Blowout Cards Forums
Breakers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
FakeExpert

Default Can Someone Explain Ryan Mallet?

Granted, I'm not the most researched in last year's draft class, but I can't fathom the prices I'm seeing for Ryan Mallet. I see his autos selling about on par with Matt Flynn and the latter has had actual game time and will probably be a starter somewhere this year.

So why the excitement over his rookie cards?
FakeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
pryorfan2
Banned

No idea, only thing I can think of is because he plays for the patriots & some ppl believe he might take brady's throne one day lol ..
pryorfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
avjp87

Send a message via AIM to avjp87

was a solid college QB and was drafted by the Patriots and in football years, Brady is old
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Frankp2311

I think buyers assume he will be like Aaron Rodgers and learn behind a great QB. I disagree.
Frankp2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
mimi mo money

If you watched college football you would know that Mallet has tremendous talent. BUT [yup, a "but"] he's a total A-hole, and does not seem to have the "it" to lead a team.

His attitude [not talent] is what cost him a 1st round pic.

That being said, if he can just stfu and do his thing he will be a very, very, VERY good NFL QB and I think the market price for his cards reflect that.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
pryorfan2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
I think buyers assume he will be like Aaron Rodgers and learn behind a great QB. I disagree.
+1 .. I think he's gonna turn out to be another kevin o'connell.
pryorfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
kajshack

I thought it was something to do with marijuana that caused him to drop in the draft, but maybe I'm "misremembering."
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
mindbinge

plus he looks like Eddie Munster...that's good for at least $8

See my collection at: Bradshaw44.com
mindbinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
addicted36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi mo money View Post
If you watched college football you would know that Mallet has tremendous talent. BUT [yup, a "but"] he's a total A-hole, and does not seem to have the "it" to lead a team.

His attitude [not talent] is what cost him a 1st round pic.

That being said, if he can just stfu and do his thing he will be a very, very, VERY good NFL QB and I think the market price for his cards reflect that.
Well at least one person had an intellegent thought who replied.

In college mallett was a stud and likely 1st rounder above even andy dalton except he slid to the patriots in the 3rd round. The patriots don't usually carry 3 qbs but decided to this year. He slid because of the preceived attitude issues he displayed in college. The most interesting thing to come out this season for ryan mallett is that nothing has come out from him this year. Like he said and I quoted if mallett gets his wits about him he could very well be the next franchise qb for the patriots. And some of the more expensive cards for mallett selling today are short prints like the contenders you have to remember.
addicted36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
DRS78

I think people really think he will take over for Brady but he is just trade bait because of his big arm. Pats will showcase him in the preseason and trade him for mid round picks next year.
DRS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
addicted36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS78 View Post
I think people really think he will take over for Brady but he is just trade bait because of his big arm. Pats will showcase him in the preseason and trade him for mid round picks next year.
When have the patriots drafted a 3rd rounder and flipped him for lower picks the following year? Please do explain that one to me. The truth is they didn't draft mallett simply to trade him the next year and waste a 3rd round pick. That is way too high of a draft pick to do that with and beyond stupid. Bellicheck is not that dumb
Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
DRS78

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted36 View Post
When have the patriots drafted a 3rd rounder and flipped him for lower picks the following year? Please do explain that one to me. The truth is they didn't draft mallett simply to trade him the next year and waste a 3rd round pick. That is way too high of a draft pick to do that with and beyond stupid. Bellicheck is not that dumb
They used a third round pick on Kevin O'Connell and cut him.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
addicted36
Banned

The next season?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
chiefsfan101

As a Razorback fan, I can say he was hugely talented as a quarterback in college. From the 2011 class he was seen as the most NFL ready quarterback of the draft. While his attitude and ego had him drop to the 3rd round, he 1. went to a popular team with quite a few collectors, and 2. he's seen as the heir apparent of Brady. So you have people grabbing up his cards in hopes that he's the next Rodgers and resell his stuff for a huge profit.

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/General58/
chiefsfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
FLMARLIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankp2311 View Post
You do know Hoyer (Who many have said is the best backup in the NFL) is ahead of him on the depth chart...
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
ManInTheMirror
Banned

Why is this thread/conversation Mallett exclusive?
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
DRS78

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted36 View Post
The next season?
He got cut after the 09 preseason.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
longhrncardshop
Banned

can anyone explain to me what happened to mallet before the draft? i remember hearing something but i never figured out what it was.
longhrncardshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
DRS78

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsfan101 View Post
As a Razorback fan, I can say he was hugely talented as a quarterback in college. From the 2011 class he was seen as the most NFL ready quarterback of the draft. While his attitude and ego had him drop to the 3rd round, he 1. went to a popular team with quite a few collectors, and 2. he's seen as the heir apparent of Brady. So you have people grabbing up his cards in hopes that he's the next Rodgers and resell his stuff for a huge profit.
Ryan Leaf was also NFL ready but he was a hot head. I'm not saying Mallett will be like Leaf but I really don't think he is a Patriots kind of guy. Raiders maybe but not the Patriots. My money would be on Hoyer taking over.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
chiefsfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS78 View Post
Ryan Leaf was also NFL ready but he was a hot head. I'm not saying Mallett will be like Leaf but I really don't think he is a Patriots kind of guy. Raiders maybe but not the Patriots. My money would be on Hoyer taking over.
If Mallett isn't the next in line to take over, then the Patriots don't have their next QB on their roster yet. As a huge Mallett fan, I hope he does do well in the NFL when he gets his chance, but he was quite a bit to work on mechanically. His mobility is non existent, he has a tendency to take riskier throws than certain ones. And he would rather try the long throw than screens or short slant throws, which, in college, made him and his stats look good. But in the NFL will be hard. I think his ego will be taken care of being in the Belichick system.

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r189/General58/
chiefsfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
DRS78

Quote:
If Mallett isn't the next in line to take over, then the Patriots don't have their next QB on their roster yet. As a huge Mallett fan, I hope he does do well in the NFL when he gets his chance, but he was quite a bit to work on mechanically. His mobility is non existent, he has a tendency to take riskier throws than certain ones. And he would rather try the long throw than screens or short slant throws, which, in college, made him and his stats look good. But in the NFL will be hard. I think his ego will be taken care of being in the Belichick system.
Who knows, nobody wanted Rodgers to play in Green Bay.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
addicted36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhrncardshop View Post
can anyone explain to me what happened to mallet before the draft? i remember hearing something but i never figured out what it was.
2011 NFL Draft: New England Patriots take QB Ryan Mallett in third round - ESPN Boston

Pretty interesting article
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #23
addicted36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMARLIN View Post
You do know Hoyer (Who many have said is the best backup in the NFL) is ahead of him on the depth chart...
Best backup? If that was the case he only got a 2nd round tender and isn't generating nearly the publicity that matt flynn is now. As for his future he's in the last year of his contract

Brian Hoyer - New England Patriots - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Not a great sign to me considering the premeium that teams place on qbs. On the other hand mallett is signed for the next 3 years
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Razorsharp79
Banned

I have said all along that he was the best QB in last years draft, only time will tell. Everyone is looking at newton, but it is always the guy no one is paying attention to who steps up and becomes the next superstar, he has all the tools. Working behind Brady and under a proven coach only improves his ability to be great...would not bet against him...
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
Razorsharp79
Banned

Quote:
How mobile is Brady? lol..and his mechanics are fine. Guy will be a beast if given the chance...he could start right now on a number of teams and do quite well...
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote