Blowout Cards Forums
2017 bb hot prospects

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Tim

Default old wax from the 70s and 80s

I have a few boxes from the good ol' days and was checking fleabay today and was shocked at how low they had fallen since about only four months ago. A 1979 topps baseball wax box is now bringing $200.00?!?!!? That is unreal. They were double that for the last several years. What is going on?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Munsonmanor

To be honest, I'm not surprised. Other than the Ozzie Smith rookie, what is in there of value? Look at the prices of the individual cards. If it's not graded, you would be lucky to get $20-$30 for the Ozzie on Ebay. I don't know what you have invested in the box, but if it's not much, you would be better off openning it up and pray to get a Graded 8.5 or higher on the Smith and the Nolan Ryan. I have a 78 rookie of Molitor/Trammell that Beckett "says" is worth $50. If it's not graded, they go for anywhere from $10-$25, depending on the description and the scan. I would be better off trading with someone than put it on Ebay, because I'm afraid of wasting my money and getting a bad grade even though I think it should at least bring a 7.
Munsonmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
Tim

But if you use that argument, then why is ANY old wax worth what it's worth? (Answer: rarity.) Take any of them - 1976, 77, 78 -- the content doesn't come close to final realized box prices. There is a decline in final sales for old baseball wax from just a few months ago, and I don't know why.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Munsonmanor

Well, could it be the oversaturation of Game-Used and new products putting out cards of players of this generation? As always the Rookie cards hold their value well, but why pay $20 for a 6th or 7th year Nolan Ryan Topps card when I can get a Game-Used card or a few low numbered inserts of Ryan for the same price? I just wonder if the card market is adjusting itself like the Dow Jones.
Munsonmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Vintage Collector

It should be the opposite.

Because the nolan ryan 6th year card is over 30 year old and there is a saturation of all game used that will just get worse over the years the ryan card is a better investment.

100,000 game used cards today 1,000,000 in ten years.

100,000 nolan ryans today 100,000 in ten years.

Rarity.

Tim, If you are selling boxes let me know.
Thanks
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
jebjeb1

With all of the crap released today for $200 a box I think it would bring back a lot of great memories to bust open a box of vintage Topps for the same price.
jebjeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
allstarcomics

Default re old wax

All the $ is going towards the new stuff. There is only so much $$ in the hobby to go around. I know a few guys that are buying up old wax figuring the market will correct itself again at some point. There is also the fear that the boxes have been tampered with. During the late 1980's early 1990's when wax from that era was hot a lot of those boxes were tampered with at some point. In the shop I used to keep boxes and packs from the 1980's but I dont bother to restock anymore. The only people who have interest in buying those packs are those that play the grading game and the more common are the old school collectors who havent collected in years and come back to the stuff they know from their collecting era.
allstarcomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
j_b_77

Send a message via Yahoo to j_b_77

Also, pay attention to who is selling it. I follow the older wax on the bay. I see the price fluctuate big time one dealer to the next, depending on how reputable the dealer is. My advice is if the boxes are in nice shape, get them graded/authenticted. IMHO I think these won't go down. They will go up at a gradual pace. It's just like a low risk/ low yield bond. LMK if you wanna unload.
j_b_77 is offline   Reply With Quote