Blowout Cards Forums
2017 nat

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
BengalsJayhawks

Default House of Fright Horror Movie Wax Packs Coming Soon

I follow the owner of the Horror Tshirt company Fright Rags on Instagram and today he posted this.

To me this seems pretty sweet. If this is executed properly can you imagine all the awesome horror movie sets we could get. There's a lot of unknowns at this point, but as a huge Horror fan I'm extremely excited. His t-shirts have been pretty great so if he can do trading cards the same way I can only imagine what we get.
BengalsJayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
dd316

Awesome! They've been including exclusive trading cards with their shirts for some time now.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #3
Dewman

Cool. Artist Dan Curto posted on Facebook about doing sketch cards for a Re-Animator set. I was wondering who was releasing it.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
Arianny_Fan

Sweet. To me anything is better than licensed cards anyway. More assortment and variety.

JASLYN OME PC: https://www.flickr.com/gp/139631202@N06/0x968i
Arianny_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
SavageScott

https://mobile.twitter.com/frightrag...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 02-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
jdandns

Border color is perfection, images look sharp with some very necessary gore, and the captions are well written. Anyone wants a nice Jeffrey Combs auto to go with this, he has an inexpensive one in Inkworks' "The 4400". I hope they do well with this as there are a whole lot of these kinds of movies I'd like to see sets for. I'd say 63 base cards and a 9 sticker set with a puzzle back is the ideal format (maybe 72/9 or 81/9 for more epic films, though).
Old 02-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Border color is perfection, images look sharp with some very necessary gore, and the captions are well written. Anyone wants a nice Jeffrey Combs auto to go with this, he has an inexpensive one in Inkworks' "The 4400". I hope they do well with this as there are a whole lot of these kinds of movies I'd like to see sets for. I'd say 63 base cards and a 9 sticker set with a puzzle back is the ideal format (maybe 72/9 or 81/9 for more epic films, though).
Combs has an auto in a Star Trek set (maybe a few) as well. I just watched Re-Animator again last night.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
dd316

Just got an email from Fright Rags. These go on sale Wednesday at 10am EST. Kinda pricey, though. Would like to know how limited it will be.

Box $107 (24 packs - 1 sketch, 1 auto)
Set $67 (1 sketch or auto)
Pack $5

Barbara Crampton appears to be the only signer. She's going to be at Monster Mania in NJ in a couple weeks, I may just get her auto there and pick up a set of these on the secondary market. With two sets per box, I think they'll be popping up with some regularity.

Last edited by dd316; 02-24-2017 at 03:54 PM.
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:02 AM   #9
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Combs has an auto in a Star Trek set (maybe a few) as well. I just watched Re-Animator again last night.
True, but he's wearing goofy TV sci-fi makeup on the Star Trek cards. On the 4400 card, he looks like Herbert West (or Crawford Tillinghast), albeit it a little older...

Dart FlipCards made a nice set for "The Frighteners". Too bad it was a little before the "hits" era for non-sports cards, otherwise that set could've had some nice autographs in it (including Combs).
Old 03-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
dd316

FULL COLLECTION INFO:
- 60 Base cards
- 9 Stickers
- 9 Behind the scenes chase cards
- 8 Character chase cards
- 6 Parallel cards

------------------------

WAX PACK - $5 ea.
- 6 Trading Cards
- 1 Sticker
- May contain a randomly inserted Sketch Cards and Signature Cards

FACTORY BOX - $67
- 60 Base Card Set
- 2 Chase Cards
- 2 Stickers
- ONE (1) Sketch card *OR* ONE (1) Signature card (randomly inserted)

SEALED BOX - $107
24 Wax Packs Including:
- 2 Full Base Sets
- 2 Full Sticker Sets
- 22 (of 23) Chase Cards
- 1 Sketch Card
- 1 Signature Card

List of sketch artists:

Nathan Milliner
Matthew Skiff
Christopher Franchi
Scarecrowoven
Dan Cuto
Brent Engstrom
Jeff Zornow
Matt Tobin
Old 03-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
jjsmallvillelvr

I know they want you to buy more...but 22 out of 23 chase cards. That's rude.
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
Dewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmallvillelvr View Post
Lol, I was noticing that...

My luck I would buy 5 boxes and would be missing the same chase from each.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #13
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmallvillelvr View Post
I get it the way boxes are configured - 24 packs, 1 bonus card per pack - 1 is a sketch, 1 an auto, which leaves 22 inserts... but they should've just made it a 22 card insert set.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
PhillyPhan

The owner of Fright-Rags has posted a box will now contain ALL 23 chase cards...
PhillyPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
frightrags

Hi everyone -

Thanks for posting about our cards here! I posted this on another forum but thought I would jump in here as well. My name is Ben Scrivens, owner of Fright-Rags, and I just wanted to jump in and explain a little more about our process and give a little more context about what we are trying to do with these cards. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I grew up collecting all sorts of different cards, I wasn't much of a sports kid, so GPK, Fright Flicks, and all the random cards for movies were my thing. Hell, I even had a brief period of collecting All My Children cards (it was one summer when I was hooked on the show), but I digress...

WHY HORROR CARDS?
Anyway, I hadn't been too much into collecting them in recent years, other than the older cards from my youth. Newer cards never did too much for me. Then I saw someone putting out their art cards as wax packs (I forget the name, but I found them in a shop in Austin, TX) and I had an epiphany - what if we could make those types of "retro" cards for movies that never had them? We had already been working with a number of studios to release officially licensed shirts and accessories, so this felt like a natural progression. We did the research and found out who could do it, and we worked on figuring out what movies we could work with and get the rights to.

As with anything in licensing, it costs a lot of money and can be a pain to work with when it comes to what we can legally do and get approvals on (which take a long time). It's a process... Starting with Re-Animator felt right because we had a great relationship with the licensor and there was less "red tape" to deal with. So while we were lining up other properties, we decided to start with Re-Animator. Plus, I love that film, so it was a passion project as well.

This being our first foray into the trading card business, there has been a learning curve in regards to how to package them, price points, etc. Manufacturing, paying for sketch cards, autographs, etc is not cheap and we are selling these in every big box store. These are smaller run, for hardcore fans, which does limit the reach and print run. That said, we also want these to be affordable.

WHERE WE WENT WRONG
While sales have been off to a great start, I did hear from people that they were upset that the sealed box did not contain all the chase cards. After talking with our manufacturer, we have been able to work out that the box will now contain ALL 23 chase cards, so it is truly a "master set" of everything available in the set. That means that one pack in the box will have 7 cards and a sticker instead of 6 cards and a sticker. We will also be rethinking our factory boxes for future editions to make sure the price and value are on par with each other. That said, each factory box is guaranteed either a sketch card or autograph card, so there, which is why it is priced that way.

FUTURE COLLECTIONS
That said, we are taking all of these opinions into consideration as we work on future sets. We have plans for John Carpenter's Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), Dawn of the Dead (1978), and quite a few more. Are these niche within a niche? Yup. But as a horror fan, and a fan of things from my childhood, they hit a nostalgic sweet spot, and we hope they do for others as well. We want to be able to provide fans of these films something of a throwback (hence the classic packaging and wax pack vibe) for things they wish they had as kids. We are going to be working on our "recipe" for future sets that will allow casual fans and hardcore collectors a chance at owning these without breaking the bank.

Thanks again for all the feedback so far, and keep it coming...I'll be reading

Ben
frightrags is offline   Reply With Quote