Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
dd316

Default New Marvel Masterpieces - Joe Jusko!

Joe, and only Joe, will be doing the next Marvel Masterpieces set!

A Master Returns To Masterpieces Non-Sport & Entertainment Trading Card News from Non-Sport Update

Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
buckycap
Banned

Wow! That is great news.
buckycap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
finfangfan

Great news! I am glad they are reviving the brand... This set will sell really well!
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
aggie4ever

Very cool, looking forward to hearing more about this set!
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

I am ALL-IN for these.

I had the pleasure of seeing many of the original paintings when I visited Joe last year. SOO excited for these.
ALevine - Topps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
nabzy28

Awesome!!!!
Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Goldenavenger

This is excellent news for the base cards. Collectors have been wanting this for a long time. Of course base cards can't carry a release, so we'll see how the rest of the series fills out....but definately a good start.

Last edited by iluvfish2; 02-28-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: mis understood - read below
Goldenavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Joe Jusko

It's pretty sad that the amount of work I'm putting into this set means pretty much next to nothing. Thanks for the reality check. Hopefully the sketch cards will be really nice.
Joe Jusko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Jusko View Post
It's pretty sad that the amount of work I'm putting into this set means pretty much next to nothing. Thanks for the reality check. Hopefully the sketch cards will be really nice.
I can only hope you're joking? I damn near did a backflip when I read this this morning, and I'm not one to do backflips often.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
aggie4ever

Quote:
I saw that the man himself had responded to this thread, and was excited to see what he wrote. But then I saw this.

Hopefully this was a sarcastic response to Goldenavenger's comment, and not how you really feel. I know I can't be the only one who will be buying this product based solely on the new artwork you are doing for this set, Joe!
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
JenAndKylesCard

I can't wait! Joe Jusko your work is the reason I collect comic cards. I still compare everything I have today to your work I first saw as a kid. This is one set I won't care about "hits" at all.
JenAndKylesCard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
finfangfan

Quote:
This set is going to be awesome! Some "fans" have grown so accustomed to copy and paste base card art that they don't know what the hell they are talking about!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
Doug

Awesome! Looking forward to this! You've got a whole community of admirers here, Mr. Jusko Stay positive!

*** Buying SCARLET WITCH art: sketches, drawings, etc!
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
Fernando

Very exciting! Can't wait to see more of Joe's great work!!!
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
THE_BEAST

Who's Joe Jusko

jk, lol... nice piece of art
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #16
monkeymcgee

Quote:
I can guarantee you that's not the case. I will be putting a base set together just for your art and I'm not really a base collector.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #17
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
This set is going to be awesome! Some "fans" have grown so accustomed to copy and paste base card art that they don't know what the hell they are talking about!
I haven't heard many people applauding Cryptozoic for delivering all new artwork commissioned exclusively for the trading cards for each and every DC release they have put out. What we have been accustomed to is irrelevant. Unless the base cards are numbered and limited like Marvel Premier, which also had all new artwork done by Cruddie Torian, the base sets will be available for $20 or less. Its just reality. Goldenavenger was just being honest and Joe has no reason to be offended by the comment.

Joe is an outstanding artist and the Godfather of Marvel Comics trading cards. I look forward to seeing his new work and to collecting a set. That said, a sweet base set only sells a box or two. I don't need 10-15 base sets, no matter how great the artwork is. If the inserts aren't done well, the set will not be successful.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #18
Goldenavenger

Talk about missing the positive point "This is excellent news for the base cards. Collectors have been wanting this for a long time." and twisting my post to only taking away that I said your cards are worth next to nothing. That's not what my post stated, but if you think the only thing that's expected in the release is base cards and that will drive all the sales/value......well lets put it this way, I've never seen it in my years of collecting.

I'm looking forward to seeing all your cards and it's a shame you jumped on my post like that.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #19
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I haven't heard many people applauding Cryptozoic for delivering all new artwork commissioned exclusively for the trading cards for each and every DC release they have put out. What we have been accustomed to is irrelevant. Unless the base cards are numbered and limited like Marvel Premier, which also had all new artwork done by Cruddie Torian, the base sets will be available for $20 or less. Its just reality. Goldenavenger was just being honest and Joe has no reason to be offended by the comment.

Joe is an outstanding artist and the Godfather of Marvel Comics trading cards. I look forward to seeing his new work and to collecting a set. That said, a sweet base set only sells a box or two. I don't need 10-15 base sets, no matter how great the artwork is. If the inserts aren't done well, the set will not be successful.
Eh... It seemed like Goldenavenger is pretty much going out of his way to be a Debbie Downer. Yeah... He might have been honest, but that is honestly pathetic to greet such wonderful news with a "yeah but Joe's base cards won't sell the set". Maybe not for him, but the rest of he board seems to be happy by the news.

It is just rude. And I am glad Jusko called the guy out on his slight.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #20
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Eh... It seemed like Goldenavenger is pretty much going out of his way to be a Debbie Downer. Yeah... He might have been honest, but that is honestly pathetic to greet such wonderful news with a "yeah but Joe's base cards won't sell the set". Maybe not for him, but the rest of he board seems to be happy by the news.

And when I said the same thing about Mars Attacks last year I was torn to shreds... funny. But I agree with everything you've said.

Frankly, Joe's work on this set will (hopefully) bring a lot of lapsed fans back to card collecting, just as our hope was for Mars Attacks: Invasion. The hobby needs more new fans, not the same fans buying more product.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
Goldenavenger

Quote:

I didn't go out of my way. I used the word excellent in regards to Joe being on it. I praised the work and brought out another aspect to collecting and what makes a set typically successful. That's not a downer. Some people are way over sensitive. Geshh..
Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #22
sketchopolix

Joe, your 1992 set is still the defining moment in comic trading cards - WE LOVE YOU. Your base cards can definitely carry a release in the sense that there will be HUGE demand for base sets.

I suspect GA's underlying concern is that the boxes will be priced at UD current $80-100 range for 24 packs/5 cards per pack. That's a little steeper than your debut, when I believe I was buying boxes with more total cards for $15-18 retail (been a while, so maybe I mis-remember that).

Bottom line, I hope to see some more sneak peeks of your work here (or on Scoundrel) once UD gives the green light.

Tell us this please - you will be doing at least a few pack inserted sketch cards, yes???!!!!

Thanks in advance for all the great work you did/will do on this set. You rock!
sketchopolix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #23
ALevine - Topps
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
Joe, your 1992 set is still the defining moment in comic trading cards - WE LOVE YOU. Your base cards can definitely carry a release in the sense that there will be HUGE demand for base sets.

I suspect GA's underlying concern is that the boxes will be priced at UD current $80-100 range for 24 packs/5 cards per pack. That's a little steeper than your debut, when I believe I was buying boxes with more total cards for $15-18 retail (been a while, so maybe I mis-remember that).
If I recall, the box my dad bought me was about $35, which in todays dollars is about $58 (and I think they were 6 cards per pack). So it's not quite the same but it's not THAT far off, either, assuming it's priced on the lower end of your projection.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #24
JHinGA09

Quote:
Growing up in the 90's and collecting that Marvel Masterpieces set was so much fun. Looking through your artwork and thinking, man this guy is a badazz! Lol
I just wanted to thank you for being a huge part of my teen years. My favorite of all time is still the '92 Masterpiece Havok.
(I can't believe I just commented on Joe Jusko's post...)
Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 AM   #25
Kane1

Finally more card series with new artwork for the base set. I was getting boring with the copy-paste of "Neo Comics Images" aka Rittenhouse.

Also I hope to see a good decision in choosing the Insert/Chase cards. It will nice see new "Battle" Spectra Cards and the parallel gold signed cards or truly signed Joe Jusko cards. For the old fan and collector of sketch cards. It will be nice see some from Joe Jusko and other artist from the other masterpieces series.

In the 90's the success of the card series in special from Marvel was the focus in the base set. Many have great artwork and the info/bios in the back of the card. So you enjoy looking the details of the artwork and reading it. The insert in many series were rare. So those cards get value for its rarity than its looking.