Blowout Cards Forums
2016 star wars

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 09-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
PoPCulture

Default Topps Star Wars Galactic Connexions Trading Disks

While not trading cards, it is a new product from Topps. Just curious if anyone is planning to collect these. Weather or not you will be collecting, please feel free to share your opinions on these things.
PoPCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
dd316

They're POGs with corners. If they fit in 9-pocket pages I might be inclined to check them out, but otherwise I could care less.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
BHotz

These seem EXTREMELY collectible and look pretty cool in-hand. Has my attention. That Slave Leia looks nice.

I'm confused on the Blue Starfield (and kinda the other parallels).

The Wal-Mart packs say:
"This pack contains an exclusive ultra rare Blue Starfield Disc available only in this giveaway pack!"
"The Blue Starfield is a special, iconic Topps design used on the very first Star Wars trading cards ever made!"

However in the handful of packs I opened, I got foil and non-foil variations of the blue starfields which were 1-per pack AND the checklist inside has "blue starfield exclusives" listed as #1-10 but the ones in my pack weren't in those ten? Anyone completely understand the parallel system especially with the Wal-Mart force Friday exclusives?

Last edited by BHotz; 09-04-2015 at 08:29 AM.
BHotz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
PoPCulture

I picked some up last night including a couple of the free packs. Haven't opened them yet but was surprised by how heavy the packs are. I had assumed that they were paper but that doesn't seem to be the case. Apparently I left the bag that these are in in my wife's car so I will report what I see on the blue starfield pieces later.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
finfangfan

From: Topps debuts Galactic Connexions, a new Star Wars collectible trading disc game / topps-blog

Quote:
There are 86 characters in the full set of discs with hundreds of variations.
Hundreds of variations?! Good luck completing a master set! lol
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
BHotz

^^Nice, thanks, didn't see that after a quick search.

Checklist link:
http://www.topps.com/galacticconnexi...tion_checklist

So looks like 3 variations of the 3 borders then ultra-rares (which are one per regular pack) and blue starfield. LOOKS like there are 3 variations of the blue starfield (force Friday exclusives) too so those are probably going to be the hard-to-get/collect.

*There are 75 characters in the set plus 10 exclusive blue starfield characters (85 total different). Meaning that the one-per-pack blue starfield in the "force Friday" packs can be from the 75 regular set or the 10 exclusive set.

Last edited by BHotz; 09-04-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
jedi500

I was at Walmart today, they had a whole bunch of packs on a table with a Walmart person sitting behind it. They gave me 4 packs as no one was taking any.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi500 View Post
I was at Walmart today, they had a whole bunch of packs on a table with a Walmart person sitting behind it. They gave me 4 packs as no one was taking any.
Just curious, how many of the 10 exclusive blue starfield disks did you get as opposed to the starfield versions of the standard 75 character checklist? The 10 seem much harder to find from what I've seen so far.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
finfangfan

I picked up 3 $10 packs at Walmart today. I have attached the 3 ultra rares I got. The Commander Cody had a sticker that was the only refractor of its type (circles) within my 42 discs. Kind of cool in hand. I wonder if it will take off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1460
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	299871  
Old 09-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #10
BHotz

Quote:
I picked up 3 $10 packs at Walmart today. I have attached the 3 ultra rares I got. The Commander Cody had a sticker that was the only refractor of its type (circles) within my 42 discs. Kind of cool in hand. I wonder if it will take off?
Maybe. Its still really early and there seems to be some interest on eBay with it growing to an extent.

The circle foil is called "pattern foil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Just curious, how many of the 10 exclusive blue starfield disks did you get as opposed to the starfield versions of the standard 75 character checklist? The 10 seem much harder to find from what I've seen so far.
I collaborated with some friends and we broke 60 packs all together.

YES, the "exclusive 10 characters" were a bit harder and we only got one that was foil. Also we got ZERO blue starfields in "pattern foil" so looks like there's only foil and nonfoil varations of the blue starfields.

Listed a few of the bigger character names on eBay and some have sold but still have a ton of the lesser names, foils, and exclusive 10 characters to list. Was trying to figure out the best way. Thinking putting up a lot of the different ones and then list the 'exclusive 10' individually.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
finfangfan

What is considered a rainbow? Ie what variations are out there for both discs an stickers?

I noticed...

Discs:

Gray (common)
Black (uncommon)
Clear (rare)
Slime green (ultra rare)
Lightsaber red (ultra rare)
Death star silver (ultra rare)
C3PO gold (ultra rare)
Slave 1 (ultra rare)
Imperial red (ultra rare)
Battle damaged (ultra rare)
Solid gold (ultra rare)
Blue Starfield (ultra rare-force Friday only)

Stickers:

Common
Foil
Bounty hunter????--- maybe just a variation of silver foil????
Xfractor???
Pattern foil (circles)

Any other variations? Or clarifications of my draft list?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img451.jpg
Views:	4523
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	299926  

Last edited by finfangfan; 09-05-2015 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
finfangfan

I do notice all of he Force Awakens characters have no tick marks in the corners (because their connections to other characters is not yet known (per insrlert)). I wonder if this will change after we move past 1st edition an the movie is released?
Old 09-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
I do notice all of he Force Awakens characters have no tick marks in the corners (because their connections to other characters is not yet known (per insrlert)). I wonder if this will change after we move past 1st edition an the movie is released?
I had the same thought. At first I really didn't think that 1st edition would mean a lot with these but TFA disks may be the exception.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
finfangfan

They are saying from the getgo "so many discs to collect", and "hundreds of variations", so I am guessing there are a TON more variations and other exclusives planned. It will likely take them awhile to grow into the other variations. But I am going to try to character collect one or 2 characters. I wasn't that into them before, but now that I have them in hand I am intrigued.

Last edited by finfangfan; 09-05-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:44 PM   #15
finfangfan

Here is a better scan of the different types of pattern foils (top and bottom disks):

It looks like the circle patterns are only on the green slime variations (so far at least... as far as I can tell).

Incidentally, the Vader on the left and right are actually different (although they scan the same). In person the one on the left gives off a green/red/blue hologram when held to a light, while the one on the right doesn't do that (it is flat in color when held to light).

It will be interesting to see how many of the "hundreds" of variations pop up. I doubt there will be "hundreds", but who knows? It's Topps!

Last edited by finfangfan; 09-05-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #16
2wgs4l

I bought a bunch of these (155 + 24 free ones from the giveaway). Sold 9 of them on the Bay and after fees and shipping, I'm already $0.28 cents ahead....

And now I have 170 left. LOL
Maybe I will play the game.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/jeffbberg/
2wgs4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
finfangfan

It does seem like the $9.99 packs of 14 at Walmart (with one guaranteed ultra rare) will at least allow you to break even (if you choose to flip). If you get a key character as an ultra rare, then the prices seem to pop quite a bit. So for now, it appears that the sum of the parts is greater than the price of the whole.

I ended up opening 6 total boxes... 3 greens, 1 red, 1 gold, and 1 silver.

Based on a small sample size, it looks like the greens might be a bit more common than the other ultra rare variations? Based on eBay, it also seems like only the circle pattern appears on the greens, The square xfractor pattern on the reds, and just the regular foil stickers on the golds and silvers. I wonder if they will start mixing this up with future releases?

You also end up getting 2 clears per box of 14 (I didn't get anyone too good there though). And about 2 pattern foils per box.

I still haven't seen the battle damaged (Han, Luke, Leia, Vader, Obi-Wan), imperial red (Palpatine), slave 1 (Han, Boba Fett), or solid gold (Slave Leia) disks pop up on eBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img452.jpg
Views:	3805
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	299975  
Old 09-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #18
PoPCulture

The greens look great. Really like your gold Flametrooper also.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
dd316

Out of curiosity I bought a few small packs (didn't see any 14-count packs). Interesting, but not something I'd care to collect. I'm gonna throw the clear ones I got on Ebay try to get a few bucks back, gave the rest to my daughter.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
finfangfan

If your Walmart doesnt have the 14 count packs they also are selling online.

I think this thing will have legs if kids enjoy playing/collecting/trading. The game itself doesn't look too fun to me, but kids are obviously the demo.

In other news, I noticed sticker variations in the ultra rare colors of Stormtroopers that Topps was giving away at SDCC. The greens, reds, etc, all seemed to have foil stickers, not patterned stickers. Check out completed eBay listings for SDCC GALACTIC CONNEXIONS to see pictures.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #21
finfangfan

So, I took my mom out to lunch for Labor Day, and we went to a neighboring town that happened to have a Walmart.

I went in hoping to buy some of the $10 packs, but they didn't have any by the card section. They did have the packs of 5 disks hanging on the side of the Star Wars toy aisle. I ended up buying 7 packs for $28 ($3.98 each). I told my mom how this was wasted money since the odds for ultra rares are listed at:

Slime Green and Lightsaber Red-- 1:8
Death Star Silver and Golds -- 1:24
Battle Damaged-- 1:10,845
Slave 1-- 1:21,690
Imperial Red -- 1:67,777

So, the $10 packs of 14 that guarantee a ultra rare are a much better deal.

However, we beat the odds somewhat by picking up a gold, green and red in 7 packs... not too shabby!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img454.jpg
Views:	3384
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	300161  

Last edited by finfangfan; 09-07-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #22
jedi500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
I didn't get any of the 10 listed as starfield in the little booklet
Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #23
tom505

FYI:

Parallels overview:
https://youtu.be/aC3ocqcUs7A

Gameplay:
https://youtu.be/upF5ZfUF0FI
tom505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #24
Bryanjs14

im not gonna lie, I am kind of obsessed with these....
Bryanjs14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #25
jdhaugh11

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
So, I took my mom out to lunch for Labor Day, and we went to a neighboring town that happened to have a Walmart.

I went in hoping to buy some of the $10 packs, but they didn't have any by the card section. They did have the packs of 5 disks hanging on the side of the Star Wars toy aisle. I ended up buying 7 packs for $28 ($3.98 each). I told my mom how this was wasted money since the odds for ultra rares are listed at:

Slime Green and Lightsaber Red-- 1:8
Death Star Silver and Golds -- 1:24
Battle Damaged-- 1:10,845
Slave 1-- 1:21,690
Imperial Red -- 1:67,777

So, the $10 packs of 14 that guarantee a ultra rare are a much better deal.

However, we beat the odds somewhat by picking up a gold, green and red in 7 packs... not too shabby!

So is that Red Shaak Ti a 1/1?
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote