Blowout Cards Forums
Baseball Prospect

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
ashelton

Default Marvel 75th Anniversary - Rittenhouse

Soooo is it too much to hope that anyone will actually be buying this? It's such a shame it has nothing buzz-wise anywhere. I didn't even realize it was coming out this week since I haven't heard about approvals let alone permission for artists to post previews.

I'm afraid that doesn't bode well at all... more art to be trapped in cardboard prisons collecting dust on warehouse shelves
Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
richo

I can only speak for myself, but I don't buy Marvel cards because the market just looks so saturated. In summary, I believe supply is consistently outstripping demand, which even for a collector, makes it a tough proposition to throw money at.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
ashelton

Yeah, I wasn't really looking to rehash the oversaturation thing. It exists, everyone knows it and it's a problem... yet some people still buy some Marvel sets. I'm afraid this isn't going to be one of them. I've even heard that some of the big rip & flippers might be taking a pass. Which sucks because, yanno, I'm not oversaturated, this was only my second Marvel set -_-
Old 07-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Spider-Fan

I will take the same "wait and see" approach I took for the last couple underwhelming releases. Sadly, RA really needs to spruce up its Marvel Comics releases. The addition of the limited parallels was nice, but it was executed well. "Oh wow, a different color foil border!!!" The card layout on the last couple sets was a failure in my eyes. Commissioning new artwork for their sets and maybe dropping down to one regular and one premium set a year could probably do a lot for their brand health. Anyway... I'm not expecting much. Excited for a fresh batch of sketch cards. Hopefully there will be some great deals to be had
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
finfangfan

I don't collect Rittenhouse sketches. The layout of each Marvel sketch set is ALWAYS the same (just swap in a new logo!) with the bulk of the release filtering through 3-5 main dealers (with all of the sketches seemingly hitting within 48 hours of release and then being marked down days later).

It has gotten to the point it all blurs together and nothing ever stands out as new and/or exciting in any of the Rittenhouse Marvel product.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
ricksam

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I don't collect Rittenhouse sketches. The layout of each Marvel sketch set is ALWAYS the same (just swap in a new logo!) with the bulk of the release filtering through 3-5 main dealers (with all of the sketches seemingly hitting within 48 hours of release and then being marked down days later).

It has gotten to the point it all blurs together and nothing ever stands out as new and/or exciting in any of the Rittenhouse Marvel product.
or keep the same logo .. was that mgh w the avengers logo on em

ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
justice41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I will take the same "wait and see" approach I took for the last couple underwhelming releases. Sadly, RA really needs to spruce up its Marvel Comics releases. The addition of the limited parallels was nice, but it was executed well. "Oh wow, a different color foil border!!!" The card layout on the last couple sets was a failure in my eyes. Commissioning new artwork for their sets and maybe dropping down to one regular and one premium set a year could probably do a lot for their brand health. Anyway... I'm not expecting much. Excited for a fresh batch of sketch cards. Hopefully there will be some great deals to be had
Actually RA, i believe, only does 2 Marvel sets a year But they do seem to be released the same time as every other similar set. Like M75th is coming out around the same as Premier and GOTG so it seems like RA does a lot of Marvel sets, I'd say UD does more.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
justice41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
or keep the same logo .. was that mgh w the avengers logo on em
I told the guy at RA the same card design on stuff like GOT or Star trek is a travesty. I suggested a more finer lattice style or Filigree design on the Next GOT set would set it apart and something more in line with what the sets about not just the generic design with different logo's That comic book blank design is ugly and needs to go altogether but who knows maybe they'll take my suggestion or not. The UD Marvel Now mock cover design was cool would like RA to do something like that.

Last edited by justice41; 07-21-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
aggie4ever

Well, typically a large percentage of Rittenhouse Marvel products gets opened by the release date, because the incentives encourage 3 or 4 of the large breakers to open up over 100 cases each. So maybe 35-50% of the boxes get opened by these buyers. If these large breakers are taking a pass on this set, that is a bad sign.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Actually RA, i believe, only does 2 Marvel sets a year But they do seem to be released the same time as every other similar set. Like M75th is coming out around the same as Premier and GOTG so it seems like RA does a lot of Marvel sets, I'd say UD does more.
Actually RA does 2 mass Marvel Comic releases per year and then also does one premium "Legends of Marvel" release (no sketches). At least, that is what they have done for the last 5 years. In addition to those 3, last year they also did the premium Sgt. Fury set, so that made 4 total Marvel comic releases from RA in 2013. What I'm suggesting is they do just one mass comic release (like 2014 MU, 75th anniversary, etc...) and instead of doing a second mass release they do a premium release more along the lines of Sgt. Fury/Marvel Retro/Marvel Premier.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
justice41
Banned

I was only speaking on the sketch card sets The other stuff i don't even know about as it's not relevant to me. No sketches, no sketch work, no interest.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
pclinger

I'm gonna get a box or two, but nothing huge... unless I hear something impressive about this set but I haven't yet.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
djohns30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Well, typically a large percentage of Rittenhouse Marvel products gets opened by the release date, because the incentives encourage 3 or 4 of the large breakers to open up over 100 cases each. So maybe 35-50% of the boxes get opened by these buyers. If these large breakers are taking a pass on this set, that is a bad sign.
I think the incentives is the problem. These cards should be put in so everyone has a chance of opening them.

Does anyone know when the release date is? Blowout says the 23rd but Rittenhouse now says the 25th.

s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/djohns300/Trade/

Last edited by djohns30; 07-24-2014 at 07:03 AM.
djohns30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
sketchopolix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelton View Post
... I'm not oversaturated, this was only my second Marvel set -_-
Here's a taste of Amber's MU14 work for those of you who missed it. Fun style, nice effort on the composition, AND she responds to collector feedback.

sketchopolix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
ricksam

were the requirements 2 characters on card? .. kinda like mhv?

edit: and those look like the same logo from some past set(s)? .. sheesh

Last edited by ricksam; 07-22-2014 at 03:44 PM.
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #16
FAKadar

my preview for this set
FAKadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #17
Spider-Fan

Quote:
were the requirements 2 characters on card? .. kinda like mhv?
No, but there were incentives offered to artists to do multiple character cards. Plenty of single character cards in the set though.

Quote:
edit: and those look like the same logo from some past set(s)? .. sheesh
same card front as the 2011 Marvel Universe set.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #18
nabzy28

Taking a pass on this one unless an Emma Frost or Jean Grey shows up that I absolutely have to have. I'll take my punishment on Women of Marvel, or whatever got announced a bit ago, due at the end of the year.

----edit

Geez, ya think it all just runs together anymore? I'm the one who posted it. Ugh.

• Marvel: Dangerous Divas Series 2 (December 17, 2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post

Geez, ya think it all just runs together anymore? I'm the one who posted it. Ugh.

Marvel: Dangerous Divas Series 2 (December 17, 2014)
Three mass releases this year... Yeah, it all runs together.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 AM   #20
Kane1

Is going to be every 5 years set? I hope at least the base set is better than 70 Years.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #21
Jackg1980

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Glebe Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/glebetwins/...type=1&theater
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #22
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane1 View Post
Is going to be every 5 years set? I hope at least the base set is better than 70 Years.
With the big breakers dropping off one by one, I don't think Rittenhouse will have the license in 5 years unless they find a way to spice things up and rejuvenate interest from dealers.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #23
Kane1

Maybe Rittenhouse needs to make limited "gem" cards like Upper Deck. Just a lot copy-paste artwork, but making the cards "limited".
Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
finfangfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane1 View Post
Maybe Rittenhouse needs to make limited "gem" cards like Upper Deck. Just a lot copy-paste artwork, but making the cards "limited".
The last few Rittenhouse Marvel sets have had stamped X/10 diamond cards and other X/X cards that aren't as nice (and not as highly collected) as UD's PMGs.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #25
gst177
Banned

Send a message via AIM to gst177

I m not so sure that the big breakers dropped out from this release by choice. When my distributor called this time for orders on this back a couple months back, I told him I am probably going to skip the product this time around. While I dont open 50+ classes like the big breakers do, i still open 9 cases per release up until this point.

I was told by the distributor not to worry about the biggest breaker of them all. Not going to mention his name but we all know who it is. The distributor representative said Steve will no longer sell Marvel products to the big breaker direct. Steve however cant control who he buys secondary from. He said Steve has seen how his products pricing has been affected by them.

Again, this is just what I was told by a distributor and heard from one other source while I stopped by Frank and Sons on my way down to Comic Con.

Has anyone else heard anything similar to this?
gst177 is offline   Reply With Quote