Blowout Cards Forums
2016 star wars

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

Notices

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
dpeck100

Default ESPN is currently working on a 30/30 of the legendary wrestling family the Von Erichs

Jim Ross Tells Fans To 'Stay Tuned', Hogan/Flair Feud, More - WWE - eWrestlingNews.com

This is really exciting news! I have watched a number of these on Netflix and especially enjoyed the one on Bo Jackson. The Von Erich families story is one filled with tragedy and it over shadowed how famous and successful they were.

There are tons of stories of women literally climbing on Kerry Von Erich's car as he left nightclubs and literally fainting at the Von Erich's presence. In the early 80's as wrestling gained tremendous popularity the wrestlers began to truly become celebrities and with this came wild parties and massive amounts of drugs.

Kevin and Kerry in particular were tremendous athletes and once they began using large amounts of steroids their bodies transformed into unbelievably built physiques. Many wrestlers have said Kevin was one of the toughest wrestlers in the ring and many had little interest in working with him because of how real he wanted the matches to look and what a beating you would take.

When I first started my quest to try and get all of the cards in the best condition I could I quickly realized the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B Kerry Von Erich was going to be really tough in high grade. The photo used is from 1979 and pictures a very young Kerry.

Kevin on the other hand was first featured in the 1985 Wrestling All Stars magazine set and this is a card that could certainly gain some popularity once slabbed.

It will be interesting to see if this show adds interest to their collectibles like other shows from the series have.

Here are scans of each of their first cards.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B #7 Kerry Von Erich PSA 9. This card is a pop 2 and one of my best self submitted cards.

[/URL]

1985 Wrestling All Stars #22 Kevin Von Erich. So far none of these have been graded but I am sure a few will in the not to distant future.

[/URL]

Last edited by dpeck100; 11-16-2013 at 12:18 PM.
dpeck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
pnft17

Love 30/30 ESPN shows. Look forward to this one.

Nice Von Erich cards dpeck.
U going to submit any Kevins, that one pictured looks good. Should be a easy 8. Is t/b centering tough on it.

Does Kevin have any certified autos? He would be great for Leaf to get in some products. Have any cut autos been in products of any of the Von Erich brothers?

I do have few old DVD's from early mid 80's from Texas when Von Erich-Freebirds matches. The heat in those matches from the crowd is awesome.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
dpeck100

Yes I plan to send one in at some point for sure. This one is nice but obviously off centered top to bottom as you referenced.

Some of my favorite DVD's are the one's that showcase the Von Erich's. I have all three of their primary one's and I especially like Heroes of World Class.

My first introduction to the Von Erich's was in 1985 when my parents bought me a paperback book on pro wrestling and it had Kerry Von Erich on the cover. It wasn't until 1987 that I realized who it was when I saw them on ESPN. I used to beg my neighbor down the street to let me watch his TV is his room at 4 o'clock and watch World Class Championship Wrestling.

I am not aware of any auto's that have been in packs and it is certainly a good idea.

The Kerry Von Erich card is one of my favorites from the set and I buy them pretty frequently. I have 29 or 30 of them at last count.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
wrestlingcardki

[/URL]
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
mma138

this should be amazing .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
sthoemke

Here's another Kevin Von Erich card:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kevin-von-erich.JPG
Views:	2168
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	180507  
Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
dpeck100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Here's another Kevin Von Erich card:
I have seen one of these cards a few years ago but never again. I know there are more cards in the set but none have surfaced in the past four years.

Do you have a set?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
sthoemke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck100 View Post
I have seen one of these cards a few years ago but never again. I know there are more cards in the set but none have surfaced in the past four years.

Do you have a set?
I don't have the set. I've only seen the whole set surface once at auction.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
dpeck100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
I don't have the set. I've only seen the whole set surface once at auction.
There couldn't have been many of them made. I only saw the single of the Kevin Von Erich and it was pretty beat up.

I bet most of them got pinned by thumbtack to a board in some teenage girls room.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Eagles33

I've never seen that set before. What year is it and does anyone have a checklist?
Eagles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
sthoemke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles33 View Post
I've never seen that set before. What year is it and does anyone have a checklist?
1985. I don't think the set has been checklisted.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
dpeck100

WrestlingTradingCards.com - 1985 World Class Championship Wrestling Trading Cards
Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
dpeck100

Here are a few more cards of the Von Erichs.

This one has better centering then the first one I posted. There is a little surface issues at the bottom of the card that I believe is an ink smear from the card in front of it. This seems to be an issue with some of these cards.

[/URL]

Mike Von Erich was one of the brothers that wanted so badly to be a wrestler but really didn't have it. He incurred a shoulder injury and developed toxic shock syndrome and was never the same. He took his life in 1987.

[/URL]

The Kerry Von Erich card is located on the top row and like all cards from that row suffers in many cases from not having a border on top. So far this is the best one I have found but as you can see it really has very little.

[/URL]

I have this card at PSA now and features Kerry in his gimmick The Texas Tornado from his short run in the WWF. Shortly after his run in the WWF he took his life in early 1993.

[/URL]

This card was graded earlier this year and sits in a PSA 9 holder. He is featured on a few other cards from the set as well.

[/URL]

There are eight cards in this set that feature Von Erichs.

WrestlingTradingCards.com - 1986 Wrestling Stars
Old 11-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
SumoMenkoMan

What a tradegy with the family. Anyone have a good book recommendation on the Von Erich family story?
SumoMenkoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
sthoemke

The 1985 Von Erich WCCW boardgame has cards (game pieces also) of Mike Von Erich, Kerry Von Erich and Kevin Von Erich. I think those might be the rarest cards next to the Big League Cards.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
sthoemke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoMenkoMan View Post
What a tradegy with the family. Anyone have a good book recommendation on the Von Erich family story?
Here's one (published in 1987):

The Von Erichs: A Family Album : Tragedies and Triumphs of America's First Family of Wrestling: Kirk Dooley: 9780878335930: Amazon.com: Books

The Von Erichs A Family Album Tragedies and Triumphs of America's First Famil 0878335935 | eBay
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
pnft17

Wow, what rare set it must be. Only known card is Kevins.

Wonder who else is in it. What was roster for the company in 84-85. A full set would be a huge find in the hobby. Just seeing pictures of all the cards would be nice. Reminds of the rare Rax Roast beef set that someone had Dr. D from it.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
duwal

and somehow Kerry had a daughter that looks like this

duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
wrestlingcardki

My new favorite Von Erich......
wrestlingcardki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
Deeks

The best written information on the Von Erich's heyday, and tragedy would probably be past Wrestling Observer Newsletters. Dave is always great, but he was also a newspaper reporter in the Texas area at that time. Wonderful first hand knowledge of everything.

Cornette has some good stories in his various shoot interviews too. He never tries to bash the family, because he had no problems with them, but does tell some good stories.

What a messed up family.
Deeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
thetheham

Quote:
Mike Von Erich was one of the brothers that wanted so badly to be a wrestler but really didn't have it. He incurred a shoulder injury and developed toxic shock syndrome and was never the same. He took his life in 1987.
You are thinking of Chris. Mike never wanted to be a wrestler but was pushed into it when David died. He suffered so much brain damage from the TSS they say he was a walking zombie afterwards. He wanted to be a musician, not a wrestler.

Chris had a health issue that stunted his growth and made his bones frail. He idolized Kerry but like you say, he didn't have it. He had the heart, but nothing else.

I grew up watching the VE boys, and if this is going to be another slam on them, count me out in watching it. They were big kids who never had to grow up and take responsibility for their actions until it was too late and chose a horrible way out. I would rather look back at what they did in the ring and how they were trend setters for many things that are wrestling staples now then hear observers talk about what they did wrong.

And btw, Kevin was never great on the mic, but his "this is decency against filth" promo against the Freebirds is one of the greatest ever, imo. Written up my Michael Hayes, no less.
thetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
dpeck100

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetheham View Post
You are thinking of Chris. Mike never wanted to be a wrestler but was pushed into it when David died. He suffered so much brain damage from the TSS they say he was a walking zombie afterwards. He wanted to be a musician, not a wrestler.

Chris had a health issue that stunted his growth and made his bones frail. He idolized Kerry but like you say, he didn't have it. He had the heart, but nothing else.

I grew up watching the VE boys, and if this is going to be another slam on them, count me out in watching it. They were big kids who never had to grow up and take responsibility for their actions until it was too late and chose a horrible way out. I would rather look back at what they did in the ring and how they were trend setters for many things that are wrestling staples now then hear observers talk about what they did wrong.

And btw, Kevin was never great on the mic, but his "this is decency against filth" promo against the Freebirds is one of the greatest ever, imo. Written up my Michael Hayes, no less.

I was under the impression Mike wanted to be like David but after reading the Wiki page yesterday it appears that as you said he wanted to be a musician. He was clearly not very athletic that is for sure.

I hope that Kevin plays a role and they focus on what huge stars these guys were. It is easy for everyone to point a finger after the fact but lets face it given the chance to be these guys a lot of people would have made some very bad decisions too. I just wish they didn't see suicide as the answer.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Deeks

Fritz deserves more blame than anyone.

Sure they were adults, but everyone turned a blind eye to what they did. Fame, no rules, 80's drug culture, they were out of control but nobody could or would step up and do anything.
Deeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #24
thetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeks View Post
Fritz deserves more blame than anyone.

Sure they were adults, but everyone turned a blind eye to what they did. Fame, no rules, 80's drug culture, they were out of control but nobody could or would step up and do anything.
Total agreement here.

If people were afraid of saying anything on account of payoffs then theres a lot of blame to go around. The Von Erich boys were real life super heroes who sputtered out once the fanbase couldn't be behind them for the bad choices they made. Fritz knew his kids were time bombs. He should have put them first instead of money when he pretty much had all the money he would ever need for his lifetime. Theres a point when you have to look out for your kids. Sadly, Fritz never could.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
thetheham

Quote:
I was under the impression Mike wanted to be like David but after reading the Wiki page yesterday it appears that as you said he wanted to be a musician. He was clearly not very athletic that is for sure.
Mike was an athlete, he just wasn't a roid money like Kerry, David, or Kevin. He could work when in the ring with somebody calling the match for him. But all the VE boys let the heel call the match.
Quote:
I hope that Kevin plays a role and they focus on what huge stars these guys were. It is easy for everyone to point a finger after the fact but lets face it given the chance to be these guys a lot of people would have made some very bad decisions too. I just wish they didn't see suicide as the answer.
Me neither, but in a Cornette interview it seems that they didn't think it something bad or wrong, that they would be with their brothers. Its a sad story that hopefully is over shadowed by their impact in the sport but, since its ESPN, they will just focus on the death and emptiness of this once great wrestling family.

At least Vince showed them in a good light and with a great deal of respect with his DVD, to an extent.