Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
kyaa

Default What is up with people who want your card but are unwilling to make an offer for it?

In the past few weeks I have increasingly grown frustrated with a certain type of person within the hobby--the person who wants to buy your card but is unwilling to actually make an offer on it.

I'll post cards on here with a price like $25 obo and up to 50 available and often the majority of messages I receive will not include offers, but instead ask "how much do you want for it" or "what's the lowest you can go?"

Even if I reply by saying "I'm not sure, I'm going see what offers I get and make a decision so feel free to make an offer" more often than not it seems like the potential buyer will not respond rather than make an actual offer.

As someone who is generally direct and blunt, I can't stand this coy, inefficient back and forth. Now, I know a contrarian might pipe up and say "if you're so direct, why not just name a price for you card?" Well that's because sometimes it's hard to get a sense of what people are willing to pay and hearing offers can help gauge where the market is. I think a seller asking for offers is very different than a buyer who wants a card, has a pretty good idea of what they are willing to pay for it, but is unwilling to share that info with a seller.

I suppose my questions are, does anyone else hate dealing with these people who won't make offers as well? Is there any "reluctant offer maker" out there who is willing to defend their conduct?
kyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Davesportscards

Reply with; "What's the most you'll pay?"
Old 05-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #3
chezball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Reply with; "What's the most you'll pay?"
or "I don't bid against myself"
Come say that to my face/tb071885
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
tkraft24

Trust me, you don't want to hear their offer. They don't want your card, they want the profit after stealing your card.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Orangejello727

Its such a 2 way street. As soon as you put $25 or best offer.. its a sign that you are willing to either go lower or negotiate. A buyer probably has a number but doesnt state it because now is a negotation game trying to figure who has the lower number. Say your number is $20. His is $22. They rather you state $20 than have them offer $22 in order to get the best deal.

Then there are those who take offense to low offers as low balls. So buyers shy away from offering a number. I personally will offer a pretty low number to start the bargaining. I mean why cut myself at the knees by starting high? Who does that?
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
griffan15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
Its such a 2 way street. As soon as you put $25 or best offer.. its a sign that you are willing to either go lower or negotiate. A buyer probably has a number but doesnt state it because now is a negotation game trying to figure who has the lower number. Say your number is $20. His is $22. They rather you state $20 than have them offer $22 in order to get the best deal.

Then there are those who take offense to low offers as low balls. So buyers shy away from offering a number. I personally will offer a pretty low number to start the bargaining. I mean why cut myself at the knees by starting high? Who does that?
Basically this. They are hoping you start with a number low enough for them.
griffan15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
seabass97166

This annoys the crap out of me too. Just make a freakin offer pal, it says OR BEST OFFER!!! It's right there, use it. Make an offer, I counter, we meet at a price.

In my experience, whoever asks that question isn't going to be the buyer no matter what.
seabass97166 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
poppincurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyaa View Post

As someone who is generally direct and blunt, I can't stand this coy, inefficient back and forth.
Well you say you are direct/blunt, but then leave your price up in the air... lol.

I prefer people to just list the price they want for an item. I don't like to haggle. "Obo" means clearly you'll take less, but from a buyer's perspective it's a hassle, particularly here where you have to actually talk to people back and forth. It's easier on eBay when you don't have to message someone, much less awkward IMO.

Everyone has a "bottom line" on items they'll take, I prefer to just list it for X amount, and if no one is interested, eventually lower it.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
The_Reverend

What's the lowest you will take is the worse. I usually stop negotiating once I have set a fair price based on eBay closes and discounts on cards THEY are looking for then back and forth cherry picked by beguns. I simple say thanks for the interest and stop negotiating. My time to pull, research and set price usually not even considered. My ignore list has grown because of this.

I ONLY TRADE PAYPAL UNLESS THREAD SAYS OTHERWISE
The_Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #10
Branesergen

Quote:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree 100%. It's the same reason a seller puts obo. A buyer wants to pay the least amount and a seller wants to get the most. Just put $25, if it's reasonable people will buy it, if not people will say "take 20 for it?" Same rant could apply to sellers who put obo.
Branesergen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #11
rats60

What is even worse is guys who want to buy your card that you don't have for sale and want you to put a price on it. If I had a price, it would be listed for sale. I agree with a lot of the above. Buyers who don't have a buy price aren't really interested in buying.
rats60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
rcmb3220

There's really no need to add OBO for a price. Just list it at $25, you'll get offers. If the price is firm, however, then that should be stated. I've sold a bunch of stuff on facebook and a few things on here and I don't recall getting many, if any, "what's your lowest price?" comments/IMs.

ETA: I was assuming you were talking about msg board / facebook transactions. Ebay is a whole different thing in this case.

Last edited by rcmb3220; 05-19-2017 at 01:25 PM.
rcmb3220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #13
tkraft24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmb3220 View Post
There's really no need to add OBO for a price. Just list it at $25, you'll get offers. If the price is firm, however, then that should be stated. I've sold a bunch of stuff on facebook and a few things on here and I don't recall getting many, if any, "what's your lowest price?" comments/IMs.
I definitely agree about OBO being unnecessary. It's basically saying I have no intention of selling my card for the stated price. Some buyers just have to know your true asking price so they can make sure to offer a few bucks less.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
StlScott

Buyers and sellers shouldn't expect the others to reasonable. If you put best offer and they lowball you then you got their best offer! It is about your expectations.

As a buyer, I finally got myself to not get angry over sellers how list something as a buy it now for 2-3 times the going rate. I thought how stupid of them to even list it. It wont sell! Translation: I will sell you the card only if I can screw you over. The other is when they do a OBO for $25 and I offer $20. They counter with $24. This is a waste of both of our times. Not something I want to take time to worry or get mad about. Life is too short...
Old 05-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
jeeep

ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppincurbs View Post
Well you say you are direct/blunt, but then leave your price up in the air... lol.

I prefer people to just list the price they want for an item. I don't like to haggle. "Obo" means clearly you'll take less, but from a buyer's perspective it's a hassle, particularly here where you have to actually talk to people back and forth. It's easier on eBay when you don't have to message someone, much less awkward IMO.

Everyone has a "bottom line" on items they'll take, I prefer to just list it for X amount, and if no one is interested, eventually lower it.
You are absolutely 100% correct. I offered an ebay seller $2.25 for a card he had listed for $3.99 OBO with 3 bucks shipping, which i thought was fair. He countered me with $3.95 which i quickly responded with a big "no thanks". He came down 4 cents, i couldn't believe that, as a said to myself, WTF is that about? I bought the same card the following week at a local card show for $2.00. My point is this.....my first offer is my last offer. That is what i am willing to pay. I think most buyers share my point of view.
jeeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #16
REGGIE206

Quote:

This. I honestly do it with cards I'm interested in and it says "or best offer". Don't get me wrong, if the BIN price is right and I don't want the card to get away, I'll hit the BIN button. But if it's a card I can negotiate with, I will ask the seller exact how much the seller is willing to sell it "right now". If the sellers answer is "my BIN price", then I will respect that answer. But a majority of the time, the seller will respond with a lower price and if it's in my price range, I shoot the seller that price and they accept. If I want it for a lower price and I can take the chance to be patient with buying it, I'll say: "The most I can go is $____. Please shoot me a message if you can ever sell it at that price. Thanks for your time." Sometimes they come back and we make a deal, sometimes they don't.

For those who ignore these messages or reply with sarcastic comments, you may never know if your "best offer" is at the other side of that message.

When my wife & I bought my 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 1, this is how our conversation started and ended:

ME: Hello. I'm very interested in your card and I'm curious to know exactly how much you would take if I buy it right now? I hope to hear from you soon.

SELLER: The lowest I can go is $2950. Thank you for your interest.

ME: Wow. We're really close. I can do $2800 right now.

SELLER: I can do that without the eBay & Paypal fees. But $2800 is too low for me.

ME: I'll help with the fees and up my offer to $2850, but that is the most my wife will let me spend. It's for my 40th birthday. =)

SELLER: I can do $2850. Shoot me the offer and I'll approve it. Happy 40th birthday and enjoy the card!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #17
kyaa

Lots of good advice here so thanks to those of you who offered it. And yes, I get mighty frustrated by some of the other things you're describing too. This kind of thing makes me feel torn about selling on Blowout as a whole.

Sometimes I have quick and fair transactions that work out great and are almost as easy as selling on eBay. But then of course here you also get a level of flakiness, rudeness, condescension, etc. that rarely manifests itself on eBay. I suppose I just have to decide if putting up with the bad is worth the good, or if there are ways to minimize the level of crap to deal with as a seller here.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #18
kyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppincurbs View Post

Did you not even bother to read the next sentence after the one you quoted?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #19
theflushingmets

"What's the lowest you will go" gets a non response from me 100% of the time.

The buyer knows what he wants and starts low
The seller knows what he wants and sells high

People that grasp that concept get deals done

Asking how low someone is willing to go without offering a number to start with is just silly. I mean how often could that really work?
Also looking for Any cool Matt Moore cards i don't already have, plus newer Mets stuff.
theflushingmets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #20
mcsd121

Send a message via AIM to mcsd121

If you list "OBO" your clearly willing to take less than your asking price. Ask what you want and ignore lowball offers.
mcsd121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:21 PM   #21
REGGIE206

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflushingmets View Post
"What's the lowest you will go" gets a non response from me 100% of the time.

The buyer knows what he wants and starts low
The seller knows what he wants and sells high

People that grasp that concept get deals done

Asking how low someone is willing to go without offering a number to start with is just silly. I mean how often could that really work?
Honestly, it works for me a lot. I seriously think it's all about the approach.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong about it. No different than buying a car. We all know the price is negotiable. I do the research before I enter the car dealership and I know exactly how much I am willing to spend. I always let the car dealer give me a price first and hope it is lower than the price I have in mind. If it is, then the negotiation goes quick. If it is higher, then I will work my way down to my price range. How many times do we (as car customers) ask the car salesman: "So what is the best price you can sell me this car?" If so, that is no different than how some of these buyers are approaching cards on eBay.

Have you ever dealt with a douchey car salesman? I have.. and when I did, I told myself I would rather take my money and business elsewhere, even if it meant spending slightly more. Customer service means a lot to most people. I will drive that extra mile and spend slightly more for good customer service. No different than eBay.

If you don't like answering the "How low can you sell this to me?" question, then give them a simple answer of: "My Buy It Now Price". Buyers like myself still respect that. Sometimes, the buyer just want to see if they can get the card slightly lower.. if they cannot and they really want the card, they still end up clicking the "Buy It Now" button. I've done it many times. I've even had a seller reply with a price a dollar less than the BIN price and I took it. Shoot, it saved me a dollar.. better than nothing when I knew I would of bought it for the BIN price.

Just something to think about.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #22
Bob Loblaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeep View Post
You are absolutely 100% correct. I offered an ebay seller $2.25 for a card he had listed for $3.99 OBO with 3 bucks shipping, which i thought was fair. He countered me with $3.95 which i quickly responded with a big "no thanks". He came down 4 cents, i couldn't believe that, as a said to myself, WTF is that about? I bought the same card the following week at a local card show for $2.00. My point is this.....my first offer is my last offer. That is what i am willing to pay. I think most buyers share my point of view.
I disagree - ebay allows 3 opportunities to negotiate. I rarely lead with my best offer because I know that the seller knows that HE has 3 changes to negotiate. Therefore, HE'S not going to put his best price out there first.

That being said, the 4 cent drop is a dick move.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #23
Ray27Ray52

If I have a card up for $20 delivered and someone asks what my lowest is or what my best price is I always reply with $300 delivered but I'll let it go for $20.
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.
Ray27Ray52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #24
HadWayTooMuch

OBO works well for cards that might change in value. For example, we'll use Anthony Alford. Say I have a Gold auto on there last night.

We'll say I'm asking 125% of value OBO
Last night, I would take say 85% of value.
He gets recalled, the market starts to move hopefully upward.
He has a big game.
Now someone hits BIN or offers me say 110%.

If I had just put say 95% of value on it, it would have sold easily after the big game.

This is a way to maximize your return if a player gets recalled.
HadWayTooMuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #25
WillBBC

I just tell them to make an offer. My first price is already there. If they don't want to throw an offer out, that's on them.
WillBBC is online now   Reply With Quote