Blowout Cards Forums
super sox

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

Notices

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (Pre-1980's)

Old 03-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
tubby

Default Your Buy of the Week

I'd like to start a thread where we post cards we bought this week, and what we paid for them, so we can get validation from the community, or otherwise be told we overpaid. No reason why money needs to be such a taboo, but you don't need to tell everyone about your $10,000 cards either

I'll start next week when some items come in
tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
jstephens24

people just post them in 2017 vintage pick ups thread
jstephens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
tubby

They don't say what they paid, that's the entire point
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
thepointguard10

I don't know about all this.....Tubby.
thepointguard10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
WilsonCollector

This is why I have a subscription to VintageCardPrices.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
tubby

Well I'll start us off

I paid $400
1911 T206 Nap Lajoie, Portrait, PSA 4 - centered and clean, Piedmont | eBay

My logic: The card auctions for $460-480 and it's a very strong 4, should have no issue getting an SGC 4.5 if not a 5
Old 03-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
Big35Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby View Post
I'd like to start a thread where we post cards we bought this week, and what we paid for them, so we can get validation from the community, or otherwise be told we overpaid. No reason why money needs to be such a taboo, but you don't need to tell everyone about your $10,000 cards either

I'll start next week when some items come in
1) We don't need another thread showing what we picked up. As mentioned earlier, there's already a thread for 2017 pickups. I'm not saying this because I created the thread, just don't see the need for 2 separate threads.

2) What people paid isn't necessarily everyone's business.

3) Why do you feel the need for validation? If you're happy with the purchase, then who cares if you overpaid a little or what others think?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
deltaarnet

Quote:
Well I'll start us off

I paid $400
1911 T206 Nap Lajoie, Portrait, PSA 4 - centered and clean, Piedmont | eBay

My logic: The card auctions for $460-480 and it's a very strong 4, should have no issue getting an SGC 4.5 if not a 5

Very nice pick up.
deltaarnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #9
njdunkin1

Personally, I don't mind the thread. That is a solid pickup for a 4.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:02 AM   #10
tubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big35Hurt View Post
1) We don't need another thread showing what we picked up. As mentioned earlier, there's already a thread for 2017 pickups. I'm not saying this because I created the thread, just don't see the need for 2 separate threads.

2) What people paid isn't necessarily everyone's business.

3) Why do you feel the need for validation? If you're happy with the purchase, then who cares if you overpaid a little or what others think?
Because it's a little silly we post cards we bought like they are somehow unique or super special. Unless you are buying t206 Wagners and 52 mantles all the time there's nothing unique about your collection. Cards represent dollars. What makes ones collection unique is if they got good deals/didn't overpay for their cards

With 90%+ of cards on eBay being overpriced, including virtually every card probstein and most dealers post, I think it's f-ing awesome if someone can snatch a deal up. I'm on eBay at least 2 hours a day, and it's rough. The only way to even pay what a card is worth let alone paying below its value, is sticking to smaller sellers. I went through about 100 probstein listings all of them were 25-40% overpriced, and with best offer he declines every offer that isn't close to his price, same with a lot of dealers. In fact I think a lot of people are hesitant to talk money because they know they overpaid on every single card they own.

I've come to find the big dealers in this hobby make money by buying cards for what they are worth, then selling them above retail. With traditional buy/sell business models you're supposed to make money when you buy the item, not when you sell it. So now we have a lot of artificial prices going around and people getting screwed.

So sorry if I think it's really neat when someone is able to score a card without overpaying

Last edited by tubby; 03-03-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
Big35Hurt

Quote:
Because it's a little silly we post cards we bought like they are somehow unique or super special. Unless you are buying t206 Wagners and 52 mantles all the time there's nothing unique about your collection. Cards represent dollars. What makes ones collection unique is if they got good deals/didn't overpay for their cards

With 90%+ of cards on eBay being overpriced, including virtually every card probstein and most dealers post, I think it's f-ing awesome if someone can snatch a deal up. I'm on eBay at least 2 hours a day, and it's rough. The only way to even pay what a card is worth let alone paying below its value, is sticking to smaller sellers. I went through about 100 probstein listings all of them were 25-40% overpriced, and with best offer he declines every offer that isn't close to his price, same with a lot of dealers. In fact I think a lot of people are hesitant to talk money because they know they overpaid on every single card they own.

I've come to find the big dealers in this hobby make money by buying cards for what they are worth, then selling them above retail. With traditional buy/sell business models you're supposed to make money when you buy the item, not when you sell it. So now we have a lot of artificial prices going around and people getting screwed.

So sorry if I think it's really neat when someone is able to score a card without overpaying
No worries. I get what you're saying. I'm not sure Probstein is a good example, though, as many have wondered if massive shilling goes on with their auctions. I'm not saying Probstein is doing it, but others have said that people consigning to him may be bidding up their cards to inflate the prices.

Either way, good luck!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
tubby

Auctions are less of a concern than buy it nows. The only way to help people understand how much they are getting ripped off is a thread like this where we can critique each other's purchases based off price paid
Old 03-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
deltaarnet

You can find some fair priced cards if you look. PSA 4 Mordecai Brown Sweet Caporal 350/30 279.00 +3.00 S/H. Been looking for Carl Lundgren Chicago fair priced. A tough card for sure, but did find a BIN with offer PSA 3.5 399. Offered 365. and won the card.

Now for 1914 Cracker Jack Mordecai Brown. A PSA 1 listed for 599.

400.00 Overpriced
Old 03-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #14
tubby

Sure but you could have gotten it for 300 PayPal direct all day. I'm not sure what card exactly you're talking about but you tossed away 65 bucks
Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #15
deltaarnet

Quote:
Sure but you could have gotten it for 300 PayPal direct all day. I'm not sure what card exactly you're talking about but you tossed away 65 bucks
Carl Lundgren Chicago , not Kansas City.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #16
tubby

Ok, so you paid $365 for a $225 card, nice. There's literally an SGC 50 up for $345 right now (it's also overpriced)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #17
smacky

hi tubby
Old 03-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #18
deltaarnet

Quote:
Ok, so you paid $365 for a $225 card, nice. There's literally an SGC 50 up for $345 right now (it's also overpriced)

Don't do SGC and you say can find a Lundren Chicago PSA 3.5 for 225? Good luck with that man.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #19
tubby

eBay completed listings is your friend

1909-11 T206 Carl Lundgren CHICAGO PSA 3 VG (PWCC) | eBay

There's a 3 for 210, there's also a 4 for $400

~$275 value wise possibly, but I wouldn't have paid more then 225. You would be waiting for an auction which could be 6 months, but if you want a specific card and don't want to overpay you'll need to be very patient.

If you would have paid 300 with a direct PayPal payment, which the seller would have very likely accepted, I would have said you didn't do atrocious, you'd lose money if you went to resell the card, but for "I really want this card" 300 wouldn't have been awful. 365 you substantially overpaid, there is no question
Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #20
WilsonCollector

Wow your thread is already a complete fail. Your I know my sh** BS is lame, BTW some sellers won't accept direct sales. If a guy gets the card he wants so be it, not everything has to be I could get this for x dollars so your a moron for paying xx for the card.

Quote:
eBay completed listings is your friend

1909-11 T206 Carl Lundgren CHICAGO PSA 3 VG (PWCC) | eBay

There's a 3 for 210, there's also a 4 for $400

~$275 value wise possibly, but I wouldn't have paid more then 225. You would be waiting for an auction which could be 6 months, but if you want a specific card and don't want to overpay you'll need to be very patient.

If you would have paid 300 with a direct PayPal payment, which the seller would have very likely accepted, I would have said you didn't do atrocious, you'd lose money if you went to resell the card, but for "I really want this card" 300 wouldn't have been awful. 365 you substantially overpaid, there is no question
Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #21
tubby

The intention isn't to ridicule anyone. It does affect us though when you overpay, because you're giving validation to the dealers who ripped you off, so they can continue doing it. If people stopped overpaying for cards, even a small amount, dealers like probstein might stop existing. the business model of reselling vintage cards for a living doesn't really make sense anyways.

Nice card and all I just work hard for my money and I know a lot of the hobby is older gents with some serious cash who don't care about prices, but I'm not old and retired. If it's a card you really really want sometimes you have no choice. I did that a few months ago I paid $4800 for a t206 cy young portrait PSA 6, when the same card sold for 4K on heritage a year earlier, but the young is my favorite card in the set

That's ok once in a while but doing that regularly is catastrophic
Old 03-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #22
WilsonCollector

Quote:
The intention isn't to ridicule anyone. It does affect us though when you overpay, because you're giving validation to the dealers who ripped you off, so they can continue doing it. If people stopped overpaying for cards, even a small amount, dealers like probstein might stop existing. the business model of reselling vintage cards for a living doesn't really make sense anyways.

Nice card and all I just work hard for my money and I know a lot of the hobby is older gents with some serious cash who don't care about prices, but I'm not old and retired. If it's a card you really really want sometimes you have no choice. I did that a few months ago I paid $4800 for a t206 cy young portrait PSA 6, when the same card sold for 4K on heritage a year earlier, but the young is my favorite card in the set

I get it, but you didn't go about it the right way. I'm sure most collectors were turned off by your post that's all.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #23
tubby

They should be, it's a harsh reality. And I know overpaying is extremely common because there's no way these places should even be in business. Deans cards is probably the most offensive example I've seen to date

So by people posting what they paid for stuff we can at least open a dialogue about this issue and people including myself get some knowledge out of it. Nobody ever talks prices so maybe some guys really don't realize they're getting scammed all the time
Old 03-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #24
schrageg

Quote:

The problem with your thread is encapsulated right here. You yourself admit to "overpaying" by 20% and justifying it because "the young is my favorite card in the set." That's what happens, people pay what they will pay for a card that they want. In fact, this entire thread seems to really be "You paid more than what Tubby would have paid" because you seem to set what the card is "worth" at what you'd pay for it, not for what it sells for (which, what it sells for is sort of the basis of "worth" in a market economy).

I too get what you're trying to do, and it makes sense, but the way you're going about it (and the tone) is just off.
schrageg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #25
tubby

I don't know how else to tone it. It's not a happy subject. And yes, I'm guilty of it to an extent. I think the issue is when these people overpay and don't realize it, and eventually sell the card expecting to get their money back. That's why all these eBay listings have seemingly been up for a year.

Theres a few times to bring the wallet out, and that's when the card is so rare people do not lose money on rare cards. I'd rather buy a t206 Wagner then a 2nd house. I will overpay for a Wagner all day if I had the money because I've never seen someone lose money on one. Unfortunately most cards with the advent of the internet aren't rare at all, so rarity is largely an extinct concept.

If anyone is looking at an eBay listing I'd be glad to give my free opinion on the card, there are deals out there if you look hard. A little money to be made, not a ton, but some dinners