Blowout Cards Forums
VIP 2017

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Jaysabz

Default Star Wars Episode VII - VIII Thread ... *Spoliers if you haven't seen Episode VII*

I'm a Star Wars nut.

Was born in 1979, a few years after a New Hope, but I remember getting all of the figures as a young child, and my Aunt taking me to see Return of the Jedi in 1983 as a four year old.

One would think that you couldn't remember something from when you were four years old but I do... Seeing the Red-eyed Twillek then the scary Gamorrean Guards (Pig men in my mind)... I started crying and she took me out of the theater ASAP, before Luke even entered Jabba's Palace. I didn't see RoTJ in full until about 10 years later.

Anyway, I'm watching TFA for about the 20th time and here's my theory.

Han + Leia = Ben AKA Kylo Ren, in Ep 7 he seems to be in his thirties, so he was conceived shortly after RoTJ.

Han + Leia = "Rey" - Years later, the miracle baby, she's at least 15 years younger than Ben "Kylo".

The massacre happened at Luke's Jedi school before Rey was enrolled. Han and Leia hid her away after it happened.

So she is a Skywalker, not through Luke, but through Leia, thus their hug at the end of Episode VII. And thus Luke looking confused, since he had fled, but recognizing she is in his bloodline and with the Force when Rey showed up at the end of Episode VII, as he was unaware she was even born.

Just another theory.

Best,

Jason

Last edited by Jaysabz; 02-13-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Jaysabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Jaysabz

Sorry, edits to my crazy theory!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #3
Chuck Bartowski

While I don't see her being the product of Leia and Hans, that would explain why Leia hugged her instead of Chewie.
Chuck Bartowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
smanzari

I think she is somehow related but is not a child of. Also, I was thinking she was AT the Jedi school and left on Jakku by Luke. I have a feeling he's been waiting for her since he dropped her off.

smanzari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
aclben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
While I don't see her being the product of Leia and Hans, that would explain why Leia hugged her instead of Chewie.
J.J. Abrams actually talked about this scene in an interview and stated he made a mistake in not having her hug Chewie first...

I think the fact that Han shows zero recognition of Rey maybe debunks this theory...

I guess it just seems too obvious that Luke should be the father that probably one of the alternate theories will end up being true...
Old 02-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
Brobocop

When it comes to Disney, probably what the most obvious answer is the real answer. The theories that Rey becomes a villain seem crazy. You think Disney would push a female lead for the biggest franchise in the world only to make her turn bad? Doesn't compute. Star Wars is a business first.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
natbornkiller

luke watch uncle ben in 4
rey watched uncle han die in 7
Old 02-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #8
bmarianelli

I read a theory online that Rey is actually a Palpatine (Emperor bloodline). At its core, Star Wars has always been about the Skywalkers and the Palpatines. I have no idea how it will all play out, but the idea that now a Skywalker could be evil (Kylo) and a Palpatine good (Rey) is pretty awesome, haha...
bmarianelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #9
fulltritty

No way she is the daughter of Han and Leia. One or both would have recognized her as their own child in Episode VII.
fulltritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
eldavojohn

Send a message via Skype™ to eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltritty View Post
No way she is the daughter of Han and Leia. One or both would have recognized her as their own child in Episode VII.
I have to agree, let's think for a moment how normal people would behave. So they dump her on Jaaku for safe keeping? To protect her? To stop her from ever becoming a jedi? No contact, no love, no money, no foster family like Luke got with Lars' Moisture Farm.

Then they both encounter her and think ... what, exactly? "Hey, this is my daughter, oh darn she's no longer 'safe' on Jaaku as a scavenger ... better play it cool and pretend like I don't know her?"

I mean, what would a normal person do there? You'd either try to get her back into "hiding" again or just reveal everything on the spot.

I've run through a lot of scenarios in my head and not a lot of them make any sense except her being Obi-Wan Kenobi's granddaughter. Even that one would be pointlessly soap operatic -- it's just the best of the worst family tie ins. The evidence for it is that Ben talks to her in VII -- although both Snoke & Ren sensed an awakening so very likely Ben was just blue ghost jedi-ing around and also sensed her awakening.

And how would you reveal that? The exposition would be clunky AF. "Rey, I'm your blue ghost jedi grandpa"? "Why does your license say 'Rey Kenobi'?" I just can't ... it's not good. The only thing it buys the story is the potential circle-is-now-complete 2nd generation revenge.

I hope Rey's family is never revealed or tied into the other characters. They already had Ren's heritage, the real world isn't that nepotistic and I enjoy suspension of disbelief.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Sapphire Sports

NO no no your all wrong. Rey is the daughter of Leia & Snoke.
One night no one can explain and way to many shots at the bar.
Sapphire Sports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Cactuspies

Quote:
well lets go back to to luke and leia kissing and not knowing they were siblings....
Patriots 5 time Champs
Squanching from coast to coast
Cactuspies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #13
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
well lets go back to to luke and leia kissing and not knowing they were siblings....
Old 02-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #14
Chuck Bartowski

Quote:
Yeah plus Leia would have felt it the way she knew Luke was her brother.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #15
Chuck Bartowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspies View Post
Haha...that was more to tick off Solo than anything else.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
kerg

Snoke will end up being Vader's Dad and Rey's father which will make her Luke's Auntie Rey and Snoke Luke's Grandfather.

Then they can slather memberberry jam on the phrase, "Rey.. I am your father..."

And the internet will meltdown...

Last edited by kerg; 02-14-2017 at 12:00 PM.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #17
jamesr

I too disagree on the Han / Leia parentage line ... Han originally planned to chuck both Rey and Finn off at the nearest hospitable planet and get rid of them ASAP; hardly the actions of a long lost father!
jamesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
Jaysabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
I too disagree on the Han / Leia parentage line ... Han originally planned to chuck both Rey and Finn off at the nearest hospitable planet and get rid of them ASAP; hardly the actions of a long lost father!
Yeah I'm probably wrong on Rey being Leia and Han's daughter, but she looked all of what, 3-6 years old when being dropped on Jakku? And Han did take them to Maz's Castle.

Anyway, it should prove interesting to see what really went down. I just hope it's not revealed and we all go !
Old 02-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #19
mtedenajimenez

If it's one thing Disney loves for sure, it's making money, and there's nothing that's going to make more money than selling Rey Skywalker merchandise forever. While Rey Kenobi will make some nice change, Rey Skywalker is the clear choice to rake in the big bucks. It wouldn't be the first time that marketing would directly influence key decisions with the Star Wars story. Perhaps the reveal of Rey being Luke's daughter wont be much of a surprise, but the interactions and reasons of why things happened a certain way will be. They can easily get around the "why was Rey left by Luke in Jakku?" question by having Luke unknowingly getting the mother pregnant while on a Jedi adventure. Perhaps the mother did not want or was not able to let Luke know for whatever reason, then meets another man, Rey would just assume this other man is her dad. The bigger reveal could be who the mom is, and sequence of events that left Rey in Jakku. Disney could surprise us, but I just don't see them taking the financial hit in not being able to forever milk Rey Skywalker merchandise.
mtedenajimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #20
kerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedenajimenez View Post
If it's one thing Disney loves for sure, it's making money, and there's nothing that's going to make more money than selling Rey Skywalker merchandise forever.
Another thing Disney loves is image and I don't think Luke getting someone unknowingly pregnant while off on a Jedi adventure is a good image.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #21
mtedenajimenez

I’d argue that there are worse things going on in the MCU side already. They hit on terrorism and social issues and sure are letting Black Widow tote the sexual line. Plus, we’re talking about a franchise that had incestuous undertones in the original trilogy and in the prequels Padme was pretty much an adult when she met a small little kid named Anakin. It’s not like Luke would be banging everything in sight, it would be a woman he loved, and he had full intentions or returning back to her. She gets pregnant and then realizes if she tells Luke, the daughter is destined to be a Jedi and live a dangerous life, so she tries to change the daughter’s destiny, things go wrong, here we are on Jakku, etc.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #22
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtedenajimenez View Post
They hit on terrorism
I'm really alarmed at how watered down that word has become. It is dangerous to conflate that with urban warfare and combat. Dangerous because it actually reduces the gravity of that word.

My personal definition is terrorism is an attack on a non-combatant populace (and only a non-combatant populace) that has the only goal of inflicting the maximum amount of death and suffering. There are no overt combatants before it happens and its purpose is to make an entire population of millions afraid to do every day things.

I haven't seen that in Star Wars yet. Could you cite your example (maybe I'm forgetting something)?

After typing that out, here's the formal definition (and wikipedia lists many):

Quote:
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
Striking a military convoy, targeting a single person, infiltrating to acquire something or information ... that's not terrorism. Even if innocent bystanders die in the process. State actors fighting over a city resulting in civilian deaths happens all the time and has for hundreds of years.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #23
Jaysabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
I'm really alarmed at how watered down that word has become. It is dangerous to conflate that with urban warfare and combat. Dangerous because it actually reduces the gravity of that word.

My personal definition is terrorism is an attack on a non-combatant populace (and only a non-combatant populace) that has the only goal of inflicting the maximum amount of death and suffering. There are no overt combatants before it happens and its purpose is to make an entire population of millions afraid to do every day things.

I haven't seen that in Star Wars yet. Could you cite your example (maybe I'm forgetting something)?

After typing that out, here's the formal definition (and wikipedia lists many):

Striking a military convoy, targeting a single person, infiltrating to acquire something or information ... that's not terrorism. Even if innocent bystanders die in the process. State actors fighting over a city resulting in civilian deaths happens all the time and has for hundreds of years.
I can think of two off hand.

Preliminarily, tongue in cheek, is Kevin Smith's argument (forget which movie of his it was from) but in Return of the Jedi, blowing up the non-completed Death Star II, how many non partisan independent contractors died when they blew it up.

More seriously:

1). Episode VII: The destruction of Hosnian Prime and the four other planets that were home to the remnants of the Republic.

2). Episode IV: The destruction of Alderaan to show off the capabilities of the Death Star.

Dunno why this topic turned dark.. Still hoping Rey is a Skywalker thru Leia rather than thru Luke.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #24
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysabz View Post
I can think of two off hand.

Preliminarily, tongue in cheek, is Kevin Smith's argument (forget which movie of his it was from) but in Return of the Jedi, blowing up the non-completed Death Star II, how many non partisan independent contractors died when they blew it up.

More seriously:

1). Episode VII: The destruction of Hosnian Prime and the four other planets that were home to the remnants of the Republic.

2). Episode IV: The destruction of Alderaan to show off the capabilities of the Death Star.

Dunno why this topic turned dark.. Still hoping Rey is a Skywalker thru Leia rather than thru Luke.

Yeah, I totally disagree with you on those. By the logic in 1 and 2, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were terrorism. By your Smith's argument, any bombing raid on a German factory city during WWII would also be terrorism.

State actors who consider themselves at large-scale war striking strategic points isn't terrorism. The key difference with 1 & 2 and terrorism is the enemy had a known base. If North Korea nuked South Korea, that's not terrorism. We know where to hit them.

Please do not use this word lightly.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #25
mtedenajimenez

You misunderstood my 1st and 2nd sentences from my last response. Kerg was talking about Disney’s overall image. Then I brought up the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe), which is also under Disney’s umbrella to bring up issues Disney has already dealt with. The 2nd sentence was also tied to the MCU, which is why it ends with me referencing Black Widow (a Marvel character). 3rd sentence I go back into Star Wars. If the MCU doesn’t deal with the theme of terrorism then I don’t know what does. Going back to Iron Man I, it was Tony Stark’s realization that all his creations were getting into the hands of terrorists, and all the blood on his hands he was indirectly tied to, which began his “redemption arc” into Iron Man. The action/reaction of what terrorism does to the world has continued to be pointed out periodically since then in the MCU and even in the TV series Agents of Shield (I don’t watch the other Marvel TV shows, so I don’t know about others).