Blowout Cards Forums
17-18 nba

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Notices

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce yourself and read our General Rules

Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
Marvel X

Default You all gave me the bug...it now begins lol - Mike from NY

Hi Fellow Collectors,

I came across this site and started to look through at everyone's post of their collections and sketch cards of upcoming as well as past sets. I never knew anything about sketch cards and haven't collected cards since 92 when I first started with (and you probably guessed it already) Marvel Masterpieces 92' from the phenomenal artist Joe Jusko. Even at 10 I could appreciate the way he portrayed some of my favorite characters (especially the female ones ) and the way they emoted not only a sense of movement but emotion as well. I'm looking at your Wolverine #98 lol.

Thus begin my journey collecting non-sport cards from the likes of Marvel, Vampirella, Spiderman and the X-Men etc. Spent a lot of my allowance buying packs and chasing down chase cards that I didn't even know existed. I ended up stopping around 95 with fleer ultra spiderman set. I got to experience a lot of different artists that quite frankly never knew existed who have been around since the 70's and 80's but I was getting older and moved on to other things like Varisty sports, cars, the ladies etc.

Just recently I came across my old binders I had packed away and started to go through them and it re-awoken that feeling of enjoyment and awe I had as a kid. So I started to search ebay to complete chase sets that I never finished and came to realization that they still are making comic card sets.

When I realized they came out with a new Marvel Masterpiece set that featuring just Joe Jusko's as a throwback to his 92 set I knew I was back in the fold. After seeing how Upperdeck handle the set with the insane fact that you can't complete a base set without putting out prices you would pay just for chase cards I just ended up picking up the canvas set which looked gorgeous.

Searching for Marvel Masterpiece cards though lead me to this forum where I started to see the sketch cards and I loved the idea of other artists interpreting Joe's old work and thus it began lol.

I will only focus on certain characters that I loved like Wolverine and Vampirella for now but who knows what the future will hold.

Thank you all for reading my long winded introduction and I look forward to greeting everyone and enjoying their sketch card collections.

Mike
Marvel X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
Joe Jusko

Hi, Mike! Thanks for the compliments on my work! I painted the new set for guys just like you! If it helps any, I was as sorry as you are for the limited distribution. I guess the market has changed in ways of which I was also unaware. I'm really proud of the new collection! Hoping you can find an affordable set! :-)
Joe Jusko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
barberromo2008

Welcome to the boards.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Tones

welcome aboard
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
80s Showtime

Default Welcome Mike

Welcome back to the hobby, Mike!
That's an awesome set to come back to ... and there's been lots of Marvel sketch cards that have been release over the last 10 years for you to chase.
Happy Collecting!
80s Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
pac_rat_76

Hello & welcome.
pac_rat_76 is offline   Reply With Quote