notices

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (Pre-1980's)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
MJGOAT23
Member
 
MJGOAT23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 865
Default 79 OPC Gretzky - Guess the Grade!

I have this at PSA now. Bought the bullet on a 2 card submission even though I prefer sending larger groups to BGS. Top/bottom centering is going to hurt a bit but I think otherwise its pretty clean!?? Who knows with PSA though.



MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
bigmick33
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 2,409
Default

I'll say an 8. That things nice
__________________
I collect Calvin Johnson and Jonathan Dwyer. Also all Ohio State Buckeyes and Georgia Tech Yellowjackets!

Bucket-http://s1138.photobucket.com/profile/bigmick33
bigmick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
rustyisin
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,461
Default

can't be an 8 - too o/c top to bottom
psa 7 is my call...maybe even psa 7 o/c
rustyisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
MJGOAT23
Member
 
MJGOAT23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 865
Default

i chose no qualifiers. 8 would be amazing but I was thinking 6 or 7 myself b/c of centering
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #5
daxwills
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 3,507
Default

Doesn't look any worse than this one and it's got the same horrible t/b centering so I'll say it's a 7. Hard to tell from pictures of course.

1979-80 OPC O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky #18 Rookie Oilers PSA 7 | eBay

For comparison to yours. Not mine BTW.
__________________
"Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Davis
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,329
Default

Beauty of a card. Would be an 8 (OC) but will probably be a 6 because of no qualifiers. Might end up a 7 if they're feeling good. Corners and edges are super nice.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #7
MJGOAT23
Member
 
MJGOAT23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
Doesn't look any worse than this one and it's got the same horrible t/b centering so I'll say it's a 7. Hard to tell from pictures of course.



1979-80 OPC O-Pee-Chee Wayne Gretzky #18 Rookie Oilers PSA 7 | eBay



For comparison to yours. Not mine BTW.


Nice. Yes, it's examples like this one and others I have seen that have me optimistic for the seven


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
MJGOAT23
Member
 
MJGOAT23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Beauty of a card. Would be an 8 (OC) but will probably be a 6 because of no qualifiers. Might end up a 7 if they're feeling good. Corners and edges are super nice.


Do you think I should have put qualifiers? I just don't like them for some reason, but I don't like the two grade drop either!

I guess it depends on the card, because if it were a really old card and it was like nine off center, I would be more impressed than say a straight seven because it's pretty hard to have a mint condition card from the 50s or something earlier


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:43 AM   #9
WilsonCollector
Member
 
WilsonCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 730
Default

This card is so darn nice, this would be a 9oc all day long but the registration is holding it back. Plus there is some slight PD issues here (unless dust on scanner), edges are perfect for this card. I'm hoping you get a 7, but you know how these high profile cards are 2nd best 6.5. I do have some experience with reviews on high end cards. Love your card, BTW!!
__________________
Yeah, my scans are BIG!
I am Largentcollector on other forums.
WilsonCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #10
MJGOAT23
Member
 
MJGOAT23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCollector View Post
This card is so darn nice, this would be a 9oc all day long but the registration is holding it back. Plus there is some slight PD issues here (unless dust on scanner), edges are perfect for this card. I'm hoping you get a 7, but you know how these high profile cards are 2nd best 6.5. I do have some experience with reviews on high end cards. Love your card, BTW!!
Thanks, appreciate it. You think the photo of gretzky seems blurry? All my scans seem to have a white powder to them so I think its the scanner. I agree, corners and edges are pretty clean. top bottom centering obv isnt great. L/R isnt too too bad but yes, the Iconic RC's seem to get an extra level of attention because they are so widely viewed by the buying public, grading companies need to ensure consistency to protect their service.
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #11
Rookiemonster
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 130
Default

I would say a 6 maybe a 7 . The main concern is that black line under Edmonton oilers . It look like from the scan that the line has a bunch of print dots or something . Maybe it's from the scanner idk . But it does have nice eye appeal !
Rookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #12
ThoseBackPages
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 11,697
Default

PSA 6

Great looking card!
__________________
It's getting to the point where im no fun anymore. i am sorry.

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #13
RaiderMike
Member
 
RaiderMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: California
Posts: 618
Default

I'm gonna go the over on everyone and say a 9.
RaiderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #14
seabass97166
Member
 
seabass97166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderMike View Post
I'm gonna go the over on everyone and say a 9.
There is no way in hell. Those cards go for over $30 grand and PSA isn't about to hand out 9s on a card that is off center top to bottom. I hope I'm wrong!!

Last edited by seabass97166; 01-12-2017 at 12:53 AM.
seabass97166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #15
RaiderMike
Member
 
RaiderMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: California
Posts: 618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass97166 View Post
There is no way in hell. Those cards go for over $30 grand and PSA isn't about to hand out 9s on a card that is off center top to bottom. I hope I'm wrong!!
The edges aren't damaged because of lack of care, that is factory. The corners look good and I have seen 9's on older cards where the corners aren't perfect. Centering top to bottom isn't horrible and side to side looks awesome.

I am curious to see if this comes out a 9. Again, i'm not a professional grader.
RaiderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #16
vtgmsc
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 438
Default 6

Its going to be a PSA 6. Great looking card regardless of the grade.

Peace, Mike
vtgmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #17
northwellguy
Member
 
northwellguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 654
Default

PSA 6 or 7
__________________
Looking for: Jackman auto (Wolverine - Origins), Lilly auto (Lost or Hobbit), Nichols (Continuum), and any "24" auto, prop, or costume
northwellguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #18
Eckstein197
Member
 
Eckstein197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 2,532
Default

PSA 8 is my guess, I'm just an optimistic kind of person
__________________
2015 Blowout All-Time NFL Bust NFC Champion
PC's: Alstott, ASJ, Killebrew, Burdi, Tatar, Hasek
Blowout vs. Ziegler: Bob Loblaw's post was like Ziegler's delivery. Below the belt and unexpected but effective
Eckstein197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #19
Davis
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderMike View Post
The edges aren't damaged because of lack of care, that is factory. The corners look good and I have seen 9's on older cards where the corners aren't perfect. Centering top to bottom isn't horrible and side to side looks awesome.

I am curious to see if this comes out a 9. Again, i'm not a professional grader.
I think his post has nothing to do with edges. Those familiar with this particular card know that the rough cut edges on this card are actually preferred. The difference between this card being a 9 or a 6 is 100% the top/bottom centering. You say it's not horrible...but it's way off center. It would 100% get an OC qualifier, but the OP submitted with no qualifiers. So it'll come back somewhere between a 6 and 7. I hope he gets a 7...but it all depends on day whether it's a 6, 6.5 or 7.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #20
Davis
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGOAT23 View Post
Do you think I should have put qualifiers? I just don't like them for some reason, but I don't like the two grade drop either!

I guess it depends on the card, because if it were a really old card and it was like nine off center, I would be more impressed than say a straight seven because it's pretty hard to have a mint condition card from the 50s or something earlier


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you did the right thing by submitting with no qualifiers. I would have done the same.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #21
MJGOAT23
Member
 
MJGOAT23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderMike View Post
The edges aren't damaged because of lack of care, that is factory. The corners look good and I have seen 9's on older cards where the corners aren't perfect. Centering top to bottom isn't horrible and side to side looks awesome.

I am curious to see if this comes out a 9. Again, i'm not a professional grader.
I wish! You work at PSA , right?! jk.

Appreciate the thoughts and replies from all. It arrived at PSA on like 1/6 and they acknowledged the order last evening. Should have results by the end of next week.
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #22
Davis
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Denver
Posts: 3,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGOAT23 View Post
I wish! You work at PSA , right?! jk.

Appreciate the thoughts and replies from all. It arrived at PSA on like 1/6 and they acknowledged the order last evening. Should have results by the end of next week.
Good luck! It's an awesome card. I have a PSA 8 (OC) that is off L/R. If the card is going to be OC, I would much prefer to own a copy like yours that is off T/B.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #23
MJGOAT23
Member
 
MJGOAT23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
Good luck! It's an awesome card. I have a PSA 8 (OC) that is off L/R. If the card is going to be OC, I would much prefer to own a copy like yours that is off T/B.
honestly, I didn't notice the t/b centering being so off until after i scanned it which speaks to this. def looks better in hand.
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #24
John91C
Member
 
John91C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Deep in the Heart of TEXAS!
Posts: 4,948
Default

I think it will be a PSA 8 (OC) or a PSA 7.

Here's my PSA 8 but I don't have a back scan of it.

__________________
Photobucket (not always up to date): http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t199/John91C/
John91C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #25
MJGOAT23
Member
 
MJGOAT23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
I think it will be a PSA 8 (OC) or a PSA 7.

Here's my PSA 8 but I don't have a back scan of it.

hmmm...yes, a bit better t/b..
MJGOAT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.