Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (https://www.blowoutforums.com/index.php)
-   COINS & CURRENCY (https://www.blowoutforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   So like...maybe it's time for me to just admit...bitcoin > physical. (https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1073968)

ninjacookies 01-05-2017 02:17 AM

So like...maybe it's time for me to just admit...bitcoin > physical.

Call it manipulated,trendy, or all of the above, but this stuff has been crushing lately...while silver has remained stagnant for what seems like an eternity. Who knows where this goes long term, but alls I knows is that my regrats are huge right now for not selling off my silver stash for bitcoin after the dip. This reminds me of the time when I said tablets were going to be nothing but a seasonal gimmick that nobody outside of Bejeweled housewives could find use in. Boy was I wrong.

Ugh.

Branesergen 01-05-2017 08:35 AM

Isn't bitcoin more volatile than the stock market?

otmack2o 01-05-2017 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=Branesergen;11793290]Isn't bitcoin more volatile than the stock market?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! Values from $923 to $989 within the last hour on Coinbase.

Hit $1165 earlier today and was sitting at $756 one month ago

Internazionale 01-05-2017 07:06 PM

Bitcoin crashed today in China by 31%.

premium1981 01-05-2017 09:00 PM

So many people are going to lose so much money when this comes crashing down.

ninjacookies 01-05-2017 10:12 PM

Oh. Don't get it confused. It is wildly volatile. But it has seen better ROI than silver over the past 5 years and touched 1200 twice within that time frame, and also isn't as dependent on global politics or banker manipulation.

I'm just a bit regretful I didn't try and convert some silver while I still could. I'm not exactly thrilled having to hold an asset for 10+ years at a longshot prayer that I might be able to break even.

premium1981 01-05-2017 11:02 PM

[QUOTE=ninjacookies;11796655]Oh. Don't get it confused. It is wildly volatile. But it has seen better ROI than silver over the past 5 years and touched 1200 twice within that time frame, and also isn't as dependent on global politics or banker manipulation.

I'm just a bit regretful I didn't try and convert some silver while I still could. I'm not exactly thrilled having to hold an asset for 10+ years at a longshot prayer that I might be able to break even.[/QUOTE]

Beenie Babies once outperformed the stock market and silver and gold. Fads are fads. In the end almost everyone loses their arse. This will be no different. You better hope you aren't holding the hot potato when the music stops playing. :)!

ninjacookies 01-05-2017 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=premium1981;11796957]Beenie Babies once outperformed the stock market and silver and gold. Fads are fads. In the end almost everyone loses their arse. This will be no different. You better hope you aren't holding the hot potato when the music stops playing. :)![/QUOTE]

I get what you're trying to say, but I think the analogy is pretty off. Bitcoin has a much larger adoption base and infrastructure investment by large corporations than most people recognize.

While I'm not quite sure if Bitcoin will be 'the one' in 10-20 years, I think digital currency is the wave of the future.

I suspect a lot of people scoffed at the notion of swiping a plastic rectangle 30 years ago. Tech is the future, and resistance is futile.

In any event, this wasn't really a long term take, but short term silver has been crushed in terms of ROI and upside. It is what it is.

Branesergen 01-05-2017 11:57 PM

Tho I agree digital currency is the future, I seriously doubt it will come from a 3rd party system. that plastic rectangle came from the same place a digital currency will come from, the banks. It will be government regulated and highly trackable.

As for an investment, I got out of the sky is falling fear of buying silver in 2013 and instead invested in stocks. Did incredibly well :) But to do that now may be too little too late but as has always been the stock market - it will continue to grow. When it crashes, silver spikes and millions have lost their jobs.

ninjacookies 01-06-2017 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=Branesergen;11797174]Tho I agree digital currency is the future, I seriously doubt it will come from a 3rd party system. that plastic rectangle came from the same place a digital currency will come from, the banks. It will be government regulated and highly trackable.

As for an investment, I got out of the sky is falling fear of buying silver in 2013 and instead invested in stocks. Did incredibly well :) But to do that now may be too little too late but as has always been the stock market - it will continue to grow. When it crashes, silver spikes and millions have lost their jobs.[/QUOTE]

You have a point. I think one of the biggest obstacles digital currency faces right now is government regulation.

Ironically though, that's the exact same problem silver faces...gross manipulation and suppression from bank holdings.

Now which is the lesser of two evils? Personal preference. However, I know what potential upside Bitcoin has flashed several times over the course of the past few years, and I've only seen it once with silver.

No way in heck am I buying bitcoin at this point in time, but the itch was so heavy when it crashed down to 2xx a few months ago. The regret is immense. And I for sure will be backing the truck all the way up if it falls there again.

Burks 01-06-2017 04:26 AM

Where there is concern over anonymity, security, and black market dealings....there will be cryptocurrency

Spider-Fan 01-06-2017 09:52 AM

I don't know about the rest of you, but my currency is already digital and I don't own a fraction of a bitcoin.

Branesergen 01-06-2017 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=Spider-Fan;11797997]I don't know about the rest of you, but my currency is already digital and I don't own a fraction of a bitcoin.[/QUOTE]

This is quite true. If it wasn't for card shows I wouldn't have touched physical cash in over 5 years. My check was direct deposited, I used my debit card everywhere and if the place was cash only I went somewhere else lol

itsinusall 01-15-2017 06:25 PM

Ever since bit coin was near gold recently somebody overseas opened a $15 million short position on bit coin it has been crushed. Many holders have been locked out from their accounts while many stop losses have also been triggered.

Long term I believe bit coin will trade with gold or perhaps over the price. The protesting at the border in Mexico has them on the verge of martial law. India announced "gold confiscation of any gold over 250 grams unless can be proven to be a family hareloom.

ninjacookies 02-02-2017 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=itsinusall;11836476]Ever since bit coin was near gold recently somebody overseas opened a $15 million short position on bit coin it has been crushed. Many holders have been locked out from their accounts while many stop losses have also been triggered.

Long term I believe bit coin will trade with gold or perhaps over the price. The protesting at the border in Mexico has them on the verge of martial law. India announced "gold confiscation of any gold over 250 grams unless can be proven to be a family hareloom.[/QUOTE]

Annnd...just like that...dead cat bounce back to $1k. My regrets are strong. Obviously way out of my budget now to even take a consideration at entering, but the entire stretch last year when it was stuck in that 3xx range...fuuuuuuuuuuuuu-.

It's obvious who the short term winner has been and it's not even remotely close. Crushing. I'd been such a detractor of bitcoin for the longest, but when I realized how much investment and adoption it has, I really overlooked it as a valuable digital asset. Just wish I wouldn't have gotten so deep into silver way back. Who even knows when (or even if) we may ever see spot touch 30.00 again. Feelsbadman.jpeg

Branesergen 02-03-2017 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=ninjacookies;11912068]Annnd...just like that...dead cat bounce back to $1k. My regrets are strong. Obviously way out of my budget now to even take a consideration at entering, but the entire stretch last year when it was stuck in that 3xx range...fuuuuuuuuuuuuu-.

It's obvious who the short term winner has been and it's not even remotely close. Crushing. I'd been such a detractor of bitcoin for the longest, but when I realized how much investment and adoption it has, I really overlooked it as a valuable digital asset. Just wish I wouldn't have gotten so deep into silver way back. Who even knows when (or even if) we may ever see spot touch 30.00 again. Feelsbadman.jpeg[/QUOTE]

Sell the silver, sock it away and wait for a dip in bitcoin? Move the old money into something that has room to grow? Lets face it, silver isnt going up unless theres a recession. I dont think anything is a good buy right now. Stocks to high, Bitcoin to high, Silver to low. May be better to have the cash on hand for the dips, they *should* happen. You seem pretty sold on the product, sometimes you gotta trust your gut and go for it!

ninjacookies 02-03-2017 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=Branesergen;11914309]Sell the silver, sock it away and wait for a dip in bitcoin? Move the old money into something that has room to grow? Lets face it, silver isnt going up unless theres a recession. I dont think anything is a good buy right now. Stocks to high, Bitcoin to high, Silver to low. May be better to have the cash on hand for the dips, they *should* happen. You seem pretty sold on the product, sometimes you gotta trust your gut and go for it![/QUOTE]

Think I missed my train on bitcoin, buddy lol. Yep, the most painful thing about this whole scenario is that I was about to do exactly what you said and move all my silver shares into bitcoin last year when it was stagnant in the 3xx range. Never did.

I'd definitely do it again if things got back to that point, but I'm not too sure how optimistic I am about it happening again in the near future.

Will probably just sell all my silver regardless and keep my eyes open for future opportunities. I share your same sentiment on silver...looks like a whole lot of narrow range bouncing for the foreseeable future.

itsinusall 02-04-2017 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=ninjacookies;11912068]Annnd...just like that...dead cat bounce back to $1k. My regrets are strong. Obviously way out of my budget now to even take a consideration at entering, but the entire stretch last year when it was stuck in that 3xx range...fuuuuuuuuuuuuu-.

It's obvious who the short term winner has been and it's not even remotely close. Crushing. I'd been such a detractor of bitcoin for the longest, but when I realized how much investment and adoption it has, I really overlooked it as a valuable digital asset. Just wish I wouldn't have gotten so deep into silver way back. Who even knows when (or even if) we may ever see spot touch 30.00 again. Feelsbadman.jpeg[/QUOTE]

I feel bad for trying to talk up holding silver to you. Bitcoin is a much more appealing asset class the world over. Volatile sure but the world policy, are dictating it to be so appealing.

ninjacookies 02-04-2017 03:25 AM

[QUOTE=itsinusall;11916711]I feel bad for trying to talk up holding silver to you. Bitcoin is a much more appealing asset class the world over. Volatile sure but the world policy, are dictating it to be so appealing.[/QUOTE]

Oh no no, I place no blame on anybody but myself :) I'm sure there'll be many other investment opportunities, bitcoin aside.

otmack2o 02-04-2017 05:45 AM

BTC is risky, yes. You feel it is too late to take a position, but I think there are methods to still do so. Those methods are called alternate cryptocurrencies. Find one that trades in Bitcoin and buy in on a down swing. It's riskier and with all "investments" there are no guarantees of future success, but let me tell you there are multiple examples of huge price fluctuations and the trading volume to really open your eyes.

Another important thing to keep in mind with cryptosporidium that trade in BTC is that for the most part, when the $ value of BTC increases the BTC value of alternate cryptic decreases. This is another indicator that can help you decide points to buy in.

Many of these alternate cryptos are fairly stable while others seem to pop up overnight and then disappear.

For some real intriguing charts, checkout coins created and named after current world leaders (PUTIN and TRUMP)...

persona 03-02-2017 06:20 PM

One BTC is now officially with more than an ounce of gold.

ninjacookies 03-02-2017 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=persona;12019162]One BTC is now officially with more than an ounce of gold.[/QUOTE]

Lol.

I keep looking at the BTC graph and falling into deeper depression. Only up, up, and up. And so many opportunities were to be had even when it recently cat bounced down to 800.

Ugh.

ninjacookies 03-02-2017 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=otmack2o;11916893]BTC is risky, yes. You feel it is too late to take a position, but I think there are methods to still do so. Those methods are called alternate cryptocurrencies. Find one that trades in Bitcoin and buy in on a down swing. It's riskier and with all "investments" there are no guarantees of future success, but let me tell you there are multiple examples of huge price fluctuations and the trading volume to really open your eyes.

Another important thing to keep in mind with cryptosporidium that trade in BTC is that for the most part, when the $ value of BTC increases the BTC value of alternate cryptic decreases. This is another indicator that can help you decide points to buy in.

Many of these alternate cryptos are fairly stable while others seem to pop up overnight and then disappear.

For some real intriguing charts, checkout coins created and named after current world leaders (PUTIN and TRUMP)...[/QUOTE]

I was actually pretty actively involved in the alt coin market around 2 years ago. But got out after constantly having to deal with scammy traders galore.

Final straw was having around 1,500 Monero coins vanish from another fly-by-night scam exchange. The typical 'we apologize, we were hacked and all coins were taken nice knowing you' splash page a-la mt. gox. Absolute garbage. This was back when monero was hovering around a buck each.

Now those same 1500 coins are worth upwards of close to 20k. Fun.

I agree. About 98 percent of these alts are created with premade scripts in some neckbeard's basement. No backing, no nothing. Simple early pump and dump schemes. There are really only a handful of alts that are really legit with possible long term adoption.

But I'd never get into any of that again. It was just way too much headache.

otmack2o 03-02-2017 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=ninjacookies;12019985]I was actually pretty actively involved in the alt coin market around 2 years ago. But got out after constantly having to deal with scammy traders galore.

Final straw was having around 1,500 Monero coins vanish from another fly-by-night scam exchange. The typical 'we apologize, we were hacked and all coins were taken nice knowing you' splash page a-la mt. gox. Absolute garbage. This was back when monero was hovering around a buck each.

Now those same 1500 coins are worth upwards of close to 20k. Fun.

I agree. About 98 percent of these alts are created with premade scripts in some neckbeard's basement. No backing, no nothing. Simple early pump and dump schemes. There are really only a handful of alts that are really legit with possible long term adoption.

But I'd never get into any of that again. It was just way too much headache.[/QUOTE]

You can still dabble, just don't "store" your coins on an exchange. I have had very good luck utilizing a smaller exchange that actually remotely trades across multiple larger exchanges. I don't keep a ton of value in my wallets there, but I have been using the site for a couple of years with zero issues.

[url]https://alcurex.com/#LTC-BTC[/url]

ninjacookies 03-03-2017 02:52 AM

[QUOTE=otmack2o;12020615]You can still dabble, just don't "store" your coins on an exchange. I have had very good luck utilizing a smaller exchange that actually remotely trades across multiple larger exchanges. I don't keep a ton of value in my wallets there, but I have been using the site for a couple of years with zero issues.

[url]https://alcurex.com/#LTC-BTC[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, will definitely check it out.