Blowout Cards Forums
2017 nat

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Group Case Breaks > Completed/Closed Group Case Breaks

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
houdini
admin

Question Fantasy Baseball Break Club - Discussion Thread

Ok guys,

I have been thinking about this a lot. I am going to create a fantasy baseball break club.

We will draft fantasy teams and create a league. I want it to be a smallish league so that there are lots of stars still available to pick up.

The WINNER each week gets a small prize, the winner each month gets #1 pick in a hit draft.

All other spots are randomed - except that the person who gets last in one month gets 2nd pick the next month (or first if they win).

The winner at the end of the season gets a big prize.

We will have special breaks for the post season and the world series.

What are your thoughts?
  1. I need your opinions on a SIMPLE fantasy baseball formula. Nothing too complicated our first year.
  2. I need your opinions on league rules - simpler the better I think.
  3. I need your opinions on the size of the team and the amount of teams.
  4. I am very sorry, but this will NOT be first come, first serve. My club gets first dibs and then it will go to veteran members of the forum who are known to me. Too much potential for arguments and bickering if I just let anyone join.
  5. I need your opinions on price point. I do want this to be a bit exclusive - so it will not be very cheap. I am thinking maybe $75 a month or possibly higher. This would just be ballpark as the fees would be charged per break and some may be less or more. This is not in stone.
  6. What products should we break in April, May, June, July, August, and September? Also, a ST March break and a post season break and a WS break.
Please do not reserve spots here. I will send out an email to my club first and then there will be a sign up

Basically, I want your input.

Also, we may create 2 clubs - one high end and one middling.
Descanse mi princesita 9/20/00-4/16/15
houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

posted so you can get opinions
Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
u_want_my_cards
Banned

How do I join your club?

Also, did you get my PM?
u_want_my_cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
mrmike79

Personal recommendations:

1. What site would you use to host this league? Yahoo is free and pretty well known in fantasy baseball circles.

2. League rules:
1250 Max innings pitched. 162 starts per position.

Standard serpentine draft. Waivers 2 days then FCFS. Waiver priority continual rolling list. Trade deadline coincide with MLB.

5x5 scoring. HR, R, AVG, RBI, SB's. W, S, ERA, K, WHIP.

3. League size:
12 team league rotisserie scoring
Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, DL, DL, 5 bench spots.

Hope this helps, just off the top of my head. Feel free to shoot a hole in it.

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/mrmike_13/

Last edited by mrmike79; 01-21-2012 at 11:36 PM.
mrmike79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
Reid n Owen

i'm in, I use cbs, they are better than yahoo but we might have to pay. whatever u pick i'm in.
Reid n Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
imnotded

I haven't ever done a fantasy league, but I was talking to some friends of mine about it. This sounds really interesting to me and would love to get in on it.

I think simple is probably best, as you said. And I think with a somewhat high monthly cost a smaller amount of teams would be best. Looks like a great idea and would love to be part of it.
imnotded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
houdini
admin

Keep the info coming guys - I am very serious about wanting as much input as possible.
Descanse mi princesita 9/20/00-4/16/15
houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
greenjdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike79 View Post

1. What site would you use to host this league? Yahoo is free and pretty well known in fantasy baseball circles.

2. League rules:

Standard serpentine draft. Waivers 2 days then FCFS. Waiver priority continual rolling list. Trade deadline coincide with MLB.

3. League size:
Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, DL, DL, 5 bench spots.

agree with mike...just decide if you can change the roster daily or weekly...some think doing it weekly is not for true fans...but really its much more thought provoking to pick based on matchups...the only thing that I differ on is the positions...Ive been in bigger roster leagues.. I was in one league that used LF, CF and RF...that was tricky!! I would be in on this
C
1b
2b
3b
ss
CI
MI
OF
OF
OF
OF
UTIL
5 starters, 2 RP and on P spot
greenjdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
cwbennett

I have been running leagues for a few years i use Yahoo for all mine! I always put limits on moves for the season somehere around 45-50 just so in the playoffs guys aren't dropping pitchers daily to beat others in wins and strikeouts and i always have the settings where the top 6 teams makes the playoffs makes it real interesting. BTW i would be interested
cwbennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
JDK16

would love to join but this doesnt fall under cheap hahah... gl this should be a blast.. id be in at around $25 a month but im sure thats not enough per person to bust anything
JDK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #11
smillz300

Very interested in this fantasy baseball league!!!

Last edited by smillz300; 01-25-2012 at 03:39 PM.
smillz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
smillz300

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike79 View Post

2. League rules:

3. League size:

This is pretty basic and standard...maybe add a UTL spot also for the Big papi's and Vlad's of the league and only do 3-4 bench spots just to keep it smaller. Might also want to consider a 10 team league if you want a bigger free agent pool with more stars there and on your roster . Also with the ten teams you could switch up the breaks and do a team break once in a while where each guy gets 3 teams for that particular break and depending on the product busted that might be a better way to go sometimes. Can't really do team breaks with 12 as it wouldn't come out even. Just a few ideas and at $75-$100 a month this is an awesome idea!

I'm the Commish of a $500 a man 12 team H2H keeper league on Yahoo and its super competitive and fun and the money Houdini is talking about comes out to about the same except with this you have the chance to pull some good $$$ stuff each and every month whether you are dominating the league each week or you are in last place due to the injury bug or cause your stud OF gets suspended for 50 games for a failed drug test! Lol....I wish I could talk my league into doing something like this instead cause its an awesome idea for a fun, exclusive, competitive league with the chance to get great cards and value with every break!

Last edited by smillz300; 01-22-2012 at 09:50 AM.
smillz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
mrmike79

I agree with adding a UTIL spot. Also the RF, CF, LF would be interesting. I'm in leagues where we do 5 OF's and add CI, MI. I opted not to include this just because Houdini wanted to keep the league simple and smaller. But league could vote on number of teams and roster sizes.

Another issue may be the scoring system. If weekly winners and monthly winners are being tracked, point system may be best. Weekly scoring would run Sun - Sat. Monthly of course would reset on the 1st of the month.

Something standard like:

Singles - 1
Doubles - 2
Triples - 3
HR - 4
SB - 1
SO - -1
SB - 1
CS - -1
RBI - 1
W - 5
S - 2
BS - -1
K - 1
No hitter, Complete game, Perfect Game - ?

http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z476/mrmike_13/

Last edited by mrmike79; 01-22-2012 at 10:19 AM.
mrmike79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
gr33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbennett View Post
I have been running leagues for a few years i use Yahoo for all mine! I always put limits on moves for the season somehere around 45-50 just so in the playoffs guys aren't dropping pitchers daily to beat others in wins and strikeouts and i always have the settings where the top 6 teams makes the playoffs makes it real interesting. BTW i would be interested
Capping transactions is a must come playoff time; I've seen add-drops ruin leagues.

I've run leagues through Yahoo, ESPN and CBS but always preferred Yahoo for basebell myself.

H2H, line-ups daily, minimum innings threshold.

Mike- I prefer WHIP over CG/No hitters, but otherwise I like it.
gr33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
Prospect_Man

i would use espn instead of yahoo, and do head to head instead of roto(espicially, since there will be weekly/monthly winners).....id def be interested if you decide to do it
Prospect_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #16
Prospect_Man

also, i would agree on utl spot for dh's.....i never liked being in leagues w/ moves limits, i think you should be able to add/drop as much as you want including playoffs, also think daily moves is the way to go
Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
JohnnyBeGood

Fantasy baseball is the best!!!! Count me in. Rotisserie is the best way for a complete season for serious people. Head to head is great because it will be much closer throughout the season. Yahoo is the best for baseball by far. As far as add/drops I think you should be able to do as many as you want unless its head to head.

http://johnnybegood34.imgur.com/
JohnnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
jflode

Certainly agree about ESPN. Ive been in leagues on yahoo, CBS, and rotor. ESPN is definetly my favorite. Dont know if MLB.com hosts their own leagues. Would love to be a part of this if you decide to do it.
jflode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
jabrown1

I have been doing Fantasy baseball for a few years now and I have always used mlb.com fantasy and it works really well. You can actually go and check out everything on how they do points, rosters, everything. I can do a little more research on how the best way would be to do it. But I would definitely be in on doing this club. It would be a lot of fun.
jabrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
Swivelhip

I think Yahoo is the way to go. Free and easy. I think head-to-head with weekly lineups is probably the best way to go. Baseball is a long season and changing your lineup every day becomes a headache for some people. If they don't keep up with it it
ends up ruining the league especially at the end.
Swivelhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
trouts2

Send a message via AIM to trouts2

I'd be interested in playing if this gets setup
trouts2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #22
seancoyle

This sounds like a great idea, and would be very interested in a spot once it is up and running.
seancoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
mnava18

sounds fun , id be interested!!
mnava18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #24
hmmdecloth

This sounds like it would be a fun league. If I'm eligible, I'm definitely interested. If you do head to head with categories make sure there are an uneven number of categories so there are no ties. If you are doing head to head points (easier IMO w weekly prizes) there will rarely be a tie. I would prefer to do weekly because there is more strategy, whereas someone with all the free time can just keep add/drop pitchers for every day.

I've been in 2 keeper leagues going on 10 years now, one through CBS and one through yahoo and I prefer cbs. If this is going to be a club, I'd opt for keeper league with keeper details to be discussed amongst members once formed. Scoring has been discussed and is pretty standard.

Some other suggestions I would make is having maybe 2 minor league spots and 2 injury reserved spots. As far as draft goes, auction is always the most strategic. Auction also sets player values for future years keepers. I know I know, there is no salary cap in real baseball, why should there be one in fantasy, but it does add to the fun of it.
hmmdecloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #25
Prospect_Man

agree some pts other members have made since my last post.....

1. i suggested h2h but i think H2H points would be best way to go since we doing weekly/monthly prizes

2. also agree w/ above and think at least 1(perferably 2) DL spot's is a must/ also like idea of 2 minor league spots

3. although i like idea of a keeper league, dont know how practical it would be

4. still think there should be NO limit on transactions and still think daily lineup moves is the way to go(i think every serious league should be daily/ no limit on transactions)

5. either setup, roto or H2H, will need min innings pitched(NO MAX innings pitched)....im thinking H2H 9-12 min innings per week and whatever the standard is for roto

6. I HOPE WE CAN PUT THIS TOGETHER and if we do, I DEF WANT IN....will participate regardless of setup, I LOVE FANTASY BASEBALL!!!

Last edited by Prospect_Man; 01-23-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: error