Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default Topps CS - if your sending in replacements you may want to read this

Just got my replacements back from Topps for my damaged 2007 Football cards (Not bad actually Mailed Aug. 2nd, Their letter is dated Aug. 6, however the UPS tracking info shows a mail date of 8/15), 1st attempt to deliver was Friday (17th) so 15 days total turnaround!

They replaced every card I submitted (minus the GU'd that I was missing from my pack), but they nicely highlighted a section and this is what it reads;

"Up to 25 cards can be replaced on a card-for-card bases per submission. Please enclose a list in numerical order of these cards. If more than 25 cards are enclosed, they will be replaced with random selected cards."

Figure I got lucky with getting exact replacements. Probably due to the fact that i took the time to list every card individually (63 cards total).

Hope this helps someone!

Robert
Old 08-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
CaptainBOHICA
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

i guess ill be sending in my entire set, 25 cards at at time LOL

fishy - how did you mail your cards in? cardboard+bubble envelope, first class?

Thanks for the heads uP!
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
iluvfish2

Ziplock bag with a letter taped to a part of a cardboard backer (taken from an old used priority mail envelope). I went Priority as I was hoping to get them back faster (but also given the weight of the cards, letter, and packing materials, to me it was cost effective to go Priority...wanted to beat the rush on those returning topps fb.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Jughead

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

You only sent 63 cards, right? Priority is not going to get it there any faster than first class.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
thekramers5

Default Similar experience with 2006 Bowman Sterling Baseball

I had a similar experience - I sent in about 35 06 Bowman Sterling Baseball Autos, including 3 Uptons, 2 Maybins & 3 Gordons - and all were replaced 1 for 1 with great looking cards.

Total turnaround time was 11 days. I was thoroughly impressed.

I did get the same letter referring to the 25 card amount, and replacement information.

TK
thekramers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
iluvfish2

Also didnt want to waste any of my bubble mailers. This time of year, both will most likely get there the same time, come the holidays, Priority will get there faster as it gets the first spot on the plane, no?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Jughead

Generally, no. It is extremely rare that it makes a difference. Ignoring for a second that "Priority" is simply a name that the USPS gives the service (because of the implications the name gives), what Priority really has priority over is parcel post.

During the holidays they have increased capacity, so 1st class things don't sit in the back until there is room for it. This implies Priority gets to be in some sort of carpool lane to get onto the planes first. If Priority was really faster than first class, the USPS would call a lot of attention to it.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
kobemagee29

Jughead, Priorty mail arrives in 2-3 days. 1st class mail can take 3-7 days depending on where it's going and where it's being sent from. There is a difference by usually 2 days or more!
kobemagee29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Jughead

No, there isn't. 1st class mail should take 1-3 days depending on where it's going and where it's being sent from. Of course this is for the 48 contiguous states (although honestly Hawaii and Alaska usually take three days from here too, because a plane is a plane). Priority mail also takes 1-3 days under the same conditions. All delivery times are like Upper Deck seeding rates -- on average. They both travel the same way (plane, truck, etc., depending on distance). Why would 1st class take two more days? Because it doesn't. I am impressed by the marketing machine that is the USPS, but we have to let this one go. Of course parcel post takes longer because it does not go on a plane. PP to Hawaii goes on a ship!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
TimC

Jughead is right on this .. the P.O. likes to put subliminal messages in your head indicating that Priority Mail is faster, but in my experience shipping for several years now, it's no faster than first class, even across the country. Of course, for items heavier than 13 oz. it is your only option other than Parcel Post, which is definitely slower.

Advantages of Priority Mail:
  • For items heaver than 13 oz.its faster than the cheaper option (Parcel Post).
  • You get free mailing supplies
  • The recipient thinks it is faster also, so you get kudos from them
  • Online DC is free with Priority Mail, and you can include DC on items that are not necessarily 3/4" thick if shipping Priority Mail
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #11
kobemagee29

sorry, but your wrong. I just recieved a payment for an ebay auction and it was sent on the 13th of Aug, and I received it on the 18th. It came from MA and went to IL. Sorry, but i'm a letter carrier for the USPS and I don't have no reason to lie. If you send out credit card bills and other bills, they usually take anywhere from 3-7 days. Priorty mail is just what it says, PRIORTY. Just like Express mail is next day as long as it goes out by the deadline time in your office. People need to realize the USPS is a service, unlike UPS and Fed-ex. I have no reason to argue, but it gets old with everybody always complaining about the USPS and the rates. People complain we are over paid, but anybody who wants to go out in the winter and deal with the cold and the summers of having dogs trying to chase and bite you should be paid accordingly. USP makes more then we do and all they do is jump in and out of there truck.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
TimC

I'm certainly not accusing anyone of lying ... and my post is not based on any internal postal knowledge ... simply experience. 99.9% of the time, if I send a First Class bubble mailer from WI to CA it will get there as fast as any Priority Mail that I send. Kobe ... since you're internal, I'm interested in the process. Are you saying that First Class Mail sits in the P.O a day or two longer? Or that it is transported via a slower method? Please explain exactly how it is that Priority Mail would get from one place to another faster than First Class. Thanks, TimC.

P.S. Kobe ... I have no beef with the US Postal service rates. I DO have a beef regarding postal employees' knowledge of those rates and the inconsistency with which they apply those rates, along with the complexity of those rates, which exacerbates the problem. Of course, that's not your fault, and is a much bigger issue.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
kobemagee29

I have no answers to how the clerks do there jobs. I thought the computers they use calculate the postage but I don't have anything to do with that.
The priorty mail, Express mail, Registered mail, 1st class mail, standard mail is all handled and sorted according to what it is. Thats all done at the Main P.O with all the mail handlers. I'm not going to say that a 1st class mail envelope can't get to a destination in the same time as a priorty mailing, but generally, priorty mail is just want it says. It doesn't mean the 1st class mail or other mail gets left sitting. This could go on and on so i'm going to leave it at that, but from my mailing experiences themselves, the priorty mail is usually 1 or 2 days faster then 1st class.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #14
timbo

kobe, I have to disagree with you on this one. I am a distribution clerk. If everything goes correctly with the processing of the mail you can send a letter from anywhere in the US to anywhere else in the US in 3 days. One difference that may cause delays between the 2 is that letters can get stuck together, jammed in a machine, or (since they are usually smaller) can get left in an empty piece of equiptment. I wouldn't agree at all that Priority will get there faster. As for the rates, I received a message from a buyer that they got there item and it was postage due $.33 (the difference between a large letter rate and parcel rate) for the first time since the rate change. As a customer of the USPS, I am upset about this and as an employee, I am embarrassed. They need to do a better job at standardizing these rates with at least some kind of training from top to bottom. That includes the Carriers since yall are the ones to collect. Nobody is properly trained and they are left for themselves to interpret the rates.
Tim.
timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #15
Jughead

please delete this post. thank you.

Last edited by Jughead; 08-20-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: please delete this post. thank you.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
kobemagee29

Timbo, I also have to disagree with you.