FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Keep the Superfractor slabbed 9.5 50 80.65%
Bust it out of the case 12 19.35%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
dmott19

Exclamation Question about supers.

So I just won a Superfractor of Earl Thomas and its slabbed and graded a 9.5.

I know I see a ton of Threads about not grading supers and how it really doesnt do much to the card.

I was wondering if it would be best to keep it in the slab (9.5) or Risk it to break it out and display it in a different way.

Really curious as to what people say and why, Thanks guys!

Sorry I'm not sorry...
dmott19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
dachman

The whole point of grading it to show your copy is in better shape, and therefore more valuable, than others. If it is a 1/1, there are no other copies obviously.

I'd leave it alone personally. I'd be to afraid to mess with it and damage it, plus it is well protected in the slab, and its not like it got a bad grade or anything. If it was an 8.5 or something, then I would say differently.

Collection Bucket: http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/dachman/James%20Starks%20PC/
Busting Packs PC Profile: http://www.bustingpacks.com/pc-profile/james-starks
dachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
hasayrs

I say bust it out. And the only reason is because I think it would be cool to do the same thing you did with your Kindle one and frame it. If you have no intentions of that I'd say keep that bad boy slabbed.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
joan1173

I would just send in the rest of your rainbow to get graded if that is the case! That would actually be pretty neat!

http://s1213.beta.photobucket.com/user/joank1173/library/
joan1173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
pkremer

I'm one of those "grader haters" personally. I can see someone wanting to get the best possible protection for a card, but honestly, the only other reason to get a card graded is to try to sell it later at an inflated price. Being that there are no other superfractors when it is a 1/1, grading it really shouldn't affect its value in any meaningful way. It's not like you can have a better grade than the other superfractors.

Personally, I don't want to display my cards in an ugly slab, but that's a matter of personal taste. If you want to leave it in there for protection purposes, that might be a good idea. But as far as value? I can't for the life of me figure out how a superfractor is any more valuable graded.
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
dmott19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasayrs View Post
I say bust it out. And the only reason is because I think it would be cool to do the same thing you did with your Kindle one and frame it. If you have no intentions of that I'd say keep that bad boy slabbed.
I forgot to mention it is from Bowman Sterling, so its the Patch super and Ultra Pro doesnt make a display case for that thick of a stock. The Case isnt recessed enough.

I wish I could do that with this set, Those display cases are sweet.

Sorry I'm not sorry...
Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
bag0bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
I'm one of those "grader haters" personally. I can see someone wanting to get the best possible protection for a card, but honestly, the only other reason to get a card graded is to try to sell it later at an inflated price. Being that there are no other superfractors when it is a 1/1, grading it really shouldn't affect its value in any meaningful way. It's not like you can have a better grade than the other superfractors.

Personally, I don't want to display my cards in an ugly slab, but that's a matter of personal taste. If you want to leave it in there for protection purposes, that might be a good idea. But as far as value? I can't for the life of me figure out how a superfractor is any more valuable graded.
I don't know about that. I get your point though that it shouldn't add any value but I think that if you put it up on ebay there are some people out there that would put a value on that grade thus increasing the price. I remember when the Aaron Rodgers Sp Authentic 1/1 Logo was being sold raw it was in the low thousands but then Beckett graded it with a 9.5 I believe and soon after it jumped several thousands of dollars.

I'm sort of a grader hater myself but hey if the card you really want is already slabbed with a good grade like a 9.5-10 I would leave it alone for the protection alone. If you intend to keep the card for the rest of your life and want to show it off differently than by all means crack the case.
bag0bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
pkremer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag0bull View Post
I don't know about that. I get your point though that it shouldn't add any value but I think that if you put it up on ebay there are some people out there that would put a value on that grade thus increasing the price. I remember when the Aaron Rodgers Sp Authentic 1/1 Logo was being sold raw it was in the low thousands but then Beckett graded it with a 9.5 I believe and soon after it jumped several thousands of dollars.
That's exactly my point. People have been fooled into believing that grading means something. People familiar with the games that graders play know that some cards are graded higher than they should be, based on who sent them in, and who is trying to sell them. When the grades themselves and motivations of the graders are called into question, the whole system falls apart. It's why I stay away from them. Other than protection, which is NOT the motivation of most people grading cards, the only purpose of grading a card is to try to inflate its sale value later. Which I hate.

If grading a superfractor makes it worth more to someone, that is the DEFINITION of the problem I have with grading.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
gonzagacubs

I say leave it slabbed. Graded cards have always looked nice, BGS more than others, in my opinion. Especially if you have any intentions of selling it at a later date. It is more appealing in my opinion, and gives buyers a better idea of the condition of the card.
gonzagacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Isaacx890

Keep it slabbed, its well protected and a 9.5 isnt a terrible grade...
Isaacx890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
bag0bull

Quote:
That's exactly my point. People have been fooled into believing that grading means something. People familiar with the games that graders play know that some cards are graded higher than they should be, based on who sent them in, and who is trying to sell them. When the grades themselves and motivations of the graders are called into question, the whole system falls apart. It's why I stay away from them. Other than protection, which is NOT the motivation of most people grading cards, the only purpose of grading a card is to try to inflate its sale value later. Which I hate.

If grading a superfractor makes it worth more to someone, that is the DEFINITION of the problem I have with grading.
Yeah I agree with you. Unfortunately there's little we can do to convince those people otherwise. It's fools gold.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
irtazman

Send a message via AIM to irtazman Send a message via Yahoo to irtazman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacx890 View Post
Keep it slabbed, its well protected and a 9.5 isnt a terrible grade...
I disagree with the well protected part. I've seen way too many cards move around and get screwed up in BGS holders.

Personally if you were planning on keeping the card and never selling it then I would crack it out as I hate graded cards. If you may sell it down the road leave it in the case to get a higher price later
Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
dthimesch

I don't see the point of grading a super. But if it is graded a gem. Already there is also no point in busting it out.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Razorsharp79
Banned

Quote:

I understand grading is a subjective process. But I do not understand those in the hobby such as yourself. You complain about graded cards, but if you were looking to buy a card for your PC how would you determine the value of that card? For example, you would not pay 1k say for a MJ RC with creases and four soft corners and 80/20 centering would you? Most people determine the value of a card on what it is worth to them and their collection. However large or small for some, condition does play a factor in most decisions and what you finally decide to shell out for any given card.

Collectors cannot have it both ways by complaining about grading and then complaining about the condition of raw cards they buy online. It is different in person where you can evaluate the card up close before buying. Online graded cards is the best method for buyers to know what they are getting. And buyers pay for that level of comfort the graded cards provide, and this is proven by past sales on ebay and other sites. So to say graded cards does not mean anything is laughable.

And to the OP original question, I would personally leave it slabbed. The protection and value down the road if you decide to sell alone is worth it. You break it out and something unforeseen happens it will be tough to swallow, especially on a 1/1 item.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmott19 View Post
So I just won a Superfractor of Earl Thomas and its slabbed and graded a 9.5.
Showoff...

ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
Wisconsinboy42

a 9.5 is a GREAT grade keep it slabbed
Wisconsinboy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
Weiss19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
I understand grading is a subjective process. But I do not understand those in the hobby such as yourself. You complain about graded cards, but if you were looking to buy a card for your PC how would you determine the value of that card? For example, you would not pay 1k say for a MJ RC with creases and four soft corners and 80/20 centering would you? Most people determine the value of a card on what it is worth to them and their collection. However large or small for some, condition does play a factor in most decisions and what you finally decide to shell out for any given card.

Collectors cannot have it both ways by complaining about grading and then complaining about the condition of raw cards they buy online. It is different in person where you can evaluate the card up close before buying. Online graded cards is the best method for buyers to know what they are getting. And buyers pay for that level of comfort the graded cards provide, and this is proven by past sales on ebay and other sites. So to say graded cards does not mean anything is laughable.

And to the OP original question, I would personally leave it slabbed. The protection and value down the road if you decide to sell alone is worth it. You break it out and something unforeseen happens it will be tough to swallow, especially on a 1/1 item.
What he said

My Bucket
http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy166/Weiss19/Personal%20Collection/LeSean%20McCoy%20PC/
Weiss19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #18
bag0bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthimesch View Post
I don't see the point of grading a super. But if it is graded a gem. Already there is also no point in busting it out.
How much more of a difference is a 9.5 to a 10 when it comes to 1/1's though?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
dthimesch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag0bull View Post
How much more of a difference is a 9.5 to a 10 when it comes to 1/1's though?
I don't think I follow your question. There would be a ton of a difference between a BGS 9.5 and a BGS 10 but do you know how minuscule the chances of getting a regrade bumped to a BGS 10 is? You'd almost have to pay somebody off to do that. Talk to Beckett.
dthimesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #20
Isaacx890

Quote:
Originally Posted by irtazman View Post
I disagree with the well protected part. I've seen way too many cards move around and get screwed up in BGS holders.
Oh well yeah if you shake it around like a toy. However if you take decent care of it, leave it on a mantle or in a box, its as good as a magnetic.
Isaacx890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #21
The Madbacker
Banned

To the OP...can't you think for yourself?
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #22
dmott19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
Takes a little too much work...

Thanks for the awesome input though!!!

Sorry I'm not sorry...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #23
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
He lives in Texas what do you expect?
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #24
pkremer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post

Collectors cannot have it both ways by complaining about grading and then complaining about the condition of raw cards they buy online.
Simple. I DON'T complain about the condition of cards received 'raw.' Of course I don't want to buy a creased card with soft corners, but that's why you pay attention to the condition of the card when purchasing one. I'll simply ask for high-res pictures of high-end cards I want if I'm concerned about card condition. If a seller wants $1000 for a Michael Jordan card, he shouldn't have any problem snapping the pictures I want, should he?

Also, I have no problem with the concept of grading a card in general, other than I hate those ugly slabs. I don't want to display my cards in those ugly things. My main problem with grading is the the perceived increase in value that grading brings. A card graded 9.5 is somehow worth more than a raw card that WOULD BE graded 9.5? Foolishness. Let other collectors waste their hard-earned money on those things.

EDIT: Also, it would be much easier to convince me that a graded 9.5 card is worth more than a graded 8.5 card when the card is out of 100. But the OP was about a superfractor? There is no other card to compare it to, and therefore grading should NOT add value. So maybe one of the corners is soft. Do you want the card or don't you? It's the only one. Would a superfractor really be worth more to you graded at 9.5 over 9? I just don't get it.

Last edited by pkremer; 07-12-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #25
Razorsharp79
Banned

Quote:
Simple. I DON'T complain about the condition of cards received 'raw.' Of course I don't want to buy a creased card with soft corners, but that's why you pay attention to the condition of the card when purchasing one. I'll simply ask for high-res pictures of high-end cards I want if I'm concerned about card condition. If a seller wants $1000 for a Michael Jordan card, he shouldn't have any problem snapping the pictures I want, should he?

Also, I have no problem with the concept of grading a card in general, other than I hate those ugly slabs. I don't want to display my cards in those ugly things. My main problem with grading is the the perceived increase in value that grading brings. A card graded 9.5 is somehow worth more than a raw card that WOULD BE graded 9.5? Foolishness. Let other collectors waste their hard-earned money on those things.

EDIT: Also, it would be much easier to convince me that a graded 9.5 card is worth more than a graded 8.5 card when the card is out of 100. But the OP was about a superfractor? There is no other card to compare it to, and therefore grading should NOT add value. So maybe one of the corners is soft. Do you want the card or don't you? It's the only one. Would a superfractor really be worth more to you graded at 9.5 over 9? I just don't get it.
Perceived??? It is proven fact, just go to ebay and do some research on it. And the bgs 9.5 is what it is, the buyer knows this going in and will pay a premium over any raw card. The whole would be 9.5 nonsense is complete speculation that gets more people burned buying cards than anything else. If you have expectations like that buying raw cards you will get your feelings hurt more times than not.

SUPERFRACTORS...if I sold my Maclin superfractor bgs 9.5/10 auto, you do not think it would bring a premium over the same card raw? You do not think a buyer would bid more confidently knowing what he was getting as opposed to guessing or taking my word for it? I try my best to explain condition, but everyone has a different feel for cards, I may miss a surface scratch that ticks the buyer off and he drops a neg on me. The BGS 9.5 of course covers this as it was reviewed by a third party and explains itself to everyone who sees it instantly.

I would gladly pay for a bgs 9.5/10 Orange ref of Hakeem Nicks, probably could get it raw for 80-90 bucks, would happily pay 200+ for bgs 9.5/10 any day every day with a smile on my face...
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote