View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
rogermaris

Exclamation Fake Autograph Card Ring - Kobe, Harper, Mays & More...

Not sure this has ever been posted before (seems it's been going on a while) but I figured I should make a post about this just in case people are unaware.

First of all, let me say that these cards are very different from the fakes coming out of China and Taiwan. The Chinese fakes were recreated from the ground up, which is why they are so easily able to pass third party authentication -- under a microscope, they look just like the real thing for the most part.

On the other hand, these forgeries appear to be based on high quality scans of real cards, with only the foil stamping and/or holograms recreated from scratch. For this reason, I do not believe any of these fakes have passed third party grading (and I don't think they'd be able to).

That being said, it's very difficult to tell from a normal scan so be advised...

1. CONFIRMED FAKE - 2000-01 Kobe Bryant Ovation Autograph

Vast majority of these being sold on ebay are fake. Here's an example of a fake one:

Here's a real one:

2. CONFIRMED FAKE - 1996 Topps Willie Mays autograph

Vast majority of these being sold on ebay are fake. Here's an example of a fake one:

Here's a real one:

3. CONFIRMED FAKE - 2009 Upper Deck Bryce Harper

Here's a real one:

4. CONFIRMED FAKE - 2003 Topps Team Legends Willie Mays

They love Mays! Majority of these being sold on ebay are fake:

Here's a real one:

5. CONFIRMED FAKE - 2001 Upper Deck Legends Johnny Unitas

Here’s a fake one:

And a real one:

Although I’ve seen them being sold by many sellers (some of whom are unwitting I’m sure) there are a handful of sellers for whom these cards seem to be bread and butter. In fact, you may have noticed a common background on many of the fake cards. The cards were all listed by the same seller:

Let’s take a look at his sold listings, shall we?

Now, as guilty as this guy surely is, I don’t think he’s the only one doing this. I think there are several sellers who have gotten ahold of these fake cards and are cutting, signing, and then selling them all themselves.

I also believe that this is the tip of the iceberg. There are many other sets that I suspect are being faked, which I will be dedicating the next comment to. That being said, it can be hard to confirm since these are scans of real cards, albeit low res.

Last edited by rogermaris; 05-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
rogermaris is offline   Reply With Quote