Blowout Cards Forums
Mike Trout

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 08-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
dasiegel

Default Who is your MIP Most Improved Prospect?

Who has really risen to the occasion when being bumped a league, dominated pitching they weren't supposed to, lowered Ks, picked up BBs... or struck out a ton of batters, kept his BB #s down, out-dueled hitters?

Here are the rules:
You have to at least be playing in A ball
You can't have lost rookie eligibility during a callup
You must have shown some improvement in your stats from the beginning of the year until now.

So many to choose from:

Heavy K guys like Stetson Allie started off brutal and now have 4Ks 7BB and 3 SBS and a .333 avg. in their last 10 and are down to almost a K a game on the season.

Guys like David Dahl had huge bounceback years where they are all over BA/MLB/BP lists.

Raimel Tapia has had no signs of slowing down since his big year last year and at 19 looks awesome in A ball.

Peter O'Brien? did anyone see him playing 2 levels and hitting 34 HRs?

Steven Moya? Who? Just some guy who went up a level and instead of 12 HR is at 28 and instead of 55 RBI he's at 88 and added a cool 15 SBs this season as well.

And what about Matt Olson, who could be the MVP of his league. 34 HRs 83 RBI, avg up to .257 from .225 last yr. 100 BBs and a solid 1B profile.

But my vote has to be for Joey the cat Gallo. What he did at A+ was unreal. He cut down on the K #s big time giving many of us on BO a treat who held his cards. He, through 2 leagues, is batting .289 a league leading 38 HRs and 95 RBI to go with 86 BBs. His K level is high at Frisco but hard to deny this award to him... or is it!? Who's your guy? A pitcher maybe?

Last edited by dasiegel; 08-11-2014 at 01:32 AM.
dasiegel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Raysfan16

You can't go wrong with Gallo. I'm a bit concerned with his K numbers at Frisco but it'll play out well.

My guys are JP Crawford and Dahl. Boy do I wish I jumped on the Crawford and Dahl money trains earlier. I didn't realize the disciplinary issue that kept him out of a lot of 2013 was just missing a flight. Poor guy probably missed his alarm and loses half a season.

Dark Horse award goes to Mikie Mahtook. .295 with some power and speed. Right now he's the closest of the Rays' 2011 picks to the bigs. It's a crowded outfield at the MLB level but he still deserves some credit.

"If it smells like [poop] everywhere you go, check under your own shoe."
Raysfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
shortking98

For me as a Red Sox fan/prospect collector it was Sean Coyle. He has had a huge bounce back season to put himself back on the prospect radar in AA.
shortking98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
tsnider45

Has to be Daniel Norris.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
JoshHarrison5

Rio Ruiz flying way under the radar still 70 BB to 77 K this year and not striking out at all lately. Slash of .306/.398/.462/.860. Defense much improved with very quick reaction times at the hot corner this year, looking like he will definitely stick at that position and has the bat/power to go with it.
JoshHarrison5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
VandyCards

Jason Esposito since the beginning of July
I collect cards of former Vanderbilt players across all sports. David Price, Sonny Gray, Pedro Alvarez, Carson Fulmer, Ryan Flaherty, Philip Pfeifer, Tony Kemp, Mike Yastrzemski, Bryan Reynolds, MANY more.......
VandyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
tazzy13

Big Dan Vogelbach.
If you open negotiations with "what's your best price", or any other semblance of that; please don't bother dealing with me. You are not Rick or Big Hoss from Pawnstars. Please, save yourself the time and effort of typing...
tazzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
chansen10

Daniel Norris gets my vote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
dasiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy13 View Post
Big Dan Vogelbach.
no way dude! i know he had a big improvement from a bad start but i dont even think his #1 fan CTB would concur here!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
eric82
Banned

Soler. If healthy he is the best hitting prospect in minors. Better than Bryant. They say WHEN healthy hes better than Puig and younger. If I had to build a team around one guy itd be Soler hands down.

His numbers are better than bryant and the cubs paid him more than bryant to the tune of 9 year for $30 million. With $6 millon sign bonus.
eric82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
Jaypers
Bowman Scout

I said it in another of the OP's threads today and I'll say it here - Mookie Betts.

Friends don't let friends slide head first.
Jaypers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
ctbinvestments

Quote:
Big Dan Vogelbach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasiegel View Post
no way dude! i know he had a big improvement from a bad start but i dont even think his #1 fan CTB would concur here!
I don't think Vogelbach is most improved because he's now doing what he was supposed to do and did last year albeit at a lighter weight!

My vote would be for Jake Lamb....to go from the CAL league to the Southern League and maintain if not improve on his avg, xbh's, .550 SLG % is insane. He looks like a potential impact bat regardless of his slow start in AZ. My #2 would be Corey Seager.....we all knew he was good but he has taken it to a different level this year.
ctbinvestments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
dasiegel

Quote:
Big Dan Vogelbach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbinvestments View Post
I don't think Vogelbach is most improved because he's now doing what he was supposed to do and did last year albeit at a lighter weight!

My vote would be for Jake Lamb....to go from the CAL league to the Southern League and maintain if not improve on his avg, xbh's, .550 SLG % is insane. He looks like a potential impact bat regardless of his slow start in AZ. My #2 would be Corey Seager.....we all knew he was good but he has taken it to a different level this year.
Seager is a good call, I think few projected his outburst this year.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #14
nadeauman33

Homer pick from me, Nomar Mazara. Who in their right mind would have thought Mazara would have been bumped up to AA. He is the youngest player in the Texas league. I know there are better options, but the question OP asked was for "your" MIP, and Mazara is mine.
nadeauman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
JoshHarrison5

I think Jake Lamb would be a better pick if he was a little younger, but he is putting together a nice season and I hope he succeeds at the big league level.

My favorite players in the minors who I feel have put together nice seasons for their age and improved from last year are Rio Ruiz, Daniel Robertson, Nomar Mazara, Brett Phillips, Corey Seager, and Dilson Herrera.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
sjorgen5

Luis Severino
sjorgen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #17
jason122883

Patrick Kivlehan
Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
ctbinvestments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHarrison5 View Post
I think Jake Lamb would be a better pick if he was a little younger, but he is putting together a nice season and I hope he succeeds at the big league level.

My favorite players in the minors who I feel have put together nice seasons for their age and improved from last year are Rio Ruiz, Daniel Robertson, Nomar Mazara, Brett Phillips, Corey Seager, and Dilson Herrera.
There are alot of negatively towards college players (unless your name is Bryant) but to do what Lamb has done with only 120 games of minor league experience going into this year starting in AA is phenomenal to me. I love Rio Ruiz as well but he isn't doing anything very different from last year. Anyone who followed him (like me) knew he started slow last year with a .220 or so avg pre all star break and turned it on the 2nd half of the year last year batting .300 with great power and bb/k ratios. He's pretty much continued that this year and the numbers (2b's,HR's RBI's, bb/k) are basically the same but at a higher level. He's doing what I expected him to do.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #19
dasiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric82 View Post
Soler. If healthy he is the best hitting prospect in minors. Better than Bryant. They say WHEN healthy hes better than Puig and younger. If I had to build a team around one guy itd be Soler hands down.

His numbers are better than bryant and the cubs paid him more than bryant to the tune of 9 year for $30 million. With $6 millon sign bonus.
thats being very generous but i think he's still a nice pick... having a major bounceback season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypers View Post
I said it in another of the OP's threads today and I'll say it here - Mookie Betts.
yea he kinda killed it especially earlier in the yr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadeauman33 View Post
Homer pick from me, Nomar Mazara. Who in their right mind would have thought Mazara would have been bumped up to AA. He is the youngest player in the Texas league. I know there are better options, but the question OP asked was for "your" MIP, and Mazara is mine.
wait, you like mazara? wait, your song likes him too, lol! he had a great season and im happy he is getting a small chance at High A this year. I'm a major fan of giving people a taste of the next level so they can use the offseason to prepare for what they are up against. Hence why I'm so happy Beaz is in Chicago right now and now AAA.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #20
bradical

Chris Taylor!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #21
JoshHarrison5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbinvestments View Post
There are alot of negatively towards college players (unless your name is Bryant) but to do what Lamb has done with only 120 games of minor league experience going into this year starting in AA is phenomenal to me. I love Rio Ruiz as well but he isn't doing anything very different from last year. Anyone who followed him (like me) knew he started slow last year with a .220 or so avg pre all star break and turned it on the 2nd half of the year last year batting .300 with great power and bb/k ratios. He's pretty much continued that this year and the numbers (2b's,HR's RBI's, bb/k) are basically the same but at a higher level. He's doing what I expected him to do.
I don't have any negativity towards college players. You basically just said Rio Ruiz is doing what you expected him to do. Granted his BB/K numbers are much improved from last year, and drastically improved the second half of this season. You could easily say the same thing about Jake Lamb given his age and experience, correct? He's almost a 24 year old with lots of college experience under his belt, started at Double-A and just got a call to the bigs for the last month and half of the season. IMO that is pretty normal.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #22
guitardirky

Michael Taylor
guitardirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
dasiegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardirky View Post
Michael Taylor
now thats a good one, called up too
Old 08-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
ctbinvestments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshHarrison5 View Post
I don't have any negativity towards college players. You basically just said Rio Ruiz is doing what you expected him to do. Granted his BB/K numbers are much improved from last year, and drastically improved the second half of this season. You could easily say the same thing about Jake Lamb given his age and experience, correct? He's almost a 24 year old with lots of college experience under his belt, started at Double-A and just got a call to the bigs for the last month and half of the season. IMO that is pretty normal.
I didn't say you have negativitely towards college players, I said prospectors/collectors as a whole do (me included). Actually what Lamb has done is really impressive. Everyone knows the CAL league enhances statistics (especially on college hitters) and they usually fall flat on their faces in AA. Take a look at Zach Borenstein, Alex Yarborough, and Mac Williamson as prime examples of college guys who "tore" up the CAL league last year and lets just say have struggled this year. I'm sure nobody expected Lamb to perform at as high of a level in avg, power, etc when moving to AA and the SOU league. It's not a knock against Rio at all or saying that Rio won't be a better player down the road but Lamb was the bigger suprise (impressive) for me.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #25
sheetskout

Send a message via AIM to sheetskout Send a message via Yahoo to sheetskout

To me this is between a few players but not necessarily a first rounder. Daniel Norris was SUPPOSED to be an impact-type arm when he was drafted. He's made some nice adjustments but has he really improved over what they thought he'd be at this point? Tapia gets my vote as he was a low-level international FA who truly broke out. He was a risky signing who's now showing more than they thought when the Rockies spent a modest amount on him in the International Free Agent Market.
sheetskout is offline   Reply With Quote