17-18 nba

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
TimBuckTwo

Default Question for the Pros..Star Wars Rogue One Series 2 cases

Question for the pros.

I am sitting on 2 cases. I feel I should open and resell the contents as there is likely more gain from that then selling the case outright.

I would appreciate the resellers thoughts here.

(And sell them to me is not a valid response LOL)
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Jackg1980

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Hold........
Old 04-08-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
TimBuckTwo

I probably should have given some of my rationale.

For what I bought them for I think I would have to sell around $1800 per to make a decent profit (after fees). I don't know if they get there but maybe.

I can't sell at current box price because I still don't see the value to me after fees.

If I bust I may not get all winner sketches and I am keeping autos so no resale in those.

I think I was very fortunate with my first case on sketches but know not all cases are created equal and the 2 I have left are not from the same shipment as the first.

Maybe hold for now but it is very tempting for me to break. Would sure like to hit a triple!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:13 AM   #4
Wolf8MeVillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBuckTwo View Post
Question for the pros.

I am sitting on 2 cases. I feel I should open and resell the contents as there is likely more gain from that then selling the case outright.

I would appreciate the resellers thoughts here.

(And sell them to me is not a valid response LOL)
Honestly even high end sketches have lost quite some value over time due to them being in EVERY product now. Some times you have to sit on some of this stuff opened for months even a year before go get a decent offer. I used to crack cases and keep the nice sketches, but I have changed my collecting and sold off some nice Glebe sketches that used to fetch $500+ that now sell for $250... so not to knock Star Wars, but unless you got them direct or at a really good price, unless you hit a huge hit, prices, EVEN on top name sketches will go down!
Wolf8MeVillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
Angus Con

Something to consider is the plethora of Star Wars releases though. Will this product still be popular once the next one comes out? I would say it's unlikely. If it were a stand alone release (like a Star Trek movie or Guardians of the Galaxy for example) or if it had a couple of unique cards in it (like an autograph or two), I think it would be fine. Me, I would be concerned that the product's value is going to go down significantly once the next product comes out (like say the 40th anniversary release as an example).
Old 04-09-2017, 12:46 AM   #6
moistpaper

Hoooold!
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
TimBuckTwo

Yes Angus I am concerned with your thinking exactly as well. Thanks
Old 04-09-2017, 01:10 AM   #8
Brobocop

Weren't these boxes the hottest thing in a while? Now they are back down to earth and one could argue these are on-par, if not better, than Series Two since you get on card Felicity Jones autographs in these.

2016 Topps Star Wars Rogue One Hobby Box - $87.95 : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:21 AM   #9
Angus Con

I was speaking more to the question about holding vs. moving now. Obviously right? haha As far as moving a case vs. busting and moving singles, depends on how much time you have too. Moving a bunch of singles requires a lot more time up front to scan, upload pics, and type up descriptions along with making sure you have plenty of supplies on hand. And if you do BIN's, you will still need plenty of patience. If you do auctions, prices will be all over. And your odds go up that you will get screwed around by some bidders if you move singles. I doubt these are things you haven't already thought about; just laying them out.

It's hard for me because I rarely buy boxes or cases. But when I do, I always break them open. It's the collector in me. Can't help it. But I also don't do it for a living at all; so, I can be patient to move whatever I don't want for my PC. And when I occasionally buy a single to flip, it's only been because a dealer doesn't know the market they are selling in very well and even then, I still have to be patient. Only on rare occasions will you have that thing that everyone wants. So if you need to recoup money quicker than not, I would go with selling the cases and try to get it done while the hype is all over it and this product is still the prom queen.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:48 AM   #10
aggie4ever

I don't think you can go wrong either way, either opening them or holding them. And worrying about prices dropping when the next set comes out is a little premature... the next set doesn't come out for at least a month, so you have plenty of time to decide.

A little confused by your math though... you need to sell a sealed case for $1800 to make a decent profit? But you think opening the case you will get more than $1800? That might be optimistic, especially as prices on autographs and parallels fall as more hit ebay. Nice sketch cards won't fall in price much (if you sell them the right way, and don't list them starting at $0.99 at auction). A nice case will probably have $1800+ worth of cards... but I think an average case will have more like $1200-1500.

Also, as far as comparing to Series 1, Series 2 is far better because you get a lot more sketch cards and print plates per case, and that's why boxes shot up so much more (I don't think Series 1 ever went up past $100/box). Even though Series 1 had better odds on hitting the big autos, plus on-card Felicity autos, the additional sketch cards and print plates more than make up for them. I estimate that the average Series 1 case has about $1000 worth of cards, and that's around where the price has pulled back to.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:15 AM   #11
aschade

I would sell the boxes now while you can or you may have to wait a while. I missed out on these and am still looking for a case so depending on your price I might be interested in them. At $120+ its not worth breaking in my opinion, and you are better off getting singles.

I did really well in Series 1, and have noticed Sketch card prices have tanked since that release. I also just noticed some of the sketches I sold, the buyer just resold them at half the price. Sketches that were getting $100 are lucky to get $50 now so keep that in mind. There was one huge buyer of sketches from R1 and I think he is no longer buying them and now selling his collection instead.

I finally sold my Jones Black R1 Autograph tonight and have been looking at her new auto prices on ebay. I need the base R1 for my set and want to try to wait till prices bottom out. By my count she has at least 61+ Autographs in Series 2 and only 4-5 have surfaced on ebay which is strange. I have also seen very few pulled. This makes me believe that at 375 cases less than 100 have been opened. I wouldn't be surprised if Topps held a lot back and in the next few weeks you will see stores getting restocks in.

Also keep in mind Sets in a few weeks won't go for much. Retail is mass produced so the limited production is out of the equation for sets.

Long story short sell now as Rogue One is hot due to this release and the DVD coming out. Once the new movie comes out people will lose interest in this product and prices will fall even more.
aschade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:39 AM   #12
Ferg1945

The thing about Rogue One is that it is a one and done movie. It's hot now due to just being released. The DVD just released so the movie is getting more hype. Soon attention will swing over to The Last Jedi and those releases. And next year the Han Solo movie.

Jyn Erso/Felicity Jones will always be popular... but popular enough to kepe the case/box prices up?
Ferg1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #13
richo

Honestly, I think this release might be close to a high water mark. It will always hold good value sealed due to the small run, so hold is a fair option too, but in terms of return, just remember the focus and market can move on and we have things like The Last Jedi coming that will take everybody's attention later in the year, so Rogue One won't be as hot later this year onwards in my view.

From the breaks I have seen, I think most cases have a very good return of product inside. Maybe open one case, see how you do on hits and return, then keep the other sealed. Happy medium!

Tough call, good luck!
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapdee View Post
Sell sealed boxes or cases right now - you won't get better money, market is getting flooded!
"Market is getting flooded" is usually the WORST time to sell...

If a product is popular, sealed boxes and cases always become difficult to find. Whether or not the price of these goes up depends on if there is something special in this product that cannot be replicated in the future. I think the answer to that question is "no", but I'm not an expert on SW products.

There are risks either way. I think your questions are
1 Do you sit on thsee forever hoping the price goes up
2 Do you sell sealed now and cut your losses (need the money for something?)
3 Do you open them, keep the autos, place some value on the enjoyment of doing that, and sell what you don't want to recoup what you can

There is no easy answer, but if you want to sell them sealed there probably is some opportunity to wait until something happens that night spur an interest in one of the big autographs again. If you need the money now, sealed is definitely safer and faster.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
hobbystuff

Once I tried to hold on to a case of Star Wars Galaxy 6 when the prices were increasing fast after I had already opened 3 cases.That lasted 5 hours and then I opened the 4th case.Had a blast opening everything.
Life is too short.If you like opening and want to keep some hits for your PC, open everything you can get since the product is the best its been in a while.You can't really lose with this at 1 sketch per box; 7-8 autos per case along with everything else.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
daviswr7

I'm also a big believer in the "life is short" mentality. Crack it
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #17
joudenjouden

I agree with the top couple posts. Break one case, if you truly are in this hobby to just make money or something... don't be in this hobby. This is one of the hottest releases in a long time, so I'd just enjoy getting two hits per box, and I'm sure you'll get some great sketches and suits. As for the other case, it's hard to tell whether to sell now or hold. In a few months, people's attention will be on other products. If you are going to hold for a while then sell, you're gonna have to wait until we get to the "TFA Chrome/JvS Perspectives" part of this cycle in about a year or 1.5 years, then pull this out as some of the last sealed product around.

Then again, I'm always biased to just opening cause that's what this hobby is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #18
Vapdee
Banned

Just completed an ebay auction for $112.50 plus $6.99 shipped for a single box, let's see if the guy pays or waits to see if the price keeps going down now that the weekend is ending along with some of the hype...and now with some of the ambiguity of what might be released to restock some vendors, what will be at Star Wars Celebration The Ultimate Fan Experience - Star Wars Celebration ? April 13 - 16, 2017 , what sellers who were at large card shows over the weekend come back to their shops with, what sellers whose boxes were derailed, what other stories have there been over the weekend - did I miss any...

Oh, update on that jerk here on LI that looks like a Mini Me version of Gallagher, had a friends wife call today and she was told well well $130, that product is hot, fire and she then asked him what that gets her...and he stammers, grabs a box and just regurgitates that there are 2 hits, short print this and that, 24 packs....this guy is the worst, cannot wait for when we have one of his regulars call and he is like, well not much sold over the weekend - was getting 120-130 but for you, well for you, how does 100 sound...

Now some of you might be like, well this is business....and to that I would say...

If you went to buy milk or eggs, for you and your family, and the grocer was like there are three of you here and I have 12 dozen eggs and 12 cartons of milk - but its Thursday, its release day - TODAY ONLY $5!! When they should be $4... Then Friday, when people come looking for their Milk and Eggs - he says, wait a minute its Friday and people want Milk and Eggs - TODAY ONLY $7!!

Get my drift?

Card Junkies who don't pre-order get the prices they deserver - I no longer care to help!
Because their attitudes are that of the fearful addict that will not get their fix...they are fearful that the Milk and Eggs will be onsale on Monday for $3.50 and not $4....they string themselves and the market out...they whine, they complain, they make posts that are absurb, they buy up ebay auctions to hold prices to what they think are the norm, hoping they drop, they don't pay then for their items taking an inconsequencial hit to their ebay accounts, the seller now has to wait and wait for a case to open and then close....all the while, others are selling and singing a sound song of collusion!!

This ends with this release, believe me - the scammers, and they know who they are and those with tangential posts who don't collect the product but bust to support other card habits and ruin our market, aftermarket and embolden others are loosing on this release!!

Just wait to see what starts to pop up here and there...this release although great in the 'value' will also show the collectors - that buying AP Artist Proof Sketch Cards and Commissioning artist for One of a King ART is the way to go, to have real value in a collection, to have a real 1 of 1, to support the little guy and to slowly push away those who only bust to gamble...don't think I don't already know I will take a ton of flack from others for this and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect yours - will you respect mine?

How many of you are on dealernet? I wonder how many here have/are wholesale sellers, distributors, web retailers, ebayers, and all that overlap that I do not think is allowable in contracts unless - well....

Last edited by Vapdee; 04-10-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Vapdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #19
Brobocop

Quote:
Just completed an ebay auction for $112.50 plus $6.99 shipped for a single box, let's see if the guy pays or waits to see if the price keeps going down now that the weekend is ending along with some of the hype...and now with some of the ambiguity of what might be released to restock some vendors, what will be at Star Wars Celebration The Ultimate Fan Experience - Star Wars Celebration ? April 13 - 16, 2017 , what sellers who were at large card shows over the weekend come back to their shops with, what sellers whose boxes were derailed, what other stories have there been over the weekend - did I miss any...

Oh, update on that jerk here on LI that looks like a Mini Me version of Gallagher, had a friends wife call today and she was told well well $130, that product is hot, fire and she then asked him what that gets her...and he stammers, grabs a box and just regurgitates that there are 2 hits, short print this and that, 24 packs....this guy is the worst, cannot wait for when we have one of his regulars call and he is like, well not much sold over the weekend - was getting 120-130 but for you, well for you, how does 100 sound...

Now some of you might be like, well this is business....and to that I would say...

If you went to buy milk or eggs, for you and your family, and the grocer was like there are three of you here and I have 12 dozen eggs and 12 cartons of milk - but its Thursday, its release day - TODAY ONLY $5!! When they should be $4... Then Friday, when people come looking for their Milk and Eggs - he says, wait a minute its Friday and people want Milk and Eggs - TODAY ONLY $7!!

Get my drift?

Card Junkies who don't pre-order get the prices they deserver - I no longer care to help!
Because their attitudes are that of the fearful addict that will not get their fix...they are fearful that the Milk and Eggs will be onsale on Monday for $3.50 and not $4....they string themselves and the market out...they whine, they complain, they make posts that are absurb, they buy up ebay auctions to hold prices to what they think are the norm, hoping they drop, they don't pay then for their items taking an inconsequencial hit to their ebay accounts, the seller now has to wait and wait for a case to open and then close....all the while, others are selling and singing a sound song of collusion!!

This ends with this release, believe me - the scammers, and they know who they are and those with tangential posts who don't collect the product but bust to support other card habits and ruin our market, aftermarket and embolden others are loosing on this release!!

Just wait to see what starts to pop up here and there...this release although great in the 'value' will also show the collectors - that buying AP Artist Proof Sketch Cards and Commissioning artist for One of a King ART is the way to go, to have real value in a collection, to have a real 1 of 1, to support the little guy and to slowly push away those who only bust to gamble...don't think I don't already know I will take a ton of flack from others for this and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect yours - will you respect mine?

How many of you are on dealernet? I wonder how many here have are whole sale sellers, distributors, web retailers, ebayers, and all that overlap that I do not think is allowable in contracts unless - well....
Whoa, what?
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #20
Jackg1980

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:

Get my drift?

How many of you are on dealernet? I wonder how many here have are whole sale sellers, distributors, web retailers, ebayers, and all that overlap that I do not think is allowable in contracts unless - well....
you lost me when you starting comparing cards to food.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #21
AusRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Whoa, what?
I tried to follow it...but gave up...think it's easier just to skip to the next post.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #22
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
you lost me when you starting comparing cards to food.
You think an avocado is really worth $2? Well it's worth what somebody will pay for it, and if somebody controls the price at $2 then when they go on sale for $1.50 they seem like a good deal.

Avocados are as cheap as bananas in Mexico Business is business...

I don't know what this guy is going on and on about, but if demand for milk and eggs outweighed supply, the price was go up sharply. Damn there was an egg shortage not that long ago.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #23
daviswr7

This guy needs to be voted off the island immediately...becoming somewhat of a nuisance.
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #24
ForceChange77

Anybody who thinks this product will appreciae in value ..man I don't know. There are no gigantic names in this set beyond Felicity and if you want her card, its better to get S1.

There are no classic signers in this set that will keep interest alive i.e. Ford, Hamill, Ridley, Fisher hell even McDiarmid.

Sketch cards are the same artists from set to set, and from what I have been told directly from some of these sketch artists is that there were very few still shots given to base sketches on, which is why you keep seeing the same sketch - Jyn in Hood, Pilgrims in Jeddha, etc.

Furthermore, the sketch artists themselves said they really took it up a notch for the 40th, because they were given long lead time.

So sure this was a short run, but I don't believe the scarcity is going to make any difference in the long run, because I don't think people are going to be opening these boxes in 2 years looking for a ford or hamill. But what the heck do I know?
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #25
TimBuckTwo

I think I am going to guns on case two.

Thanks for all the comments.

Gonna look for me a triple!