Blowout Cards Forums
2017 bb hot prospects

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

Notices

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (Pre-1980's)

Old 04-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #1
REGGIE206

Default PSA, BVG, or SGC for 1951 Mantle Bowman RC?

I'm currently in the market to get a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle RC. I know for sure that I want it graded (to ensure it's authentic). I'm shooting for the lowest grade possible with a decent quality card. I just don't want any pieces missing from the card, big pinholes, or major rips.

Is there anything I need to know before buying this graded card? I'm sure everyone's preference is PSA here. Is there anything wrong with buying a BVG or SGC?

Also, other than eBay, are there other websites I should look at?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #2
rats60

Do not buy BVG. SGC is OK, but be sure to pay a lot less than PSA in the same grade. PSA is proven best for the value, but buy the card and not the grade on the holder, avoid over graded and poorly centered cards.
rats60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Do not buy BVG. SGC is OK, but be sure to pay a lot less than PSA in the same grade. PSA is proven best for the value, but buy the card and not the grade on the holder, avoid over graded and poorly centered cards.
plus one

PSA
ThoseBackPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #4
REGGIE206

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
plus one
Thank you so very much for the advice.

Do you mind if I ask what is wrong with BVG when it comes to this card? What if the actual card looks decent, but BVG graded? Have there been problems with counterfeit cards in BVG slabs?

I will be keeping the card forever. My main concern is making sure the card is real and in decent condition. In this case scenario, is it okay to go with BVG if the price is cheaper and the card looks decent?

*PM SENT*

Last edited by REGGIE206; 04-20-2017 at 11:36 PM.
REGGIE206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
bkspoilers

One factor, that should be taken into consideration is if you are going to attempt to sell in less than a couple years or this will be a centerpiece in your collection for years to come? What I see on the boards is PSA is the "top" for resale. However, solid condition cards in BVG and SGC slabs can be had for considerably less money. If you are looking for assurance that the card is in fact real, then I do think they all should be able to authenticate this iconic card. Just my two cents. However, best deals for the BVG would be by auction as some of the sellers are still proud of their BVG cards and expect PSA prices.
bkspoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Splendid

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGIE206 View Post
Thank you so very much for the advice.

Do you mind if I ask what is wrong with BVG when it comes to this card? What if the actual card looks decent, but BVG graded? Have there been problems with counterfeit cards in BVG slabs?

I will be keeping the card forever. My main concern is making sure the card is real and in decent condition. In this case scenario, is it okay to go with BVG if the price is cheaper and the card looks decent?

*PM SENT*

There is nothing wrong with BVG..... in fact in recent years they have gained significant ground on PSA. To give you a prime example; I recently sold two 1965 Topps Joe Namath SP RC's, one PSA 8 and one BVG 8. The PSA 8 sold for $26,900 and the BVG sold for $27,500. The PSA 8 specimen was fine for the grade, but had soft corners and less than stellar surface colors. The BVG 8 had sharp corners and edges with bright, clean surfaces. It was clearly the better card. A year ago, the same PSA 8 would've out sold the same BVG specimen by 5-10K++ simply on brand reputation. That simply isn't the case anymore.

In the coin business we buy the coin, not the holder. The same philosophy should be applied to sports cards.

With SGC on the verge of non-existence, there will soon be two reputable grading services to choose from..... BVG and PSA. Get used to it.... and disregard the antiquated nonsense that BVG is an undesired or inferior grading service. Those days are gone.
Splendid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
smanzari

Any of them, especially if you are buying graded to ensure authenticity and buy the card not the grade.

I actually tend to snag BVG in HE Vintage because more often than not, its cheap enough to save money even after crossing over to PSA.

smanzari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
jstephens24

yea I vote for which ever has the better looking card in the price you want to pay. Any are good
jstephens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
REGGIE206

Thank you all for the advice! I truly appreciate it all!

Yes, the 1951 Mantle RC will be the centerpiece of my collection. I will never resell it and will most likely get passed down to my son.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens24 View Post
yea I vote for which ever has the better looking card in the price you want to pay. Any are good
This is probably the best advice. Buy the best card for the price regardless of holder. If you are not building a registry or care about uniformity in your collection, it doesn't matter. I personally would vote for SGC. You get a price break against PSA examples and their grading is on par (and better than BVG). It also looks the best, imho.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
This is probably the best advice. Buy the best card for the price regardless of holder. If you are not building a registry or care about uniformity in your collection, it doesn't matter. I personally would vote for SGC. You get a price break against PSA examples and their grading is on par (and better than BVG). It also looks the best, imho.
Vintage cards look the best (by far) in SGC holders, since they have a black frame surrounding the card.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
JLayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid View Post
There is nothing wrong with BVG..... in fact in recent years they have gained significant ground on PSA. To give you a prime example; I recently sold two 1965 Topps Joe Namath SP RC's, one PSA 8 and one BVG 8. The PSA 8 sold for $26,900 and the BVG sold for $27,500. The PSA 8 specimen was fine for the grade, but had soft corners and less than stellar surface colors. The BVG 8 had sharp corners and edges with bright, clean surfaces. It was clearly the better card. A year ago, the same PSA 8 would've out sold the same BVG specimen by 5-10K++ simply on brand reputation. That simply isn't the case anymore.

In the coin business we buy the coin, not the holder. The same philosophy should be applied to sports cards.

With SGC on the verge of non-existence, there will soon be two reputable grading services to choose from..... BVG and PSA. Get used to it.... and disregard the antiquated nonsense that BVG is an undesired or inferior grading service. Those days are gone.
Very well said.
JLayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
I only pull for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid View Post
You're joking, right?
BVG will never bring premiums over PSA or SGC.
I only pull for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #14
rednecksims

Send a message via Yahoo to rednecksims

Buy the card not the slab.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #15
REGGIE206

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I ended up buying a PSA 1. It is a 40th birthday present from my wife. Story here in the baseball section: http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...ream-card.html
Old 05-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
Leon

+1. I will not buy BVG for resale any longer and will ONLY buy any of their cards at huge discounts or I won't buy them. Their value in the marketplace, for anything but new cards (*it seems) is sorely lacking.

and to the OP, cool other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by I only pull for View Post
You're joking, right?
BVG will never bring premiums over PSA or SGC.

www.luckeycards.com
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote