Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
j_b_77

Send a message via Yahoo to j_b_77
Default How do you think they do it?

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEWAQ3aMESOI

Check this guys stuff out. How do you think this is done? I personally bought a couple of these one time, and yeah I got what he/she said I was going to get, but it was nothing to yell and scream about. I checked his feedback. Nobody was like "Thanks for the Ruth Cut!" , or basically anouncing they got something worth what these auctions actually end up at.
My theory is if they know which one has the "hit", then maybe they have an idea which "hit" is in there?
j_b_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
Brad

They likely either feel the packs for the hits or weigh them. If you have a good enough scale, even the extra weight of a sticker on a sticker auto card could be detected. I'd imagine you'd have to weigh each pack in a box/case and see if you can find patterns. The decoys might help a little, but in most cases they won't weigh exactly the same as the hits they are supposed to be decoys for.

I've heard of some people actually re-sealing the packs (after making sure the hit wasn't too good) but I'd guess someone doing that would get busted and their feedback would suffer.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
hockeyjunkie99

Default Money Money Money

He/She probaly has money to blow. They start to go through the case and when they don't pull what is supposed to be pulled they know whats going on. If that makes sense. They may weigh each pack and box......you never know.....lol
hockeyjunkie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
mwheeler27

I have posted about this before on the old board...

Nearly two years ago now, I bought several packs like this from several different sellers just to see what was going on. EVERY SINGLE PACK had been previously opened and re-sealed. What they had done was actually cut the top of each pack all the way across and then re-seal each pack once they new what was in each pack. I only bought packs that I was previously familiar with. They were from products that I had actually opened several cases of myself and still had sealed packs to compare them to.

In all fairness I must say that I don't believe for a second that EVERY seller on Ebay selling packs this way are scammers. However, every single seller that I purchased these packs from, re-sealed every single pack.

Please becareful with what you decide to buy on Ebay. A very good, general rule of thumb, "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is".
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Crash1207

I wish buyers would post what they pulled from these packs.
Crash1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
j_b_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash1207 View Post
I wish buyers would post what they pulled from these packs.
You can almost feel the disgust from some people who leave their feedback for this seller, like "what you said was in there, but it wasn't much"....
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_b_77 View Post
You can almost feel the disgust from some people who leave their feedback for this seller, like "what you said was in there, but it wasn't much"....
That's how it nearly always is. I have also learned that when someone says they "pulled the Ruth auto", they were just saying that to get back at the seller. To make him feel sorry he sold them that pack.

In one instance, this buyer that left this positive feedback ended up having to buy something else from the same seller so he could retract what he said in the previous feedback. He said he lied about it to make the seller feel bad. Then when the seller started posting his feedback in all of his auctions, he realized he made a mistake, and wanted to take it back. That seller, at the time, continued to use that positive feedback in all of his auctions regardless of the second feedback, and I'm sure it helped his auctions tremendously.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
bryun

That is a good idea... Buy a couple from him and leave feedback saying you pulled the best possible card from it.

LOL,
~Bryun
bryun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
ssc8734

Almost all packs can be searched without opening them, I'm certain that some sellers do reseal packs.
For instance Topps Chrome FB. The Rookie auto is ALWAYS the second cards from the top of the pack. The Topps Authentication sticker is ALWAYS on the corner opposite the UPC. It takes appx 3 mins to go through a 24 pack box and find the Auto. $3 spent, $18 for sealed pack on Ebay. And with Chrome FB as an example, what are the chances of getting a player worth more than $18?
There are also store owners who allow searching of the packs and some who search themselves. Most retail products, especially through a certain distributer, have see thru packs. Which not only allows you to find the Auto/Jersey/serial #'d card but to identify who that player is.
Easy checks. Does seller sell high doller Autos/Jerseys not in packs? If so they know what they are doing and your probably not getting much.
Are packs retail? If so are those packs see thru (sp?)
Are packs in scan/the packs you will receive?
I am more than happy to share any info with board members on this topic. If you want to know how to search a pack or how it is done just PM me. Shawn
ssc8734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
ssc8734

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryun View Post
That is a good idea... Buy a couple from him and leave feedback saying you pulled the best possible card from it.
LOL,
~Bryun
BAD IDEA. You leaving Fake Finds only helps them sell more for more $$$.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
Boo

Plus the seller knows you are full of sh*t because he resealed the pack and knows what he put in it!
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

or you could neg him and and call him out as a pack searcher on their feedback LOL
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
mwheeler27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc8734 View Post
Almost all packs can be searched without opening them, I'm certain that some sellers do reseal packs. If you want to know how to search a pack or how it is done just PM me. Shawn
This is exactly why I will NEVER again buy loose packs from anyone on Ebay, or sealed boxes for that matter. I will only buy individual boxes from Blowout.

I tried to stay away from responding to this post, but I just can't. Why oh why do people search packs? It's blatantly obvious...so they can cheat others.

(1) If you're doing it in a store to buy the only packs that contain hits in them, then you're cheating the people, (KIDS), that don't know better. They now have little to no chance at getting a good card, and they will soon leave the hobby broke and disappointed.

(2) If you're doing it at home to rob the box of good cards just so you can sell searched packs on Ebay that contain either no hits at all or hits that you already know are no good, you are obviously and without question cheating those you're selling to.

It never ceases to amaze me when people openly admit to doing such a travesty. If you're pack searching, there's intent to be dishonest, or you wouldn't do it at all. It's unfortunate that stores allow this to take place. This allows those dishonest people to justify what they do, even though it's still wrong.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
jebjeb1

These guys also buy $500 worth of packs at Target keep 10 of them and can return the rest for a full refund. I think it is the mfgs. fault for not having better quality control on retail packs to prevent this from happening.
jebjeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
Bill22

About 6 or 7 years ago i purchased a Cello Box of 1987 Fleer there was not 1 Barry Bonds, now back in 1987 i bought many a Cello Box and some had 2 or 3 Bonds. Obviously he resealed the packs after searching for the Bonds cards. Never bought from him again
Bill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #16
ssc8734

This board is the perfect place for this thread. Its all about information and education. Collectors need to realize the value of a trustworthy dealer. They also need to understand that Cases, Boxes and packs can be searched. And use this info to make better choices about who they deal with.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #17
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc8734 View Post
This board is the perfect place for this thread. Its all about information and education. Collectors need to realize the value of a trustworthy dealer. They also need to understand that Cases, Boxes and packs can be searched. And use this info to make better choices about who they deal with.

agree 100% because if this post had happened on the other board, you and everyon eelse posting this would have been flamed right away LOL.

i can just hear/see the cries for suspension right now
Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #18
otmack2o

This thread will not be complete without a post from our resident "pack searcher" Karl... LMAO
otmack2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

perhaps another video is appropriate? LOL
Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #20
Crash1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjeb1 View Post
These guys also buy $500 worth of packs at Target keep 10 of them and can return the rest for a full refund. I think it is the mfgs. fault for not having better quality control on retail packs to prevent this from happening.
Wow....I guess I never thought about this. That's pretty lame.
Crash1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #21
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjeb1 View Post
Locally they (retailers) won't take back cards.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #22
j_b_77

It's like someone else said. If an auction seems to good to be true, well it probably is. I have actually had some sweet pulls from different sellers on the bay...come to think of it, it's only 2. And yes Blowout is one of the 2.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:18 AM   #23
nucemcsw

What is even more disgusting is when these thiefs come to a show and offer dealers their "pulls" for sale. Just a complete colage' of various products and sports. It turns out to be a feeding frenzy to gobble up the bargains. I refuse to partake and won't do any business with them when the work the room.

I must totally agree this action is nothing short of stealing.

Even lower on the scum meter are the dealers who have boxes overflowing of packs(30-40 packs in a 24 pack box) and box/case cards of the same product for sale in their case.
nucemcsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:26 AM   #24
hargy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill22 View Post
About 6 or 7 years ago i purchased a Cello Box of 1987 Fleer there was not 1 Barry Bonds, now back in 1987 i bought many a Cello Box and some had 2 or 3 Bonds. Obviously he resealed the packs after searching for the Bonds cards. Never bought from him again
Back in 1987 the cards in cello and rack packs were placed in sequence. Most of the time if you looked at the first or the last card in the pack you could tell who was in the pack. This was not 100% accurate, but was very accurate. So, there is a chance that the packs were searched without being opened. I would NEVER purchase a box of SEALED rack or cello packs from anybody. Only way to go on this is to buy a sealed case. Just my thoughts.
hargy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:48 AM   #25
Jughead

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

rack packs comprised three wax packs. you couldn't see the cards.