Blowout Cards Forums
2017 nat

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-16-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
fastfood

Default Rant about Topps Star Wars Products

Is it just me, or is Topps more/less putting out the same kind of sets, every few months, with little more that "some" variation. The same signers seem to be doing autos, and it seems that Topps has been using the same exact picture for several of the signers. Also, the chances of pulling a big name auto still seem to be at the 5% level while the bulk of the autos are of very minor characters.

I'm a huge Star Wars Fan and don't want to come off as being a hobby snob, but I'm seeing virtually duplicate sets coming out, and the coins/stamp/medallions gimmicks don't seem to work for me. Sketch cards used to be cool, but the insert rate for them are on the sharp decline (not to mention quality). This problem stems from the artists they hire to do the sketches, hardly any money for doing them, and it's one less check they have to cut for a hired freelance employee.

The trend for the recent sets has also led to the discount in some cases by 60+% of card sets that were released a mear 2 years ago.

Also, when some of these sets come out, the company seems to have no intents on making a new design (hence the announcement of being printed in the Heritage style) or totally rereleasing an old idea that wansn't successful almost 40 years ago (the sugar Free gum product).

Try something new, hire decent help, do the distance to get ultra rare autos (Portman, McGregor, etc . . . ) This is just a cry out to make Star Wars Collecting fun agan . . . there must be more stuff to make out of the entire Star Wars universe, the company must take an effort to make this happen.
fastfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Nicnac

This topic comes up every once in a while.

Unless you can peek directly at Topps financials, there is nothing you can observe that will affect the way they continue to make Star Wars product.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
Ty Hope

The only answer is to stop buying them.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #4
joudenjouden

I just don't understand why there is no creativity. Make new relics, try different redemptions (as they now own SW Authentic why not insert a couple 8x10 photograph redemptions or have redemptions for exclusive sets of 10 insert cards), have inscriptions by the actors mandatory for a set etc. There is just no creativity other than changing the look of each set.
joudenjouden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
GFD18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
I just don't understand why there is no creativity. Make new relics, try different redemptions (as they now own SW Authentic why not insert a couple 8x10 photograph redemptions or have redemptions for exclusive sets of 10 insert cards), have inscriptions by the actors mandatory for a set etc. There is just no creativity other than changing the look of each set.
It does not make *any* sense, but there is no creativity because Disney is a massive control freak with their franchise. It takes any badass idea and instantly turns it down.
GFD18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 AM   #6
zagsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD18 View Post
It does not make *any* sense, but there is no creativity because Disney is a massive control freak with their franchise. It takes any badass idea and instantly turns it down.
This. There were supposed to be relics and relic autos (death star!!!) in 2016 Masterwork, but Disney stepped in and we got stamps and medallions.....smh.
zagsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
kerg

And yet.. people buy it.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
moistpaper

Star Wars is a potent drug!
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
kyle1707

Stopping this medallion crap and doing something different would really help...

Premier marvel.. with those nice patches and those comic book shadow boxes..

tiered them some very SP

People were paying 100's for those...

Topps needs to find away for the second hit to have some value...

Every one steals.. Do the shadow box.. bring in comics.. Hell steal the PMG thing from uD

Would cost no more then those Fing medallion cards

But do something... At least try.. Its so lazy
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
moistpaper

Yea, the medallions are so bad they're almost worth less than the cardboard they're printed on haha
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Sapphire Sports

The funny thing is what you want as a collector is not what topps wants as a seller.
Topps wants a guaranteed profit margin (Spending minimal for Autos & hits). Bottom line as long as they sell out and are profitable nothing will change.
Sapphire Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
jdhaugh11

This is obviously a huge issue, it would not be hard for the to come up with some new and cheap ideas, that actually were more valuable to us the buyer.
I am also starting to get very upset with Topps and how they no longer reveal anything until the release date, even though just a few months ago they promised to be more forthcoming!
We know so little about R1 Series 2 and 40th.
Many people have been asking on Facebook and Topps can't even tell us that they are unable to. Juat crickets from Topps!
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #13
LovelyLlamas

what's up with the card backs for Rogue One series 1? Just a big logo?

Damn, I can't help but be nostalgic for a set like Star Wars Finest and wonder if I'll see a Star Wars set that looks that good again. I did enjoy Galactic Files 1 & 2 because there was some diversity to the checklist. It's the kind of set that is perfect for a binder. Only thing the set was missing was my all-time fave Dannik Jerriko.
LovelyLlamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #14
gdelan1

They're doing to Star Wars what they did to baseball.
gdelan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #15
richo

There are a few signs they may be trying to do the right thing during 2017 in terms of stopping the over production of cards which has seen all the recent deep discounts and damage to value. We shall have to see how things like 40th and GF Reborn are before seeing if they are really changing their approach. Something did/does have to change I agree.

Last edited by richo; 03-19-2017 at 06:26 AM.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
hobbystuff

The damage is irreversible when it comes to common autographs & medallions that they flooded the market with.
So do you keep you're 10th Tim Rose autograph you just pulled or sell it for $4?

Success of new products would have to include new signers ; quality sketch cards (pay more the artists that put extra effort & time); movie relics ; short printed manufactered hits so they retain some value for set builders ; not overproduced, Checklist or true info on products before they are released.

But we all know this already.Someone just has to convince Topps/Disney before they lose all the people buying their products at release price.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #17
Wolf8MeVillie

Quote:
Topps answered this question one time on Facebook, new relics are limited to what Lucas Films will let them cut up! I guess Lucas Film still has control over most of the props / relics, so Topps can only put relics in that are NONE Star Wars used like the medallions!
Wolf8MeVillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #18
joudenjouden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf8MeVillie View Post
Topps can only put relics in that are NONE Star Wars used like the medallions!

That doesn't rule out creativity for manufactured relics. Why can't they do "Tatooine Sand" encased in a card or rip cards like A&G or redemptions for 8x10s etc. that's really no excuse
joudenjouden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #19
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
There are a few signs they may be trying to do the right thing during 2017 in terms of stopping the over production of cards which has seen all the recent deep discounts and damage to value. We shall have to see how things like 40th and GF Reborn are before seeing if they are really changing their approach. Something did/does have to change I agree.

The fact it's "reborn" aka a reboot instead of making it GF3 is a huge let down.

All they had to do was add Ep7, Rebels, and R1 and make it an expansion.

But it's clear that while Disney is giving us new content in films, tv shows, comics, etc they have zero clue about the fan base and collectors.

As an avid toy collector since I was a kid, ever since Ep7 toys came out the quality was cut so far back it wasn't funny. They reduced articulation yet charged the same, couldn't give us metallic Phasma or c3po anymore even though they do it for characters in other product franchises, and just lack of attention to detail or variety. We didn't get figures of nearly a tenth of the aliens and droids from force awakens yet zuvio and sarco plank got made but were cut from the film! It's laughable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 AM   #20
Wolf8MeVillie

Quote:
That doesn't rule out creativity for manufactured relics. Why can't they do "Tatooine Sand" encased in a card or rip cards like A&G or redemptions for 8x10s etc. that's really no excuse
Rip Cards would be fun, I guess they could have some sand flown in from Africa where they shot the movies and put that into a card. But Topps really doesn't care anymore, people will throw money at them for sticker autographs every day and all day. I mean Fisher and Baker died and both I am sure have a few hundred stickers sitting at Topps, but now because they are dead the sticker autographs are gonna be reduced in how many are distributed and considered rare and drive up the price. Really it is the consumers fault for NOT holding Topps to any sort of standard. As long as people are willing to throw money at crap, they will produce crap!
Wolf8MeVillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 AM   #21
Cujobyte

So Rogue One has all but vanished in regards to sealed. It was a fantastic set, and if they continue with smaller case quantities, quality sketches, plates, and getting a big actor or two per case, every set will be a hit like Rogue One was. Otherwise you get what TFA chrome was. Easy as this really.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #22
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
The fact it's "reborn" aka a reboot instead of making it GF3 is a huge let down.

All they had to do was add Ep7, Rebels, and R1 and make it an expansion.

But it's clear that while Disney is giving us new content in films, tv shows, comics, etc they have zero clue about the fan base and collectors.

As an avid toy collector since I was a kid, ever since Ep7 toys came out the quality was cut so far back it wasn't funny. They reduced articulation yet charged the same, couldn't give us metallic Phasma or c3po anymore even though they do it for characters in other product franchises, and just lack of attention to detail or variety. We didn't get figures of nearly a tenth of the aliens and droids from force awakens yet zuvio and sarco plank got made but were cut from the film! It's laughable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What % of the movie fan base do you think also collects the trading cards? 1% 0.1%? 0.01%?

Cards is a niche hobby.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 AM   #23
Braves_Fan

I imagine someone from Disney still has to approve of any new designs or
ideas that a Topps employee has. A great idea could be shot down at the next level up if someone's supervisor hates the idea and it doesn't get sent up as in some experiences I have seen with co-workers to make a company better .
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #24
jhssketchcards

I see points on both sides. Personally, i think the LOTR and Hobbit sets prove a valid point in regards to this... when you keep the products minimal they are hugely successful. Tops isn't concerned with legacy but rather profit. They know that anything card related with Star Wars on it will sell. Having been a part of several sets providing sketches its clear the quality and quantity of the product is secondary. If its the same regurgitated names over a period of time it will get old. The main stars signing keep collectors coming back. If they ever decided to pursue stars like McGregor, Portman, Christiansen etc, it will be even bigger especially if those were included with Hamill, Ford, Jones... I mean, could you imaging pulling something like this?
jhssketchcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #25
ForceChange77

I think some of the actors - McGregor, Portman, Christiansen - really want nothing to do with Star Wars at this point. McGregor may come around at some point, but I doubt Portman or Christiansen will.
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote