Blowout Cards Forums
Bryce harper

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
yourmyboyblue2

Default Barry Sandes vs Emmitt Smith what ifs...

Arite, want your guy's opinions here...How many more yards and more years and records would Barry have running behind Emmitts line? How many years in the league would Emmitt of lasted before being cut and thrown in the trash behind Barry's line?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
IowaCubs1

Barry IMO is best RB to play the game, could do things other RBs couldn't with no line. I think if given better line he could have caught the rushing record and obviously would've had more years in the league.
IowaCubs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
JonMead
Banned

Emmitt will never get the credit he deserves because he had an unstoppable team. Aikman Irvin sanders and there line was so great even though emmitt is the best to ever line up at running back. He will never get credit for it.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
yourmyboyblue2

Barry is my favorite player, and maybe the best ever, he could move like noone else, but maybe Im a little old school, any chance I get to see an old bears game and walter payton play i have wet dreams
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
yourmyboyblue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMead View Post
Emmitt will never get the credit he deserves because he had an unstoppable team. Aikman Irvin sanders and there line was so great even though emmitt is the best to ever line up at running back. He will never get credit for it.
Emmitt stayed in the league way past his prime just for the record, he was selfish, self centered, and had the best line to ever play...that line made Emmitt, Aikman, and Irvin HOFers...without that line I dont see any of them being 'greats'
Old 02-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
yourmyboyblue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaCubs1 View Post
Barry IMO is best RB to play the game, could do things other RBs couldn't with no line. I think if given better line he could have caught the rushing record and obviously would've had more years in the league.
I think if he had Emmitts line he'd have the single game rushing record, season record and all time yards at untouchable numbers...he is what 3rd all time in 10yrs, one of only 3 rbs to break 1000yds each of his first 10 seasons, and the only RB in history to rush for over 1500yds in a season that had a game where he rushed for negative yards
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
JonMead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmyboyblue2 View Post
Emmitt stayed in the league way past his prime just for the record, he was selfish, self centered, and had the best line to ever play...that line made Emmitt, Aikman, and Irvin HOFers...without that line I dont see any of them being 'greats'
Emmitt played his best for the cowboys after that he was playing like Favre did because he loved the game. He is a great man the best player and a true hof as we'll as aikman and Irvin.
JonMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
King23dog

If Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith were all on the same team with a line like the cowboys I believe Emmitt would of been the 3rd string running back by a lot.

I'm a Bears fan so in the Sanders vs. Payton argument obviously Payton was way better

But honestly there shouldn't ever be an argument over this and if there is they are either a cowboys fan or stupid. Barry Sanders was a much better running back.
King23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
asujbl

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

If I was starting a team - and could only pick 1 RB in their prime - Smith wouldn't even be in the Top 5.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
superynaldo

Barry Sanders owns Emmitt Smith... Not even close... Sorry...
superynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
yourmyboyblue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by King23dog View Post
If Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith were all on the same team with a line like the cowboys I believe Emmitt would of been the 3rd string running back by a lot.

I'm a Bears fan so in the Sanders vs. Payton argument obviously Payton was way better

But honestly there shouldn't ever be an argument over this and if there is they are either a cowboys fan or stupid. Barry Sanders was a much better running back.

Love your last line...although sometimes I wonder if they go hand in hand
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
burke23

Barry's style lent itself to a lot more negative runs, although i think the lack of talent around him (and general lack of additional offensive threats save maybe Herman Moore) didn't help. That being said, between those two I take Barry. Emmitt was a great runner who could set up his blocks with the best of them, but Barry did what he did on his own. I bet no one was hit in the backfield in a higher percentage of their runs than him.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Razorsharp79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King23dog View Post

Payton is behind Sanders in my book, Payton played on a solid team with a good line... Sanders played on the worst team in the NFL with no one blocking ever.

IMO There is no comparison...Sanders played 3 fewer seasons and had 800 fewer carries than Payton...at 5 YPC give Sanders 800 more carries, he blows payton away.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
yourmyboyblue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
Payton is behind Sanders in my book, Payton played on a solid team with a good line... Sanders played on the worst team in the NFL with no one blocking ever.

IMO There is no comparison...Sanders played 3 fewer seasons and had 800 fewer carries than Payton...at 5 YPC give Sanders 800 more carries, he blows payton away.
I agree, but you have to love Payton and what he did for the position. Plus a stand up character(I met him a few months before he died). Getting screwed by Ditka in the SB will go down as one of the worst coaching mistakes ever made. Ditka even admits it
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
kdub0982

Quote:
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on here in a while. Emmitt, Aikman, and Irvin (all 1st rounders mind you) were only 'greats' because they had a good offensive line? I get your a Cowboy hater but COME ON, that's just plain ignorant.
kdub0982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
yourmyboyblue2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdub0982 View Post
This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read on here in a while. Emmitt, Aikman, and Irvin (all 1st rounders mind you) were only 'greats' because they had a good offensive line? I get your a Cowboy hater but COME ON, that's just plain ignorant.
Really? Let's see, without Aikman Irvin was nothing, Aikman could barely stay healthy and on the field with his o-line, what happens when he doesn't? And Emmitt was a straight up the hole runner, not a lot of broken tackles, not a lot of moving around or juking around defenders, so YES, without that line, Aikman wouldn't of stayed as healthy as he did(and he was hurt a lot with the line he had) without Aikman, Irvin would be comparable to Herman Moore, and Emmitt Smith would of washed out
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
kdub0982

Quote:
Really? Let's see, without Aikman Irvin was nothing, Aikman could barely stay healthy and on the field with his o-line, what happens when he doesn't? And Emmitt was a straight up the hole runner, not a lot of broken tackles, not a lot of moving around or juking around defenders, so YES, without that line, Aikman wouldn't of stayed as healthy as he did(and he was hurt a lot with the line he had) without Aikman, Irvin would be comparable to Herman Moore, and Emmitt Smith would of washed out
woulda coulda shoulda, too bad instead they accounted for 3 rings and an NFL rushing record
kdub0982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
asujbl

While I'm not crazy enough to say that the Cowboys line "made" Smith - because Smith in his own right was a monster of RB - I'd take at least 3 guys in their prime over Smith without a doubt. Alot this discussion, as it has been for years, is who is the "best" or who had the best career? Smith has alot of what he has because of longevity - and there isn't anything wrong with that - but if you said "pick your team" for the next 10 years and I could have any RB for those 10 years I'm taking any of these guys over Emmitt.

Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton

And you could talk me into Tomlinson, Peterson, Simpson, Sayers, Faulk or even Bo Jackson if you were talking about pure talent level. Of course guys like Bo couldn't stay healthy.

So for me Smith falls somewhere between the 4th and 10th best RB of all time - depending on how you frame the discussion.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Axe

this discussion is always brought up, and its a pointless debate. you are comparing 2 different players with different styles of play, with 2 totally different types of teams, with 2 different coaching styles. Emmitt was a workhorse for the cowboys, he was a huge factor in the redzone and took alot of major hits because of it, and still played as long as he did. Barry was a great breakout runner, but if he would have been played like Emmitt in the redzone his career would have been cut even shorter. this is just one comparison as to why its pointless to compare these 2greats, they were great for the teams they had, and that is all that matters.

That being said, obviously Emmitt was #1, LOL.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
88horsepower

Barry Sanders, without a doubt. In no way, shape or form am I saying Emmitt Smith wasn't amazing. He truly was one of the greatest rushers in NFL history, but what Sanders did with so little support around him is incredible.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
BostonNut

If Tony Romo had Tom Brady's offensive line he would have 17 Super Bowls by now.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #22
TheFrenzy

Oh! I love playing this game! Let's see...

- If Hitler had Churchill's advisors, we would all be speaking German!
- If Bono had fronted for Nickleback, no one would even care about him.
- If Joseph Smith had Jesus' disciples, we would all have multiple wives.

Btw, if we're asking who was the greatest rb, it's Emmitt - no real way to argue that. If we're talking about who COULD have been the greatest rb, it's Bo Jackson - no real way to argue that.
"The whole course of human history may depend on a change of heart in one solitary and humble individual - for it is in the solitary mind and soul of the individual that the battle between good and evil is waged and ultimately won or lost." - M. Scott Peck
TheFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
rynogeis

Emmitt Smith is probably the 5/6 best running back to play the game.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
GOWIFB

No doubt that Barry was a better RB than Emmitt. Emmitt is definately one of the best of all time, but I would easily take Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, and Jim Brown over him. I hate admitting that as a Packer fan but gotta give props where they are due

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
Oh! I love playing this game! Let's see...

- If Hitler had Churchill's advisors, we would all be speaking German!
- If Bono had fronted for Nickleback, no one would even care about him.
- If Joseph Smith had Jesus' disciples, we would all have multiple wives.

Btw, if we're asking who was the greatest rb, it's Emmitt - no real way to argue that. If we're talking about who COULD have been the greatest rb, it's Bo Jackson - no real way to argue that.
Because total yardage and total TD's is the end all be all of an argument? No one can argue against that? Because I sure as hell can.

4.2 YPC, 1,200 yards a year, 4 Fumbles a year, 11 TD's a year, 81 Yards per Game...

5.2 YPC, 1,368 yards a year, 6 Fumbles a year, 12 TD's a year, 104 Yards per Game...

I'll take Player B every day of the week - the fact that Player A played longer, so got more bulk stats, doesn't prove he's the greatest RB.