Blowout Cards Forums
17-18 nba

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
anusinha

Default Panini loses NHL license, is NFL next?

From another forum:

"Believe me the Football Exclusive is being neatly contested.

You'd be surprised to hear who is in the lead.

Brian Price"

As you may have heard Panini will no longer produce NHL cards next year, according to Brian Price (of ITG, who knows what hes talking about in the industry) it looks like the NFL is thinking about an exclusive as well. Surprised to hear who is in the lead? It woldnt surprise me to hear Panini or Topps, UD maybe?

anusinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
legion624

Having an exclusive company for any sports card is a horrible idea. Competition is what drives creativity. Can you imagine how bad the already horrible customer service will be for a company that has an exclusive deal? Every card collector will have to become a stock owner in KY or Vaseline.
legion624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Jackg1980

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

exclusives are horrible. It would suck if there is no more Topps Chrome Football.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Cubsbball25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
exclusives are horrible. It would suck if there is no more Topps Chrome Football.
Or if there was airbrushed Contenders.....
Cubsbball25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
zonacats8

an exclusive license for football would absolutely destroy the football side of the hobby.
zonacats8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
legion624

On the plus side I would save a ton of money because I would probably stop buying cards altogether.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
ILOVEBEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion624 View Post
On the plus side I would save a ton of money because I would probably stop buying cards altogether.
Yep. Im not touching logo-less cards. Horrible for the hobby if it does happen.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
jubei777

is this nfl or nflpa?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
hungrycollegek

That or we see a crap ton more college football sets. Lord knows how we absolutely LOVE that stuff......
Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
zonacats8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrycollegek View Post
That or we see a crap ton more college football sets. Lord knows how we absolutely LOVE that stuff......
Some people do, but I'd say the college stuff is way more popular among basketball fans than football.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
ssbledsoe

I'll believe it when I see it. Exclusives suck for the collector, but I'd like to see UD making NFL licensed cards again.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Ajax1723

Imagine just for a second that some company other than Panini or Topps takes an exclusive NFL license.

No Chrome, Contenders, NT, or Base Topps. I don't think the hobby would recover from that.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
TheHelmutt

Dumping Panini and letting UD back in would be fine with me... as long as Topps stays in the game (UD truly is truly such a longshot though). I think it was 2009 or maybe 2010 that Topps came close to being pushed out of the hobby. That would have been terrible.

Either way though an exclusive in Football would severely damage my interest in the hobby regardless of who ended up with the license. I don't really see the benefit from the NFL's standpoint either?? You think they'd be able to make more cash off of 3 companies with LIMITED products vs signing one exclusive deal with one company.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #14
legion624

I would hope that it wouldn't last because I personally believe that whoever the company is would be losing their shirts because the majority of people wouldn't be interested.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 PM   #15
zonacats8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelmutt View Post
Dumping Panini and letting UD back in would be fine with me... as long as Topps stays in the game (UD truly is truly such a longshot though). I think it was 2009 or maybe 2010 that Topps came close to being pushed out of the hobby. That would have been terrible.

Either way though an exclusive in Football would severely damage my interest in the hobby regardless of who ended up with the license. I don't really see the benefit from the NFL's standpoint either?? You think they'd be able to make more cash off of 3 companies with LIMITED products vs signing one exclusive deal with one company.
There is obviously some sort of benefit to the leagues to having an exclusive or there wouldn't be one in all 3 of the other sports.

They don't care about what the collectors want as they're not in the card business, they just care about what's best for THEM.

My guess is if there is an exclusive deal, it wouldn't last very long as it would destroy the football side of the hobby and that company would struggle because of it, thus opening it back up to multiple companies again
Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
jumbogorilla

Leaf is about to get a license, right?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #17
ChicoCheese

Break out the air-brushes, cause those NFL logos are going to disappear.

I really wish that Topps still made NBA cards. I REALLY REALLY wish that UD still made NFL cards, and I can't believe that exclusivity is being considered with the NFL. I mean, on one hand maybe that means less products per year which makes cards rarer... but no more Chrome and/or Contenders would be NUTS.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
oldgoldy97

The NFL isn't that dumb, are they?
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
Chaddie84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Imagine just for a second that some company other than Panini or Topps takes an exclusive NFL license.

No Chrome, Contenders, NT, or Base Topps. I don't think the hobby would recover from that.
Absolute
Ultimate Collection
Exquisite
Premier

Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
nera20

if its upper deck that gets the NFL exclusive could be ok I guess
nera20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #21
ChasescardCave

Dream:
Panini=out
UD=in
Topps=stays in

The only good thing that panini makes is NT. If upper deck made spa and exquisite with nfl uniforms again, I would cry tears of joy.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #22
nabzy28

Maybe they could put in a clause that would not allow for redemptions. You know, so a quarter million dollars worth of one players cards don't have to wait until after he wins a Super Bowl or something.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #23
panther252

I too would love a Topps/Ud combo. While not ideal, I think the hobby could possibly survive without Panini. The same can't be said if Topps left. The day the superfractor leaves would be the day I think it dies.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #24
drew306

YES, there are too many products out right now

NO, this would not make things better.
drew306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #25
ChicoCheese

Everyone keeps bashing on Panini, but they are getting it done, especially this season, and they are doing it right. Fewer redemptions, quicker turn around on redemptions, and they are doing more and more and more on-card signings. I think they deserve to keep their NFL license.

Did you see the recent update posts by Blowout? They filled EVERY Peyton Manning auto and they all look to be on card (I could be wrong.), Tom Brady, they got Russell Wilson taken care of, and MONTHS ago (Blowout never posted about it.) Aaron Rodgers got his redemptions filled too, WELL BEFORE Peyton or Wilson or Brady. I think the only outstanding Rodgers auto is the Virtuoso.

Finally in regards to Panini, they have the best customer service when compared to Topps and UD. Even though I have only had to deal with them once, they took GREAT care of me and I couldn't be happier with the outcome (well... I could but not realistically lol.) I have also heard many stories of happy customers on THESE BOARDS who have dealt with David Sharpe and got a great return on their replacements. That can't be said of Topps, that is FOR SURE.