Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
teambutterfield

Default Are you thinking about quitting because of how many junk products out there this yr?

Are you thinking about quitting because of how many junk products out there this yr by Panini?

Panini needs to push out products to pay for the license fees, we all understand that. But, I believe collectors are turned off by these junk products push. It is not about mojos anymore. Do we really need 20 similar design of Kyrie or Kobe auto?
teambutterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
ASAPPORKY
Banned

Simple answer, No ... I don't plan on quitting.
ASAPPORKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
xavieronly1

I quit bursting Panini boxes. I opened 1 Panini box (Totally Certified) in the past 3 years, and that box was on sale in my LCS.

Otherwise, I just buy singles. Outside of Penny Hardaway cards, there are not many good sets to collect. So, if I break a box, it will be only for selling, not keeping.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
bigsmooth

No because I collect older cards from the 90's. Those aren't being produced anymore and my only problem is waiting for the 30+ y/o collectors to post them on eBay after being forgotten for 15 or so years.
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Orangejello727

I quite collecting when UD was over producing everything under the moon. Im not back collecting ever since UD left the game with their fake game used and 3rd party autographs that cannot be verfied to be authentic since they state that they themselves never saw who auto'd the card.

I stopped busting products in 1998
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
realreodeal

I also quit opening boxes once Panini took over years ago. I haven't seen anything worthwhile for the money. They need to bridge the gap between value and product offered. They price everything 2-3 times what it should be.

http://s466.photobucket.com/albums/rr27/realreodeal/
realreodeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Sikkcaden

I was collecting one of every Orlando Johnson card....but then Panini put out Signatures and I just couldn't.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
JDF5244

As a matter of fact teambutterfield....yes. Not necesarily because of "junk product" this year, but more broadly, I've not been happy with shill bidders on EBay (mac-daddy-2003), severe "depreciation" once you open a box of cards (it sometimes feels worse than driving a new car off the lot), single color jersey cards, sticker autos, fraudsters on EBay selling cards that aren't legit, extreme lag of redemption cards coming to fruition, and on and on.....
Admittedly, it's been tough to "quit" but I'm working on it!
JDF5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
UD40

Quit?

This hobby is my first love! I may get frustrated but I'll never quit....
UD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
gregnice37

Send a message via AIM to gregnice37 Send a message via MSN to gregnice37 Send a message via Yahoo to gregnice37

I'm not quiting, I actually like most of the designs and being a player collector I never bust anyway, just buy singles. I do find myself hoping sometimes that my player isn't in every new release. Its tough when I new product drops every coue of weeks and my guy has 8-22 new cards each release and on top of it could be another 1-10 1/1's each release as well. Its a bit frustrating and getting to a point of unaffordability as well even though its only 1 player
Old 09-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
NewVintageNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambutterfield View Post
Are you thinking about quitting because of how many junk products out there this yr by Panini?

Panini needs to push out products to pay for the license fees, we all understand that. But, I believe collectors are turned off by these junk products push. It is not about mojos anymore. Do we really need 20 similar design of Kyrie or Kobe auto?
Lol you're going to quit because panini isn't putting out great products? That's stupid. If you don't like their products then by vintage or something that you like. Panini isn't forcing you to buy anything.

That goes for anyone that is over dramatic. Collect what you like. If you don't like panini don't buy their product. By Topps or Upper Deck from previous years.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
airball

the hobby will be more democratic, more affordable... (low end) but if you collect high end you will pay big money like ever....

If you are an investor, you are in the wrong place....

I like the desings more now... Silo......

Last edited by airball; 09-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.
airball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
airball

And leaf, for example? For me is the same, Ive seen tons of Lillards unlicensed autos, parallels, etc.... UD the same........
airball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
hermanotarjeta

I have to admit, Panini has really driven me away from collecting current basketball cards. I just don't feel that excitement like I used to when sp authentic, topps chrome, ultimate collection, and exquisite came out - release days were like christmas day, and I would be hunting for more cases immediately.

I don't feel that desperation or motivation to open anything panini - i don't mind waiting a few months before trying a product, cause it's usually cheaper by then. Plus, there's nothing panini has made so far that has made me want to collect/save/hoard anything.

I lost that basketball wax loving feeling, and it's gone, gone, gone, woaoaoao.....

Fortunately, there is enough old BK product out there to pursue, it's just that no one wants to let any quality stuff go - it's just being tucked away and hoarded, lol.
hermanotarjeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
AbraCalabro
Temporarily Suspended

Never once purchased Panini and don't have a single Panini product in my collection, I'll continue to collect 90s.
AbraCalabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
WaiverWire

I wish Panini would have wilder looking inserts. Crazy inserts that are /100 or /50 without any parallels.

I have fatigue from all the different products, all the different RPAs, all the different parallels. All the different 1/1's. There are so many 1/1's that I couldn't care less about because they are boring looking.

They should start making NBA towels with Logomans that the rookies actually use during games. Even if they are less expensive than a jersey logoman, I'd still pay a lot for a game used towel logoman /82. Certainly more than I'd pay for the hundreds and hundreds of RPAs they churn out.
WaiverWire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
bdoody42

Panini won't make me quit the hobby ever!!! I don't break as many boxes as I did before, but I still find great singles and things I like.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
tristan20
Banned

Just hold out for Black Friday sales, you will see a TON of Panini Basketball at more reasonable prices.

Problem isn't Panini's products, its the price.

They are missing the two biggest names in the basketball world, yet pricing the products like they have them.
tristan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Nsingerma11

No...I don't worry about it. I don't complain about products I don't like...I just don't bust them!!

I don't buy many Panini cards...but I have bought a few singles here and there. I do like the PRIME Silos of HOFers etc. I still buy nice UD singles that I like as well.

One interesting thing to consider is what if UD did NOT lose their license? Would everyone be complaining about the overporduction of Jordan Bulls autos? There would be 1000s more in the marketplace. Would the prices be lower? Just interesting to consider...

If I had to guess...I bet Panini gets Jordan and LeBron at some point if they maintain the exclusive contract. It'll happen for them or someone else.
Nsingerma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #20
yaoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Problem isn't Panini's products, its the price.

They are missing the two biggest names in the basketball world, yet pricing the products like they have them.
Agreed.

Yes, I am considering to quit "busting" wax... will continue to collect singles
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
Hoopsman

Nope----------just stop breaking boxes of 2012-13 stuff. Waiting for 13/14 to start up again
Hoopsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
oldgoldy97

I quit breaking the junk. I'll keep breaking the good stuff.

It's been a quiet year for breaking.
The greatest call on BO, which I think everyone has made, is the you are a grade A moron.…Boo, 12/17/23
oldgoldy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #23
wilsunshines

Heavens, no.

Panini produced twice the products this year because they had twice the rookie class and barely lifted a finger towards basketball in 2012. Next year will be a more "normal" release schedule, I'd put good money on it.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #24
wilsunshines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan20 View Post
Just hold out for Black Friday sales, you will see a TON of Panini Basketball at more reasonable prices.
This. There will be some spectacular values at Black Friday sales this year. Lots of people with lots of product right now.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
EricMetcalf21

Just looking at some of the prices of the 12-13 stuff that was really hot say 6 months ago, and looking at their prices as of today, is quite depressing I must say.

Basketball use to hold a pretty decent premium, when there wasnt 100 SETS MADE.

lol, now it's getting to be just like football, so many sets make them all go down. Look at Kyrie wood autos for example, when he had about 4 autos on the market I sold one for 435 dollars in gem condition. Now they dont even get half, because Kyrie has 50 autos now instead of 4.
EricMetcalf21 is offline   Reply With Quote