Blowout Cards Forums
2017 bb hot prospects

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
blackandgold

Default case rippers

New to the forum. I am just a casual collector. Usually buy about four boxes a month usually football but will get into baseball or basketball occasionally.
Question that I have for the case rippers are I here you guys talking about selling lots. I did not think you could make money off of that. Are you guys talking about team sets, parrallells, commons etc. Saving money for a case.It will be my first one and looking forward to it WHO DAT
blackandgold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
iluvfish2

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Its a mix. Advantage to buying a case is you get the case hit (if there is one) and generally better odds at the higher pulls but at the same time your fronting more $$.

Thanks to the competition on the bay, everyones developed their own system (mines hording Just keep telling my wife this is deversifing my retirement $$. Some sell immidetly (inserts/parallels) while others hold base cards to move as lots or singles when a player gets hot and interest picks up. IF the player doesnt do so well, could be a loosing battle.
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
robdijohn

hello. new to board. I'm starting to get back in buying cases and selling hoping to make profit. my problem is I'm not sure when to unload. or should I sell by box or break. I'm invested heavy in '06 fb:
4 cases of '06 exquisite
4 boxes of bowman chrome
2 cases of '05 exquisite.

any ideals? thanks. rob
robdijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Jughead

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

I wouldn't rip any of them. If you need money, sell the Bowman Chrome, but your best bet is to sit on all of them, unless you're really heavy.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
scottiff

Rob you've got some nice stuff there. The 06 class is just getting warmed up. You should just set back and watch your boxes and cases blow up this year. When football season starts the 06 stuff should explode.
scottiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
robdijohn

thanks guys.
robdijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
rudyjustinfarrell

Default Recommendation to Rob

The only thing that is/was missing in the advice was when do you sell? That is a personal thing and can only be answered by you. Put down to paper what you paid for all your 06 boxes/cases and figure out what you would LIKE to make on them. Maybe you want a percentage of what you paid on all that stuff collectively? Some people like doubling their money. Maybe you can sell some of your lower stuff w/ smaller profit margins early in the season to start recouping money to pay off loans or credit cards? Make it up later as you sell off your big stuff? Or sell your big stuff little by little as prices climb? I don't know... If you do not have a price in mind that figure will come and go and you will still be sitting there scratching your head wondering when to sell or if you made a good sale or not. Go big, be conservative, whatever but HAVE A GAME PLAN. Some of the guys on here can afford to sit a bit and make that extra 15% later in the football season. Me? I'd be happy w/ a 15% investment gain over 8-12 months but I'm not a big spender and have to be a bit conservative to make money, break a few boxes here and there and ENJOY what I'm doing. My 2 cents...
Old 08-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
go_steelers07

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
New to the forum. I am just a casual collector. Usually buy about four boxes a month usually football but will get into baseball or basketball occasionally.
Question that I have for the case rippers are I here you guys talking about selling lots. I did not think you could make money off of that. Are you guys talking about team sets, parrallells, commons etc. Saving money for a case.It will be my first one and looking forward to it WHO DAT
it depends on the product. prospect based releases tend to sell better in 10-20 ct lots of the same player.

the base line products...ie: topps, bowman, UD, etc... are good sellers as base sets and team sets and insert sets.

parallels should be sold as singles..... and then as lots for the ones that go unsold.
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
frozenntimesports

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdijohn View Post
hello. new to board. I'm starting to get back in buying cases and selling hoping to make profit. my problem is I'm not sure when to unload. or should I sell by box or break. I'm invested heavy in '06 fb:
4 cases of '06 exquisite
4 boxes of bowman chrome
2 cases of '05 exquisite.

any ideals? thanks. rob
I really like '05 exquisite if you can get in low. Alex Smith is going to be a big star and I have a gut feeling that Aaron Rodgers will be too when they finally wheel Brett Favre out of town.

As far as unloading, if you can afford to wait until one or two more players heat up out of the '06 Bowman Chrome case, you may be able to get $1000 a case. Not sure what you are into it for, but if you got it at $750 that's a 25% profit.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Jughead

Send a message via AIM to Jughead Send a message via Yahoo to Jughead

33% $937.50 would be a 25% profit.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
frozenntimesports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
33% $937.50 would be a 25% profit.
I stand corrected. Kind of embarrassing for a former tax attorney, but that's still a nice profit.
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote