Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (https://www.blowoutforums.com/index.php)
-   BASEBALL (https://www.blowoutforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Alright men Sportkings is now priced on our sight. Who's in? (https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=155)

scottiff 08-01-2007 04:34 PM

Alright men Sportkings is now priced on our sight. Who's in?

I was so excited when I began reading info about this product. Just jacked up. Autos of some very prominent sports figures, very limited, it all sounded awesome. Then the price came out. $350 for an autograph, maybe two autos but no guarantee. I would love to lock up a case of this because it is so limited but it would be for the purpose of holding only. The price just scares the crap out of me. I really think now is the time to do it if you're going to but all my coin is tied up in Bowman Chrome. I may miss the boat anyway. So I guess bottom line is it looks like I'm out.

larkinfan11 08-01-2007 05:35 PM

Even if all of my money wasn't in Bowman Chrome, I'd be passing on this one. At that price point, I just don't see how anyone could make any money off of breaking it. Let alone even break even.

Wai 08-01-2007 08:54 PM

I would not touch Sportkings. Too risky.

BAMBAM 08-01-2007 09:05 PM

I'd like to see a checklist of all the autos. I originally was amped about this product but with only 1 guaranteed auto and that price point, I really need to see who is in this stuff.

scottiff 08-01-2007 09:13 PM

Here you go Eric [URL="http://www.sportkingsgum.com/products/0607_seriesa/seriesa_c_auto.php"]http://www.sportkingsgum.com/products/0607_seriesa/seriesa_c_auto.php[/URL]

BAMBAM 08-01-2007 09:16 PM

Thanks Scott - lots of big names BUT it would be very tough to break even with only 1 auto per box. Amanda Beard is SMOKIN' HOT but not $350. hot.

hargy12 08-01-2007 09:20 PM

I hate it when they add that disclaimer at the end of the checklist.

[SIZE="5"]Checklist subject to change up until release date. [/SIZE]

yazevans 08-02-2007 12:18 AM

Is anyone else confused about the configuration of this product? Chris' info says:

1 packs per Box...7 Cards per pack. 6 Boxes per Case. 3 mini Boxes per Box.

It also says:

Only 250 cases (4500
packs) being produced.

That equals 18 packs per case, and 3 packs per box. In that case, we're talking more like $115 per pack, which is much more interesting.

Am I way off on this or is Chris' info incorrect?

Jughead 08-02-2007 12:38 AM

A small adjustment will make this make sense:

1 pack per MINIBOX...7 Cards per pack. 6 Boxes per Case. 3 mini Boxes per Box.

Of course it's still out of order, but at least now the logic is there. $350 as a price for a box (not a minibox) sounds about right.

tooleman 08-09-2007 01:55 PM

Here's the wording of my allocation:

1 3-box case
Boxes are 1 pack, 7 cards per pack

Karl 08-09-2007 03:05 PM

I'll do a group beak on this. LOL! Slots are so pricey.

scottiff 08-09-2007 04:07 PM

I am still confused. Does a case have 3 boxes which would be 3 packs as there is 1 pack per box. Or 3 boxes with 3 mini boxes per box which would be 9 packs.

tooleman 08-09-2007 04:36 PM

My impression based on the price is that cases have 3 boxes and each box has one pack.

mfarmer1 08-09-2007 04:49 PM

I am in for 1 slot..........

Tim 08-09-2007 06:55 PM

I would do one slot.

sandlotsportcards 08-09-2007 08:29 PM

My allocation is also 1 three box case. Each box is one pack, 7 cards.

Karl 08-09-2007 09:19 PM

Seems three boxes of one pack each. Each pack has seven cards.

21 cards total per case?

At least the break would fit on one little youtube video!

LOL!

Magicman32 08-09-2007 09:47 PM

I would be willing to do one slot as well in a break of this.

BAMBAM 08-09-2007 10:02 PM

Your talking about $55.00 a slot delivered probably. Seems like alot considering only 3 people are guaranteed an auto.

Tim 08-09-2007 10:22 PM

I was thinking there would be a total of 10 slots. Nine hits and one slot that gets everything else.

danshobbyshop 08-10-2007 01:38 AM

With only 1500 cases this should sell out fast. A $450 SRP!!! Wow they are ambitious over at Sportkings. They did takeout a two page ad in the new Beckett. They don't even seem affiliated with the NFL, meaning no logos or team names. I guess that's to "Keep it real". Don't know much about the old Sportkings.

I would be interested in buying some slots and think it would be a great case break. You could do it with just 10 slots but the parallel base card that is vintage size will be hot. I would suggest having the full 21 slots and playing the thrill of the odds or even breaking it down as follows:

Each box having 5 slots,
Slot 1- Hard Signed Auto
Slot 2- Memorabilia or Auto
Slot 3- Memorabilia or Auto
Slot 4- Parallel base card (Vintage size)
Slot 5- Three Base Cards

danshobbyshop 08-10-2007 02:24 AM

Just a few notes about some of the Sport Kings Autographs

If we did the 15 slots it would have to be like $75 per slot. The 21 slot option would make it about $55 per slot.

[B]The one thing that makes me hesitant is the thought of pulling nothing but the following autographs:[/B]

[U]A-DC Carter, Don Bowling [/U]
(Bowling? All my heroes growing up were bowlers, yea right)

[U]A-LF Ferrigno, Lou Bodybuilding[/U]
(seems like a nice guy but I have been at events where he was signing for like $10 for an 8 x 10 photo and people were avoiding his area like the plague)

[U]A-NM Mansell, Nigel Motor Sports[/U]
Excerp from wikipedia-“fourth overall on the Formula One race winners list behind Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost, and Ayrton Senna.”
Just does not impress me, I guess I might offend some British Collectors.

[U]A-PH Hellmuth, Phil Poker[/U]
(no disrespect to those busting Razor Poker)

[U]A-PS Street, Picabo Skiing[/U]

[U]FSA-QJ Jackson, Quinton UFC[/U]
(Just not a fan of the sport)

[U]A-BB Beamon, Bob Track & Field[/U]-

Excerpt about his record jump:
“While this jump has been lauded by sports fans worldwide, there were significant environmental factors that contributed to this ‘Beamonesque’ mark. The primary factor was the altitude of Mexico City – 7400 feet. Altitude is of great benefit to events such as the long jump, and never before or since has such an important competition ever been held anywhere near this altitude. Many sprint and jump world records were broken at the 1968 Olympics because of this. Additionally, there was the maximum allowable (for record purposes) 2 meters per second aiding wind on his jump. Add to that, immediately after Beamon’s jump a major rainstorm came down, making it much harder for his competitors to try and match his feat. A perfect confluence of environmental factors to help make this history’s most stunning long jump.
[I][COLOR="Blue"]That Beamon surpassed himself can be seen by noting that his next best jump in his career measured 8.33 m (27 ft. 4 in.), after the gold medal he never again jumped over 8.22 m (26 ft. 11¾ in.).”[/COLOR][/I]

[COLOR="Red"]That being said I am a fan of Track and Field but for the cost of these boxes how about a Jesse Owens signature cut.[/COLOR]

Tim 08-14-2007 10:27 AM

I ordered my case. Just found out today they added some awesome cuts as well. Most people are bashing this product, but I have a feeling it's going to be a big winner due to the content and low production.

CaptainBOHICA 08-14-2007 10:39 AM

which cuts were added?

Tim 08-14-2007 11:43 AM

From sportkings' latest email...

How about the three different cut autograph insert sets. Papercuts, Vintage Papercuts and Presidential Sportkings! Unbelievable.

Papercuts feature autographs from deceased Sportkings from the base card checklist; Jackie Robinson, Rocky Marciano, Roberto Clemente, Willie Shoemaker, Ted Williams, Willie Mosconi and Terry Sawchuk.

Jackie Robinson Sportkings Papercuts Autograph Card

Vintage Papercuts feature autographs from the original 1933 Sport Kings set including; Eddie Shore, Gene Sarazen, Primo Carnera, Max Baer, Nat Holman, Ellsworth Vines, James Wedell and Ace Bailey.

Primo Carnera Sportkings Vintage Papercuts Autograph Card

And the crowning jewel in the Sportkings Series A cut autograph insert crown is the Presidential Sportkings insert set including cut signatures of: John F. Kennedy, Herbert Hoover, Woodrow Wilson, Jimmy Carter and eleven more.